No Smoking.... Problems Problems

Guest the dukester

Guest Bogue

all it does is make em`happy,99% of drinkers are just happy.......pull the other one,its got bells on it.

:lol: Alright then, 98%.

Anyway p*** off i'm having a drink :rolleyes::yes::no:

Social source share

• Replies 97
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Here we go again.

I'll stop if & when I want to stop, not when the hypocritical government want me to.

Stopped twice before (2 yrs & 5 yrs).

Why do all non smokers always assume that all smokers want to stop? I enjoy my daily intake of nicotine.

Biggest grumble is that the ban was not in the Labour party manifesto, won't get my vote any more.

If they really wanted us to stop they'd ban the sale of all tobacco products. Can't see that somehow, can you?

Would cost the country nearly 19 billion pounds a year.

Where would they get the shortfall from? VAT on kids clothes, extra 10p a litre on fuel, increase in income tax?

Should be thanking us for all the money we save you.

One last point, who's paying for the so called free drugs that are supposed to help you stop?

You are....

Social source share

Here we go again.

I'll stop if & when I want to stop, not when the hypocritical government want me to.

Stopped twice before (2 yrs & 5 yrs).

Why do all non smokers always assume that all smokers want to stop? I enjoy my daily intake of nicotine.

Biggest grumble is that the ban was not in the Labour party manifesto, won't get my vote any more.

If they really wanted us to stop they'd ban the sale of all tobacco products. Can't see that somehow, can you?

Would cost the country nearly 19 billion pounds a year.

Where would they get the shortfall from? VAT on kids clothes, extra 10p a litre on fuel, increase in income tax?

Should be thanking us for all the money we save you.

One last point, who's paying for the so called free drugs that are supposed to help you stop?

You are....

:rolleyes::yes::lol:

Take it you've run out at the moment though ? :no:

Social source share

in spain the so called 'anti tabaco' law is a total joke. basically, proprietors with premises under 100sq mts were able to choose if they wanted to be smoking or non-smoking, as most thought the latter would be bad for their trade, most of them chose the smoking option. consequently, when you go out on a weekend you still come home like a kipper. I was in edinburgh last weekend & it was a pleasure to get home unkipper like. my scots friends told me the only disadvantage with the smoking ban was that farts were much more detectable now than before. I quite liked the 'don't take my glass I'm having a fag outside' beermats too. I don't smoke, though I have done in the past, so I can understand both sides of the argument. at the end of the day it all boils down to a health issue. contaminate or be contaminated.

Social source share

Living in Dublin we have gotten well used to the smoking ban and it doesn't bother me, a smoker at all. It is amazing how quickly you get used to it. The only downside is the new smells you get in the pub i.e. B.O,farting etc.

Most pubs have security controlling the smoking areas and i've yet to come across any rucks happening, most lads reckon it's a great way to meet birds infact.

Most late night places that are not allowing anymore new customers in will stamp the hand of a smoker on their way out so they can be easily distinguished from people chancing their luck to get in.

Basically you will need people/security to monitor people leaving and coming back in.

Hope this may be of some use. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Running up and down the stairs every 5 minutes leting em in and out is not an option what do you do???

:rolleyes:

If it was me, then I wouldn't have any passouts after 11pm. If this is advertised in someway on flyers etc., then there can be no misunderstandings on policy. There can be no excuses then if people are forewarned.

I'm sure that most people go out to do's to listen to the music and not for a cigarette. Most promoters put on events for the music, not to put on a smoking event, don't they? :yes:

Social source share

If it was me, then I wouldn't have any passouts after 11pm. If this is advertised in someway on flyers etc., then there can be no misunderstandings on policy. There can be no excuses then if people are forewarned.

I'm sure that most people go out to do's to listen to the music and not for a cigarette. Most promoters put on events for the music, not to put on a smoking event, don't they? :rolleyes:

I bet you spit and polish your jackboots every day ,so that you can kick anyone into shape that does'nt abide by your rules and regs :yes::lol:

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

the ban on smoking is good, the point is why not for a few hours smokers will do without one or just quit. It does us no favours when go out and not smoke and yet see smokers who are inhaling there smoke to use aswell as them.

It's different for drink cause like someone said we are not forced to drink so we can't end up worse from it, but when someone smokes what should we do move away to stop us inhaling it. Unless they stopped but it happens that more then 1 person maybe smoking.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

It's like living in nazi Germany here, this non smoking law is fascist. They should have banned it in restaurants, cinemas, buses etc etc but to ban cigarettes from pubs, they might as well ban alcoholic drinks. Who voted for this law, I certainly didn't. And I'm only a part time smoker, but the way this government is stripping away everyones rights, and we're letting them, is very very worrying

Hi Pete, what about the rights of non-smokers? Surely it is logical to prioritise the rights of those whose behaviour doesnt harm others? Why should they have to suffer an increased chance of smoking related illnesses when they go to the local for a pint? Your post appears to assume that everyone who goes to the pub is a smoker. They are not. I used to be a forty a day man until about 8 years ago, and before the smoking ban was introduced in Ireland, I thought it was a bit dictatorial even though I was by then a non-smoker. However, in hindsight I think it was the right move. Second hand smoke can kill, its proven scientifically and to argue for the right to be able to smoke in shared public spaces with non smokers is very inconsiderate of their rights. Personal liberty should never be extended to the point where one's enjoyment or indulgence is detrimental to the well being of others.

Furthermore, although no fan of the government it is fallacious to argue that we live in anything akin to a Nazi state. The government can be voted out, something not permitted in fascist societies. The law isn't fascist as it was legislated for by MPs who were given this mandate by the people of this country. We the people, have given them the permission to do this on our behalf. Participatory forms of democracy where each individual gets a say are not conducive to the funtioning of a modern state.If you would like to be able to vote on such issues I suggest run for election as an MP.

Regards, Andrew

Social source share

Guest Simon

I'm a non smoker & have always been & although i'm personally glad there's going to be no smoking in pubs etc. i don't agree with the way it's been imposed, i would rather see people educated out of smoking rather than it being forced on people.

I'm also not quite sure how it's going to be policed, are they going to start having CCTV in all pubs?

My main concern though is smokers are such an easy target & there's much more pressing things that need to be addressed such as other people have mentioned in this thread 'Alcohol related crime', this for me is the number one issue in this country at the moment, it's grim & getting worse.

Simon

Social source share

I'm a non smoker & have always been & although i'm personally glad there's going to be no smoking in pubs etc. i don't agree with the way it's been imposed, i would rather see people educated out of smoking rather than it being forced on people.

I'm also not quite sure how it's going to be policed, are they going to start having CCTV in all pubs?

My main concern though is smokers are such an easy target & there's much more pressing things that need to be addressed such as other people have mentioned in this thread 'Alcohol related crime', this for me is the number one issue in this country at the moment, it's grim & getting worse.

Simon

Not according to Bogue,98% of drinkers are just happy............i think the smoking ban is a shot in the arm for beer sales,i`m sure lots of people will just become secret super market led drinkers so storing up trouble for later............ :thumbsup:

Social source share

Nope the tired old argument is the one your putting accross, its a red herring, a duff, load of old codswallop :yes:

Smoking generates around 2/3rds more revenue than is used on smokers by the NHS. thats an absolute fact no room for argument!

Along with this pasive smoking malarky, its all boloxs, anti smoking campainers paid for the research buy two scientists in the 80's until they found out that there is no real risk involved, your more likely to catch lung cancer from breating in the air down the high street every day, of course they wouldn't tell you that though would they :thumbsup:

:no::no::no::lol::lol::shades:

You're not serious are you Baz. Anti smoking campaigners have nothing to gain from people stoping smoking. The tobacco firms are a little different I suspect. They are now actively pursuing new markets in the developing world but I'm sure its just because they are in favour of free choice.

The NHS may only spend 2/3rds of the tax raised on tobacco on treating smokers (I suspect it is less BTW) but what about the amount it spends on treating non smokers, including children, with smoking related deseases.

I am not a raging anti smoker, in fact I sucessfully managed to get our company's new (anti) smoking policy scrapped because it was, in my view un neccessarily restrictive, but I do know business and if you swallow the lines spewed out by Ken Clark and his like you are at best deluded.

Social source share

Simon

Also as a non smoker, (never have) I agree with you Simon. Although I'd add drug to alchohol related crime.

I have a few pubs as clients. Where i live, the law will be enforced by council snoopers patrolling pubs etc at random. Lower even than a traffic warden imo. Which brings me onto my next point, Andy R posted this ;

Surely it is logical to prioritise the rights of those whose behaviour doesnt harm others?

While thats a reasonable statement, surely, going back to Simons point the money would be far beter spent protecting children, pensioners, in fact everybody, from crime, however fuelled.

When people are affected by crime, they generally have no choice. Non smokers do. They don't HAVE to go to the pub do they ? All a bit holier than thou imo.

What does anybody expect from a government who put the banning of fox hunting before crime, health, education and even banning smoking.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

You're not serious are you Baz. Anti smoking campaigners have nothing to gain from people stoping smoking.

Some people just like interfering. :shades:

The tobacco firms are a little different I suspect. They are now actively pursuing new markets in the developing world but I'm sure its just because they are in favour of free choice.

Yes, that third world exploitation and impending health crisis is entirely the fault of those who have destroyed the western markets for tobacco. :thumbsup:

The NHS may only spend 2/3rds of the tax raised on tobacco on treating smokers (I suspect it is less BTW) but what about the amount it spends on treating non smokers, including children, with smoking related deseases.

I'd assumed that it was included in the 30% of tobacco revenue costs but you may be correct. :lol:

As for who is responsible for what propoganda, Roy Castle is often trotted out as a victim of tobacco smoke but in fact died of a cancer unrelated to smoking. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. :lol: Was standing in Gatwick havnig a fag, my flight having been delayed for two hours, and wondering what the hell I was going to do when smoking is banned? I don't like flying that much, usually need a pint and a few smokes before getting on the plane, suspect that I'll be avoiding too much travel now. Not that there is any reason for getting rid of segregated airport smoking areas, is there? Not like anyone works in them or the smoke isn't abstracted away from other people. Fascism, thats what it is. No smoking on station platforms either, how is that justified? :angry:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Not according to Bogue,98% of drinkers are just happy............i think the smoking ban is a shot in the arm for beer sales,i`m sure lots of people will just become secret super market led drinkers so storing up trouble for later............ :thumbsup:

All right 97%, my final offer !! :lol:

All i was trying to say Ken was that the majority of people who commit violence when drunk are violent people anyhow & that society wrongly seems to give a bit of leniency when people are under the influence.

To me violence is violence end of, & every recource should be used to stop it happening, but banning alcohol still wouldn't stop it ! They would just move on to some other crutch to blame for their actions !

cannabis perhaps :lol:

Social source share

Guest the dukester

as gone a bit off the original post and more onto non-soul related stuff

be looking at moving it to freebasing in a bit or spliting the event related sort of stuff

Yeh

Was really looking for suggestions on the letting in and out of smokers after the door closure policy.

I dont really think the tax gained by the goverment will have any bearing on this :P:rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

be looking at moving it to freebasing in a bit or spliting the event related sort of stuff

Oops, sorry :rolleyes:

Personally I'd hate to be locked in a venue and not be able to get back in after popping out for a smoke if I needed/wanted one, this is probably going to be a very real issue for many venues, particularly smaller ones. May lead to early departures by some who are desperate for a smoke at the end if it can't be accommodated, we always suffered a bit of an emptying out for the last train and now it looks like there may be a similar effect with people leaving for a fag as well. May have to buy some of that disgusting nicotine gum, maybe events could leave some at the door?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Hi Stuart! See you in Gothenburg at the end of the summer?

Some venues in Sweden has sorted it by having a smokers room.

tjea! Christian

:rolleyes: Which weekend are you on? Sadly our lawmakers are too anti smokers to be so practical as to allow them to be isolated in a smoking room. Mind, in the smoking room in your venue its necessary to hang on to the table in case the extractor fan sucks you out of the room! Is it right that smoking rooms are only allowed in venues without direct street access and that you can't drink in them? That would have been perfectly acceptable over here but even that is not allowed, for no reason.

Social source share

I think we're using & abusing the term fascism here. Fascism is torch-lit parades in Nuremburg, bombs falling on Guernika & Durango & dwarves trying to resuscitate the Roman Empire. Tony Blair isn't Adolf, however much some of you may insist. I suppose the carping will continue when Cameron gets elected. The great British Public has a long standing habit of turning on its elected government. It's quite amusing watching it from here.

Social source share

Right, well, soul-related content then: I for one am in favour of the smoking ban as it means I won't have to put up with idiots who bring their lit cigarettes onto the dance floor! I am amazed that I am the first person to have thought of this one... :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Right, well, soul-related content then: I for one am in favour of the smoking ban as it means I won't have to put up with idiots who bring their lit cigarettes onto the dance floor! I am amazed that I am the first person to have thought of this one... :rolleyes:

Spot on Jessica.

I remember Trickster nearly get thrown out for complaining to a bouncer at the niter on the Old Kent Road, because some herbert had burnt TWO holes in one of his hawaiian shirts. It was some antique thing that was dead expensive, and a few drunks were being pratts.

Result the bouncers pick in Chris, and I think (but dont quote me) that when Rob Messer went to help Chris one of the bouncers whacked Rob.

So no fags on the dancefloor will be very welcome.

Social source share

Yes all that running up and down stairs the smokers will be too f*cked for a dance, you'll need oxygen at the top of the stairs :wicked:

I for one can't wait for the ban. I won't have to breathe in the sh*t the smokers chuck out and go home smelling like an ashtray :rolleyes:

Social source share

Yes all that running up and down stairs the smokers will be too f*cked for a dance, you'll need oxygen at the top of the stairs :lol:

I for one can't wait for the ban. I won't have to breathe in the sh*t the smokers chuck out and go home smelling like an ashtray :D

A bit of a contradiction here. Surely the whole point of the smokers going outside is so that you aren't affected by their habit.

Or is it that the constant opening of the door might create a nasty draught ! :wicked:

Anyway, the ban will soon be upon us, and is bound to affect some venues.

Personally, I think I will stand far less chance soon of dying from passive boredom whilst listening to all you healthy types harp on about my smoking :thumbsup:

"STOLEN HOURS"

RAMSGATE 21st JULY

Social source share

You're not serious are you Baz. Anti smoking campaigners have nothing to gain from people stoping smoking.

Some people just like interfering. :lol:

The tobacco firms are a little different I suspect. They are now actively pursuing new markets in the developing world but I'm sure its just because they are in favour of free choice.

Yes, that third world exploitation and impending health crisis is entirely the fault of those who have destroyed the western markets for tobacco. :thumbsup:

I'd assumed that it was included in the 30% of tobacco revenue costs but you may be correct. :D

As for who is responsible for what propoganda, Roy Castle is often trotted out as a victim of tobacco smoke but in fact died of a cancer unrelated to smoking. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. :wicked: Was standing in Gatwick havnig a fag, my flight having been delayed for two hours, and wondering what the hell I was going to do when smoking is banned? I don't like flying that much, usually need a pint and a few smokes before getting on the plane, suspect that I'll be avoiding too much travel now. Not that there is any reason for getting rid of segregated airport smoking areas, is there? Not like anyone works in them or the smoke isn't abstracted away from other people. Fascism, thats what it is. No smoking on station platforms either, how is that justified? :angry:

Stuart it was Baz that said it was 30% like I said I think its less than that just for smokers ailments.

I didn't include the 30 million plus work days related to smoking related illness and the cost to industry.

I also didn't include the cost in human life, it will be of no suprise to you I'm sure that this has been calculated, a single life in economic terms comes in acording to the DoT at some £680k so around £80bn per year in lost human potential. What is clear to me is my aunt died in a house fire due to dropping a lit cigarette, my dad died at 49 from cronary thrombosis and coronary arterial schlerosis having smoked since the age of 8 and right through a professional boxing career.

As I said earlier I was against the ban and actively fought against it within my own company but that is because I think people should be free to choose.

Venues need to addrss the issue for punters but the ban is here and like the assault on the country's drivers were all gonna have to live with it.

Social source share

In most states of Australia the ban as been in for over a year , from the experiences of several events we run in Queensland it dont affect the numbers if ya '' hard core'' ya still going to got out and get ya fix of soul. What we are found it causes a major problem where there are more people outside as the non - smokers follow the smokers out for a chin wag , so the room is empty and stuffs the atsmophere up , at the last Surfers paradise night they had to resort to locking the outside smoking area to keep people in the room . Luckly at the Brisbane gig theres only room outside for half dozen at a time so not a problem at that night .Good luck with it John

Social source share

I don't think stopping people from moving about is the answer either. last summer in gij³n, they threw open the central patio at about 4am & there was an exodus outide. those that wanted to remain on the dancefloor remained on the dancefloor, no big deal. people just went backwards & forwards from the two 'pistas' to the patio. it was more a case of escaping the heat than anything else, 'cos here, as I said before, the smoking ban, in practice, doesn't seem to work.

Social source share

Guest hurryup

I don't think stopping people from moving about is the answer either. last summer in gij³n, they threw open the central patio at about 4am & there was an exodus outide. those that wanted to remain on the dancefloor remained on the dancefloor, no big deal. people just went backwards & forwards from the two 'pistas' to the patio. it was more a case of escaping the heat than anything else, 'cos here, as I said before, the smoking ban, in practice, doesn't seem to work.

Of course the smoking ban will work at all the soul venues because the people who attend them are really the most caring and considerate people you could wish to meet :thumbsup: . They're not really emotionally hooked on their addiction :thumbup: and they are so intelligent that they know they are only fooling themselves when they say stupid things like- "I don't want to stop, I enjoy a smoke." :thumbsup: Yeh, ok!!

Social source share

Of course the smoking ban will work at all the soul venues because the people who attend them are really the most caring and considerate people you could wish to meet :thumbsup: . They're not really emotionally hooked on their addiction :thumbup: and they are so intelligent that they know they are only fooling themselves when they say stupid things like- "I don't want to stop, I enjoy a smoke." :thumbsup: Yeh, ok!!

Quite. My post was in reference to the lock-ins mentioned by rushden8.

You know, stopping non-smokers from joiners smokers outside for a chinwag.

Seems a bit authoritarian to me. Some people just like to have a breather.

Social source share

Guest hurryup

Quite. My post was in reference to the lock-ins mentioned by rushden8.

You know, stopping non-smokers from joiners smokers outside for a chinwag.

Seems a bit authoritarian to me. Some people just like to have a breather.

Yes, I appreciate that, just ignore me, I am one of those terrible ex-smokers who have (so far) succeeded in quitting. We are worse than life long non-smokers simply because, after years of fooling ourselves, we suddenly become aware of the benefits of not smoking and that it's not really that hard to quit :thumbsup:

You've only to walk out from the dance floor and into the bar at the Empress Rooms to realise how much cigarettes pollute the atmosphere. Last time I was there, I could only manage 45 seconds, nearly passed out with the stench. Come the next one in August, things will be different. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

The smoking ban will work. Most smokers in Ireland that were initially opposed to it now agree with it. They are saving money as they have cut down. Anyway the point of the ban is to protect people who dont smoke in shared public spaces. I think that is a logical thing to do. After most allnighters I have a cough the next day and it is as a result of other peoples unhealthy habits. I quit smoking years ago and no longer want to breate in tobacco smoke. The way some people are reacting you would think there is going to be a total ban on smoking; there isnt and if there was I would disagree with it, its a matter of personal choice. However, the ban in public enclosed spaces ensures the rights of non smokers who dont want to suffer from passive smoking. How can anyone disagree with that? It seems like common sense.

Social source share

The smoking ban will work. Most smokers in Ireland that were initially opposed to it now agree with it. They are saving money as they have cut down. Anyway the point of the ban is to protect people who dont smoke in shared public spaces. I think that is a logical thing to do. After most allnighters I have a cough the next day and it is as a result of other peoples unhealthy habits. I quit smoking years ago and no longer want to breate in tobacco smoke. The way some people are reacting you would think there is going to be a total ban on smoking; there isnt and if there was I would disagree with it, its a matter of personal choice. However, the ban in public enclosed spaces ensures the rights of non smokers who dont want to suffer from passive smoking. How can anyone disagree with that? It seems like common sense.

Brilliant post, well put sir.......On topic, I am worried about what will happen at my allnighter when the ban comes in. The location is right in the busy town centre, surrounded by divvie clubs, spewing out pissed up divvies, who are going to come accross my guests having a smoke outside.........not a good situation me thinks. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

It's good to ban it and this is a good thought to all smokers and the like

numbers will not go down, because if you are a hardcore Northern soul fan who goes out to hear the music you will atill attend even if it means you can't smoke or just outside.

What good is it if you say i ain't going cause i won't be able to smoke

Social source share

Was at a venue a couple of months ago & in the week the room is used as a restaurant.

Room was no smoking as it served food at other times.

Totally agree with that, wouldn't dream of lighting up a fag in an area that served food.

Place had a seperate little room for smoking away from the main room.

Common sense aproach but from July even this will be banned.

Just out of curiousity does anybody know where the law stands regarding private partys & functions?

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Was at a venue a couple of months ago & in the week the room is used as a restaurant.

Room was no smoking as it served food at other times.

Totally agree with that, wouldn't dream of lighting up a fag in an area that served food.

Place had a seperate little room for smoking away from the main room.

Common sense aproach but from July even this will be banned.

Just out of curiousity does anybody know where the law stands regarding private partys & functions?

Hi

basically the law pertains to a ban on smoking in enclosed public spaces only. If you have a private party or function if it is in your house or private dwellings then everyone can smoke themselves daft if they see fit. However, a private function in a hotel is still a function in a public building. I also thin k the law relates to protecting workers from second hand smoke as well.

Social source share

Guest wAvy

I FRANKLY AM JUST FED UP OF WASHING/DRYING MY HAIR ALL WEEKEND AFTER GOING OUT COS IT STINKS! ITS FRIZZY AS f*** WHAT WITH ALL THE HEAT TREATMENT I'M GIVIN IT!

NOT TO MENTION THE SMELL OF MY CLOTHES - WOULD BE NICE TO GET 2 WEARS OUT OF THEM INSTEAD OF STRAIGHT IN THE WASHER THE NEXT DAY.

YES, I'M AN EX-SMOKER CAN'T YOU TELL. YES I AM SHOUTING SO STICK THAT IN YOUR PIPE/FAGS AND SMOKE IT! biggrin.gif

WaVY

Social source share

Guest bill storey

Being and ex-smoker, 'well I did have a couple of cigarettes on new years eve so I've been informed' and although I must admit I do prefer coming back from wherever not smelling like an ash tray I think smoke is an integral part of british pub/club culture. I have visited Scotland and been in non smoking pubs and while I think there should be adequalte ventilation the essense of burning tobacco in these places is all part of the atmospere, it can seem a little stiff and clinical IMHO and with the comlaints about talc and occasional spilt drinks the night out could end up being a little too serious rather than a bit of relaxed fun.

Social source share

Being and ex-smoker, 'well I did have a couple of cigarettes on new years eve so I've been informed' and although I must admit I do prefer coming back from wherever not smelling like an ash tray I think smoke is an integral part of british pub/club culture. I have visited Scotland and been in non smoking pubs and while I think there should be adequalte ventilation the essense of burning tobacco in these places is all part of the atmospere, it can seem a little stiff and clinical IMHO and with the comlaints about talc and occasional spilt drinks the night out could end up being a little too serious rather than a bit of relaxed fun.

75% of the adult population do not smoke. To me going home smelling of fags, which is imposed on us by the other 25%, is certainly not "part of the atmosphere".

At least talc and spilt drinks can just be wiped up unlike fag smoke.

Edited by DazCymru
Social source share

Guest bill storey

I agree I don't like smelling like an ash tray myself but it's just a shame it's inevitable, however I still find clean smelling pubs and clubs a bit clinical.

Anyway so long as everyone has a good time that is all that matters :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert