Mccall

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Dudes and Dudettes

I wonder does anyone know who the writer McCall is, credited on the Rotary Connection's "Love Me Now", the opening track on "Dinner Music"?

Possibly Cash McCall (Maurice Dollison) Lisa, Chicago singer and songwriter and session musician.

Social source share

very well indeed. It has beautiful harmonies, it's very soulful and still a little funky. It has that great sound of the crossover of soul and trippiness of the time, but best of all the break down is very cool and perfect in length for a bit of the old floorwork if you're that way inclined. Shame it's not on 45...hmmm...

Social source share

very well indeed. It has beautiful harmonies, it's very soulful and still a little funky. It has that great sound of the crossover of soul and trippiness of the time, but best of all the break down is very cool and perfect in length for a bit of the old floorwork if you're that way inclined. Shame it's not on 45...hmmm...

Ah... but it is.

I have it on a 45!

And have 'tried' playing it out.... about 10 years ago.

Was not well received at the time... but times change.

A future left field monster?

Hope so.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Haven't heard that one! I was quite fond of "Magical World" at one time though. The late Charles Stepney (of Earth, Wind & Fire fame) and one Sidney Barnes were also members of the group!

(looked them up here)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_Connection

I think a couple of their albums got a UK release also.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Right up your street Mel, I reckon.

Seek it out (before they all want one).

:thumbsup:

Sean

Right, I will then! Thanks

(Before certain individuals decide to take a hammer to them... :lol:)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Back to the original question though did C Mcall not always write under his proper name (Mr Dollinson) rather than McCall so not sure we have correct writer,

any chance of soundclip as I like a little leftfield (only have RC reissue CD so doubt it is on that)

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

I'm pretty sure this is Morris Dollison/Cash McCall. A great songwriter: That's How It Is (Otis Clay/Laura Lee) is one of the greatest songs in all of soul. The RC cut mentioned above is fantastic and I'm sure its time has come.

Social source share

Back to the original question though did C Mcall not always write under his proper name (Mr Dollinson) rather than McCall so not sure we have correct writer,

Cheers

Jock

HI Jock, When I first posted I thought that too, anyway decided to google him and i've just been reading about Maurice on Wiki'......found that he worked on Rotary Connection sessions so it's more than likely being the man he was/is he had other input too.

Derek.

Edited by DelTee
Social source share

HI Jock, When I first posted I thought that too, anyway decided to google him and i've just been reading about Maurice on Wiki'......found that he worked on Rotary Connection sessions so it's more than likely being the man he was/is he had other input too.

Derek.

Keep forgetting about Wilkipedia, learn something every day on this site.

On the recommendation of Mr Sweeney above have just sent away to the very reliable Dusty Groove for copy of the album so looking forward to that!

Social source share

I have most of the LPs and "Teach me How to Fly" on a 45, which is a bit to psychedelic for the soul scene I think.

The LPs are very experimental. "Black Gold of the Sun" was revived for the chill out market in the 90s.

I know Gareth's favourite is "Peace at Least" from the least valuable Christmas album, it starrts off dead corny, but the build up of emotion towards the end is very moving, good one to slap on at xmas dos.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I have most of the LPs and "Teach me How to Fly" on a 45, which is a bit to psychedelic for the soul scene I think.

The LPs are very experimental. "Black Gold of the Sun" was revived for the chill out market in the 90s.

I know Gareth's favourite is "Peace at Least" from the least valuable Christmas album, it starrts off dead corny, but the build up of emotion towards the end is very moving, good one to slap on at xmas dos.

My favourite RC record is their take on Jagger /Richards "Lady Jane"........I wouldnt call it a dancer though ......lol

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert