Flip It And Find A Seat

Guest Michael Higgins

Guest Michael Higgins

Anyone of a mind, this quiet Sunday, to nominate any deep soul classics hidden on the flip sides of northern soul records? These have to be PROPER deep soul, and not just some ballad, or slowie of questionable quality. They should, in other words, be utterly fabulous, and you should consider that anyone with access to a copy of the record would be well-advised to place their entire life on hold while they seek it out, flip, play the track, find a leather armchair, and crack open the twelve-year-old malt.

A few of the well known and widely acknowledged examples are:

Tommy Turner "I'll be gone" (Flip of either "Lazy" or "Lady" on El-Bam)

Debbie Taylor "I don't wanna leave you" (Flip of "Just don't pay" on Arista)

Sam and Bill "I feel like crying" (Flip of "I'll try" on Decca)

Otis Clay "That's the way it is" (Flip of "Showplace" on One-der-ful)

Jimmy Robins' relentlessly, viscerally brilliant "I made it over" (Flip of "I can't please you" on Jerhart)

..to which, I nominate:

Tee Fletcher "Pardon me while I cry" (Flip of "Happy loving you" on Shurfine)

Prince Harold "Why'd you go away" (Flip of "Born to please" on Verve)

Dee Dee Sharp "You're gonna miss me" (Flip of "What kind of lady" on Action/Gamble)

Betty Harris "What'd I do wrong" (Flip of "12 red roses" on Sansu)

Not helped by my computer's continuing inability to put up sound clips, but nevermind. unsure.gif

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

agree with the flip of jimmy robins it is simply sensational,

these below are stunning deep soul records

EMORY AND THE DYNAMICS-LOVE THAT REAL-PEACHTREE [FLIP TO PRETTY LITTLE SCHOOLGIRL]

MARVELLOS-IM WITHOUT A GIRL-ABC FLIP TO SO CONFUSED ONE OF THE BEST DEEP SOUL TRACKS EVER

KENNY HAMBER-AINT GONNA CRY NO MORE-ARTIC [FLIP TO ANYTHING YOU WANT

JERRY BUTLER-GO AWAY FIND YOURSELF-MERCURY [AWESOME]FLIP TO MOODY WOMEN ON RED MERCURY.

CHUCK ROBERSON-YOU DONT LOVE ME -BLUE SONG-FLIP TO GOT TO HAVE YOUR LOVE.

good thread there are so many.

cash mc call-sos -checker flip to im in danger.

BAZ A thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest rachel

Anybody like to post up some clips of some of these for us? shades.gif

I'm just off to find a leather armchair... I may be some time...

Social source share

forgot to mention the flip of carles cc carlson on bold is mndblowing called dont want to sit down,I THINK WILL CHECK SHORTLY.

BAZ A

no need to check you got title right thumbsup.gif

arthur freeman on jumbo has a killer deep soul flip.

and

sam williams on tower ditto.

both reviewed on the internet.

and I had and sold loretta williams "baby cakes" jotis before flipping it which was a mistake on my part. :angry:

Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

Anybody like to post up some clips of some of these for us? :rolleyes:

I'm just off to find a leather armchair... I may be some time...

I'd love to, but the way my browser is behaving, I'd have an easier time getting you the armchair and the malt whisky than I would have posting a clip! :rolleyes:

I'll email MP3s of anything I have to anyone on request though. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest rachel

I'd love to, but the way my browser is behaving, I'd have an easier time getting you the armchair and the malt whisky than I would have posting a clip! :rolleyes:

I'll email MP3s of anything I have to anyone on request though. thumbsup.gif

I hope it's a single malt... :rolleyes:

Missed the bit in your first post about not being able to post clips! Anyone else?

Social source share

Guest kev such

I know its really the A side, but the flip to Bobby Sheen "Something new to do".

Title "I may not be what you want" just a great soulful tune IMO

When i get a new tune, i always play the opposite side i bought it for first. Just incase there is a gem on the flip.

Kev

Social source share

Guest rachel

one of the greatest ever and i mean this is the flip to rescue me SOUL OF THE MAN -i swear this is one of the deepest most soulful records ever[getting excited now]deep soul my fav any day ,just puts the politics/ big sounds into perspective imho .

BAZ A.

That is indeed a beautiful track thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Betty Willis "Gone With The Wind.............."

Flipside "Ain't Gonna Do You No Harm" now thats a deepie thumbsup.gif

Cheers Paul

oh yes mindblowing tune :rolleyes: paul the flip of hope we have the artisitics the brilliant im gonna miss you ,spun it the other week,sounded so bloody good.

BAZ A.

Social source share

Great thread

5 Top Tips.... from the top of my head.

Double sided Masterpieces.

1. Check the Flip To Carol Anderson "Sad Girl"... I'll Get Off At The Next Stop......... Tremendous!

2. How about the B side to Sam Williams "Love Slipped Through My Fingers" namely "Let's Talk It Over"

3. Masqueraders "I Aint Gonna Stop" on AGP reveals the superb "I'm Just An Average Guy" on the reverse.

4. Tyrone Davis "Turn Back The Hands Of Time" has the crushingly brilliant "I Keep Coming Back" on the flip.

5. And the B side that turned me onto the Deeper shades of Soul, way back in 1969... the Flipside to Sam & Dave's "Hold On I'm Coming" hides the majestic "I've Got Everything I Need" which is up there with the very best from Eddie & Ernie, Willie & Anthony, James & Bobby (and then some).

:shades:

Sean

Social source share

While I applaud the general thrust of this thread, I just have to ask - should it not be reversed?

Some of us are willing to spend big money on the 'deep' sides of, in some cases pretty average 'Northern' records.

For instance - 'Please Take Me Back' by the Masqueraders is far better than than the very average 'How Big Is Big' which was eventually discovered by the northern bods.

'I'll be gone' by Tommy Turner is far better than either of the sides that happen to be on the reverse.

Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

While I applaud the general thrust of this thread, I just have to ask - should it not be reversed?

Some of us are willing to spend big money on the 'deep' sides of, in some cases pretty average 'Northern' records.

For instance - 'Please Take Me Back' by the Masqueraders is far better than than the very average 'How Big Is Big' which was eventually discovered by the northern bods.

'I'll be gone' by Tommy Turner is far better than either of the sides that happen to be on the reverse.

I see your point (and couldn't agree more about Tommy Turner!!!! :thumbup: ).

My (half-baked, no doubt) thinking was that there would be more forum participants that with deep tracks on the flip of northern soul records that they might not know about, than there might be participants with deep soul records with northern tracks that THEY didn't know about -- partly, perhaps, because northern gets more attention on the forum and elsewhere, and partly because deep soul isn't as tied in with communal listening practices (such as northern soul events) as so often stays under the radar.

I suspect I'm out of my depth here :thumbsup: but there have been some cracking recommendations, so what the heck. :shades:

Social source share

this is kind of the reverse of what I said. I've paid a lot of money for deep soul on the flip of northern soul but it was always my belief that the northern side was the one that gave the disc the value ? far more people buying northern is the reason i'd offer.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Great thread

5. And the B side that turned me onto the Deeper shades of Soul, way back in 1969... the Flipside to Sam & Dave's "Hold On I'm Coming" hides the majestic "I've Got Everything I Need" which is up there with the very best from Eddie & Ernie, Willie & Anthony, James & Bobby (and then some).

:shades: Sean

Much the same can be said for and about Eddie Floyd's "Got To Make A Comeback", a seminal deep soul record which was the original flip of "Knock On Wood" and which has therefore never been in the collections of (or even heard by) those who don't think a record can be any good unless it's kept in a hot box :thumbup:

While I'm here, let's just mention a few more:

The Icemen - It's Gonna take A Lot (To Bring Me Back) - Ole 9 (the a side of their OK but overpriced northern item on the label, title's temporarily slipped my mind and I can't be bothered to pop upstairs and look!).

Little Johnny Blair (Charles Hodges) - Easier To Say Than Do - House Of the Fox (flip of 'Momma's Gone).

Damon Fox - Black Widow Spider - Crimson (flip of his northern cheapie 'Gotta Get My Baby Back')

Eddie Floyd (again!) - Consider Me - Stax (flip of 'Don't Tell Your Mama')

...more to follow...

Social source share

Guest Darks

Lou Ragland "since you said you would be mine" Warner Brothers, the other side "I really did'nt mean to leave you" (or words to that effect) awesome tune. Love the bit where he mentions Sam Cooke firing arrows.

Regards Alan

Social source share

While I'm here, let's just mention a few more:

The Icemen - It's Gonna take A Lot (To Bring Me Back) - Ole 9 (the a side of their OK but overpriced northern item on the label, title's temporarily slipped my mind and I can't be bothered to pop upstairs and look!).

It's time you knew!

(that's the title of the record btw) :thumbsup:

Yeah those hotboxers are missing so much QUALITY allright.....

A couple of quick additions:

David Sea "When did I start to stop loving you" flip of "Night after night"

Bessie Banks on Volt - stunning

"The soul of a woman" B side of "It didn't take much" Percy Wiggins

I could go on......

Social source share

Guest rachel

Phew, think that's the lot - looking forward to actually listening to them when I get home - for now I'm stuck in the office with Radio One :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

Phew, think that's the lot - looking forward to actually listening to them when I get home - for now I'm stuck in the office with Radio One :thumbsup:

Thanks for that, Rachel. :thumbsup: It could be worse in there; it could be be Talk Sport (other than when George Galloway is on, of course!).

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I saw that Sam Williams on Tower was mentioned earlier a wonderful record that is the epitome of wonderfully produced deep soul.....can I also give a mention to his awesome "Miracle Worker" on Uptown the flip to "So Called Friends".

Don't have the capabilites to upload a soundfile at present.

Social source share

I saw that Sam Williams on Tower was mentioned earlier a wonderful record that is the epitome of wonderfully produced deep soul.....can I also give a mention to his awesome "Miracle Worker" on Uptown the flip to "So Called Friends".

Don't have the capabilites to upload a soundfile at present.

you certainly can :lol: he lets go on that one a bit with his wails of passion. Great recrord.

Today I baught Jimmy Castor "Its what you give" which is always listed as "block party" i'm sure a few of you saw that today.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert