J R Bailey

Can anyone help please. On a Kent CD from a few years back there was a track by J R Bailey called Love won't wear off. It's a sublime piece of soul which has an incedible vocal on it by the man who was apparently Chuck Wood. Or is that just NS folklore? Anyway is it available on a 7 or LP?, if so can someone supply details including prices please.

Thanks, Sean

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Can anyone help please. On a Kent CD from a few years back there was a track by J R Bailey called Love won't wear off. It's a sublime piece of soul which has an incedible vocal on it by the man who was apparently Chuck Wood. Or is that just NS folklore? Anyway is it available on a 7 or LP?, if so can someone supply details including prices please.

Thanks, Sean

Hi Sean,

Great taste mate, the J.R.Bailey track came out on US Calla it took me ages to find my copy and I paid £50 for mine, some may say that's a tad too much but it's down to what it's worth to you abd I thought £50 was ok and it was about 12 years ago when it was still comparitively unknown, there is also a good version by a group called Universal Joint on a label called Sniff, check out Too late by J.R.Bailey another great track on the Mala label.

Don't know anything about Chuck Wood being the same guy.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Absolutely love everything that Jim Bailey has done - his Mam Album (Just me n' You) is an absolute Soul classic - I bought the album as a new release at the time and still have it ! ; Also, if you dont already own it you need to get a copy of Big Jim's Border Crossing on Zanzee - Love Built on a Strong Foundation - great piece of midtempo crossover soul.

Not sure about the Chuck Wood thing - didnt Bailey co-write both sides of that Roulette 45 ?

Take care

John

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Thanks, Sean

Wasn't he also lead singer with the Reflections? (of "Three Steps From True Love" fame on Capitol, NOT the Golden World group!) Also a great sweet soul side I used to have on the TOY label was included on one of Dave Godin's "Deep Soul Treasures" CDs. Article somewhere in 'Voices From The Shadows' magazine, from the mid-90s give more details.

Never heard that he was "Chuck Wood" though! That WOULD be a turn-up for the books!

Social source share

Also worth checking out are his 70s Toy records releases "Love Love Love" (also by Donnie Hathaway) and "After Hours"

Remember hearing he was Chuck Wood on the Richard Searling show a couple of years ago, something which came to light during one of Kev Roberts US soul trips ?

Isn't there an acetate of him doing Lee Royes "Tears" as well ?

First time I've heard he was in the Reflections mel

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I think you will find it was Billy Davis (5th Dimension) who was lead singer on three steps on Capitol.

rob h.

No, you're mixing up two records there, Billy Davis Jr. did his own version of "Three Steps", at the same time as the Reflections' Capitol record, on ABC. And it's much better....

JR Bailey as Chuck Wood is, I suspect, Urban Myth. But he was definitely a member of doo-wop group the Cadillacs, in the late 50s and early 60s...

Social source share

No, you're mixing up two records there, Billy Davis Jr. did his own version of "Three Steps", at the same time as the Reflections' Capitol record, on ABC. And it's much better....

JR Bailey as Chuck Wood is, I suspect, Urban Myth. But he was definitely a member of doo-wop group the Cadillacs, in the late 50s and early 60s...

Well Tone, Seven Days Too Long WAS co-written by J R Bailey and his erstwhile songwriting partner Johnny Northern, was it not ? And to my ears the vocal on Seven Days is not too far removed from J R Bailey's well known vocal style , so perhaps not so mythical as one might imagine ? Especially as there appears to be absolutely no information whatsoever on the identity of Chuck Wood .....

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Well Tone, Seven Days Too Long WAS co-written by J R Bailey and his erstwhile songwriting partner Johnny Northern, was it not ? And to my ears the vocal on Seven Days is not too far removed from J R Bailey's well known vocal style , so perhaps not so mythical as one might imagine ? Especially as there appears to be absolutely no information whatsoever on the identity of Chuck Wood .....

I'm pretty sure that, somewhere in my mess of pix and ephemera, I have a genuine US B & W 8 x 10 of Chuck Wood. I won't have time to go digging pre-Cleethorpes, but next time I'm having a root around in the attic, I'll make a point of looking for it.

I agree that the vocalist sounds a bit like J.R. Bailey, but lots of singers sound like other singers who they are not, so you'll have to provide a bit more compelling evidence than that to convince me beyond the shadow of a doubt tongue.gif

Social source share

F hell I only got £7.99 recently for the calla 45.

Jr Bailey also had Big Jims Border Crossing ' Youre Good For Me Girl ' flip to ' Love Built On A Strong Foundation ', a sublime crossover 45.

Check his Stafford spin ' Too Late ' a early 70s recording on Mala.

More deepish is his ' You Pass My Love ' for Midland Int. circa 74 / 75 ish.

Besides his in demand three figure lp for Mams he recorded another lp in 1977 for United Artists ' Love And Conversation ' well worthy of your attention.

Social source share

Also worth checking out are his 70s Toy records releases "Love Love Love" (also by Donnie Hathaway) and "After Hours"

Remember hearing he was Chuck Wood on the Richard Searling show a couple of years ago, something which came to light during one of Kev Roberts US soul trips ?

Cheers Paul

i used to have an emidisc lp with "tears" jr bailey on it, sold it to guy h years ago, the bloke i got it off told me the tears track was from a mala lp, from what i remember it wasnt that good, but that was 20 odd years ago and e all know how our tastes have changed

Social source share

bloody ell Tone your right, my copy is Billy Davis two steps from true love, i would have swore it was the reflections, funny how your mind plays tricks, but no worries while looking for the Reflections record i did not have, i came across my copy of Margaret Reynolds...Today I Started Loving You.. on Mighty Mo Records lovely midtempo tune, start playing it and then happen to notice one of the writers is none other than J R Bailey. Spookey or what :thumbsup:

rob h.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Cheers Paul

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Hi Sean,

there is also a good version by a group called Universal Joint on a label called Sniff, check out Too late by J.R.Bailey another great track on the Mala label.

Regards

Alan

I actually think Universal Joint did the FIRST version, with J R Bailey covering it. Seem to recall Billy Guy wrote the song and also produced UJ, but I cannot find my copies of the two versions to compare right now. Steve

Social source share

Cheers Paul

"Love love love" - there is a third version which blows Hathaway and JRB away...... :thumbsup:

Social source share

:) Chuck Proffett m8 - production is excellent. Might play it saturday afternoon. :thumbsup:

Thats it, I remember now, you played it at A New Chapter........not sure if it blows Hathaway & Bailey tho', i'd have to hear it again......better than Tom's rather forced vocal.......FBI's version is cool and well worth checking out :wicked:

Girf

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert