Uni Records

Afternoon All,

One of those quirks of collecting - In the space of a few weeks you pick up a few 45s on the same label. UNI was one for me recently.Picked up-

Ural Thomas - Pain Is The Name Of Your Game

Wasters - Accept My Love

Jackie Lee - You Were Searching For A Love (Which Is Brilliant)

And a couple of Green Berets 45s (titles which escape me at the moment)

Got me thinking esp. with the Green Berets & Wasters 54 (Which I'd not known) what a fantastic label - Garland Green / Jackie Lee / Mirettes / Betty Everett / Bob & Earl / Blue Notes etc etc. Detroit / Chicago / West Coast Productions - Classic Northern to Deep / Ballads / Funk - the lot!

Never seen a full discography (I guess its huge - With a lot of big name pop/rock atrists) - And to my knowledge never seen any form of compilation (Tony R? Ady? -Any idea who owns the rights?) - Who's got a faves? Tips?

Apologies if done before!

Rich :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Been spinning the green berets alot recently and also darrow flether changing by the minute,another fav is the funky darrow fletcher what is this and the brill jackie lee-you were searching for my love.A logo that has always give me listening pleasure.

BAZ A. thumbsup.gif

WE NEED A DISCOGRAPHY UP.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

WE NEED A DISCOGRAPHY UP.

It's a bit too big to post up, Baz - and anyway, Uni was by no means an 'all-soul' label. I don't think you really need details of - among others - the many Elton John, Strawberry Alarm Clock, John Fred and His Playboy Band and Neil Diamond releases that came out on Uni, do you?

Uni, BTW was - from its inception - a subsidiary of US Decca, subsequently MCA and nowadays it's owned by Universal.

Of the lesser-know soul releases on the label, Lovelace Watkins' "A Man Without A Dream" is excellent (albeit not as good as the Righteous Brothers' sublime version on Verve)...

Social source share

It's a bit too big to post up, Baz - and anyway, Uni was by no means an 'all-soul' label. I don't think you really need details of - among others - the many Elton John, Strawberry Alarm Clock, John Fred and His Playboy Band and Neil Diamond releases that came out on Uni, do you?

Uni, BTW was - from its inception - a subsidiary of US Decca, subsequently MCA and nowadays it's owned by Universal.

Of the lesser-know soul releases on the label, Lovelace Watkins' "A Man Without A Dream" is excellent (albeit not as good as the Righteous Brothers' sublime version on Verve)...

POINT TAKEN TONY THOUGH I AM A BIT PARTIAL TO A BIT ELTON JOHN[WOOPS SHOULD REPHASE THAT].

BAZ A.

Social source share

====

THIS IS A GREAT BLUE EYED STOMPER

IVE ONLY MANAGED TO PLAY THIS OUT ONCE AT WORCESTER ALLNITER...

STORMER AND THEN SOME!

used to always spin this in my spots Mark, yep great blue-eyed stomper indeed, funny never been able to flog it though - guess its pretty unknown?

Social source share

Flip of Lovelace Watkins is a sublime and soulful version of the Impressions "Gone Away" , no wonder as these Lovelace sessions were I believe produced in Chicago with Donny Hathaway (too lazy as I am to pull out the 45 ....)

Incidentally, there is on Uni a very nice little pop soul northern dancer by John Fred and the Playboys entitled "Open Doors" .... so best not to dismiss all the not too obvious soul artists in one fell swoop ! biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Flip of Lovelace Watkins is a sublime and soulful version of the Impressions "Gone Away" , no wonder as these Lovelace sessions were I believe produced in Chicago with Donny Hathaway (too lazy as I am to pull out the 45 ....)

Incidentally, there is on Uni a very nice little pop soul northern dancer by John Fred and the Playboys entitled "Open Doors" .... so best not to dismiss all the not too obvious soul artists in one fell swoop ! biggrin.gif

I wasn't dismissing John Fred, or any of the other artists I mentioned, I have Uni records by all of them in my collection and like them all to one degree or another. JF's early Jewel and Paula records are fantastic and Elton John's early DJM/Uni material is among the greatest non-Soul music ever produced. All of Neil Diamond's Bang 45s are brilliant and the Strawberry Alarm Clock's "Incense And Peppermints" is sublime Paisley Pop. Non-dismissive enough for you? tongue.gif

Lovelace was indeed produced in Chicago, but by Archie Russell who also produced, among other things, Betty Everett's Uni material and the World Column's "So Is The Sun" - not to mention the sublime 90's dancer "Can't Stop Loving You" by Richard Rogers.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

I wasn't dismissing John Fred, or any of the other artists I mentioned, I have Uni records by all of them in my collection and like them all to one degree or another. JF's early Jewel and Paula records are fantastic and Elton John's early DJM/Uni material is among the greatest non-Soul music ever produced. All of Neil Diamond's Bang 45s are brilliant and the Strawberry Alarm Clock's "Incense And Peppermints" is sublime Paisley Pop. Non-dismissive enough for you? tongue.gif

Lovelace was indeed produced in Chicago, but by Archie Russell who also produced, among other things, Betty Everett's Uni material and the World Column's "So Is The Sun" - not to mention the sublime 90's dancer "Can't Stop Loving You" by Richard Rogers.

Nice one Tony, OK, Gone Away must have been COMPOSED then by Donny Hathaway !!! whistling.gif

Do you know a 7" by the Strawberry Alarm Clock called " Barefoot In Baltimore " ? Very soul/jazzy with vibes an' all , very unlike their usual very nice popsike stuff !!!!

Incidentally the Shamley label was part of the Uni group too , wasn't it ?

Social source share

Lovelace Watkins Uni LP was done in Chicago, my friend Benjio (who was a member of the Satagans and Solid Gold on Fortress) worked on the sessions (I think he did some sort of writing and producing). He also wrote the flip of betty everett's there'll come a time on Uni.

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Donny Mann - The Girl Next Door - UNI

Anyone post a sound file on the Donny Mann 45 please whistling.gif

Another 45 worth checking out on Uni is Karl Tarleton's "Along came you"

Thanks in advance,

John

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Afternoon All,

One of those quirks of collecting - In the space of a few weeks you pick up a few 45s on the same label. UNI was one for me recently.Picked up-

Ural Thomas - Pain Is The Name Of Your Game

Wasters - Accept My Love

Jackie Lee - You Were Searching For A Love (Which Is Brilliant)

And a couple of Green Berets 45s (titles which escape me at the moment)

Got me thinking esp. with the Green Berets & Wasters 54 (Which I'd not known) what a fantastic label - Garland Green / Jackie Lee / Mirettes / Betty Everett / Bob & Earl / Blue Notes etc etc. Detroit / Chicago / West Coast Productions - Classic Northern to Deep / Ballads / Funk - the lot!

Never seen a full discography (I guess its huge - With a lot of big name pop/rock atrists) - And to my knowledge never seen any form of compilation (Tony R? Ady? -Any idea who owns the rights?) - Who's got a faves? Tips?

Apologies if done before!

Rich :shades:

I've always played the flip of The Wasters 'Accept my love' . . . 'Dont stop' Love that side !!!!!

Social source share

Wasters is a top 45 - Completely unknown to me till you 'spot' a side on a well known known label you think 'Hmm' could be a good 'un.

Seems to be some great stuff here - Right across the board. Make a cracking compilation and there MUST be some unreleased material? An unsung label I reckon. I'm guessing then UNI bought in all the Chicago/Detroit productions? Are demos all multi-colouored -Dont think I've seen a white one?

Thanks to all for input.

Rich

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert