Foreign Dj's Current Top 5 In The Hotbox

Guest Demotron

I don't hotbox either, but in the next Soul Sides Finland I'll gladly spin:

1. The Exception: Get Down (Vincent)

2. Valentinos: Sweeter Than The Day Before (Chess)

3. Detroit Emeralds: Set It Out (Westbound)

4. James Lewis Fields: How long Shall I Wait (Top Pop)

5. The Joneses: Name Of The Game (Mercury)

Social source share

• Replies 87
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

said "repetitive trophyism syndrom" is the reason why I can't be arsed about "our" (i.e. german) scene any longer. Glad to see that other continental scenes don't suffer from that disease (or suffer to a lesser degree). I always found the italian DJs very refreshing and imaginative in their selections.

Benji,

I don`t really know what`s on in Munich (or other southern towns), but do you really think it`s the same `syndrom` in whole Germany? Maybe there are a few collectors/DJ`s who buy as expensive/rare as possible :rolleyes: to show off a little, but I think it`s different up north. In the moment there`s just one regular Allnighter (apart from many Soul Nights in different Clubs/Bars) (For Dancers Only+ our Weekender) in Hamburg and the DJ`s always play accross the board. You can listen to all kinds of Soul and the guests don`t give a damn about rare, unknown, poxy one offs, oldies, outplayed as long as you can dance to the records. To make it short...it seems they have fun and enjoy the night out.

Ralf

Social source share

here's what i played at the last soul sides night in helsinki, so yeah a mix of everything really :rolleyes:

set1

Gizelle Smith & The Mighty Mocambos - Working Woman (Old Capital)

Guitar Ray - You're Gonna Wreck My Life (Shagg)

Frankie Seay & The Soul Riders - I Came A Long Way To Get You (Tropical)

Herman Hitson - You Can't Keep A Good Man Down (Sweet Rose)

Bobby Reed - The Time Is Right For Love (Bell)

James Bell & The Highlighters Band - The Love Of My Girl (Three Dimonds)

Robert Moore - Tears Of The World (Blue Candle)

Lenny Frierson - Got To Find A Place (Starbound)

Crystal Clear - Stay With Me (Polydor)

Inside Out - Make A Change (Home)

Total Experience - Contradiction (TTE)

Leroy Clofer & Company - Mr. Big Man (Rosemont)

set2

The Superlatives - I Still Love You (Uptite)

Isley Brothers - Why When The Love Is Gone (Tamla)

Danny White - Keep My Woman Home (Atlas)

Honey & The Bees - Love Addict (Arctic)

Barbara & Gwen - Right On (New Chicago Sound)

Sage - I'm Alive (Head)

Raw Soul Express - The Way We Live (Cat)

Rokk - Patience (Tollie)

T.O.S. - Treasure Mind (B.J.)

The Futures - Betcha Come Back (Warped)

Social source share

here's what i played at the last soul sides night in helsinki, so yeah a mix of everything really :thumbup:

set1

Gizelle Smith & The Mighty Mocambos - Working Woman (Old Capital)

Guitar Ray - You're Gonna Wreck My Life (Shagg)

Frankie Seay & The Soul Riders - I Came A Long Way To Get You (Tropical)

Herman Hitson - You Can't Keep A Good Man Down (Sweet Rose)

Bobby Reed - The Time Is Right For Love (Bell)

James Bell & The Highlighters Band - The Love Of My Girl (Three Dimonds)

Robert Moore - Tears Of The World (Blue Candle)

Lenny Frierson - Got To Find A Place (Starbound)

Crystal Clear - Stay With Me (Polydor)

Inside Out - Make A Change (Home)

Total Experience - Contradiction (TTE)

Leroy Clofer & Company - Mr. Big Man (Rosemont)

set2

The Superlatives - I Still Love You (Uptite)

Isley Brothers - Why When The Love Is Gone (Tamla)

Danny White - Keep My Woman Home (Atlas)

Honey & The Bees - Love Addict (Arctic)

Barbara & Gwen - Right On (New Chicago Sound)

Sage - I'm Alive (Head)

Raw Soul Express - The Way We Live (Cat)

Rokk - Patience (Tollie)

T.O.S. - Treasure Mind (B.J.)

The Futures - Betcha Come Back (Warped)

REALLY FANTASTIC LIST SOME OF MY FAV ON IT.... :rolleyes:

Social source share

Benji,

I don`t really know what`s on in Munich (or other southern towns), but do you really think it`s the same `syndrom` in whole Germany? Maybe there are a few collectors/DJ`s who buy as expensive/rare as possible :rolleyes: to show off a little, but I think it`s different up north. In the moment there`s just one regular Allnighter (apart from many Soul Nights in different Clubs/Bars) (For Dancers Only+ our Weekender) in Hamburg and the DJ`s always play accross the board. You can listen to all kinds of Soul and the guests don`t give a damn about rare, unknown, poxy one offs, oldies, outplayed as long as you can dance to the records. To make it short...it seems they have fun and enjoy the night out.

Ralf

GREAT DJ LINE UP for the hamburg soul...listen a radio show of malayka some months ago on radiopellenera guested on good taste show from my great friend Paul (Soul_flavour on it) really fresh...my regards to all the organization

Social source share

Guest smigger

Benji,

You can listen to all kinds of Soul and the guests don`t give a damn about rare, unknown, poxy one offs, oldies, outplayed as long as you can dance to the records. To make it short...it seems they have fun and enjoy the night out.

Ralf

Same goes for D¼sseldorf mate. Anyone caught playing crap records because they cost a fortune gets laughed out of town.

It's what's in the groove that counts.

To be brutaly honest, it's quite the other way around here. Anyone digging up a boss, unknown tune for buttons gets a badge of honour.

Social source share

Benji,

I don`t really know what`s on in Munich (or other southern towns), but do you really think it`s the same `syndrom` in whole Germany? Maybe there are a few collectors/DJ`s who buy as expensive/rare as possible wink.gif to show off a little, but I think it`s different up north. In the moment there`s just one regular Allnighter (apart from many Soul Nights in different Clubs/Bars) (For Dancers Only+ our Weekender) in Hamburg and the DJ`s always play accross the board. You can listen to all kinds of Soul and the guests don`t give a damn about rare, unknown, poxy one offs, oldies, outplayed as long as you can dance to the records. To make it short...it seems they have fun and enjoy the night out.

Ralf

Ralf,

fine, your guests don't give a damn about rarity/price/etc. of a record. so do guests at most other german venues. but this ain't a discussion about the punters. this is about foreign DJ's, e.g. german DJ's.

When I was still traveling and attending german soul dos, it seemed to me that most german DJ's were not playing to the punters but were tryting to impress the "imaginary" english knows-all-soul-music-collector if you know what I mean. And that's why I stopped going to german soul venues, I got better (and more entertaining) things to do in life than that.

Apparently it changed over the last two years and going by the number of different clubs I see Hamburg as some sort of "hot spot" of the german soul scene but unfortunately Hamburg is too far away for me to attend one of your parties in order to re-establish my faith in the german scene.

Anyway, I disgress. This is about current top 5 hot boxers. so, any more lists anyone?

Social source share

Ralf,

fine, your guests don't give a damn about rarity/price/etc. of a record. so do guests at most other german venues. but this ain't a discussion about the punters. this is about foreign DJ's, e.g. german DJ's.

When I was still traveling and attending german soul dos, it seemed to me that most german DJ's were not playing to the punters but were tryting to impress the "imaginary" english knows-all-soul-music-collector if you know what I mean. And that's why I stopped going to german soul venues, I got better (and more entertaining) things to do in life than that.

Apparently it changed over the last two years and going by the number of different clubs I see Hamburg as some sort of "hot spot" of the german soul scene but unfortunately Hamburg is too far away for me to attend one of your parties in order to re-establish my faith in the german scene.

Anyway, I disgress. This is about current top 5 hot boxers. so, any more lists anyone?

Benji,

sure.

I understand you but up north it`s not only the punters who are not showing interests in such things...

...the main reason is...most of us are poor birds and we have no money to buy trophies to impress the imaginary english collector :thumbup: . Enjoy yourself...

p.s.: When it`s about current top 5...where are yours?

p.p.s.: I have none...

Social source share

some that are doing it for me in Milwaukee

Basic Sounds of Pittsburgh - Feel It (BASO)

Cloudburst - I'm Loving You (Stormy Monday)

James Martin - Reasons (private LP, uptempo version of Rance Allen group 'Reason to Survive')

JT Allen - Working Hard (DELMAR)

Ebony Stones feat. Jade - Take You Higher (ESP)

Lonie Jones - Treat Your baby Right (JENMARK)

Quinn Harris - Protect me from Myself (MLE)

Billi Byrd - Lost in the Crowd (SCREAM)

Blues Brothers #1 - Happy Song (ECLIPSE)

and a whole bunch of others i don't want UK guys to know the names of ph34r.gif

Great record & been at the top of my wants list for a while now (hint!!!)

Also would like to hear the James Martin if anybody's got a soundclip to post up.

Social source share

Guest marco i

Lovely tune thumbup.gif Was it issued on 7" or on "Just For You" LP only?

Marco

Chuck Cissel - Don't tell me you're sorry, Arista
Social source share

Great record & been at the top of my wants list for a while now (hint!!!)

Nice tune but that guitar seriously needs editing (err...actually did one a few years back ph34r.gif )

The other side's good though more funk than soul - this one could take off...actually having seen what a vg one just went for mine might be one offer quite soon :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest lotusland

Nice tune but that guitar seriously needs editing (err...actually did one a few years back ph34r.gif )

The other side's good though more funk than soul - this one could take off...actually having seen what a vg one just went for mine might be one offer quite soon :ohmy:

You can just cue it past the guitar intro. there is a really easy spot to start it from right before the clean guitar leads it in. it comes in once later in the tune, but not as bad as the intro. i did it this way on the sound clip for the auction (that was my spare).

Social source share

Know what you mean about the guitar.

Saw the copy go through as well the other day & was surprised at the price to say the least when I heard the state of it.

Think I'm gonna write Keb Darge spin on all my sales in future :yes:

Maybe Mr Noble can enlighten us as to how many copies are out there.

Social source share

You can just cue it past the guitar intro. there is a really easy spot to start it from right before the clean guitar leads it in. it comes in once later in the tune, but not as bad as the intro. i did it this way on the sound clip for the auction (that was my spare).

Oops!

Guess you type faster than me biggrin.gif

Social source share

p.s.: When it`s about current top 5...where are yours?

p.p.s.: I have none...

As I haven't DJ'd anywhere since our "Deeper Shade" do ended in April, I don't have any Top 5 Hot Boxers, sorry!

By the way, I've seen I made an error in my previous post:

I did say "Apparently it changed over the last two years and going by the number of different clubs I see Hamburg as some sort of "hot spot" of the german soul scene"

but I meant "Apparently Obviously it changed over the last two years and going by the number of different clubs I see Hamburg as some sort of "hot spot" of the german soul scene"

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

I know its been done before , but its always interesting for me :lol:

TIA

Simon :thumbup:

Well I'm not sure if coming from Chorley qualifies me as a foreigner, been DJing in Australia for 12 years however now sat in NS-less Monaco without a turntable & I'm developing a severe eye twitch. Anyway having a big fix next weekend at Brighouse & Stoke - here's my current 5 favourite spins........

Ditalians - I Gotta Go - Trip

Danny Harrison - Girl Girl Girl - Coral

Barbara Hall - Big Man - Tuska

Art & Honey - Shake Well Before You Use Me - Dunhill

John Leach - Put That Woman Down - Lawn

Cheers.............Pete

Social source share

Well I'm not sure if coming from Chorley qualifies me as a foreigner, been DJing in Australia for 12 years however now sat in NS-less Monaco without a turntable & I'm developing a severe eye twitch. Anyway having a big fix next weekend at Brighouse & Stoke - here's my current 5 favourite spins........

Cheers.............Pete

Pete,

There is an extremely rare Aussie only version of "Girl Girl Girl" that pisses all over Danny Harrison .... I'll drop it on the decks for you at the upcoming National in Perth ... :lol:

Social source share

Cheers.............Pete

Pete, will you please just turn that Barbara Hall over :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

favorites that are recently aquired:

Little Archie - All I Have to Do (Dial)

thanks to Dave & Malayka for playing this in Ann Arbor, it was new to me.

The Internationals - Beautiful Philosohy (Dar)

crossed off the wants list thanks to Ben of R$M

Magnificent 7 - Never Will I (Dial)

thanks again to Dave/Malayka

Lee Williams and The Cymbals - A Girl from a Country Town (Rapta)

dont get to hear many new records out here in the US all that often, sometimes we have to rely on CDs. Ive been playing this one on Paul Sadots cd for a year, and finally picked it up.

Ralph Johnson - Have Your Fun (Masterkey)

almost forgot this one, and the title of this thread did request 5 picks ... same as The Topics, only COMPLETELY different! one of the few nice finds i had while in Chicago last week.

Edited by Kevin J
Social source share

favorites that are recently aquired:

Little Archie - All I Have to Do (Dial)

thanks to Dave & Malayka for playing this in Ann Arbor, it was new to me.

The Internationals - Beautiful Philosohy (Dar)

crossed off the wants list thanks to Ben of R$M

Magnificent 7 - Never Will I (Dial)

thanks again to Dave/Malayka

Lee Williams and The Cymbals - A Girl from a Country Town (Rapta)

dont get to hear many new records out here in the US all that often, sometimes we have to rely on CDs. Ive been playing this one on Paul Sadots cd for a year, and finally picked it up.

The Internationals - Beautiful Philosohy (Dar), For me the discover/buy of the year...two nice sides!

Social source share

Many thanks benji from all of us!!!

but i must admitt that few rare time i don't appreciate a dj...i love so much this music (and all kind of black music too)

i've hear many times english dj (last one kenny burrell in rome) and love hear the club function mix or oslo soul one

really good one also from germany (like johnny hitman or marc forrest..sir matt fox kristian auth and more)

The American monster like Mike (pomonkey) or mr finewine or honky are great...

i've heard last year in rimini yann vatiste also him have a really good taste...

this year in rimini there's mr edu from barcellona so i'm curius to hear him live i've read only his playlist...GREAT SPOT !!!

that's all !

Hi!

Thanks for the comment, but i´m sick at the moment and won´t be able to go to Rimini, very sorry about that...

BTW, "hot-boxing" is the silliest concept i´ve heard in ages... :P

Best!

Edu

Social source share

Benji,

I don`t really know what`s on in Munich (or other southern towns), but do you really think it`s the same `syndrom` in whole Germany? Maybe there are a few collectors/DJ`s who buy as expensive/rare as possible :boxing: to show off a little, but I think it`s different up north. In the moment there`s just one regular Allnighter (apart from many Soul Nights in different Clubs/Bars) (For Dancers Only+ our Weekender) in Hamburg and the DJ`s always play accross the board. You can listen to all kinds of Soul and the guests don`t give a damn about rare, unknown, poxy one offs, oldies, outplayed as long as you can dance to the records. To make it short...it seems they have fun and enjoy the night out.

Ralf

You can listen to all kinds of Soul and the guests don`t give a damn about rare, unknown, poxy one offs, oldies, outplayed as long as you can dance to the records. To make it short...it seems they have fun and enjoy the night out.

:P:boxing: agree totally

Social source share

O.K., bit of an oldies list, but records I always play if djing:

Jokers- Soul Sound- Skofield

Elbie Parker- Please keep away from me- Veep

Troy Dodds- Try my love- El Camino

Otis Lee- Hard row to hoe- Quaint

Tan Geers- Let my heart and soul be free- Okeh

Quite difficult to have such a tiny hotbox :P

Social source share

Same goes for D¼sseldorf mate. Anyone caught playing crap records because they cost a fortune gets laughed out of town.

It's what's in the groove that counts.

To be brutaly honest, it's quite the other way around here. Anyone digging up a boss, unknown tune for buttons gets a badge of honour.

What events are you talking of????????? Didn´t recognize we got a soul scene here-

could have saved me lots of dosh not having to travel 400 to 500 kms to Hamburg

or N¼rnberg...... :P

Edited by hermanthegerman
Social source share

Hi!

Thanks for the comment, but i´m sick at the moment and won´t be able to go to Rimini, very sorry about that...

Best!

Edu

hi Edu i'm Spranga....sad news...i hope to meet you soon!!!

Social source share

Hi!

Best!

Edu

hi Edu i'm Spranga....sad news...i hope to meet you soon!!!

Social source share

Guest marco i

Hi!

Edu

Get well soon mate! Regards to Polly.

Ciao, Marco

Social source share

Guest smigger

What events are you talking of????????? Didn´t recognize we got a soul scene here-

could have saved me lots of dosh not having to travel 400 to 500 kms to Hamburg

or N¼rnberg...... ph34r.gif

Unique before it closed its doors due to the rent issue.

Then at Opium before that packed in.

Then then "Monsters of Funk and Soul" does twice a year in the "Schauspielhaus".

There's a gang of lads that have got something going in the Trinkhalle (don't like the venue much so never go there).

And if you take the tram to Duisburg there's www.soulconnection.de every first Friday of the month.

Are you in D¼sseldorf? Care to send a PM?

Social source share

Melismo out of Sweden here.

No club gigs or radio shows these days (that´s what I used to do in the 80´s and 90´s), but I have recently started doing podcasts, and my playlists + downloads can be found here:

https://listen.to.soulmusic

https://melismo.podomatic.com

Right now I´m rediscovering the F-section of my record collection, so currently enjoying tunes such as:

Fingers - Searching For A Love (RCA, 1979)

Fat Albert - Friends (Paramount, 1973)

Sandra Feva - Love Me For What I Am (Venture, 1979)

Family Brown - Can´t Used To Being Alone (UA, 1977)

Freddi-Henchi and the Soulsetters - I Like Funky Music (CBS, 1972) Funk not soul, but still...

All these happen to be album tracks, and admittedly not all for the dancefloor, a couple of them being for home-listening purpose only, but nice tunes anyways.

Cheers,

Melismo

Social source share

My current fave:

Lou Bond - You Shake Me Up - Brainstorm

Magnificent Men - Keep On Climbing - Capitol (Lp)

Bob Relf - Girl You're My Kind of Wonderful - Trans American

Will Collins & Will Power - Anything I Can Do - Derby

Al Supersonic & The Teenagers - I don't know (where is my girl) - Rock On

Marco "Nerone"

Social source share

My current fave:

Lou Bond - You Shake Me Up - Brainstorm

Magnificent Men - Keep On Climbing - Capitol (Lp)

Bob Relf - Girl You're My Kind of Wonderful - Trans American

Will Collins & Will Power - Anything I Can Do - Derby

Al Supersonic & The Teenagers - I don't know (where is my girl) - Rock On

Marco "Nerone"

The teenagers...TUNE!

Social source share

any chance you foreign soulies can put up soundfiles of some of your plays cos a lot of em seem interesting titles and i dont know many of em, im sure im not the only one following this thread to think that, would appreciate it

I've made a 30-minute MP3 mix of the tunes in the list I posted last week.

You can download it here:

https://www.shingaling.com/SebastiansHotBoxTop10-20080717.mp3

TRACKLISTING:

00:00 | Soul Chargers feat. James Fountain - Soul Charge - STOP

02:10 | Dr. Soul - Left Eye Jump - MON'CA

04:24 | Saxie Russell - El Monkey - RAN-DEE

06:37 | Hodges, James, Smith & Crawford - I'm In Love - MPINGO

08:59 | Wild Honey - I've Been Working - GEORGIA PEACH

11:10 | Phillip Wright - Keep Her Happy - DASH

13:55 | Larry Dixon - Don't It Make You Dance - LAD

17:56 | Frank Eddie - Forever - INSYNC

22:02 | Crystal - Forever Us - HIT CITY

26:00 | Leroy Burgess & Robert Strauss - Hot Like An Oven - DEFECTED (LP)

Hope you like some of them and that they're not all old-hat. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert