Foreign Dj's Current Top 5 In The Hotbox

• Replies 87
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have been away from buying records for more than a year so my box is luke warm at best I'm afraid. :thumbsup: I have some nice things on the way and would usually include some post 60's stuff but if I was djing (at a northern do) tonight I might choose the following luke warm and not very imaginative northern "oldies" for my top 5.

Clarence Townsend - I Found A New Love - Clara

The Precisions - I Wanna Tell My Baby - D-Town

William Cummings - Make My Love A Hurting Thing - Bang Bang

George Hobson - Let It Be Real - Sound City

Sammy Campbell - I Never Thought - Queen City (not sure about this in the top 5 but it was allowed in since I have not played it out very much. I usually fade it around 40 seconds before it ends, it is just too long and nothing happens in the last 40 seconds or so)

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• 1 year later...

I put 6 (3 northern & 3 xover/modern), of my favorites in my current playlist

Tony Hestor -watch yourself - Karate

Ronnie Mcneir - Sittin in my class - Deto

Adorables - ooh boy - golden world

Mind & Matter - I´m under your spell - M&M

Joe Valentine - I lost the only love I had - Val

Bottom & Co - Gonna find a true love - Motown

cheers!

I know its been done before , but its always interesting for me :D

TIA

Simon :P

Social source share

If living and spinning in the US counts, then here are 5 from me:

Pages - Heartaches and Pain

Phillip Mitchell - Free For All (Winner Takes All)

Lynne Randell - Stranger In My Arms

Ronnie McNeir - Isn't She a Pretty Girl wink.gif

Larry McGee Revolution - The Burg

Social source share

The "foreign" DJ's if thats the right word don't by and large play anything we don't already know from many playlists I've seen, but it's their approach to it all that is refreshing, all genres in a night and they will get up and dance, even if they have never heard it before. They are willing to give any record a try and will not dismiss it cause it was played here or there or made after the 60's.

PS... anyone got an mp3 of the Sammy Campbell - I Never Thought - Queen City

Social source share

I'm not much of a "hotboxer" and I'm not saying that these tunes are "unique" or "unknown" in any way, but if it's of interest here are 10 of my current fave spins:

Soul Chargers feat. James Fountain - Soul Charge - STOP

Dr. Soul - Left Eye Jump - MON'CA

Saxie Russell - El Monkey - RAN-DEE

Hodges, James, Smith & Crawford - I'm In Love - MPINGO

Wild Honey - I've Been Working - GEORGIA PEACH

Phillip Wright - Keep Her Happy - DASH

Larry Dixon - Don't It Make You Dance - LAD

Frank Eddie - Forever - INSYNC

Crystal - Forever Us - HIT CITY

Leroy Burgess & Robert Strauss - Hot Like An Oven - DEFECTED (LP)

Have played all of these fairly recently at Club Function (in Malmoe, Sweden - check out or web-site here: https://www.clubfunction.com/ ) and try to fit them in as often as I can. All of them usually gets a good dancefloor reaction as well. :lol:

Social source share

The "foreign" DJ's if thats the right word don't by and large play anything we don't already know from many playlists I've seen, but it's their approach to it all that is refreshing, all genres in a night and they will get up and dance, even if they have never heard it before. They are willing to give any record a try and will not dismiss it cause it was played here or there or made after the 60's.

X I def think you´re right most 60´s and 70´s stuff been aired in Uk before as scene is born and go back much longer there ( can´t speak for 80´s and onwards stuff others dept). Don´t forget though it differs in sounds and whats being played between uro cities and countrys. Espec cities seem to get their own sound of some reason and records will def differ if goin for ex to Oslo, G¶teborg, Malm¶ or Stockholm.

Other things that differs at least b-ween UK and Scandinavia is that you´re not gettin to here that many ££££ records in Swe as most collect. can´t get or afford them as wasn´t around when prices were lower.

5 from me:

Ricky Allen - Cut you loose Tam-Boo

Silky Hargraves - You´re to good ( to me baby) Dearborn

The Ones - Don´t let me loose this dream Motown

Marlina Mars - I´m gonna hold on ( to your love) M-G-M

Clark Bridges - Foxy C-J

Social source share

Here's what's making NYC, um, hot! 10 less knowns (but amazing)

Tommy Dent - Soul Thing (Cobblestone)

Edith Brown - You did it (4 Brothers)

Ronnie White - Out of breath (Brent) hows that for 3 in a row on well known labels that are stupidly invisible

The Fabulous Dobbs - The Mess (Naj Ma)

Jerry Walker - Mr Limp (Ten High)

Betty Wright - Mr Lucky (Solid Soul)

Charley Wright - Action Time (Jim Gem)

Junius Bugs Hughes - I'm just what the doctor ordered (Hew)

Fabuletts - Can't stay away (Mode)

Walter B and Untouchables - Can't stop loving you (Apollo) actually this is more forgotten than unknown but too good to let slip

Social source share

Other things that differs at least b-ween UK and Scandinavia is that you´re not gettin to here that many ££££ records in Swe as most collect. can´t get or afford them as wasn´t around when prices were lower

I think thats good Soulof , as we ( UK soulies) can get what is now called "Repetative Trophyism Syndrom" :lol::D

Social source share

Guest lotusland

some that are doing it for me in Milwaukee

Basic Sounds of Pittsburgh - Feel It (BASO)

Cloudburst - I'm Loving You (Stormy Monday)

James Martin - Reasons (private LP, uptempo version of Rance Allen group 'Reason to Survive')

JT Allen - Working Hard (DELMAR)

Ebony Stones feat. Jade - Take You Higher (ESP)

Lonie Jones - Treat Your baby Right (JENMARK)

Quinn Harris - Protect me from Myself (MLE)

Billi Byrd - Lost in the Crowd (SCREAM)

Blues Brothers #1 - Happy Song (ECLIPSE)

and a whole bunch of others i don't want UK guys to know the names of :lol:

Social source share

, as we ( UK soulies) can get what is now called "Repetative Trophyism Syndrom" :lol::lol:

YES SIMON ..i agree it goes with the selection anxiety and personality disorders of the soul scene...i have endured this at many an all nighter in the past..thankfully a few DJ's dont experience it :D

Edited by souljazera
Social source share

Other things that differs at least b-ween UK and Scandinavia is that you´re not gettin to here that many ££££ records in Swe as most collect. can´t get or afford them as wasn´t around when prices were lower

I think thats good Soulof , as we ( UK soulies) can get what is now called "Repetative Trophyism Syndrom" :lol::lol:

:lol:

Understand what you mean Simon. But when in Scandinavia you sometimes miss hearing some of them sounds. a good healthy mix prob the best :D

Social source share

any chance you foreign soulies can put up soundfiles of some of your plays cos a lot of em seem interesting titles and i dont know many of em, im sure im not the only one following this thread to think that, would appreciate it

Social source share

any chance you foreign soulies can put up soundfiles of some of your plays cos a lot of em seem interesting titles and i dont know many of em, im sure im not the only one following this thread to think that, would appreciate it

X Def quite a few of the above ones I´m not fam. with. Of mine Ricky Allen & Marlina Mars are in refosoul. Manship has a clip of Ones. Can´t find the Silky track but sure someone here has it somewhere. Think my brother has an mp3 of the Clark Bridges one that I think someone asked for some time ago. Get back with that one

Social source share

I know its been done before , but its always interesting for me :thumbup:

TIA

Simon :shhh:

When I DJ'd at Pittsburgh scooter rally a few weeks ago I spun the following (amongst many)

Shirley & Jesse - Cant Fight Love

Your Love Keeps Lifting Me Higher and Higher - Otis Redding

Wade In The Water - Marlena Shaw

Hot Line - Reggie Garner

Zig Zag Lightning - Johnny Taylor

Drifting - Claude Huey

Tyras Song - Lee Fields

Blackmail - Bobby Taylor

If I Could Give You the World - Hearts of Stone

And then of course classics like 25 Miles, I'll Keep Holding On etc

US DJing is part education part getting people to dance so its a fine line between too much unknown music and classics.

Social source share

Here's what's making NYC, um, hot! 10 less knowns (but amazing)

Tommy Dent - Soul Thing (Cobblestone)

Edith Brown - You did it (4 Brothers)

Ronnie White - Out of breath (Brent) hows that for 3 in a row on well known labels that are stupidly invisible

The Fabulous Dobbs - The Mess (Naj Ma)

Jerry Walker - Mr Limp (Ten High)

Betty Wright - Mr Lucky (Solid Soul)

Charley Wright - Action Time (Jim Gem)

Junius Bugs Hughes - I'm just what the doctor ordered (Hew)

Fabuletts - Can't stay away (Mode)

Walter B and Untouchables - Can't stop loving you (Apollo) actually this is more forgotten than unknown but too good to let slip

Walter B - wasnt that the frantic thing spun at Stafford I think spun by Keb? Great record - anyone post it up??

Grant

Social source share

I know its been done before , but its always interesting for me :lol:

here we go from cold, cold Melbourne Australia

Bob & Gene - I really really love you - Mo Do

The New Yorkers - Don't want to be your fool - Tac-Ful

Little Melvin & the Boleros - Jealous lover - Valerie

Ernie & Ed - Indication - Jayboy

The Natural Four - Hanging on to a lie - Boola-Boola

The Stratoliners - What do you want with my love - Federal

Social source share

I suppose being English Living in Scotland - Im a foreigner! :lol:

My Top 5 plays at the moment might be

Aguabella - I wanna know - Epsilon

Millie Small - My Street - Brit

Oak Park Groovers - Oak Park Groove - Kristen

Mark Murphy - Why dont you do right - Riverside

Angel - Soothe you - Realside

Social source share

I think thats good Soulof , as we ( UK soulies) can get what is now called "Repetative Trophyism Syndrom" :lol:smile.gif

said "repetitive trophyism syndrom" is the reason why I can't be arsed about "our" (i.e. german) scene any longer. Glad to see that other continental scenes don't suffer from that disease (or suffer to a lesser degree). I always found the italian DJs very refreshing and imaginative in their selections.

Social source share

Many thanks benji from all of us!!!

but i must admitt that few rare time i don't appreciate a dj...i love so much this music (and all kind of black music too)

i've hear many times english dj (last one kenny burrell in rome) and love hear the club function mix or oslo soul one

really good one also from germany (like johnny hitman or marc forrest..sir matt fox kristian auth and more)

The American monster like Mike (pomonkey) or mr finewine or honky are great...

i've heard last year in rimini yann vatiste also him have a really good taste...

this year in rimini there's mr edu from barcellona so i'm curius to hear him live i've read only his playlist...GREAT SPOT !!!

that's all !

Social source share

said "repetitive trophyism syndrom" is the reason why I can't be arsed about "our" (i.e. german) scene any longer. Glad to see that other continental scenes don't suffer from that disease (or suffer to a lesser degree). I always found the italian DJs very refreshing and imaginative in their selections.

I love the way the guys from Bilbao play out. Totally across the board, northern,disco,southern, mid-tempo, rare, chaepies. A real breath of fresh air, don't change it guys :lol:

Social source share

Top 5 r'n'b:

Amanda Humphrey - Dagwood

Barry White - Tracey

Arthur Prysock - I must be doing somethig right

Tony Middleton - Return to spanish harlem

Demons - Going to the dance

Top 5 soul:

Sam Fletcher - I'd think it over

Skip Jackson - I'm onto you girl

Stratoliners - What do you want with my love

Big Maybelle - I just can't wait any longer

Jackie Wilson - Stop Lying (Lp only)

Social source share

Guest marco i

I don't play records so often, but here is my current top five... nothing rare but simply cheerful and/or soulful:

The Montclairs - Unwanted Love

Eugene Record - Overdose Of Joy

The Whispers - Make It With You

Neo - Smile

Sharon Ridley - Changin'

Marco

Social source share

I don't play records so often, but here is current top five... nothing rare but simply cheerful and/or soulful:

The Montclairs - Unwanted Love

Eugene Record - Overdose Of Joy

The Whispers - Make It With You

Neo - Smile

Sharon Ridley - Changin'

Marco

One of my favourites..much subtler than Esther Phillips.great list Marco :lol:

Social source share

Guest smigger

Although I don't hotbox.....here's a few that I have / will be spinning to death (and I don't care what anyone says) :thumbsup:

Barry White - Tracy

Nina Simone - Come on back Jack

Little Gigi - I volunteer

Claude & Hank Carbo - Fox in a miniskirt

Andre Maurice - Be true to you

Social source share

here we go from cold, cold Melbourne Australia

Bob & Gene - I really really love you - Mo Do

The New Yorkers - Don't want to be your fool - Tac-Ful

Little Melvin & the Boleros - Jealous lover - Valerie

Ernie & Ed - Indication - Jayboy

The Natural Four - Hanging on to a lie - Boola-Boola

The Stratoliners - What do you want with my love - Federal

thats i nice copy of enie and ed :thumbsup:

mark

Social source share

Guest E0999

mmm ... :thumbsup:

robbie lee - stop me baby (excel)

lonnie lester - ain't that a shame (nu-tone)

gene woodbury - everybody can't be pretty (del-val)

johnny dunn - the bank for lovers (hull)

leontine dupree - waiting for my baby (soultrack)

Social source share

By trying to avoid the obvious and thinking of current plays (ie records I do try to play every time I get the chance to) I can think of this little bunch

Ralph Jackson "Just Can`t Leave Your Love Alone" RaJac

Perk Badger "I`ll Take My Chance On You" Hit Bound

Mal Adams "Since Man Began" Emerge

James Winfield "Man In Love" Trend

Lee Moses "Never In My Life" Dynamo

Buddy Cantrell "You Ain`t No Good" TUSKA

Soul Brothers SIx "Oh I Need You, Yes I Do" Lyndell

Social source share

Walter B - wasnt that the frantic thing spun at Stafford I think spun by Keb? Great record - anyone post it up??

Grant

it should be in refosoul Grant, I've posted it in past. Quality not great so if anyone can do a decent quality mp3 would be much appreciated.

Social source share

Guest lotusland

fantastic this (flip side offcourse) have you ever seen it on quadrant ?

yeah, mine's on eclipse though. quadrant look's earlier to me but between the producer and the vocalist no one can remember. in fact i don't think they recalled it even came out on 2 labels. it was done out of memphis i think but the group/singers were from Florida.

Social source share

yeah, mine's on eclipse though. quadrant look's earlier to me but between the producer and the vocalist no one can remember. in fact i don't think they recalled it even came out on 2 labels. it was done out of memphis i think but the group/singers were from Florida.

saw one copy go completely unoticed on ebay for $15 then next one went for about $150.

I was kicking myself that I didn't bid on the first I mentioned I was sure it was going to get a high snipe but it never did.

another one of my 45s i've got John Ridley's fantastic site to thank for. My copy was originally found in Holland so there may be more over there ? they do like a good ballad.

I'm not allowed to add a selection of 5 records to this thread as I live in UK :unsure:

Social source share

If I knew how to make mp3's I'd rip you one straight off the 45!! 2 others in the playbox of his would highly recommend are Before I fall in love and Something's wrong, what a voice he had, the B was for Boligny btw.

Just head to Costco and get a $99 USB turntable. simple install and set up. can be recording vinyl in 10 mins :unsure:

Gene

Social source share

Just head to Costco and get a $99 USB turntable. simple install and set up. can be recording vinyl in 10 mins :unsure:

Gene

Should ask the girlfriend to do for me, I've a gift for destroying anything I try and set up however idiotproof :lol:

Yes Dylan, Tommy Dent is really quite something, only know of 3 copies, was discussed fair few times on funk forum, I had 2 of them, all 3 are in different parts of NYC funnily enough, we're trying to talk him into performing at a club we run, can you imagine!!!

Social source share

Should ask the girlfriend to do for me, I've a gift for destroying anything I try and set up however idiotproof :lol:

Yes Dylan, Tommy Dent is really quite something, only know of 3 copies, was discussed fair few times on funk forum, I had 2 of them, all 3 are in different parts of NYC funnily enough, we're trying to talk him into performing at a club we run, can you imagine!!!

having 3 copies in 1 city is just greedy... share the music send one over here. :unsure:

Social source share

Guest vic-shot

By trying to avoid the obvious and thinking of current plays (ie records I do try to play every time I get the chance to) I can think of this little bunch

Ralph Jackson "Just Can`t Leave Your Love Alone" RaJac

Perk Badger "I`ll Take My Chance On You" Hit Bound

Mal Adams "Since Man Began" Emerge

James Winfield "Man In Love" Trend

Lee Moses "Never In My Life" Dynamo

Buddy Cantrell "You Ain`t No Good" TUSKA

Soul Brothers SIx "Oh I Need You, Yes I Do" Lyndell

That Mal Adams is bloody fantastic.

Social source share

yikes, looks like michael has usurped all my former rarities!

MY 10 JULY FOREIGN TOP 10

1. King Curtis, Hot-Rod (Seg-Way)

2. Georgie Woods & Jimmy Bishop, Oooh-Ow Pt. 2 (Uptown)

3. Sool Merchanl [sic], Lower Ride (Peaches)

4. Bobby Taylor, Oh I've Been Blessed (V.I.P.)

5. Brenton Wood, Lovey Dovey Kinda Lovin' (Double Shot)

6. The Epsilons, I Can Get a Woman (Triple G)

7. Claude Shermack, Your Gravy Train (Goldband)

8. Frances Burr, I Say No, No More (Salem)

9. Goodtime Charlie, Tough Competition (Break Out)

10. The Williams Brothers, Rap On (Twain)

BONUS BALLAD

11. Gloria Taylor, What I Want (Selector Sound)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert