Another Take ?

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

SoulClub has an "unedited" version of " Band Of Gold". Better than the brilliant original. Any info anyone ?

I don't agree with you at all that it's "better than the brilliant original" - for a start, it IS the original, which the best known and chart topping version was edited down and remixed from - but the story is that, having cut it in the long format, H-D-H realised that it was a bit meandering, and that it lacked punch for radio play, so they cut out the unnnecessary 'bridge' and - from memory - a verse, replaced the weak intro with something a bit more punchy from elsewhere in the record, added some memorable backing vocals and generally made a good, 4 minute 'work in progress' record into a 2 1/2 minute amazing one.

Although it would have charted, I believe that it would never have become the hit that it was had it not undergone this major 'reconstructive surgery'.

It's been issued several times - indeed, I put it on a V/A Invictus compilation when I was running Sequel in the late 90s - but credit for unearthing it and, indeed, for issuing it first goes to Neil Rushton who put it out on the flip of a a gold vinyl Inferno reissue of the hit version of BOG, c. 1980....

Social source share

Agree that the issued number 1 hit is by far the best. But the longer version (ie the one Chalky put up) is still very sweet.It does lack the drama of the short version though. I can still remember the thrill that the intro to that record gave me when it was played in a club or when it came on the radio.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

does it not change the entire "story " so to speak , with the released version implying the wife being spurned by the husband whereas the original implies the opposite

Social source share

There is a surprisingly good version of Band of Gold by Ronnie Dyson on his first LP , the Columbia LP entitled " If You Let Me Make Love To You... ".

It's more uptempo and more "northern" than Freda's original.

That LP also has Ronnie's turbo charged version of Little Willie John's " Fever " ....

Social source share

Used to love hearing this in the 70s & 80s when the thicko mobile jock would play it at wedding receptions - don't think he actually listened to the words. thumbsup.gif

Closely followed by "Young Hearts Run Free" - can just see the tears of the brides mother rolling down her cheeks.

Social source share

I don't agree with you at all that it's "better than the brilliant original" - for a start, it IS the original, which the best known and chart topping version was edited down and remixed from - but the story is that, having cut it in the long format, H-D-H realised that it was a bit meandering, and that it lacked punch for radio play, so they cut out the unnnecessary 'bridge' and - from memory - a verse, replaced the weak intro with something a bit more punchy from elsewhere in the record, added some memorable backing vocals and generally made a good, 4 minute 'work in progress' record into a 2 1/2 minute amazing one.

Although it would have charted, I believe that it would never have become the hit that it was had it not undergone this major 'reconstructive surgery'.

It's been issued several times - indeed, I put it on a V/A Invictus compilation when I was running Sequel in the late 90s - but credit for unearthing it and, indeed, for issuing it first goes to Neil Rushton who put it out on the flip of a a gold vinyl Inferno reissue of the hit version of BOG, c. 1980....

Okay, better than the version that charted :rolleyes: imo. And I've got that inferno version somewhere rolleyes.gif d'oh

Social source share

I only have the Invictus INV 502 Copy, anyone know the story behind the 533 release, it is the rarest number.

Hi Roger,

The 533 was issued in 1973 when distribution moved from Capitol (US) and EMI (UK) to Columbia (UK CBS) and they apparantly wihdrew it soon after... due to lack of interest.

Understandable really as "BOG" had been a huge seller on both sides of the pond only a couple of years earlier.

I had a copy up on eBay about a year ago for about £12... but didn't get any takers. Bizarre really given its scarcity, but I guess that some folk (most folk) didn't realise what it was I was advertising.

UK Collectors will certainly know how hard it is. Anything less than £25, in Mint Condition, would be a good price I'd say.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Hi Roger,

The 533 was issued in 1973 when distribution moved from Capitol (US) and EMI (UK) to Columbia (UK CBS) and they apparantly wihdrew it soon after... due to lack of interest.

Understandable really as "BOG" had been a huge seller on both sides of the pond only a couple of years earlier.

I had a copy up on eBay about a year ago for about £12... but didn't get any takers. Bizarre really given its scarcity, but I guess that some folk (most folk) didn't realise what it was I was advertising.

UK Collectors will certainly know how hard it is. Anything less than £25, in Mint Condition, would be a good price I'd say.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Hi Sean

Thanks, I've often wondered what happened with the release and why It was withdrawn from sale.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert