The Situation With Soulful House

• Replies 61
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Wanted to see what it sounded like.

Thought as shite goes, it was ok :shades: but it lasted eight minutes so I gave up after 90 seconds :lol::yes::P:yes:

Glad you thought it was ok Dave (as shite goes :lol: )

Would also like to thank all of the 5000+ people who have also listened to it :wicked:

Funny thing is there's only 3 original copy's, mine, Julia Nicols & Barry Sharpe's who did the remix.

Guess that makes it rarer than a copy of the Magnetics on Bonnie :yes:

As for playing 3 house tracks in a 1 hour spot you may have a point - don't leave much time for owt else :D

Social source share

Guest Byrney

There's some lovely Jap Jazz stuff released on Underground Resistance as it happens. :shades:

GalaxyGal-HiTech.jpg

Favorite techno label along with Red Planet :lol:

Social source share

So if someone was hell bent on winding you up they could put it to you that Soul Sam playing DJ Genesis and filling the floor is a good thing?

Personally I think DJ Genesis is one of the worst things I've ever heard in my life, swas in there with me, so I couldn't have been that bothered :lol: I just couldn't ignore you calling the kettle black :wicked::shades:

The biggest joke is people were paying £50 for the twelve inch after Sam aired it.

Still readily around for £5/ £6 and always has been. Sounds like Kylie on helium to my ears !!

Social source share

So if someone was hell bent on winding you up they could put it to you that Soul Sam playing DJ Genesis and filling the floor is a good thing?

Not really, it bears no relation to the Sixties Soul / R & b that I love and play.

Personally I think DJ Genesis is one of the worst things I've ever heard in my life, syrupy nonsense (although alot of people do like it, including my lovely girlfriend), and that filling a dance floor has never been the sole indicator of a record being good. Many dance floors in the land are packed every weekend to the sound of the "Cheeky Girls" but it doesn't mean that cheesey pop tunes are good records. I guess someone on a wind up could suggest to you that all of the RnB tunes that you play are equally as distastfull to some hardcore northern die hards even though you had the dance floor packed.

They probably are, but I guess some of the hardcore Northern fans don't like some of the Soul I play either. Or some of the unreleased stuff you play, that thankfully stayed unreleased (IMHO) :shades:

Dave, I'm not bothered either way mate, I'm just being a bit of devil. I spent a big chunk of my night at Crossfire in the weird swirly room trying to figure out why Roger Banks was in there with me, so I couldn't have been that bothered :yes: I just couldn't ignore you calling the kettle black :P:lol:

We've got a white kettle now, we used to have a chrome one, but it was a bugger of a job to keep cleaning all the fingermarks off it.

The point I was trying to make (Obviously badly) with regards to R & B and Northern Soul rooms, is that the two are far more akin in style and era than trying to play House music in Northern rooms. I never play a full R & B spot unless I'm in an R & B room, but personally feel that there is scope in any Northern Soul room to play some R & B, and the occasional instrumental.

Anyway, stop picking on me, or I'll sulk :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

why is it only the northern rooms that must except all these differnt styles?

:thumbsup: Hear! Hear!

I don't think I said that anywhere.

I love 60's soul, I've just re-bought Donald Jenkins if that's any help, I think it does have a place in Modern rooms though, as I said earlier.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

We've got a white kettle now, we used to have a chrome one, but it was a bugger of a job to keep cleaning all the fingermarks off it.

The point I was trying to make (Obviously badly) with regards to R & B and Northern Soul rooms, is that the two are far more akin in style and era than trying to play House music in Northern rooms. I never play a full R & B spot unless I'm in an R & B room, but personally feel that there is scope in any Northern Soul room to play some R & B, and the occasional instrumental.

Anyway, stop picking on me, or I'll sulk :ohmy:

They probably are, but I guess some of the hardcore Northern fans don't like some of the Soul I play either. Or some of the unreleased stuff you play, that thankfully stayed unreleased (IMHO)

Now then, now then! :lol::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

not that difficult....interestingly the stomping pounding northern is almost the same bpm as house/soulful garage....check my forthcoming mix for rhythmic freedom in japan...soon come :huh::no::D

C'mon Tony, we're waiting with pleasure! thumbup.gif

Btw House scene in the states already has the history of 30 years. Though the real house recordings were made more later of course... :wicked:

Social source share

Guest blackwax

Do you really want me to answer that? You think diehard northern soul people such as myself should accept electronic bleepy dance shite music with open arms? Why? What does it have in common with it's 1967 counterpart?

Thats part of the problem right there (if there is a problem LOL)

I guess your exposure to soulful house music hasnt been a positive one?

there are some amazing vocal dance records from that scene that dont have a thumping bass or electrinic bleeps BUT unfortunatly many DJ's from the northern/modern/crossover scene just dont spend time finding them

I mean michael proctor has been mentioned but how old is that??? is that as deep as they dig??

One reason i stopped going to real soul clubs is because the music for me became stagnent dont get me wrong i love the old stuff but when you hear the same records out every week for 15 years or more it can get tiresome

This is not meant to offend anyone im to young to remmember the Northern clubs but i am a big soul music lover and its been a passion of mine for many a year now (about 20)

This subject will get dragged up time and time again and there will never be complete agreement on the subject

bloody hell im rambling again shut up blackwax (tired after a weekend of soulful DANCE music)

Social source share

The new hendesford nighter featured a soulful dance room, spot on really worked well with DJ's that knew their onions soulful house wise! that way it keeps it seperate hey i even ventured in there a few times much better than hearing that tribute to betty pap!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert