Northern Soul Events

Hi Paddy,

Did'nt realise it was your site at first.

Looks a cracking line up for the weekender (apart from the FV's :thumbup: )

Would'nt mind seeing Deon Jackson live & might even have a mosie on down.

Can you confirm that he's still on as heard the Contours have been added to the line up & was wondering if it's to replace anybody?

(Hope it's the Vandals)

Mart...

Hi Mart

Yes Deon Jackson is still on, but I have added Chuck Davis who is the lead singer with The Contours who will open the Friday night to sing some of their great tracks that will include Jealousy!! Thelma Jones is also on Friday night.

Cheers

Paddy

Social source share

• Replies 64
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

No thats not what im saying at all, i'll take the chance to reply to soulgirl too.

the word rare means so many differnt things, i would rather hear a fresh sounding record thats say £20 than £2000, price is subjective as long as the quality is there. i would rather go to a night that is just playing good black 60s dance music (soul) than any thing else some of the 'upfront' nighters can even get a bit stale i dont really beleive in all that got to be so upfront stuff, i would rather go to a night thats playing again good music be it new to me or old to me, as long as its good then im as happy as a pig in sh*t

Im going in line with the artical that was printed on "the #1 northern soul website in the world" ( :thumbup: ) where it said a night was advertising its self as a northern soul night these 'mysterious' people turned up and they were just playing 'rare' expecting a 'northern' night who the **** are these people because they sure aint soul fans? no? i've been to nights that i dont like the majority of the music played but always find summin i like to have a dance, but to say these arnt northern dos, its not right!

I didn't say you had to agree with my 'passion' things but i tried to list as many as i could for people to relate too.

But i do beleive to take the whole northern soul ethos in you have to get about abit and travel.

Can't disagree with your first paragraph Baz and yes, i believe to keep it fresh for yourself, it's good to get out and about. Unfortunately, time & Money become a consideration in that respect.

Social source share

Hi Mart

Yes Deon Jackson is still on, but I have added Chuck Davis who is the lead singer with The Contours who will open the Friday night to sing some of their great tracks that will include Jealousy!! Thelma Jones is also on Friday night.

Cheers

Paddy

Chuck Davis???

Spent 5 days with the real Contours & thier manager & keyboard player Glen Raby last year & Chuck Davis is definitely not the lead singer.

The lead singers are Sylvester Potts & Tony Womack.

Think you'll find Chuck Davis was only about 7 years old when the Contours were formed & is a singer with some sort of Contours tribute band a bit like all the Drifters tribute bands Paddy.

Social source share

Biggest load of bull **** i've ever read!

Oldies events aren't northern soul, northern soul is about going out and hearing new and 'rare' what ever the word rare means to you its all the same basicly because lets be honest some of the biggest oldies are the rarest on the planet (frank wilson any one?) so that blows that crap argument out the water :thumbsup:

Any way back to the point, if you dont go out wanting to hear and dance to new tunes no matter what any one says your not into Northern soul :P

UKs number one northern soul website :P there is only one contender for that crown! :thumbsup:

Thats what the real scene is all about innit :thumbup::yes::yes: .

Russ

Social source share

I really shouldnt get involved in these debates, cos they do tend to wind me up some. Always found Paddy to be a nice friendly guy when we have spoken occasionally on the phone, however I dont agree personally with Paddys view of the NS scene, not that it has ever been put into print or anything, more the over all tone of the B & S articles Paddy has written. My solution was not to read them. I have been aware of the site & the radio show for years, its not my kinda thing so I dont visit or listen.

Everyone has a right to enjoy what ever part of the NS scene turns em on. What I take great exception to is the 'die hard' oldies fans who thru ignorance or just plain indifference to anything other than thier own slant on the scene make sweeping comments about what NS is or isnt. I really have no problem with people who want to visit oldies only venues, they can listen & dance to oldies until they are sick for all I care, but the original ethos of the NS was for newly discovered danceable soul records to be played. Now we all know that its pretty much impossible to play only newies these days, but DJ's & promoters who care about the natural progression of the NS scene, take trouble to employ & incorporate DJ's who play some newies & then use intelligence to put together a set of records that incorporate less obvious records that may not have been played for a long time or even completely forgotten. Anyhoo I am reasonably tolerent of the oldies scene, its part of the overall NS scene & has been for years & years......but a lot of the oldies fans are not tolerant of those of us that enjoy the path that incorporates the original ethos of the NS scene to the extent of denial & ridicule.

The passion for new & different kinds of soul records saw the birth of NS, the best venues & DJ's stuck with this thru the golden era, thru the 8ts, its pretty much what kept the scene alive to some extent & these days, to me & many others, its what stops NS from becoming a total laughing stock & guess what IMHO its what will keep the NS scene alive after many of the oldies only fans have moved on again.

True Faith Kept............Right On.

Russ

Social source share

Chuck Davis???

Spent 5 days with the real Contours & thier manager & keyboard player Glen Raby last year & Chuck Davis is definitely not the lead singer.

Think you'll find Chuck Davis was only about 7 years old when the Contours were formed & is a singer with some sort of Contours tribute band a bit like all the Drifters tribute bands Paddy.

Hi Cunnie

Chuck Davis sings with The 'Joe Billingsea' Contours. I know there is a bit a friction between both of these groups, and Joe believe's his group to be the 'real' one, it is the one that the Motown Alumni recognises though. Chuck is going to start the Friday night show off mate.

Cheers

Paddy

Social source share

I really shouldnt get involved in these debates, cos they do tend to wind me up some. Always found Paddy to be a nice friendly guy when we have spoken occasionally on the phone, however I dont agree personally with Paddys view of the NS scene, not that it has ever been put into print or anything, more the over all tone of the B & S articles Paddy has written. My solution was not to read them. I have been aware of the site & the radio show for years, its not my kinda thing so I dont visit or listen.

Everyone has a right to enjoy what ever part of the NS scene turns em on. What I take great exception to is the 'die hard' oldies fans who thru ignorance or just plain indifference to anything other than thier own slant on the scene make sweeping comments about what NS is or isnt. I really have no problem with people who want to visit oldies only venues, they can listen & dance to oldies until they are sick for all I care, but the original ethos of the NS was for newly discovered danceable soul records to be played. Now we all know that its pretty much impossible to play only newies these days, but DJ's & promoters who care about the natural progression of the NS scene, take trouble to employ & incorporate DJ's who play some newies & then use intelligence to put together a set of records that incorporate less obvious records that may not have been played for a long time or even completely forgotten. Anyhoo I am reasonably tolerent of the oldies scene, its part of the overall NS scene & has been for years & years......but a lot of the oldies fans are not tolerant of those of us that enjoy the path that incorporates the original ethos of the NS scene to the extent of denial & ridicule.

The passion for new & different kinds of soul records saw the birth of NS, the best venues & DJ's stuck with this thru the golden era, thru the 8ts, its pretty much what kept the scene alive to some extent & these days, to me & many others, its what stops NS from becoming a total laughing stock & guess what IMHO its what will keep the NS scene alive after many of the oldies only fans have moved on again.

True Faith Kept............Right On.

Russ

Get back in yer box you loonie! :lol:

You going to Pittsburgh on Fri/Sat?

Regards ,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Chuck Davis???

Spent 5 days with the real Contours & their manager & keyboard player Glen Raby last year & Chuck Davis is definitely not the lead singer.

CHUCK IS LEAD SINGER OF THE CONTOURS ...... HE IS A GROUP MEMBER OF JOE BILLINGSLEA'S GROUP. JOE BILLINGSLEA IS AN ORIGINAL MEMBER OF THE GROUP THE CONTOURS NOT SYLVESTER , JOE WAS IN THE GROUP BEFORE SYLVESTER. SYLVESTER LEFT AND CAME BACK TO THE GROUP A FEW TIMES OVER THE YEARS. CHUCK HAS BEEN A CONTOUR FOR ROUGHLY THE LAST 23 YRS AND RECORDED ON ALL THERE MOTORCITY STUFF. ALSO CHUCK IS THE 3RD LONGEST SERVING MEMBER AFTER JOE AND SYLVESTER. THERE IS A LOT MORE TO THIS GROUP SPLIT WHICH I 100% NOW ABOUT, AT THE MOMENT I WILL NOT MAKE COMMENTS BUT IT WILL ALL COME OUT SOON. I HAVE MET SYLVESTER A FEW TIMES HERE IN THE UK AND IN DETROIT ALONG WITH THERE MANAGER JACK RYAN LETS GET ONE THING STRAIGHT GLEN IS NOT THERE MANAGER. I ARRANGED IN OCTOBER 2006 AND I WAS PRESENT WITH SYLVESTER IN DETROIT WHEN HE WAS INTERVIEWED ON THE RIGHT TRACK RADIO SHOW WHICH I THANK HIM AND GRATEFUL FOR JUST BEFORE HIS GROUP CAME TO PRESTATYN. IN FEBRUARY THIS YEAR IN DETROIT I DONE A INTERVIEW WITH CHUCK WHICH I WILL PUT OUT SHORTLY TELLING THE STORY THE REASON FOR THE SPLIT AND THE FORMED OF THE 2 CONTOUR GROUPS , YOU WILL ALL MAKE UP YOUR OWN MINDS ONCE YOU SEE THIS INTERVIEW ,THIS WILL BE PUT OUT ONCE THE LEGAL STUFF IS ALL SORTED HAS I BELIEVE AT PRESENT THE 2 GROUPS ARE GOING BACK TO COURT DUE TO THE FACT THAT ONE OF THE GROUPS HAVE BROKEN THERE COURT ORDER.. I WONDER WHO THAT IS :lol: ALL I WOULD LIKE TO SAY ON THE MATTER THAT THERE WOULD BE NO NICE COMMENTS FROM MYSELF FOR SYLVESTER POTTS , JACK RYAN , GLEN RABY. RIGHT THIS SO CALLED TRIBUTE BAND THE CONTOURS WITH ORIGINAL BAND MEMBER WITH JOE BILLINGSLEY ( AND I STATE YET AGAIN BEFORE SYLVESTER POTTS) SO HOW CAN TONY WOMACK AND DARYL NUNENT ALONG WITH SYLVESTER BE SO CALLED " THE REAL CONTOURS" CHUCK HAS BEEN A CONTOUR A LOT LONGER THAN TONY AND DARYL. CHUCK WAS ON THERE LAST RECORDED ALBUM " NEW DIRECTION " .... ALONG WITH SYLVESTER WHEN IT WAS JUST ONE GROUP. CHUCK IS STILL WRITING AND PRODUCING A NEW ALBUM FOR THE GROUP WHICH WILL BE OUT IN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS AND TO BE HONEST I'VE HEARD IT AND ITS FAB, I WONDER WHEN THE OTHER SO CALLED REAL CONTOURS WILL HAVE THERE NEW ALBUM OUT ?. MY POINT OF VIEW AND CREDIT TO CHUCK AND JOE BILLINGSLEA ( YET AGAIN ORIGINAL MEMBER) THEY ARE MOVING THE GROUP FORWARD WITH NEW RECORDINGS AND NOT LIVING ON THE PAST OF THE SO CALLED YESTERDAY PAST HITS. LIKE PADDY HAS STATED CHUCK WILL BE OVER HERE IN MAY, SINGING BABY HIT & RUN , JUST A LITTLE MISUNDERSTANDING, JEALOUSY ( ALTHOUGH HE NEVER RECORDED THESE WITH THE GROUP) CHUCK SINGS BABY HIY & RUN SUPERBLY AND NO DISRESPECT TO TONY AND DARYL CHUCK IS FAR BETTER SINGER.

FOR MORE INFO ON CHUCK AND THE CONTOURS PLEASE VISIT

WWW.MYSPACE.COM/MOTOWNCONTOURS

Social source share

Here's a link that works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Contours

As for the comments about Chuck being a better singer than Tony Womack thats a matter of opinion & I don't think the 2500 who saw Sylvester Potts's Contours at Prestatyn last year would agree with you.

The point I was making was that Chuck Davis was only about 7 years old when Sylvester & Joe were having there hits in the early 60s & he was a Contour in the Levine, Motorcity era.

Just a shame that such a great band have had this split & an even bigger shame they can't patch things up.

I'm sure thats something we can both agree on.

Mart...

PS, I think your caps lock is stuck :lol:

Social source share

Here's a link that works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Contours

As for the comments about Chuck being a better singer than Tony Womack thats a matter of opinion & I don't think the 2500 who saw Sylvester Potts's Contours at Prestatyn last year would agree with you.

The point I was making was that Chuck Davis was only about 7 years old when Sylvester & Joe were having there hits in the early 60s & he was a Contour in the Levine, Motorcity era.

Just a shame that such a great band have had this split & an even bigger shame they can't patch things up.

I'm sure thats something we can both agree on.

Mart...

PS, I think your caps lock is stuck :lol:

MART , YES MY CAPS LOCK IS ON, FOR SOME STRANGE REASON I ALWAYS TYPE THIS WAY, YES ALSO AGREE MY OPINION CHUCK IS A BETTER SINGER ALTHOUGH I KNOW OTHERS HERE IN THE UK AND DETROIT AGREE WITH ME. THE 2500 AT PRESTAYN DID SEE A GREAT SHOW FROM SYLVESTER AND TONY AND DARYL AND I WAS THERE, AND FOR ANY OTHERS WHO SEEN THE GROUP AT THE TIME WHEN SYLVESTER WAS IN THE OTHER LINE UP AT THE Q CLUB IN BIRMINGHAM, AND LIVERPOOL IN 2003 I DO WANT TO POINT OUT I DO WISH SYLVESTER POTTS AND THE GROUP ALL THE BEST IN THE FUTURE, ITS THAT I KNOW CERTAIN THINGS ABOUT THE SPLIT THAT MAKES ME VERY UPSET, ITS NOT JUST CHUCK AND JOE TELLING ME OTHERS ALSO IN DETROIT KNOWS WHATS GONE ON SORT OF THING. YES 100% AGREE ITS A SHAME THE THE GROUP SPLIT INTO 2 GROUPS. I ASKED CHUCK IF SYLVESTER WOULD EVER REJOIN AND THE NICEST WAY TO PUT ON HERE .... VERY DOUBTFUL, YES ITS A BIG SHAME. THANKS FOR PUTTING THE RIGHT LINK ON HERE :lol: AND HOPEFULLY JOE'S GROUP HAVE GOT SOME DATES TO COME OVER LATER ON IN THE YEAR SO IF YOU GET CHANCE PLEASE GO AND SEE THEM.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mart

Cheers

Paddy

Oops!

Telling a few porky's Paddy?

Funny how I knew this 3 weeks ago.

Was he ever coming & has he got a valid passport Paddy?

Social source share

Oops!

Telling a few porky's Paddy?

Funny how I knew this 3 weeks ago.

Was he ever coming & has he got a valid passport Paddy?

The SWONS part 42 ph34r.gifph34r.gif

As a few of you know I have been lucky enough to have made contact with a handful of soul artists over the years and occassionally I write the odd piece about them - As it happens I was in contact with Deons representative last year on behalf of some friends. Negotiations took place to try and book Deon's services for an event in the UK and It was made clear that sadly he would not be travelling to the UK in the forseeable future due to private issues - unrelated to his own health as I recall.

Given that this took place several months ago, No-one was more suprised than me to see him being promoted to appear at the Northampton weekender.

So enquiries were again made a couple of months ago just to see why the situation had changed and still the same message came back i.e. that he would not be travelling to the UK - rather than p*ss on Paddy's party I thought the right thing was to say nothing publically, particularly in light of a certain article that was debated (quite properly IMO ) on here, before its hasty removal from the UK's 'number one northern soul website' . That being the same article that started this thread and was scathing amongst other things of quote 'amateur promoters ' unquote.

Surely having written an article like that Paddy would not then have gone on to promote Deons appearance at his weekender without a written contractual agreement being in place would he? ....................

No doubt Paddy will be happy to give you an answer to your question Cunnie, as I'm sure anyone who booked specially to see Deon in recent weeks will be feeling a touch disappointed.

SWONS indeed :Dwhistling.gif

Mike

Edited by Mike B
Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(Mike B @ May 20 2007, 11:12 PM) link
The SWONS part 42 ph34r.gifph34r.gif

As a few of you know I have been lucky enough to have made contact with a handful of soul artists over the years and occassionally I write the odd piece about them - As it happens I was in contact with Deons representative last year on behalf of some friends. Negotiations took place to try and book Deon's services for an event in the UK and It was made clear that sadly he would not be travelling to the UK in the forseeable future due to private issues - unrelated to his own health as I recall.

Given that this took place several months ago, No-one was more suprised than me to see him being promoted to appear at the Northampton weekender.

So enquiries were again made a couple of months ago just to see why the situation had changed and still the same message came back i.e. that he would not be travelling to the UK - rather than p*ss on Paddy's party I thought the right thing was to say nothing publically, particularly in light of a certain article that was debated (quite properly IMO ) on here, before its hasty removal from the UK's 'number one northern soul website' . That being the same article that started this thread and was scathing amongst other things of quote 'amateur promoters ' unquote.

Surely having written an article like that Paddy would not then have gone on to promote Deons appearance at his weekender without a written contractual agreement being in place would he? ....................

No doubt Paddy will be happy to give you an answer to your question Cunnie, as I'm sure anyone who booked specially to see Deon in recent weeks will be feeling a touch disappointed.

SWONS indeed :Dwhistling.gif

Mike

Would haved loved to see Deon jackson in the UK & Mike bent over backwards to get him over to PRESTATYN in march 2007, 6 months of negotiations, CONTRACTS drawn up, WORK PERMITS set out and Deon made it clear, even after numerous phone calls, he did not want to come !!

We now never advertise our acts until the ink is dry on the contract, but the Prestatyn faithful know we will always pull out all the stops to provide a great showcase with something a little bit extra special.

Its sad that when something goes wrong the promoter will not come out and be HONEST with the people who stump up their hard earned cash and tell them straight, as Ady has just done with Kel Osbourne, as soon as Ady knew he put the word out straight away and announced a replacement act.

By the way The Tymes are not coming over in October either, I am still see handbills around advertising them as well !!!

I don't know how people stand with refunds etc, but may be a call to Trading Standards would give you some ideas anyone feels they have been mislead in anyway, which i believe is where this thread started......................

Reagrds

Rob & karen

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Errm no from day one thats what the soul scene has been about, im sure most people would agree with me on that.

there is no passion in going out week in week out not hearing new! just because you have it written accross your chest dont mean its passion, passion about summing is going out week in week out traveling the lenght of the country finding new, passion is trawling through record boxes and ebay looking for that ellusive record, passion is about dancing to new with out a care, northern soul is passion! not traveling 20 miles up the road to hear do i love you at your local wedding/disco that aint passion.

And you should know buy now that any one who dont agree with me doesn't know jack :Dbiggrin.gif

PASSION............

There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart - pursue these.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert