Northern In The Mainstream

northern in the mainstream media ?  

1. 1. is it a good thing ?

• good thing
    • bad thing
    • who cares

I think it's a good thing....just as long as we get some sensible people talking about it instead of the usual e-jit "talking heads" that get wheeled out to talk crapola about the scene whenever there's a camera or microphone in spitting distance.

Social source share

• Replies 122
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards it being a good thing.

I'm 35, and hopefully I've got at least another 25 years of this music in front of me...

Seems a bit selfish for those who've had it for the last 30+ years to deny it to someone else just because they don't fit their image of what someone attending a Northern event should be like.

I understand the reluctance of people to allow possible drunks/idiots into the scene, which is why nights like Little Stevies Manchester town centre events are I.M.O crucial - a chance to sort the wheat from the chaff without the ahem 'polution' of the underground events - anyone genuinely into the music will pick up flyers for other events and investigate further.

Like it or not - attendances are falling at local do's - running at less than half of what they were 3 years ago - give it another ten years and your average nighter goer will be knocking on retirements door (many are already), so those crying out about keeping the scene as it is will be crying into their Horlicks when there is nowhere to go.

Anyway enough of this 'serious' stuff... back to the nonsense....

WOOF

Social source share

Can only be a good thing. Anyone who says keep it underground is a dinosaur because it'll stay underground, nobody will discover it and it will die out, simple as that. We're all getting older. Will NS still be around after we all die? Not without exposure bringing in new people.

iagree.gif

bigcuddleee.gif

Social source share

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards it being a good thing.

I'm 35, and hopefully I've got at least another 25 years of this music in front of me...

Seems a bit selfish for those who've had it for the last 30+ years to deny it to someone else just because they don't fit their image of what someone attending a Northern event should be like.

I understand the reluctance of people to allow possible drunks/idiots into the scene, which is why nights like Little Stevies Manchester town centre events are I.M.O crucial - a chance to sort the wheat from the chaff without the ahem 'polution' of the underground events - anyone genuinely into the music will pick up flyers for other events and investigate further.

Like it or not - attendances are falling at local do's - running at less than half of what they were 3 years ago - give it another ten years and your average nighter goer will be knocking on retirements door (many are already), so those crying out about keeping the scene as it is will be crying into their Horlicks when there is nowhere to go.

Anyway enough of this 'serious' stuff... back to the nonsense....

WOOF¢Å¾¢

Bearsy mentioned rules over the page and got his head bitten off. Think I know what he was driving at though. I remember Eddie King talking about the Pisa nighters and how there's no etiquette as such. Someone treads on your toe - so what? I like our way, if I step on someone's toe, they'll get eye contact, a smile, a sincere "sorry" and maybe even a tactile reassurance. No fighting, no getting out of hand drunk, no 'pulling' on any kind of noticeable scale.

Over exposure by the media and an influx of newbies and all of that'll be gone. So a scene that dies on it's arse in another fifteen years, or changed beyond ("it weren't like this in the old days") recognition?

Social source share

Guest Rowly

Why do we have to worry about who walks through the door as a newie.

Either this music grabs you by the nuts and turns your life around or it does'nt.There aint no middle ground!

Those that get it will stay, those that don't will feck off to the next big thing.

BUT first, they gotta hear it.

Tony

Wot Tony Said - Innit! yes.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

Bearsy mentioned rules over the page and got his head bitten off. Think I know what he was driving at though. I remember Eddie King talking about the Pisa nighters and how there's no etiquette as such. Someone treads on your toe - so what? I like our way, if I step on someone's toe, they'll get eye contact, a smile, a sincere "sorry" and maybe even a tactile reassurance. No fighting, no getting out of hand drunk, no 'pulling' on any kind of noticeable scale.

Over exposure by the media and an influx of newbies and all of that'll be gone. So a scene that dies on it's arse in another fifteen years, or changed beyond ("it weren't like this in the old days") recognition?

I do think Bearsy got it right there are rules,but I also think he ment rules of etiquette,and he is correct.....well I think he is

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Guest Rowly

I think it's a good thing....just as long as we get some sensible people talking about it instead of the usual e-jit "talking heads" that get wheeled out to talk crapola about the scene whenever there's a camera or microphone in spitting distance.

I really don't think it's nice to talk that way about Ady or Keb do you? ohmy.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

So a scene that dies on it's arse in another fifteen years, or changed beyond ("it weren't like this in the old days") recognition?

Do you honestly think more than 50% of the people attending now will be attending events in more than 10 years time?

Looking at quite a few, they'll be lucky to be alive in 10 years.

Social source share

Do you honestly think more than 50% of the people attending now will be attending events in more than 10 years time?

Looking at quite a few, they'll be lucky to be alive in 10 years.

You have a point. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I know what i meant too Simsy but some on here obviously took it the wrong way, when is an un-written rule not a rule, better known as i often read on here as Ettiquette. if the scene was described as exactly what it is then whats wrong with that, the music will always win in the end. my mates cant believe that in 2 years ive become some kind of addicted soul freak and travel all over to hear it too when i should be in the local with them getting pissed all night.

i dont try and explain as they just wouldnt understand but they have heard the tunes and even a couple been to a couple of local nights and nearly fainted when i got up for a dance before i was pissed. i dont care if they do take the piss as at the end of the day they are the ones missing out,

Social source share

Guest little glyn

thumbsup.gif introducing new faces to the scene i would of thought should be an absolute must there is no in between you either love it big style or you can,t see or understand what the fuss is all about new faces surely keeping the scene alive and kicking and is a big must instead of this elitist attitude that some people have.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

instead of this elitist attitude that some people have.

Little dig from Little Glyn? Don't know if you read or understood any of the previous posts.

There has always been an element of elitism, whether it's a good thing or a bad thing is not for me to say. However all that's needed is passion. That and a want to hear the music, by osmosis, the rest will fall into place. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Little dig from Little Glyn? Don't know if you read or understood any of the previous posts.

There has always been an element of elitism, whether it's a good thing or a bad thing is not for me to say. However all that's needed is passion. That and a want to hear the music, by osmosis, the rest will fall into place. thumbsup.gif

Its not the elitist attitude thats a problem imo. Its not wanting any new blood thats concerning imo. Usually because "they don't know how to behave"

Of course, everybody with that attitude started of as a knowledgeable fully aware "soulie" once they discovered the scene. Never a div, they knew exactly how it worked from day one. What b*ll*cks.

Record prices are dropping, attendances seem to be falling, and the only concern is somebody on the dance floor with a bottle of beer in their hand.

(As for the Pisa all nighter, I may be missing the point, but i went to the last one. It was as friendly as anywhere here. And the crowd were mainly (obviously) Italian, but made everybody welcome.

The only problem was some ex Twisted Wheel goer telling us all that the locals needed "educating".

Tw*t

Social source share

Its not the elitist attitude thats a problem imo. Its not wanting any new blood thats concerning imo. Usually because "they don't know how to behave" Who said anything about not wanting new blood?

Of course, everybody with that attitude started of as a knowledgeable fully aware "soulie" once they discovered the scene. Never a div, they knew exactly how it worked from day one. What b*ll*cks. I said ALL you need is passion. Simple really.

Record prices are dropping, attendances seem to be falling, and the only concern is somebody on the dance floor with a bottle of beer in their hand. That's not the only concern and we are powerless to do anything about the record prices.

(As for the Pisa all nighter, I may be missing the point, but i went to the last one. It was as friendly as anywhere here. And the crowd were mainly (obviously) Italian, but made everybody welcome.

The only problem was some ex Twisted Wheel goer telling us all that the locals needed "educating".

Tw*t

You are missing the point and thumbsup.gifto the last bit.

Rough night Steve? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

You have just summed it up perfectly in my eyes....i dont think the trouble would just be with town menfolk though....you must have had the odd townie female who have grabbed the arm of a male soulie and drunkenly saying to them "show us the dance then luv" whistling

Yes it was very much word of mouth before all this internet stuff...and in my mind ...if people are that determind to get into the scene....i really don't think going mainstream would be the answer...you don't choose to be into Northern...it chooses you...Delxxx

I agree with what you are saying here, this is the downside of it. Usually they don't come back though. (but it can ruin the night if you have a group of them slopping around with their drinks on the floor) Here in Australia it is still an underground scene. I was living in Oz for 17 years before I realised there was a scene here. I don't know if that was because I didn't look or because it wasn't advertised in the mainstream media. To be honest I didn't expect it here. I would have known where to go in the UK. We have had some people who have been new to the scene and absolutely love it, love the music and like we all did at one point, learn "the rules" for themselves. So in the short time I have been back in the scene I have seen new people embrace it and the divs and handbags come and go. So I am a bit in the middle here.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I dont get how having the music in the media spotlight helps the scene at all. It may help the odd record dealer shift that pile of Sam Fletcher boots they've had for 20 years, because the music is on an AXA advert. But thats it.

Its better kept well away from the mainstream, because IMO, if you make it mainstream, you take away the Northern Soul, and make it just another part of the soul scene. And thats what it isnt.

Nights like Stevies, and James' are the perfect way to introduce fresh blood. I often disagree with James about some things, but his, and Steve's passion for introducing new people to our music has to be 100% congratulated and supported. These guys (and many other promoters) are the ones who are going to keep the scene going. Not miseries like me. But to 'dumb down' the scene isnt an option. I dont care if that is elitist. Its the way it was when I first started going as a kid in 77, and unless you want a different scene, its the way I think it should remain.

That doesnt mean for one second discourage anybody.

I know a few people on here have a leaning toward the punk scene. I have a few mates who were into it from the word go, and still are. Ask them what it was like having this underground scene, and then it exploding into public conciousness. Every herbert from the local supermarket, estate agents or art school suddenly thought, dying their hair, and wearing a Clash T-shirt made them punk rockers. look what happened. They lost interest in a few months, and left the punk scene fragmented. it only carried on because it went back underground. Kids today still grow up and get into it. They have their ettiquettes and traditions, and the kids who are really into it, embrace them and enjoy them as much as the guys our age. There is no reason what so ever we should be any different.

Social source share

I dont get how having the music in the media spotlight helps the scene at all. It may help the odd record dealer shift that pile of Sam Fletcher boots they've had for 20 years, because the music is on an AXA advert. But thats it.

Its better kept well away from the mainstream, because IMO, if you make it mainstream, you take away the Northern Soul, and make it just another part of the soul scene. And thats what it isnt.

Nights like Stevies, and James' are the perfect way to introduce fresh blood. I often disagree with James about some things, but his, and Steve's passion for introducing new people to our music has to be 100% congratulated and supported. These guys (and many other promoters) are the ones who are going to keep the scene going. Not miseries like me. But to 'dumb down' the scene isnt an option. I dont care if that is elitist. Its the way it was when I first started going as a kid in 77, and unless you want a different scene, its the way I think it should remain.

That doesnt mean for one second discourage anybody.

I know a few people on here have a leaning toward the punk scene. I have a few mates who were into it from the word go, and still are. Ask them what it was like having this underground scene, and then it exploding into public conciousness. Every herbert from the local supermarket, estate agents or art school suddenly thought, dying their hair, and wearing a Clash T-shirt made them punk rockers. look what happened. They lost interest in a few months, and left the punk scene fragmented. it only carried on because it went back underground. Kids today still grow up and get into it. They have their ettiquettes and traditions, and the kids who are really into it, embrace them and enjoy them as much as the guys our age. There is no reason what so ever we should be any different.

Good points, and your starting to win me over, however, where is the gateway into the scene?

With the punk movement,and after this kind of discussion, the general concensus is that bands like busted or mcfly, however cr*p, have an important place in introducing youngsters into rock music, then in turn the more interested will seek out and find (how shall i put it)more refined bands.

Where is the gateway into northern soul if not KFC or catfood ads?

I got into it cos i was force fed it from a very young age, if that wasnt the case how would i have progressed further than liking Freda Payne played at the youth club?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Good points, and your starting to win me over, however, where is the gateway into the scene?

With the punk movement,and after this kind of discussion, the general concensus is that bands like busted or mcfly, however cr*p, have an important place in introducing youngsters into rock music, then in turn the more interested will seek out and find (how shall i put it)more refined bands.

Where is the gateway into northern soul if not KFC or catfood ads?

I got into it cos i was force fed it from a very young age, if that wasnt the case how would i have progressed further than liking Freda Payne played at the youth club?

Yazz would be a good example. Unlike Simply Dreadful, she took every opportunity to talk about Otis Clay's original verion. Soft Cell to a leeser extent also when they released What. Not so much Tainted love. I know people who are still convinced they did it first. But when they released What, Dave Ball did lots of interviews speaking of nights in Blackwood and Porthcawl, encouraging him to make the trip to Wigan.

I wouldnt have a scooby about todays charts, but when boy bands do covers of Stop Sign, then there is an opening. And with the pop machine banging and banging the boy band thing, doing their 'Temptation Walks' while miming to covers of old soul hits, and young songwriters like Amy Winehouse sampling Northern Soul tunes, and talking about northern Soul, the opportunites are there, but where they are best received, in the music place. Not on the back of frozen prawns or tins of rotting horse meat for cats.

My force feeding you Lorraine Chandler was probably a bit much. Lucky you didnt rebel ;-) Just to add. I got into it because of guys like Conway and Caroline. you got into it because I played it at home, and guys like Bernadette and Nelmer. That is the way it works. Whether I am right or wrong, I still think this is the best way for Northern Soul. And with clubs like Steve Cato's and James Trouble's, and Matt in Leeds etc, then the word of mouth, has a venue to introduce people. Then they are on their own. Either they get it or they dont.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Yikes Mikey!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

The thought of some blokes in their 40's dressing as they did on the punk scene back in the day is much more frightening than seeing some of our lot who are in their 40's and 50's dressing in retro soulie gear!!! :thumbsup:

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Yazz would be a good example. Unlike Simply Dreadful, she took every opportunity to talk about Otis Clay's original verion. Soft Cell to a leeser extent also when they released What. Not so much Tainted love. I know people who are still convinced they did it first. But when they released What, Dave Ball did lots of interviews speaking of nights in Blackwood and Porthcawl, encouraging him to make the trip to Wigan.

I wouldnt have a scooby about todays charts, but when boy bands do covers of Stop Sign, then there is an opening. And with the pop machine banging and banging the boy band thing, doing their 'Temptation Walks' while miming to covers of old soul hits, and young songwriters like Amy Winehouse sampling Northern Soul tunes, and talking about northern Soul, the opportunites are there, but where they are best received, in the music place. Not on the back of frozen prawns or tins of rotting horse meat for cats.

My force feeding you Lorraine Chandler was probably a bit much. Lucky you didnt rebel ;-) Just to add. I got into it because of guys like Conway and Caroline. you got into it because I played it at home, and guys like Bernadette and Nelmer. That is the way it works. Whether I am right or wrong, I still think this is the best way for Northern Soul. And with clubs like Steve Cato's and James Trouble's, and Matt in Leeds etc, then the word of mouth, has a venue to introduce people. Then they are on their own. Either they get it or they dont.

Ok, youve nearly won my vote.

But there needs to be a more obvious paper trail.

When i did the record reviews for Shadow ( the best punk fanzine since sniffin glue, ok im a little biased) we reviewed new and re-released punk stuff along side various indie bands and even rave stuff, showing the comparisons of the diy ethic.

With Northern, its goes from hearing Amy Winehouse straight to Eddie Parker, thats a huge step to make. If you dont know someone who will introduce you to the scene, and numbers are dwindling, how does the youngster find it organicaly?

Social source share

Its not the elitist attitude thats a problem imo. Its not wanting any new blood thats concerning imo. Usually because "they don't know how to behave"

I don't know how to behave :thumbsup:

Part of me wants it to stay underground - but then I've always preferred the small soul-nights/allnighters where you know EVERYONE there and hear truly fabulous tunes, rather then the "fill-em to the rafters places where grown-ups wear fancy dress (and I'm not talking cheerleader/nurses/miss world/bunny-girl type outfits) and you hear records that you were bored of too many years ago to remember! These places have always had a proportion of people that either haven't been out soulin since 1975 (and have usually just split up from there wife (or is that just my experience?)) or have come along with someone they know. Not many are seen ever again.....

The other part of me wants some new pretty young boys to play with. It'll make a nice change from teasing middle-aged round men :thumbsup:

Social source share

I don't know how to behave :thumbsup:

Part of me wants it to stay underground - but then I've always preferred the small soul-nights/allnighters where you know EVERYONE there and hear truly fabulous tunes, rather then the "fill-em to the rafters places where grown-ups wear fancy dress (and I'm not talking cheerleader/nurses/miss world/bunny-girl type outfits) and you hear records that you were bored of too many years ago to remember! These places have always had a proportion of people that either haven't been out soulin since 1975 (and have usually just split up from there wife (or is that just my experience?)) or have come along with someone they know. Not many are seen ever again.....

The other part of me wants some new pretty young boys to play with. It'll make a nice change from teasing middle-aged round men :wicked:

YOU RULE !!!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Dan

this debate (interesting though it is) is about 25 years too late (though i voted yes).

firstly, i never understood the need to keep the northern scene 'underground'. yes, it made it a bit more fun and secret squirrelly but if it's really just about keeping pissheads out... well, that's what memberships, door staff and decent management are for. personally, back when i was going to nighters, i much preferred going to one with a 500-strong crowd than one with 100 through the door.

if you do want to keep it underground but also have reasonably busy events, you need new blood. the last influx of any size was the mod revivalists/scooterists like me who got into northern through those 'feeder' scenes in the early to mid 80s. you could attend all nighters with a grounding, a basic understanding of the music, a rough idea how to dance, and a group of like-minded mates. you had enough of a critical mass of new people so that you didn't feel totally out of place, and meanwhile the age difference between the younger elements and the older wasn't that great - if i was 18, there were a lot in their late 20s and early 30s and that wasn't too big a gap.

now the situation is a few kids without even the basic grounding of the scooter rally events pitch up at a local night full of people in their 40s, 50s and even 60s and (in 90% of cases, i'm sure) think they've walked into a madhouse.

if things had been more chilled 25 years ago, history might have been different - if the cliquiness and the talk of rules and the feeling that you had to be time-served hadn't excluded lots of people who decided that, frankly, they had better things to do with their lives but who might just have really got into it otherwise.

i say 'might' because the achilles heel of the northern scene has always, ironically, been its strength - people's passion for it. even if there was a load of new blood bubbling around now - say a film had come out, or the mods were reviving again - 18 year olds would not want to be dancing with people old enough to be their granddads... people who just can't give it up. compulsory retirement at 40, that's what i'd bring in :thumbsup:

anyway, whatever. the music now has a life way beyond a few WMCs in the north of england and always will have, and all of us on here and beyond have played our part, however small, in making that happen. that's something we can all be proud of i think.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

this debate (interesting though it is) is about 25 years too late (though i voted yes).

firstly, i never understood the need to keep the northern scene 'underground'. yes, it made it a bit more fun and secret squirrelly but if it's really just about keeping pissheads out... well, that's what memberships, door staff and decent management are for. personally, back when i was going to nighters, i much preferred going to one with a 500-strong crowd than one with 100 through the door.

if you do want to keep it underground but also have reasonably busy events, you need new blood. the last influx of any size was the mod revivalists/scooterists like me who got into northern through those 'feeder' scenes in the early to mid 80s. you could attend all nighters with a grounding, a basic understanding of the music, a rough idea how to dance, and a group of like-minded mates. you had enough of a critical mass of new people so that you didn't feel totally out of place, and meanwhile the age difference between the younger elements and the older wasn't that great - if i was 18, there were a lot in their late 20s and early 30s and that wasn't too big a gap.

now the situation is a few kids without even the basic grounding of the scooter rally events pitch up at a local night full of people in their 40s, 50s and even 60s and (in 90% of cases, i'm sure) think they've walked into a madhouse.

if things had been more chilled 25 years ago, history might have been different - if the cliquiness and the talk of rules and the feeling that you had to be time-served hadn't excluded lots of people who decided that, frankly, they had better things to do with their lives but who might just have really got into it otherwise.

i say 'might' because the achilles heel of the northern scene has always, ironically, been its strength - people's passion for it. even if there was a load of new blood bubbling around now - say a film had come out, or the mods were reviving again - 18 year olds would not want to be dancing with people old enough to be their granddads... people who just can't give it up. compulsory retirement at 40, that's what i'd bring in :wicked:

anyway, whatever. the music now has a life way beyond a few WMCs in the north of england and always will have, and all of us on here and beyond have played our part, however small, in making that happen. that's something we can all be proud of i think.

Nicely put & very true that Dan :thumbsup:

A sound file of 'Rule Brittania' in amongst the last few lines would have been good though :wicked: & perhaps a pic of Al Murray. :thumbsup:

Social source share

And your knowledge of 'the point' is?

My understanding of "the point" is this:

Attendances are falling and the fall is accelerating. This is accentuated by the new events which have started in the last couple of years for no better reason than everybody wants to promote/DJ, thus spreading the decreasing number of punters ever more thinly.

The only way to halt this decline so that there are still a few venues to attend in 5-10 years time is to attract "new blood".

If mainstream publicity does this, all well and good. The only obstacles to overcome then are the silly elitism, obsession with etiquette etc, and general intolerance bordering on hostility that many display to anybody who has not served the apprenticeship.

People like the Wheel veteran Steve described are a major deterrent, and unfortunately all too familiar.

Social source share

My understanding of "the point" is this:

Attendances are falling and the fall is accelerating. This is accentuated by the new events which have started in the last couple of years for no better reason than everybody wants to promote/DJ, thus spreading the decreasing number of punters ever more thinly.

The only way to halt this decline so that there are still a few venues to attend in 5-10 years time is to attract "new blood".

If mainstream publicity does this, all well and good. The only obstacles to overcome then are the silly elitism, obsession with etiquette etc, and general intolerance bordering on hostility that many display to anybody who has not served the apprenticeship.

People like the Wheel veteran Steve described are a major deterrent, and unfortunately all too familiar.

I agree with what you say. Though in fairness that is not the point I was making.

At the end of the day (imo) rare soul music is special enough that it does not need to be sold to anyone via the mainstream media. As already it's been said it's there to be discovered for those that can be bothered to discover it. :thumbsup:

Social source share

The original question involved the mainstream media and as most people have said, they tend to represent things in a way that suits them. Unless it is done by someone who has some repect and knowledge for the music and the scene generally, the mainstream media will always portray the scene badly.

Whilst we were running These Old Shoes in London, the BBC contacted me (my mobile no was on the flyers) and said they were interested in filming the club. Initially I thought "Thats great!" but then I decided to be cautious. I asked them why and they told me they were doing a short film on "Northern Soul in Strange Places" - evidently next to Tower Bridge counted as strange. I thought that it would be a silly piece that might get shown repeatedly and we could end up as laughing stocks so I said that I was reluctant to have the club filmed.

The BBC rep then said "So is it just a load of old blokes dancing on their own to crap music then?"

This took me aback a bit so I said "Yes, why would you want to film that?" and she put the phone down.

Odd really, but it maybe illustrates the mainstream media's attitude.

I'm still a no. That's a mainstream media no not an elitist no or a don't want anything to change no.

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

Guest Baz

Of course, everybody with that attitude started of as a knowledgeable fully aware "soulie" once they discovered the scene. Never a div, they knew exactly how it worked from day one. What b*ll*cks.

Record prices are dropping, attendances seem to be falling, and the only concern is somebody on the dance floor with a bottle of beer in their hand.

Tw*t

Right on the money Steve :thumbsup:

Soulie pissed up and making a tw*t out themselfs - Oh its ok they've been on the scene for years and went to the tourch

Outsider pissed up having fun - How very very dare they infiltrate our scene and make a mokery of our secret society, im not having this im off to bolock the hell out of them and tell all my other friends to scawn at them :D

Social source share

I haven't seen anyone saying they resent newcomers to the scene. But all the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the ns martyrs every time this topic comes up is a little tiresome.

When Wigan shut a lot of people thought that was it for the northern soul scene. How many of them thought it would be good to align the scene with fast food outlets for example to spread the word and prevent it's demise. Erm, none maybe?

Social source share

Guest Bogue

I haven't seen anyone saying they resent newcomers to the scene. But all the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the ns martyrs every time this topic comes up is a little tiresome.

When Wigan shut a lot of people thought that was it for the northern soul scene. How many of them thought it would be good to align the scene with fast food outlets for example to spread the word and prevent it's demise. Erm, none maybe?

Can't remember anyone ever asking if it would be good to align the scene with fast food outlets :thumbsup: Simsy you have gnashed your teeth straight up through your brain :D

Seeing as you have brought the subject up, what is so wrong about NS music appearing in adverts anyway ? Why does it suddenly turn a good tune into something that shouldn't be touched with a barge pole ? Just interested like :D

Social source share

Can't remember anyone ever asking if it would be good to align the scene with fast food outlets :thumbsup:

I can.

Seeing as you have brought the subject up, what is so wrong about NS music appearing in adverts anyway ? Why does it suddenly turn a good tune into something that shouldn't be touched with a barge pole ? Just interested like :D

One of the first things discussed on here when I joined. Have a looksee if your curious (page 7 my topics)

Social source share

Guest Baz

Does go on mate, not loads (but then again we dont get loads of newcomers either :thumbsup: ) i find the most welcome places to be more the nighter scene, for newcomers just popping in off the off chance any how.

Social source share

Does go on mate, not loads (but then again we dont get loads of newcomers either :thumbsup: ) i find the most welcome places to be more the nighter scene, for newcomers just popping in off the off chance any how.

I'd go along with that. I've been to breakfast with newcomers after their first all nighter and listened to what a great time they've had. I should say over and over again that newcomers are a good thing. My only concern was over commercialization would cheapen the scene somewhat and in turn it would cease to be special.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Why have you got Rolf Harris for a avatar,Simhead? :D

:lol::lol:

Just had a look at the first page Simsy & it seems you were a minority of 1 back in 2005 too :D Will have a look at the other pages when i get time, off to chew me nails over the footy now :thumbsup:

Social source share

NS will always be misrepresented in mainstream media as theres not a person (or persons) on the planet that could do a presentation that wouldn't be the catalyst for a mega debate on here on where they got it wrong/right!

Personally i voted 'don't care' cos i don't care what the state of the scene will be when i'm not around! why should i? its a hobby/pastime not a religion!

Things are born,grow then die, why should NS be any different? And if it dies before me then i shall have to find somethin else to spend rediculous amounts of money/time on!

In the meantime i shall carry on having a jolly good time while it lasts!

Pete

Social source share

Guest Baz

I'd go along with that. I've been to breakfast with newcomers after their first all nighter and listened to what a great time they've had. I should say over and over again that newcomers are a good thing. My only concern was over commercialization would cheapen the scene somewhat and in turn it would cease to be special.

Whole hartedly agree mate, but the media is doing the very job for us any way, keeping over commercialization way that is, from the constant rubbish about the scene they push out, with frank Wilson and the like as "the most essential northern soul"

Took a mate along to a night last friday, i went up the pub first and said im off in a taxi over to wellingborough, he said ah drop me off in town, i said sod it come with me, he loved it i did explain its not really a 'hardcore' night so you will hear some rubbish, he explained to me i know what you mean now some of the tunes sound more 'dark' than others to which he was talking Lou Pride came on, he was gobsmacked by it! i said this is the sort of energitic sound you get at most nighters, said i would take him to 100 club or Soul Revs down in london where its really full on, said he cant wait!

My whole point is you want to attract people like that you need the right sound! and giving them things like frank f**** wilson through the media is soooooooo wrong!

Social source share

Just had a look at the first page Simsy & it seems you were a minority of 1 back in 2005 too :lol: Will have a look at the other pages when i get time, off to chew me nails over the footy now :thumbsup:

2, you forgot about Byrney with your hurried reading. Most of the stuff coming the other way was from that Bladeforlife bleeder, thank fekc he ain't around anymore.. :lol:

ps, I did say Kaka would score first. :D

Social source share

Whole hartedly agree mate, but the media is doing the very job for us any way, keeping over commercialization way that is, from the constant rubbish about the scene they push out, with frank Wilson and the like as "the most essential northern soul"

Took a mate along to a night last friday, i went up the pub first and said im off in a taxi over to wellingborough, he said ah drop me off in town, i said sod it come with me, he loved it i did explain its not really a 'hardcore' night so you will hear some rubbish, he explained to me i know what you mean now some of the tunes sound more 'dark' than others to which he was talking Lou Pride came on, he was gobsmacked by it! i said this is the sort of energitic sound you get at most nighters, said i would take him to 100 club or Soul Revs down in london where its really full on, said he cant wait!

My whole point is you want to attract people like that you need the right sound! and giving them things like frank f**** wilson through the media is soooooooo wrong!

Wonder what Kenny Burrell thought first time he heard his 15k sound plugging a chicken ringer zinger stinger?

Agree with all you say mate. :thumbsup: Tell me Baz, you're a young (ish) man, how did you get into it?

Social source share

Guest Baz

Wonder what Kenny Burrell thought first time he heard his 15k sound plugging a chicken ringer zinger stinger?

Agree with all you say mate. :thumbsup: Tell me Baz, you're a young (ish) man, how did you get into it?

loved 60's soul and motown, and soul and funk 70's - 80's caister sounds ect, then a guy at work started playing tapes, and made me dig deeper, hence im here today, god it only seems like yesterday, but that was nearly 8 years ago now

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

THE RULES OF NORTHERN SOUL

1. Must be able to stay out all night every Saturday

2. Must be able to dance

3. Must blow the family income on original vinyl

4. Must dislike The Snake

5. Must spend at least ten hours per week on this forum

6. Must be able to recall which artist did which song on which label whenever questioned

7. Must have all original American vinyl

8. Must never converse with non soulies that wander in

9. Must never finish a conversation at a soul night; "Gotta go an dance ta thisn'"

10. Must take all matters Northern Soul related totally seriously

Magoo :thumbsup:

Social source share

2. Must be able to dance

6. Must be able to recall which artist did which song on which label whenever questioned

9. Must never finish a conversation at a soul night; "Gotta go an dance ta thisn'"

Failure to adhere to ANY of the above rules will result in you being branded for life as a HANDBAGGER!

Social source share

Guest Rowly

2. Must be able to dance

That's about right n'all fella!

Social source share

Guest nubes

loved 60's soul and motown, and soul and funk 70's - 80's caister sounds ect, then a guy at work started playing tapes, and made me dig deeper, hence im here today, god it only seems like yesterday, but that was nearly 8 years ago now

Was your parents into soul and Funk Baz???....they would be around my age i believe.....just wondering how a youngster got into the more retro sounds....i don't mean that last remark rudely so please don't take offence...just curious that's all...Delxx

Social source share