Single Release Most Covered Title

Guest moggy

Guest moggy

Just read that Bobby Herb/Hebb thread, unbeleivable how many artists had covered this record

Sort of got me thinking :thumbsup:

Any one know, what is the most covered record title that has been released on single, and i mean of the same lyrical content, not just the same title :D

for instance

Its all in the game

Eddie Holman

Four Tops

Cliff Richard & a few more i would imagine

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Rich Walker

Agree with Mace,

"It is widely believed that "Summertime" vies with the Beatles "Yesterday" as one of the most often covered songs in popular music, with an estimated 2,600 different versions recorded. However, a far greater number of recordings of the former exist: as of April 26, 2007 - 13.07 gmt, an international group of collectors of recordings of Summertime known as "The Summertime Connection," knows of at least 18,246 public performances, of which 12,390 have been recorded. Of those, the group has 7,506 full recordings and about 1,100 samples and incomplete recordings in its collection."

Quote from Wikipedia.

Cheers,

Rich.

Social source share

Guest moggy

Agree with Mace,

"It is widely believed that "Summertime" vies with the Beatles "Yesterday" as one of the most often covered songs in popular music, with an estimated 2,600 different versions recorded. However, a far greater number of recordings of the former exist: as of April 26, 2007 - 13.07 gmt, an international group of collectors of recordings of Summertime known as "The Summertime Connection," knows of at least 18,246 public performances, of which 12,390 have been recorded. Of those, the group has 7,506 full recordings and about 1,100 samples and incomplete recordings in its collection."

Quote from Wikipedia.

Cheers,

Rich/Mace
that figure must include LP tracks, what I am trying to get at, is charted single releases, too be honest I cannot think of any one else apart from the Beatles who have released Yesterday on a single, heard LP covers but as for singles rolleyes.gif
Social source share

Wasn't sure if it was a general music query, or one with soul connections.

'Summertime' and 'Fever' have plenty of 45 released covers by soul/blues artists as well as pop artists so I'm sticking with my choices.

Has 'My way' actually been released by many different artists on 45 release?

Social source share

Guest moggy

Wasn't sure if it was a general music query, or one with soul connections.
'Summertime' and 'Fever' have plenty of 45 released covers by soul/blues artists as well as pop artists so I'm sticking with my choices.
Has 'My way' actually been released by many different artists on 45 release?

Gotta be honest apart from Frank Sinatra and Sid Vicious who else has had this chart on single release, and it is a general music query Mace
some artists to suggested titles would be good, then we can decide if weve heard that version or not.
Tie a yellow ribbon biggrin.gif Dawn & who else !
Social source share

Gotta be honest apart from Frank Sinatra and Sid Vicious who else has had this chart on single release, and it is a general music query Mace
some artists to suggested titles would be good, then we can decide if weve heard that version or not.
Tie a yellow ribbon thumbsup.gif Dawn & who else !

Tony Orlando whistling.gif
Social source share

Guest BillBrewer

In the 1970's I bought a pack of imports from Contempo in London (advertised in Blues & Soul) and it inluded a Gospel-ish version of My Way - "His Way" by Moms Mabley (?)

Edited by BillBrewer
Social source share

Its all in the game

"It's All In The Game" has been covered hundreds of times. My favourite versions are by the Four Tops (did Levi Stubbs have the ultimate heartbreaker voice of his time?) and Van Morrison.

And it's interesting to note that this amazing song is almost 100 years old - the lyrics were added in 1951 to "Melody In A Major" which was composed in 1911.

Every time I listen to this song (which is very often) I realise that most of today's composers are nothing but great pretenders.

And he'll kiss your lips, and caress your waiting fingertips

And your heart will fly away...

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Ain't no big thing must be one of the most covered soul songs, I know of around 30 issued versions & a few unissued ones.

There's a fair few of Help Yourself as well, J&B Purify, Jimmy James, can't think of any more at the moment.

Social source share

Agree with Mace,

Quote from Wikipedia.

Blimey that makes us Soul collectors look positively normal :D people at all nighters moan about a record being repeated more than once in a night... I bet the 'Summertime Connection ' get togethers are a right bundle of fun :thumbsup::ohmy:

Mike

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert