Does A Dj Own 'djing Rights' Of A Record?

Guest James Trouble

If you look in his sales box he's always more expensive than anyone else anyway

Agree entirely Pete. However the irony is he does get those prices at places such as Prestatyn, Yarmouth and other venues dotted around.

Tis' the old adage would you buy an identical shirt at £20 in the shop or do you pay £50 from a different shop. ?

As you, myself and countless other people are aware its the bizarre shenanigans of the soul collectors market.

Social source share

• Replies 218
  • Views 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

There are some interesting points here, although I personalyl don't agree.

But maybe it is like copyrights and inventors. You're basically saying to an inventor, well I'm going to copy you, if you are so good make a new invention. Like Dyson hoovers, if anyone could make a Dyson hoover, which I believe are arguably the best, then Dyson would be out of business. It would be like if the government said to him, "sorry mr dyson, but i think anyone should be able to copy your vacuum, if you are so good you'd best invent a better one so the economy can move forward"

So James what you are saying is if I was the first person to by a Dyson vacuum (clearly a Dyson can't be a Hoover mellow.gif ) and I used it a lot and tell people how good it is thereby encouraging them to buy one and perhaps due to demand increasing the price in the process. They can buy it but are not allowed to use it. We are not the inventors of the 45's we play the artists are. With the greatest of respect your analogy is b****cks. :lol:

Who keeps a register of who is associated with what anyway?

Social source share

Pete made the point earlier that at one time a 'Big' record was played by every decent DJ in the country that could get hold of it.

That's how a lot of latter day 'classics' got to become Massive!

What's the score nowadays?

DJ's that are somehow bigger than the records themselves?

Nobody else can play 'MY' tunes.

It's Ballocks.

Total and utter Ballocks.

If you've got records as good as those, or the same as those, in my box then good luck to you. You're a tasty guy.

Get em played. Part of a DJ's job is promotion isn't it?

Carvers / Boots / CD's ... different question... but for pity's sake it's only an 'exclusive' if you've got the only copy.

If another turns up... cest la vie!

Two copies = twice the promotion = Bigger records... and so on and so forth.

Football!

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Pete made the point earlier that at one time a 'Big' record was played by every decent DJ in the country that could get hold of it.

It's Ballocks.

If you've got records as good as those, or the same as those, in my box then good luck to you. You're a tasty guy.

Get em played. Part of a DJ's job is promotion isn't it?

Carvers / Boots / CD's ... different question... but for pity's sake it's only an 'exclusive' if you've got the only copy.

If another turns up... cest la vie!

Two copies = twice the promotion = Bigger records... and so on and so forth.

Football!

:lol:

Sean

Most definitely agree with everything Sean says. ( ohmy.gif )

Social source share

Im with Sean and Pete S on this. Apart from "big" djs playing boots, and attempting to pass them off as just another rare original in their set I assume, the whole thing is ridiculous.

As for Johnny Howard/Butch connection there isn't one except in JT's rather fervid and troubled imagination.

As I think Pete pointed out at one time all djs played roughly the same set. How many of these djs discovered the records they play anyway. Note; buying them for lots of money offa someone else is NOT finding your own 45s.

ROD

Social source share

Im with Sean and Pete S on this. Apart from "big" djs playing boots, and attempting to pass them off as just another rare original in their set I assume, the whole thing is ridiculous.

As for Johnny Howard/Butch connection there isn't one except in JT's rather fervid and troubled imagination.

As I think Pete pointed out at one time all djs played roughly the same set. How many of these djs discovered the records they play anyway. Note; buying them for lots of money offa someone else is NOT finding your own 45s.

ROD

I was a bit slow off the mark there...but beautiful Rod as ever spot on mate.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

Sean

It's all about the "DJ" now. Records don't matter any more. Nor CDs. Just show up with your laptop full of crappy quality MP3s and Serato and show how well you can "program" your set while using fake vinyl on the turntables. No one cares about sound quality or if you can't cue a record, just play something that thumps at 4/4 and the crowd will love it.

So now it puzzles people when I say I DJ with records and really mean it when I say it's a Jamaican music night...

Social source share

Guest Trevski

ROD

:lol: True. If I find a copy of Elipsis, or a Belita Woods "Foolish girl" C/U I will play it, regardless. If you have a copy then its fair game to play it, no matter who 'discovered' it. Great tunes deserve to be played by whoever CAN play them, giving the punters more chance of hearing them. The days of 'big sounds' being broken, and within weeks everyone on the scene knows them are gone. So-called big name DJ's keeping things to themselves only serves to deprive people of hearing them more. Butch has been playing his 'Jean Carter' for years and there are still punters who have'nt heard it.

Now I know this is a one off, but had it been spun at say, Wigan, the whole country would know it within a month! As for DJ's playing carvers cuts of megga rarities like Mello Souls, not on, in my book. I could do that, and play most of Butch's cover ups too, but I wont! Down to personal integrity, more than anything. If you ain't got it, then play something you have got, for christ sakes! I don't mind carvers cuts of album tracks, as long as you have the album. Personal choice, but I have just had a Rhetta Hughes done, 'cos it fits in me box, and saves me carying the album, which is my prefrence.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

It's Ballocks.

Sean

Sean, Pete, Trevski, Rod i couldn't agree more. :lol:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

I,m with Pete on this virtually every dj worth his salt was playing the same tune years ago as it was the norm then plus it was the punters on the dancefloor that dictated what was a biggie even if it was a £5 piece of vinyl where as nowadays you have magazines and internet saying that mr x has paid xx amount of £££s for some tune or other so its gotta be the best since sliced bread was invented but nobody else can have a slice -- bull.

I reckon its the dancefloor that makes a record big not a name plus if more people took notice of some of the unkown djs who support the big names then they would probably find its not just the big boys who have some cracking tunes in their box.

cheers Ruffsounds

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Well after reading all that Bullsh#t,has anybody got the balls to name and shame this big name dj or are you all just going to sit and stir it up.

Didn't read it too clearly then Wally! I think the name has been revealed, early in the thread, If you read carefully, and Mr Pikeys Dogs last post, spells it out pretty clearly I'd say.

Social source share

Guest barnsey

Me too.

Last time I did it was to see if the rumours about Guy Hennigan playing Vinyl Carvers of all the big tunes was true..... :lol:

guy openly admitted this on searlings show years ago .he said he could,nt afford to keep all the big stuff and have spare cash to buy new stuff to play .to be honest would sooner have that than only have heard half the stuff he played down to lack of cash and not the passion to break another top tune

Social source share

Always makes me smile agree entirely.

Was spinning Ronnie McNeir ' Good Side Of Your Love' way back in early 80s. Other djs gave it many spins and it was a well respected 45 around £50/ £75 single to purchase.

Flip circa 2005 ' Oh Butch has that R Mcneir its rare .. £400/ £500'

Why do prices escalate beyond all sense when certain Djs program tracks that they havnt actually discovered despite what ' those in the so called know state '.

Unfortunately some collectors just seem to follow .

I think it was Derek Pearson who said in Shades ' dead fish go with the flow'. :lol:

But it's also a GREAT record that mopst certainly hasn't had it's day yet.

Social source share

He was one of us in the early 80s yes....but my point is merely play McNeir now and at least half the punters don't know it. AND it sounds really good again :lol:

Yeah I do remember Glyn , he looked like Robin S thumbsup.gif

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

It's posts like that that can make soul-source such a frustrating place to read at times. Quite plainly it is clear that I said "it is obviously a bit of an oldie" but there is also a connection with Butch and the record over recent times. And I think it is a fair example to use in this thread to illustrate an idea that most people seem to find interesting. And obviously it is an interesting thread going by the replys, some of them very thoughtful.

I think you've been a bit of a wallie with that post to be honest and it's replys like that that make me feel like it was a waste of time starting an interesting topic. But being a thick skinned type I won't take it to heart.

Ok, the thing that kicked of the idea behind this thread is that recently I had a record removed from the deck by another DJ and I was told that the record was his, and he was playing it not me. I was shocked to be honest. I still am, especially concidering that I am very aware of playing unique sets that have as little in common with other DJs as possible. But that is the reason for this topic. And I think it is quite interesting. I've kind of laughed it off now and the person in question appologised that night so no harm done. But at the time I was angry, and am surprised I kept my temper. But it is an interesting topic, how far should the respect to a DJ for what he has done or is doing to the exposure and popularity of a record be taken?

Feverish imagination or not, this does go on.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

For example, something like Johnny Howard. Of course a bit of an oldie. But I think most people on the scene concider it a bit of a Butch play, I think most concider him to be responsible for it becoming a floor packer over recent years....

So Butch is "associated with" the playing/reviving of Johnny Howard"?. Big deal!

Imagine if Richard Searling wanted to play Johnny Howard on the same night? (it WAS a Va-Va sound after all!) To declare that ANYONE somehow "owns the right" to spin particular classic oldies is frankly barmy! - besides, "reviving" something like Johnny Howard is hardly an act of genius is it? :lol:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

ITS AN INTERESTING THREAD THIS,BUT TO BE HONEST IT HITS AT ONE OF THE REASONS WHY I AM MORE TURNED OFF THE NORTHERN SCENE THAT TURNED ON AND THAT IS EGO. LOADS OF DJS CAN PLAY INNOVATIVE LEFTFIELD SETS AND NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ,THEN A BIG DJ PLAYS THE MELLOW SOULS AND ALLS ROSEY IN THE GARDEN ,WELL WHAT A BUCH OF INSULAR THINKING FOOLS WE CAN ALL BE.

HAD AN INTERSTING CONVERSATION WITH CHALKY ABOUT BAGAGE ON THE UK NORTHERN SOUL SCENE AGES AGO AT THE WILTON,AS HE EXPLAINED HOW FRESH IT WAS TO DJ ELSWHERE IN EUROPE [WITH NO BAGGAGE].

AS A SCENE IN THIS COUNTRY WE FEEL THE NEED TO LOOK FOR HEROS OR DEMI GODS BECAUSE THERE ARE SEEN TO OWN THE RARE QUALITY NORTHEN TUNES [WHO REALLY GIVES A SHIT]? IN THAT ONE MOMMENT OF PURE BLISS WHEN I RELAX ON A NIGHT WITH MY DEEP SOUL BOX OF £5 QUID TUNES DO YOU THINK I CARE/NOT AT ALL .

NO ONE OWNS THIS MUSIC APART FROM THE GENIUS OF THE ARTISTES WHO NURTURED IT ,AND NO DJ IS BETTER THAN ANYONE BECAUSE HE OR SHE HAS THE FORSIGHT TO HAVE A NUMBER OF TUNES NO ONE ELSE HAS.FOR EVERY BIG TUNE ON THE NORTHERN SCENE THERE IS A THOUSHAND PLUS SOUNDS OF ABSOLUTE QUALITY,NO ONE CARES ABOUT.

WE HAD DEBATES LIKE THIS AT WIGAN ,ALWAYS INTERESTING AND AS FOR THE BIG NAME DJ ETC WHO HAS /HAS NOT BEEN NAMED POWER TO YOU ,YOU INVIGORATED A SCENE WHEN IT WAS NEEDED MOST AND YOU HAVE MY COMPLETE AND UTTER RESPECT.

BAZ A.

Edited by baz atkinson
Social source share

It's posts like that that can make soul-source such a frustrating place to read at times. Quite plainly it is clear that I said "it is obviously a bit of an oldie" but there is also a connection with Butch and the record over recent times. And I think it is a fair example to use in this thread to illustrate an idea that most people seem to find interesting. And obviously it is an interesting thread going by the replys, some of them very thoughtful.

James,hang on to your hat, you've kick started whats been a very quiet week or so on SS and it's ben a good topic with some excellent replies...and we've all kept our tempers too. Great thread

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Ok, the thing that kicked of the idea behind this thread is that recently I had a record removed from the deck by another DJ and I was told that the record was his, and he was playing it not me. I was shocked to be honest. I still am, especially concidering that I am very aware of playing unique sets that have as little in common with other DJs as possible. But that is the reason for this topic.

I agree with Pete, great thread James.

Any chance of naming the diva who thinks he's bigger than the music? Outragous thing to do in my opinion :angry:

Social source share

Is there ever a case for another DJ to remove an original record from the deck while another DJ is DJing with it?

Absolutely NOT!! apart from making the DJ taking it off look like a dick - the only losers are the people dancing to it!!

apart from that i do agree with what JT is tring to say..

I too associate Johnny Howard with Butch - cos he is the first dj i remember playing it (didnt go to wigan etc etc ) (i may well have heard it before but that is when it stuck in my mind) - but i am not coming from a 'what is butch(or other big dj) playing' - but more from a 'local' soul nite stance...

.. i have Dj'd at do's and other Dj's have asked me if i was going to play 'such and such' a record cos if i dont they will...and i have been told that 'i wont play my bootleg/dub of whatever record cos i know you've got the original' - respect in both cases cos they know i have been playing a record around, no matter what format, before them...

And i agree with the comment about some Dj's turning up just for their spot - i did a weekender last year and later on a 'big' dj played two 'in' records in exactly the same order that i had played a few hours earlier - someone told him and did he give a shit - of course not - and i still would have played them had he been in the room at the time cos i dont associate those 2 records with him. But I did ask him the nite beofre if it was ok for me to play a record the next day that i did associate with him and he said fill ya boots, it deserves to be heard...

and takling of Honey and the Bees...i DJ'd at the same allniter as JT last month and we both got it in our box - but i know that it is on James' playlist and he has been playing it longer than me, so i wouldnt play it without asking him first if he was going to play it (as it happens JT was on before me cos he's shite :lol: so i didnt have to ask the question...)

All i am trying to say is there should be respect for other Dj's on at the same nite as you - only of course if you know what they've got.

P.S - refering to said DJ playing a dub of Mello Souls - i expect that sort of thing at 'local' do's and live with it - i do not expect it from 'big' dj's at those sort of nites - it doenst matter who they are or how reverd thay are.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

So Butch is "associated with" the playing/reviving of Johnny Howard"?. Big deal!

Imagine if Richard Searling wanted to play Johnny Howard on the same night? (it WAS a Va-Va sound after all!) To declare that ANYONE somehow "owns the right" to spin particular classic oldies is frankly barmy! - besides, "reviving" something like Johnny Howard is hardly an act of genius is it? :lol:

I agree as it happens. but perhaps you should concider the context that the example is used in before mocking it.someone touched on this point, I think it was baz, what about if a dj who made a record popular on the scene decided to sell the tune carry on playing it off a dub plate and use the money to buy a new tune? how would people feel about that? does a dj have a right to play a record even if they don't own it but used to own it and were responsible for its popularity? and if they do have some sort of right to do that is it the same right they have to play the record and other DJs to respect that right by not playing the record.it is a ridiculous idea really, or is it?

Social source share

Absolutely NOT!! apart from making the DJ taking it off look like a dick - the only losers are the people dancing to it!!

apart from that i do agree with what JT is tring to say..

I too associate Johnny Howard with Butch - cos he is the first dj i remember playing it (didnt go to wigan etc etc ) (i may well have heard it before but that is when it stuck in my mind) - but i am not coming from a 'what is butch(or other big dj) playing' - but more from a 'local' soul nite stance...

.. i have Dj'd at do's and other Dj's have asked me if i was going to play 'such and such' a record cos if i dont they will...and i have been told that 'i wont play my bootleg/dub of whatever record cos i know you've got the original' - respect in both cases cos they know i have been playing a record around, no matter what format, before them...

And i agree with the comment about some Dj's turning up just for their spot - i did a weekender last year and later on a 'big' dj played two 'in' records in exactly the same order that i had played a few hours earlier - someone told him and did he give a shit - of course not - and i still would have played them had he been in the room at the time cos i dont associate those 2 records with him. But I did ask him the nite beofre if it was ok for me to play a record the next day that i did associate with him and he said fill ya boots, it deserves to be heard...

and takling of Honey and the Bees...i DJ'd at the same allniter as JT last month and we both got it in our box - but i know that it is on James' playlist and he has been playing it longer than me, so i wouldnt play it without asking him first if he was going to play it (as it happens JT was on before me cos he's shite :lol: so i didnt have to ask the question...)

All i am trying to say is there should be respect for other Dj's on at the same nite as you - only of course if you know what they've got.

P.S - refering to said DJ playing a dub of Mello Souls - i expect that sort of thing at 'local' do's and live with it - i do not expect it from 'big' dj's at those sort of nites - it doenst matter who they are or how reverd thay are.

spot on!!!!!

Social source share

No James I retract nothing. You made a statement which Mel has just highlighted. I assume that is what you imagine to be the case.

It IS an oldie. What's a "bit of an oldie"?. Most people I know wouldn't associate it with Butch as their connection with Northern goes back a fair way and as for floorpacker it was in it's day so why would it be any different now played in the right spot. I 've heard it out on occassions since it's heyday long before Butch re-activated it and it filled the floor along with myriads of other popular oldies.

As for this deference and hierarchy you've conjured up then you're only as good as your last spot.

Taking your record off the deck is going too far obviously but then that's what happens when deference goes too far, and the dj feels he's bigger than the music. There's plenty of big name dj's who are no longer around or respected.

ROD

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I personally think this is just the worst practice ever, there seems to always be at least one person at a gig who comes up and glares at a record which is on the deck like they have some right to check it, makes my blood boil. :lol:

Seen it happen to Jo when she played Stewart Ames, she actually had to hold the record up after it finished to show the guy it had King For A Day on the other side. I played Yvonne Baker - You Didn't Say A Word out somewhere once and some guy came and stood and watched it go round and round for about a minute.

I eventually said sarcastically "It's Yvonne Baker, mate"

"I know that" he says, all indignant "I just wanted to see if it was a proper one"

So I said "Sorry, I didn't notice your armband"

He had no idea what I was talking about.

Now I'm only a small time wanabee DJ so I suppose people think they have some right to check my records but does anyone ever do it to the big names?

Why do you assume the worst though? Perhaps some people haven't actually SEEN an original label copy of a particular record you're playing, and just want a look at it? Where's the harm in that? That's how most of us got to see the classics close up for the first time isn't it?

Social source share

I think you've been a bit of a wallie with that post to be honest and it's replys like that that make me feel like it was a waste of time starting an interesting topic. But being a thick skinned type I won't take it to heart.

Ok, the thing that kicked of the idea behind this thread is that recently I had a record removed from the deck by another DJ and I was told that the record was his, and he was playing it not me. I was shocked to be honest. I still am, especially concidering that I am very aware of playing unique sets that have as little in common with other DJs as possible. But that is the reason for this topic. And I think it is quite interesting. I've kind of laughed it off now and the person in question appologised that night so no harm done. But at the time I was angry, and am surprised I kept my temper. But it is an interesting topic, how far should the respect to a DJ for what he has done or is doing to the exposure and popularity of a record be taken?

Feverish imagination or not, this does go on.

There's no doubt that this is an interesting topic James, so thanks for starting it.

However it raises questions which slightly puzzle and perplex me.

The Johnny Howard case study is particularly illuminating. In the early 80s it seemed that every record box I looked through had a copy of this disc for no more than a couple of quid. Personally I've always preferred the Artistics version, but that's beside the point. If Butch was indeed responsible for 'resurrecting' this record then fair play - it shows that he has the power to take a relatively common sound and elevate it to a status that it's relative ubiquity probably doesn't deserve.

What does this say about the scene though?

In the case of the DJ who removed your record - that's actually shocking. Name and shame, I say. I don't think I'd have been able to show the same restraint you did. I'm sure I and many others would love to know what makes him (or her) believe they have the sole Djing 'ownership' over a particular record made by SOMEBODY ELSE.

Because at the end of the day that's all it is really - whether at a high level or low level - showcasing sublime examples of Black American Music made by talented people. We're only the custodians of some of the best music ever made. We'd do well to remember that.

Social source share

I missed that bit about Honey&Bees "Dynamite EXploded" Andy Dyson or JT's 45. I thought I'd heard that at Wigan. It's on my wants list from around that time anyway.

Are you having a laugh?

ROD

You did hear it at Wigan Rod and wait for it - it was played exclusively by - Russ Winstanley

Social source share

I missed that bit about Honey&Bees "Dynamite EXploded" Andy Dyson or JT's 45. I thought I'd heard that at Wigan. It's on my wants list from around that time anyway.

Are you having a laugh?

ROD

shit, i thought it was me first... :thumbsup:

point i was making Rod is to know and repect what the other DJ's on the same nite as you are playing out - i havent got a clue who played what record first on the scene - but locally i do know what dj is playing 'newer' stuff out before me...and if i know that they've been playing something before me i would ask them (unless it was a stone oldie,if you know what i mean) - well iwouldnt ask to be honest i wouldnt play it at all...too many records around to bother asking...

Social source share

Hi JT,

If someone removed a 45 from your deck whilst it was actually playing. (I'm not too sure that actually happened though), under the pretence that it was "their" record then you have only one course of action open to you.

Slap 'em and slap 'em HARD! :thumbsup:

Using that ridiculous claim as a guideline I would venture 90% of Northern "DJs" would have to leave their records at home as most of them were discovered by John Anderson! wink.gif

Respect amongst collectors is the one strand of the Rare Soul scene that has kept me "involved" for 30 years. Once you enter the realm of the "DJ" however, then for some it becomes a whole different animal I'm afraid.

As for asking permission to play certain records......that's not respect. That's just arse lickin'. :D

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Dave, honestly mate, if you've got it on original you have to ask no one's permission to play it.

Getting to a venue and checking out what's been played before you go on is completely different of course. That's a courtesy you owe to the paying crowd and the promoter, and you can then avoid too much duplication.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

what about if a dj who made a record popular on the scene decided to sell the tune carry on playing it off a dub plate and use the money to buy a new tune? how would people feel about that? does a dj have a right to play a record even if they don't own it but used to own it and were responsible for its popularity?

Something I've been considering myself lately.

I have a handful of unreleased acetates that I've been playing in the R&B rooms for a while, having had them cut onto VCs to preserve the acetate.

I recently considered selling a couple of them on, to turn over a bit of cash to invest in new stuff.

If I sell them on, do I give up the right to play the 'carvers' out?

I've already sold one on the understanding that I would never play it where the purchaser is DJ'ing (I offered, as a matter of courtesy) - so is it a case of double the exposure for the owner, or lack of exclusivity?

Difficult one for me as I definately lean towards OVO

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

shit, i thought it was me first... tongue.gif

point i was making Rod is to know and repect what the other DJ's on the same nite as you are playing out - i havent got a clue who played what record first on the scene - but locally i do know what dj is playing 'newer' stuff out before me...and if i know that they've been playing something before me i would ask them (unless it was a stone oldie,if you know what i mean) - well iwouldnt ask to be honest i wouldnt play it at all...too many records around to bother asking...

in that case Dave, can i play the Footsie on Saturday :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ok, personally from a DJ perspective if i'm kindly asked to play a few tunes at a venue then i go out with the Soul (sorry) intention to try and blow the windows out, entertain and do the very best i can with an authentic box of 45's, some of my recent spots i feel have become a little similar so i am trying to do something about that but that's another issue really, as for someone telling me what to play sorry no chance, build it up and take them to the bridge i say!!!! way back at The 100 Club one night Ian Clark and Dick Coombes between them palyed the following all in my box ready to play when they were huge records...The Empires, Cashmeres, Bobby Kline, Elbie Parker, Ron Baxter, Troy Dodds, Eric Mercury, Joann Courcy, Jesse Davis, Johnny Rodgers etc. etc. panic yes but i thought about it and dug a little deep and pulled a blinder out of what was at first a disaster situation perhaps confirming my point of having a little more depth to your playbox than banking on twenty or so records to use all the time or base your spot on, it would have been easy to repeat the records but i went with other tunes, just an example which confirms that records are free for everyone to play and are never exclusive to one DJ.

Is this music not about sharing it? we all love to have good records, we eat, sleep and live the bloody things with a passion and i find it really difficult to accept that someone feels they can dictate who plays what when...no sorry don't get that at all.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share