Manship

John takes a lot of flack on here

No he doesn't, he gets more praise than anyone else, especially from the likes of yourself if anyone dares to ask a question concerning his auctions or his (over)price guide.

Why the hell shouldn't people be able to discuss the value of a record? Just because his book says it's worth X amount it doesn't mean we can't have a debate about it.

Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

No he doesn't, he gets more praise than anyone else, especially from the likes of yourself if anyone dares to ask a question concerning his auctions or his (over)price guide.

Why the hell shouldn't people be able to discuss the value of a record? Just because his book says it's worth X amount it doesn't mean we can't have a debate about it.[/quote

Deleted.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

For Nev and Daz

ONLY NEV AND DAZ?? :P

AS I'VE ALREADY STATED ROD, I CERTAINLY HAVE NO AXE TO GRINDE WITH JM, AND THE "FICTICIUOS" BIT WAS MERELY SAID TO WIDEN THE DEBATE, TONGUE IN CHEEK IF YOU LIKE.TO PROVOKE A REACTION AMONGST THOSE WHO HAVE BOUGHT, TO COME FORWARD, SO TO SPEAK.

I DONT THINK, GENUINELY, ANYONE IN THIS DEBATE IS HAVING A PERSONAL DIG AT JOHN.ITS MERELY DISCUSSING WHY,"MANSHIP RECORDS" IS SUCH A PHENOMENON WHEN IT COMES TO SELLING RECORDS! UNDERSTANDABLY SOME RECORDS ON AUCTION ARE SO DOG RARE THEY ARE WORTH PAYING THE GOING RATE TO A COLLECTOR ,BUT SURELY FRANKIE CROCKER,EVEN IN MINT ISNT SUCH A RECORD .LIKE PETE SAYS HE SELLS IT FOR £150 .TWO POINTS HERE "SELLS"(NOT SOLD) AND "£150"THUS MEANING HE'S SOLD A FEW.

THERE ARE MANY ON JM'S AUCTION, THAT ARE ON LISTS ON HERE, AND GO FOR A LOT MORE THAN THE REALISTIC PRICES ON HERE!

I DARE SAY 30+YRS AGO RECORD COLLECTING WAS FAR MORE INTERESTING A HOBBY THAN NOW.WITH THE INTERNET AND EBAY EXPLOSION ,DEPENDING ON YOUR BUDGET ,JUST ABOUT ANYTHING IS OBTAINABLE.DEFINITELY NO NEED TO PAY OVER THE ODDS FOR ANYTHING IMHO!

AND HERES ME THINKING A FORUM WAS A PLACE FOR PEOPLE TO DEBATE :unsure::(:lol:

P.s AM REALLY PLEASED JOHN HAS'NT TOOK IT TO HEART AND FELT THE NEED TO JUSTIFY HIMSELF. WOULD TRADE PLACES WITH THE MAN ANY DAY OF THE WEEK .ALTHOUGH WITH MY GOOD LOOKS AND YOUTH I BET JM WOULD .teee hee hee :unsure:

Social source share

Ah Nev, I didn't single you and Daz out because you'd questioned the high prices John obtains on his auction but because the way I read your posts neither of you had taken part in one and I was just pointing out that I had and it worked no different than an Ebay auction.

I've gotta be honest and say that the thought that some manipulation may be occuring had crossed my mind. There was a thread on here ages ago talking about dodgy bidding on Ebay[which was news to me!!] and of course there was a rumour about a rare 45 John was selling on consignment which to his credit he removed as soon as it came to his attention.

I agree with everything you say and I definitely think the lower end 45s are way over priced which IMO creates a stagnant market whereby they sit in some US dealer's inventory and don't find their way to their natural market. I think Chris Anderton mentioned his experience with this on his last trip.

I noticed that beginning to happen back in the early 90's when Sousson brought out his guide where up until then common Ric-Tic 45s were rated at £15 and at the time you couldn't give them away!!

ROD

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert