Johnny Vanelli - Seven Days Of Loving You - Pre-vue £358

Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I couldn't even get £75 for that Carol Waller on my list.

Frankie Crcoker I sell for £150.

Subway Riders I didn't think was worth more than £40.

Tommy Tate worth about £75.

There are some mad mad people around

Arrrrgh Pete... Doth That Mean Mine Pristine Steve Karmen Big Band Hath A Chance At Glory?

Is There Hope Yet :wicked:

Social source share

pete i wished i could get these prices for my records :wicked: then i could give up the day job eh.

I just don't understand why records sell for up to ten times more than what anyone else sells them for when they go into the auction. Is it because there are hundreds of utterly clueless punters? If so, like you say, why don't they buy from us? Or are people bragging about how much they paid for a record? There's nothing clever about paying twice as much for a record as someone else.

Social source share

I just don't understand why records sell for up to ten times more than what anyone else sells them for when they go into the auction. Is it because there are hundreds of utterly clueless punters? If so, like you say, why don't they buy from us? Or are people bragging about how much they paid for a record? There's nothing clever about paying twice as much for a record as someone else.

The Only Clever End Of The Sick Is The One Being Paid For Said Inflated Grandiosity.

Not A Bad End Of The Stick.

Social source share

WOW!!!! who are these buyers? dont see people throwing £ about like this at niters ! i never , or rarely hear people saying they have bought from jm ,unless the odd one is lower than on the scene, but the guy soon catches up, knows his business. i would rather wait 5 years to find a bargain myself, more fun to hunt them down yourself!!!! just takes fucking hours and hours!!!!!! and lots of records piled up at home that aint what i thought they were, drat!!!!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Possibly foreign buyers?, or people who don't have the time or patience to constantly wade through record lists for months on end. They see it. They can afford it. They buy it. Auction fever drives the price up too - just look at Sotheby's auctions etc. Sadly, Soul records have become just another investment opportunity to some people. It's turning into something akin to Tulip mania.

Social source share

this is why i now buy mainly r&b popcorn teen etc ,not so expensive, and somhething different to hear with the same 60s feel, productions etc, however northern collecters and dealers are beginning to infultrate these murky depths and seem to think its right to pay more than is normally the going rate to get the items they want, therefore prices go up.and then we are back where we started with northern, market forces i spose, but would still rather buy records for my mates and pass them on at small £10 or so profits, its great to see there faces when you sort them out !!!!!!!!!!! other people say im a fool and get shafted, but it only happens once then they get no more from me... unless you lot know different??guilty ones confess PLEASE!!!!

Social source share

Possibly foreign buyers?, or people who don't have the time or patience to constantly wade through record lists for months on end. They see it. They can afford it. They buy it. Auction fever drives the price up too - just look at Sotheby's auctions etc. Sadly, Soul records have become just another investment opportunity to some people. It's turning into something akin to Tulip mania.

POSSIBLY FICTICOUS :yes:

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS BOUGHT BIG PRICED RECORDS OFF J M'S AUCTION?

IF THE THEORY ABOUT PEOPLE WANTING TO BRAG ABOUT PAYING BIG PRICES HOLD'S WATER THEN LET'S HEAR FROM YOU unsure.gif

I CERTAINLY HAVE NEVER MET ONE :search:

Social source share

Been said before, but Manship has a long history of selling quality vinyl. Meaning the condition of records on auction will ALWAYS be absolutely spot on. Buyers know this the world over and having a reputation as such over many years for rare quality tunes in tip top nick, is what pushes the price up.

Social source share

POSSIBLY FICTICOUS :thumbsup:

IF THE THEORY ABOUT PEOPLE WANTING TO BRAG ABOUT PAYING BIG PRICES HOLD'S WATER THEN LET'S HEAR FROM YOU :wicked:

i'm sure john will be on shortly to rebut the fiction line, but i must say i'd be surprised if he's making the bids up. after all, the tax man will be all over his site like a rash and he'd have a hard time explaining that to investigators.

i do think the prices paid are surprising though.

Social source share

I'm not saying for a minute the prices are fixed and I'm not criticising JM either - I'm saying where are the people who pay these prices, and why do they pay the prices when they can often buy the same records for half the price elsewhere?

Agree with Shute, John has a great reputation for selling rare soul and this will always mean he can get the best price. He also sells into a far larger audience than any other dealer, his website is very well known and his customer base is huge. Sometimes it might seem strange that he can sell something for significantly more that you or me but when he puts an item up on his site it will be seen by a huge number of potential buyers, far more than you get to look at your sales list or website (or mine). That, combined with the fact that you always know you will get a disc in the exact condition described and arriving at your door in 24 hours, is why he gets the best prices.

Adam.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Agree with Shute, John has a great reputation for selling rare soul and this will always mean he can get the best price. He also sells into a far larger audience than any other dealer, his website is very well known and his customer base is huge. Sometimes it might seem strange that he can sell something for significantly more that you or me but when he puts an item up on his site it will be seen by a huge number of potential buyers, far more than you get to look at your sales list or website (or mine). That, combined with the fact that you always know you will get a disc in the exact condition described and arriving at your door in 24 hours, is why he gets the best prices.

Adam.

He's not the only one who can grade records properly and supply next day delivery though, 95% of all orders I get go out the same day.

Social source share

He's not the only one who can grade records properly and supply next day delivery though, 95% of all orders I get go out the same day.

Of course he's not, most of my orders go out same day and all are properly graded. Look at it this way, you buy stuff on eBay and sell it on through here and on lists at a profit......why don't people who want them just buy them from eBay?? I guess it's because you have a decent reputation as a seller, maybe some people don't use ebay or they just didn't see it up for sale etc etc. Apply the same sort of reasoning to Johns' sales and it's pretty easy to understand how he gets the sales he gets.

Adam.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

yeah but your too cheap Pete :thumbsup:

Social source share

Does anyone know what the price was for:i`ll make it on my own-Cecil Lyde?

It's not finished yet, ends next Weds. Think it's at about £60 at the moment.

Social source share

I'm not saying for a minute the prices are fixed and I'm not criticising JM either - I'm saying where are the people who pay these prices,

Many of the people who buy the big works of art at auction do so anonymously by telephone bidding or through a third party. It's possible that there are buyers of records - people in the public eye perhaps - who for one reason or another don't want the masses knowing who they are or what they've paid. Additionally there are probably people, possibly some on here perhaps, who have been desperate for a record and have been prepared to pay over the odds to get it. Again, and for obvious reasons, they would probably prefer not to let it be known what they've actually paid.

and why do they pay the prices when they can often buy the same records for half the price elsewhere?

I guess if they can afford the prices then they can also afford not to shop elsewhere. JM has a great reputation for delivering quality, I'm not suggesting that others don't, far from it actuially, but there are always going to be those people that only want to shop at what they consider to be the best places. I don't believe that this can be down to price alone. It's the same reason why some people do their weekly shop at M&S / Waitrose and the rest of us shop at ASDA or Tesco.

Having said that I might just be talking b*llocks

Social source share

Armchair collectors = so that they can say ''Oh, I've got that''

my therory anyway

When I Grow Up I Want That To Be Me Lot In Life.

And Can Somebody Please Tie That Avatar Up Through Her In The Back Of The Van And Bung Her Round My Gaff!

Shite!

She Saw That! Now I'm In It For Having After Fictious Bints. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I say, every credit to Mr M.............he's one of, if not the world leader in dealing with Rare Soul!

Not all that list is mad either!

Seen the Ad Libs sell at over £500

Seen Don Varner sell at over £800

Seen Bill Brandon sell at over £250

(and that's in the last couple of years)

It's the old adage, that a record is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it - period!

As a collector you want records you own to go up and records you want to be cheap as chips.............but it don't work like that in the real world!

Don't know who buys at these auctions BUT like they say, if you want it and you can afford it, then buy it!

More power to you Mr Manship :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

I say, every credit to Mr M.............he's one of, if not the world leader in dealing with Rare Soul!

Not all that list is mad either!

Seen the Ad Libs sell at over £500

Seen Don Varner sell at over £800

Seen Bill Brandon sell at over £250

(and that's in the last couple of years)

It's the old adage, that a record is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it - period!

As a collector you want records you own to go up and records you want to be cheap as chips.............but it don't work like that in the real world!

Don't know who buys at these auctions BUT like they say, if you want it and you can afford it, then buy it!

More power to you Mr Manship :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

080106-0115.jpg

Social source share

prices on auction are generally more than you would be able to sell for at a set sale price as people do get carried away..plus johns site is without doubt the best in the world for rare soul...i would imagine it cost a lot of money ...to build and maintain..

if bids are reserves you would never know??? many people have a reserve..

the only down side is that many of the records are not really auction quality as some of the above mentioned...subway riders etc tommy tate...

the anglo american site tends to have much rarer records on it...

Social source share

Of course he's not, most of my orders go out same day and all are properly graded. Look at it this way, you buy stuff on eBay and sell it on through here and on lists at a profit......why don't people who want them just buy them from eBay?? I guess it's because you have a decent reputation as a seller, maybe some people don't use ebay or they just didn't see it up for sale etc etc. Apply the same sort of reasoning to Johns' sales and it's pretty easy to understand how he gets the sales he gets.

Adam.

maybe it's also cos Pete keeps outbidding us with his sniper! :angry:

seriously i have bought a few records from Jm for good prices and in tip top condition.they are posted out same or next day :thumbsup:

his drop down auction is superb for grabbing a bargain.

i for one dont wish any ill feeling towards the guy,(the ficticious remark was tongue in cheek). he has done his homework ,got the best website and possibly sells the best records!i dont even think his prices dictate or influence prices elsewhere.

its a free market and if someone is willing or deperate enough to pay for that personal treasure then thats there prerogative imho!

just seems strange that when people go to the bother of putting sounds and images of good records on here they usually end up bidding down rather than up and for a lot less than jm's prices.

strange world of northern soul eh!

Social source share

The Burning Bush - Keeps On Burning c/w Evil Eye - Mercury £280

=========================================================

HAVE this still,was £200 on my list nice white demo

Good luck to John

he,s paid his dues

always fair with me

keith

Social source share

The Burning Bush - Keeps On Burning c/w Evil Eye - Mercury £280

=========================================================

HAVE this still,was £200 on my list nice white demo

Good luck to John

he,s paid his dues

always fair with me

keith

i'D SAY THAT WAS A GOOD PRICE FOR A STOCK COPY, i CAN'T REMEMBER SEEING ONE BEFORE.

Social source share

POSSIBLY FICTICOUS wicked.gif

IF THE THEORY ABOUT PEOPLE WANTING TO BRAG ABOUT PAYING BIG PRICES HOLD'S WATER THEN LET'S HEAR FROM YOU :D

I COMPLETELY AGREE !

I KNOW A LOT OF BIG COLLECTORS AND NOT ONE OF THEM HAS BOUGHT FROM THE AUCTION.

IS THERE ANY PROOF OF THESE PURCHASES?????????????????????????

I MAY ADD THAT THERE ARE LOTS OF PEOPLE WITH MUCH MORE MONEY THAN ME AND CAN AFFORD TO PAY THREE TIMES AS MUCH AS ANY AVERAGE COLLECTOR - BUT WHY? ARE THESE PEOPLE REAL COLLECTORS????

OR JUST JUMPING ON FOR THE RIDE BECAUSE COLLECTING RARE AND EXPENSIVE SOUL RECORDS CAN GAIN YOU INSTANT RESPECT AND FRIENDSHIP ?!?!?!?!?! BULLSHIT IN MY OPINION BECAUSE I FEEL YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LOT OF KNOWLEDGE AND YOUVE GOT TO PUT IN A LOT OF RESEARCH TOO WHICH TAKES HOUR AFTER HOUR AFTER HOUR.....!!!! WARNING THIS HAS AND MAY BE A CONTRIBUTING FACTOR IN YOUR DIVORCE!!! BE CAREFUL AND MAKE SURE BEFORE IT GETS NASTY TO MOVE ALL VINYL FROM THE PREMISES AND HAVE STORED IN A SECRET LOCATION!!!

BYE FOR NOW

DAZ

Social source share

I COMPLETELY AGREE !

I KNOW A LOT OF BIG COLLECTORS AND NOT ONE OF THEM HAS BOUGHT FROM THE AUCTION.

IS THERE ANY PROOF OF THESE PURCHASES?????????????????????????

I MAY ADD THAT THERE ARE LOTS OF PEOPLE WITH MUCH MORE MONEY THAN ME AND CAN AFFORD TO PAY THREE TIMES AS MUCH AS ANY AVERAGE COLLECTOR - BUT WHY? ARE THESE PEOPLE REAL COLLECTORS????

OR JUST JUMPING ON FOR THE RIDE BECAUSE COLLECTING RARE AND EXPENSIVE SOUL RECORDS CAN GAIN YOU INSTANT RESPECT AND FRIENDSHIP ?!?!?!?!?! BULLSHIT IN MY OPINION BECAUSE I FEEL YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LOT OF KNOWLEDGE AND YOUVE GOT TO PUT IN A LOT OF RESEARCH TOO WHICH TAKES HOUR AFTER HOUR AFTER HOUR.....!!!! WARNING THIS HAS AND MAY BE A CONTRIBUTING FACTOR IN YOUR DIVORCE!!! BE CAREFUL AND MAKE SURE BEFORE IT GETS NASTY TO MOVE ALL VINYL FROM THE PREMISES AND HAVE STORED IN A SECRET LOCATION!!!

BYE FOR NOW

DAZ

You & Lou not getting on then whistling.gif:D . Bri said he'll look after then for you & keep them safe :D

Social source share

POSSIBLY FICTICOUS :D

IF THE THEORY ABOUT PEOPLE WANTING TO BRAG ABOUT PAYING BIG PRICES HOLD'S WATER THEN LET'S HEAR FROM YOU :thumbup:

To be honest Nev I can't see the prices these sell for being ficticious - its no secret John charges fifteen percent to auction your records and the majority of the records he auctions are not his but other peoples, there would be no point in him 'creating a price' because it would mean he would earn nothing from the sale, which would have already used up some of his webspace for the previous three weeks or so. Since John started bringing out his books he really has become a global brand name and probably attracts more people to his site than anyone else. Certainly I know who some of the bidders are on his auctions even when they have usernames and they are genuine collectors. The other thing is that John will take trades against auction items so some bidders will go higher than usual because of the trades they can put in against the final price.... just my take on it all!

Cheers

Mike

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(Mike B @ Apr 20 2007, 11:30 PM) link
To be honest Nev I can't see the prices these sell for being ficticious - its no secret John charges fifteen percent to auction your records and the majority of the records he auctions are not his but other peoples, there would be no point in him 'creating a price' because it would mean he would earn nothing from the sale, which would have already used up some of his webspace for the previous three weeks or so. Since John started bringing out his books he really has become a global brand name and probably attracts more people to his site than anyone else. Certainly I know who some of the bidders are on his auctions even when they have usernames and they are genuine collectors. The other thing is that John will take trades against auction items so some bidders will go higher than usual because of the trades they can put in against the final price.... just my take on it all!

Cheers

Mike

Absolutely right Mike. I have both bought and sold records off John's auction, and have been very happy with the service. Totally straight.

Phil.

Social source share

Guest soultempo

i know one or two punters who can afford to bid on the JM auctions & do ... :thumbsup:

And they win items, occasionally ... !

They are fanatical genuine UK soul lovers & collectors ... yes, they are also fairly wealthy too !!!

auctions are unfortunately way out of my league tho' ... sad.gif

jealous ... of course i'm not ... :thumbsup: ... haha !!!

Social source share

Just as we're now getting $2 for £1 there are some countries in the world who's exchange rate and average salaries work in their favour when buying in sterling, bloody Japs... :thumbsup:

Not sure there are that many Japanese collectors left at the moment Paul? :unsure: I am sure "Them" on here or someone can tell us for sure though. Many of the big in demanders in recent years have in part been sourced from Japan, and re-imported into the UK.

Some of the comments on this thread generally however are nausiating.

Three points to remember:

- It takes at least two bidders for a price to stick, not just one looney tune operating in isolation

- this auction site is clearly viewed by many more people than any list or record box that's trawled around nighters, and has a global audience, including other scenes such as funk etc.

- people on auctions such as this are, because of the way the auction is configured (with maximum bids) likely to bid more to "knock out" the competition.

Some of the auction prices do go crazy - Detroit sounds of Friction being a recent example - can only assume that's because at least two people have put in very high bids to secure (this also happens on Ebuy).

I have won two items in the last 12 months off of the JM auction - a rare UK item at around 400 (not Yuro or Banks far rarer than both of them) and a rare deep soul item at under 250, and am happy with both. :thumbsup: and also happy to face off any of you who wish to be critical because I bid and won those two items boxing.gif , so you see it's not all megabucks and idiots with too much money.

Steve

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

John can , and does, get the biggest prices on records and I, for one, say astonishing good luck to him for being able to do what 99.9% of people who sell records (either casually, or for a living) usually can't.

Of course, when John does get a price on a record that might be two or three times what most other people might expect to get, the 'value' of that record goes up accordingly in his price guide. Now, it's my view that at least some of John's finishing prices have to be the result of two or three nutters, with more money than sense, chasing the price of a record up to a point where only they can afford it, and this sort of 'behaviour' should not affect the overall valuation of a record that's likely to be seen at a considerably lower price in most people's sales boxes.

I'm sure that we'd all like to own every record that we've ever wanted - I know that if I won the 8 million lottery rollover, I would immediately go out and drop several hundred grand on the 20 or so soul records that I have always coveted at any price that I could get them for, no matter how far out of step what I would end up paying might be with the percieved 'regular' selling price of those records. But any OTT extravagance on my part should then not play a part in the restructuring of a record's percieved value, anymore than should the real life handiwork of the aforementioned "two or three nutters etc."

This is not in any way a dig at John who, after all, does not hold people up at gunpoint and force them to pay what they do pay. But he patently does get some hyper-rich customers that other dealers don't, who are prepared to splash the cash right away rather than bide their time and wait for their tunes to come along at a lower price. I just wish that the unlimited 'one off' extravagance of those kind of customers did not come into play where any future re-evaluation of the records that they buy is concerned...

Social source share

John's got a Flamingos Boogaloo Party on his auction at the moment, goodness knows why, stating it's the original 1st issue before being repressed with the same number, but that looks like a 1700 number to me and not the first issue which is 1483, unless it's my eyes.

Social source share

For Nev and Daz

I won "Sister Lee" for £350 off John's auction about 2 years ago. I bid once early on and forgot about it until email notification received. It was just a straightforward auction with no "after-time" bidding that I was aware of or involved in. I was happy with the price cos it is reasonably hard to get in Mintish condition nowadays.

I am though amazed at what he does get for a lot of the auction items and it looks like that is the general consensus of opinion. Currently IMO the Frankie Beverley seems to be OTT.

As has been said though John has put a hell of a lot of work into that site and I bet Im not the only one who uses it as a reference to hear 45s that are available elsewhere cheaper, so for that he should be congragulated.

I kinda agree with Tone about the prices on the higher end but if John reflects the auction prices in his "guide", then the book is just that, a guide.

I think where I would fall out with John is at the lower end. On going through Ebay the other day I noticed the Artistics "The Chase is on" advertised as $60 or $70 in "Manship"

https://cgi.ebay.com/NORTHERN-SOUL-45-RECOR...1QQcmdZViewItem

It didn't sell and latest copy that did on Ebay went for $9.50 [in lesser condition than copy that didn't sell - go figure!!!]. Pete mentioned that Magestics 45 earlier on too and we all know loads that can be obtained much cheaper or don't sell at all. I just wonder why John doesn't take that into account when revising his guide. And I guess why other UK dealers quote John's prices but never say "on Ebay for $5" !!

ROD

Social source share

I bid for the JJ Caillier last week for a friend, a friend who doesn't/can't spend a great deal of time on the net, or buying too many records out anymore - he gave me an amount to bid for it (I'll not say how much as I will piss Lars off, whom I eventually bought it from) - and that was that.

What I'm saying is, if you want it and it's there and you can afford it....then you'll pay it....and a lot of people are in that situation these days...not enough time to go looking but the money to buy it if it is there...and John's site is known to more than most.

Money talks.

Social source share

surely it's just because he has such a massive audience and high profile. If there's 2 collectors in the world who really really want that certain record, they're unlikely to be both at a nighter digging through a sales box, or looking on sales pages on here every day but will all see Manship's auctions, and sometimes would rather pay that much extra than spend hours digging and searching.

There's a few records on my wants list that I'd happily pay way over any 'book' price just to have now to play, you get another person in that same situation and there you go - a bidding war and an inflated price.

I offered £125 for a blues busters on here - not a big record fair enough but probably more than it's ever sold for but got no offers. if Manship put one on auction and i won it for that, you'd get loads of people on here saying 'i sold one for £75 or £30 etc'.

But i want it now, and to get it is worth an extra £50.

if it was a rarer record, the chance to get it while you want it would be worth maybe an extra £150+ to me.

There's always griping about people spending a bit too much for a record, but if they got it at the right price but spent £50,000 on a sports car, which seems a far bigger waste of money, no one gives a shit.

And beyond all that, thank f*** there's still interest.

If you're moaning about this, how will you feel when all these records are worth nothing cos it's all over?

I hate it when I can't afford a record I want, like this Wendel thingy that's suddenly blown up, but in a way am glad that there's still a buzz about it, it shows there's life and enthusiasm in it still.

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

just seen norris vines and jp robinson on latest auction

its my birthday a week tomorrow

so i suppose ive at least two chances to win lottery this week in order to win said items

unless a rich benefactor would like ot donate this way

:unsure::unsure:

wonderful records and no doubt for the seller will get a wonderful price too

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert