Pete S

• Replies 62
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Carl Dixon

I bet the 'You Tube' staff are worried! If most items are in breach of copyright, they are liable to loose their edge with this technology as items are removed and loose members maybe. It will go underground and people will still share the files, but covertly from other servers. This is a massive issue.

Simon is right about the house scenario. We take for granted when we buy a record that we can copy it to cassette or whatever or email to a friend, or post it on a server, but in reality we do not have permission to do that. It will happen knowing human nature. I do not think any record company sued Radio Caroline, for example when they were illegally playing records off Frinton on Sea in 1964! In fact I bet they sent the records to Caroline's office in Mayfair hoping they would be played. How times have changed. But, I do believe that copyright law is important for us all. I need it to protect my songs both lyrics and melody and the mechanical should I press a single! Should somebody exploit my songs and make money without my permission, I have a right to take action to assert my ownership of the product and recover monies that are owed to me. As a writer I need credibility and a successful composition would hopefully glean fruitful commissions and important collaborations in the future. Ironically, success could come as a direct result of what should not be done!

I feel these companies policing their works cannot perceive the worth of the items they own and exploit them on the internet, because they don't know how. I feel they are na¯ve by not allowing general use for no profit of their products, but if this is jeopardising a revenue stream for them I fully understand their decisions. Remember many of these records or video/films were made in the days of record players and tape recorders and no such thing as a home VCR! Remember the 'Up Pompeii' programme where the BBC wiped many of the episodes and begged staff to check their 'archives' for any of the lost episodes they may have at home? I have a Berry Gordy TV pre studio chat where he mentions my name to the presenter when he launched his book in the UK in 1994. As I respect the stations probable ownership of that item, it has never been played to anybody and probably never will be, unless I negotiate with the station. It is a two way street. If anybody presented the BBC with illegally recorded episodes of the missing Doctor Who items lost in the 60's, can you imagine what that would mean?

Social source share

Hello Pete-S,

first thanks so much for your effort and all these awesome clips, i started to find them a few months ago, wanted to show them a friend yesterday and was shocked to notice they were removed! that´s just ridiculous.

i´d love to have some of the clips, i know i only have seen a few, i loved the o jays lipstick traces (was that one of your clips at all? anyway, this one has been removed also...) how about making a torrent file of the clips and just seed them forever? i think torrents are a pretty easy way to share files...

cheers,

grooveop

Social source share

Hello Pete-S,

first thanks so much for your effort and all these awesome clips, i started to find them a few months ago, wanted to show them a friend yesterday and was shocked to notice they were removed! that´s just ridiculous.

i´d love to have some of the clips, i know i only have seen a few, i loved the o jays lipstick traces (was that one of your clips at all? anyway, this one has been removed also...) how about making a torrent file of the clips and just seed them forever? i think torrents are a pretty easy way to share files...

cheers,

grooveop

Well the bottom line is that you or anyone else can get all of this stuff off me privately but I'm not going to be puting anything else on the net, not with the Motown representatives solictors letter still sat here next to me! I'm still bewlidered why they took the other clips down though.

Social source share

• 3 months later...

That's sad. Why the banning?

[Hi I'm Casey and apart from being webmaster for the Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons UK Collectors Group at www.seasonally.co.uk I am a member of the Spectropop e-group ..spectacular retropop....and members of the 2000 plus membership have been debating the identity of 'innercalm' and the awesome and rare videos he uploaded. Many members are keen to see them again and I can advise them if you ever get a chance to re-upload anywhere. if you have a message for them and can post requests to their group web space that would be terrific. Let me know at seasonally@btinternet.com

]

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest livelikeasailor

JUST ONE QUESTiON FOR NOW. HOW LONG HAS USA FEDRAL LAW APPLiED iN THE UK? OR iS iT THE CASE THAT BECAUSE YOU TUBE iS WORLDWiDE THAT WE ARE ALL UNDER THE CONTROL OF THE U.S.A? :D

Social source share

Guest bill storey

That is bo**oc*s for you mate and the rest of the world soul loving community, the work you put into compiling your excellent archive should be commended, you should have a friends only personal network it is difficult to prove that the clips aren't only for personal use and if you give details of how to join your personal network on soul source you might have a reasonable loop-hole. Anyone have anymore technical details that can help this great guy carry on providing the groundbreaking service he strives to accomplish.

Bill :thumbsup:

Social source share

Bill, the problem is that even if we could do this, I haven't got the patience to do it all again, because apart from the stuff that is available on dvd, the rest were from vhs tapes. Half of them I actually threw away because I thought they'd be a permanent online archive! I'd be happy to donate the remainder to anyone who wanted to use them but I can't see myself doing it again.

Social source share

Guest bill storey

Bill, the problem is that even if we could do this, I haven't got the patience to do it all again, because apart from the stuff that is available on dvd, the rest were from vhs tapes. Half of them I actually threw away because I thought they'd be a permanent online archive! I'd be happy to donate the remainder to anyone who wanted to use them but I can't see myself doing it again.

Big shame man feel so sorry for you, great effort though wel done. :D

Social source share

Guest North End Soul

YouTube has really gone down the pan since Google bought it, loads of good content has been removed plus a lot of the videos are choppy as fook now especially at peak times. Can anyone recommend a good free video hosting site?

Social source share

YouTube is great, no question ... However my only criticism would be "THIS VIDEO IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE" ... Happens all too often. Tiresome, depressing and dissapointing ...

Really gets my goat that :lol: Always the soul videos too ! I was trying to view the ones that had been noted on this forum over the last week or so, & every one has been wiped off !

I reckon there is some headbanger whose only job is to look out for anything with a soulful content & ban it !

Bit different when it comes to happy slapping, anything cruel or anything filthy though !!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert