Leo Price

Crumb

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest dundeedavie

Is Hey Now Baby on Hull a different version to the one on Up-Down ? If so is it as good ?

Thanks

i was told this recently when i was looking for one ..... yes it is differnt and no it's not good , missing the brass line i understand

Social source share

i was told this recently when i was looking for one ..... yes it is differnt and no it's not good , missing the brass line i understand

I can vouch for this. Similar tempo etc but far less 'gutsy' IMO. I think Hull was a legit re-issue label that re-released loads of Doo-Wop, RnB and RnR titles late 50's thru early - mid sixties.

Hull version of Hey Now Baby still commands quite a high ticket tho.

Have we been here before? When Tim Brown had this covered as Lee Crandell Experience, Lee Crandell was a real person known from Tims' Zoological interests. Lee Crandell was (is?) the curator of New York Zoo!!

Neil & Dolly.

Social source share

i've both versions and can post up tomorrow. the Up Down has more oooomph in a club, but after a few listens it's a pretty bad bodge edit job with slightly out of time drums and out of tune foghorns! still great though!!

The Hull version i think is a great r&b tune and stands up on it's own.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hull is as far as I know the origianl label. I've a cd of the Hull/Mascot story at home somewhere. I'll post the Hull version when back on line with new ISP. It's the same but missing the fog horn brass on the Up Down release. It's far rarer with just a handful of copies as far as I know.

Both versions shite and sod all to do with soul :rolleyes: Leo Price is Lloyd Price's brother for those that didn't know and he ands his band made up the in house band at Hull.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hull was a legitimate label full stop - never, at any time during its lifetime was it a reissue label.

Several of the most famous doo-wop records of all time were first issued on either Hull or its sister label Mascot, including the Monotones' "Book Of Love", the Elegants' "Little Star", Shep and the Limelites' "Daddy's Home" and the Pastels' "Been So Long". It was founded and run, throughout its existence (1954-66) by Bea Kaslin. She sold it to Morris Levy of Roulette Records in 1967 and it has been the property of EMI since they acquired the Roulette group of owned labels (including Dynovoice, TK, Buttercup, End, Gone and many more) in 1988.

Contrary to what Chalky says above, Leo Price 's band was not the 'house band' for Hull. They did play on sessions other than Leo's own, including the Blonde Bomber's rockin' classic "Strollie Bun", but the label's musical director for most of its life was Teacho Wiltshire, who used the cream of New York's session musicians rather than just one band.

However, he was right in saying that Leo is Lloyd Price's brother. Although they're often mistakenly attributed to Lloyd, Leo also wrote several songs that Little Richard recorded including "Send Me Some Loving" and "Can't Believe You Wanna Leave"...

...here endeth the lesson :rolleyes:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Contrary to what someone says above, Leo Price 's band was not the 'house band' for Hull. They did play on sessions other than Leo's own, including the Blonde Bomber's rockin' classic "Strollie Bun", but the label's musical director for most of its life was Teacho Wiltshire, who used the cream of New York's session musicians rather than just one band.

I made this comment Tony as sure thats what the liner notes on the CD Story of Hull/Mascot quotes. Not at home so can't look at the liner notes for clarification as to what it actually says. Cheers for clearing things up though :rolleyes:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Hull was a legitimate label full stop - never, at any time during its lifetime was it a reissue label.

Several of the most famous doo-wop records of all time were first issued on either Hull or its sister label Mascot, including the Monotones' "Book Of Love", the Elegants' "Little Star", Shep and the Limelites' "Daddy's Home" and the Pastels' "Been So Long". It was founded and run, throughout its existence (1954-66) by Bea Kaslin. She sold it to Morris Levy of Roulette Records in 1967 and it has been the property of EMI since they acquired the Roulette group of owned labels (including Dynovoice, TK, Buttercup, End, Gone and many more) in 1988.

Contrary to what Chalky says above, Leo Price 's band was not the 'house band' for Hull. They did play on sessions other than Leo's own, including the Blonde Bomber's rockin' classic "Strollie Bun", but the label's musical director for most of its life was Teacho Wiltshire, who used the cream of New York's session musicians rather than just one band.

However, he was right in saying that Leo is Lloyd Price's brother. Although they're often mistakenly attributed to Lloyd, Leo also wrote several songs that Little Richard recorded including "Send Me Some Loving" and "Can't Believe You Wanna Leave"...

...here endeth the lesson yes.gif

there are a couple good soul records on hull near the end of its run. The admirations on hull (not Chicag) has an awesome group soul side and an okay northern side. The simplicities on hull is a okay girl group record.

Social source share

Is Hey Now Baby on Hull a different version to the one on Up-Down ? If so is it as good ?

Thanks

I was going to say that the Hull release is deffo the original. The up down sounds like a rough bodge up with fog horns.

I agree with Chalky, both shite. :thumbsup:whistling.gif

Social source share

"Hull was a legitimate label full stop - never, at any time during its lifetime was it a reissue label. "

Its not often I'm right....... and I'm wrong again! :thumbsup: Thanks for putting me straight Tony.

Neil Jones thumbsup.gif

Edited by burysoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert