C.l.blast "what Can I Do" United Records

OK gang - I'm after some help with this one.....

C L Blast - What Can I Do - United....... I brought this record over in a bunch of unknown stuff 4 or 5 years ago and plugged away for ages with it, to only limited success.

In the last year or so, Robbo has included it in his sets and it's gone bonkers! Northern Soul eh!!?

Anyway, I've been asked by a few people if I will part with my copy and, on the basis that Robbo has made it his own, I think I'll let it go. Thing is, I've no idea what to ask for it.

Can anyone give me some idea? Does anyone know somebody who is after a copy (preferably someone with more money than sense!! laugh.gif:thumbsup::lol: ) who could maybe put 'possible seller' and 'possible buyer' in contact?

All help appreciated.

Neil Jones thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

OK gang - I'm after some help with this one.....

C L Blast - What Can I Do - United....... I brought this record over in a bunch of unknown stuff 4 or 5 years ago and plugged away for ages with it, to only limited success.

In the last year or so, Robbo has included it in his sets and it's gone bonkers! Northern Soul eh!!?

Anyway, I've been asked by a few people if I will part with my copy and, on the basis that Robbo has made it his own, I think I'll let it go. Thing is, I've no idea what to ask for it.

Can anyone give me some idea? Does anyone know somebody who is after a copy (preferably someone with more money than sense!! :lol::ohmy::lol: ) who could maybe put 'possible seller' and 'possible buyer' in contact?

All help appreciated.

Neil Jones :rolleyes:

Hi Neil superb record and played at the Saints Club many years ago, remember vividly Robbo coming up to me and asking "what the F**K was that". Used to be able to pick it up for a fiver as no one really wanted to know it.

It has always had the potential to be big record IMHO just needs more DJ's to get behind it. You're right, Robbo always features it, Karl played it last night in the DDA room at Lowton and it filled the floor so maybe £20 - £40 would be fair today but who knows tomorrow.

Social source share

Cheers fellas - It's going on to my current sales list as a 'LATE RUNNER' being as it's Grand National Day. Maybe I should ask a Grand for it..... :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the info

Neil :lol:

Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

That piano intro! A fist clencher of a record, which is one of the best two types of record that there are. (The other is the type of record that requires that eyes be closed while listening -- examples include Alice Clark "I keep it hid" and Morris Chestnut "Too darn soulful".) I remember Mark Linton used to play CL Blast around about 1988. He was that breed of DJ working in Scotland then that were discerning fans of the music, unlike others around then that just had money to spend and egos to maintain. rolleyes.gif Time for my pills.

Social source share

That piano intro! A fist clencher of a record, which is one of the best two types of record that there are. (The other is the type of record that requires that eyes be closed while listening -- examples include Alice Clark "I keep it hid" and Morris Chestnut "Too darn soulful".) I remember Mark Linton used to play CL Blast around about 1988. He was that breed of DJ working in Scotland then that were discerning fans of the music, unlike others around then that just had money to spend and egos to maintain. rolleyes.gif Time for my pills.

Hi Michael,

Jakey from Fife here long, long time no see.

I know just what you're getting at there, bet we're both thinking of the same person. lol

Derek

Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

Hi Michael,

Jakey from Fife here long, long time no see.

I know just what you're getting at there, bet we're both thinking of the same person. lol

Derek

Good to hear from you!! And I bet we are! shades.gif

Social source share

C L Blast a great fave of mine - intro has me running for the floor - whether dancer or not most can't help their bodys doing some of that swaying stuff :thumbsup: one record I managed to keep hold of when last collection was forced to go - seems to be having lot's of plays at mo wink.gif

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

This shouldn't be anymore than £20 like Pikey's Dog says but I've seen at £30 and £40. It's a pretty common record and it's had spins for years. Recently got a copy back and played it out.

YES I AGREE WITH THAT ,THE FLIP WAS INITIALLY A SOUL ESSENCE SPIN AND IM WHAT CAN I DO WAS AN OLD STAFFORD SPIN.LOVE THE FLIP EVEN MORE TO BE HONEST .

BAZ A.

PS WAS THIS RELEASED ON BRITISH STAX ,KNOW IT GOT A US STAX RELEASE.

Social source share

YES I AGREE WITH THAT ,THE FLIP WAS INITIALLY A SOUL ESSENCE SPIN AND IM WHAT CAN I DO WAS AN OLD STAFFORD SPIN.LOVE THE FLIP EVEN MORE TO BE HONEST .

BAZ A.

PS WAS THIS RELEASED ON BRITISH STAX ,KNOW IT GOT A US STAX RELEASE.

Think your getting your tracks mixed up...

Double Up - C.L. Blast - U.S. Stax / U.S. Hip

No Uk release.

Social source share

Not as far as I'm aware, none of the guides list it and I've never seen one.... i'd like one if it did.

No UK releases for C L Blast on Stax - just checked through the listing.

"What Can I Do" came out on two different labels on United - more common? Blue issue and rarer? Yellow issue.

Social source share

Hi Neil superb record and played at the Saints Club many years ago, remember vividly Robbo coming up to me and asking "what the F**K was that". Used to be able to pick it up for a fiver as no one really wanted to know it.

It has always had the potential to be big record IMHO just needs more DJ's to get behind it. You're right, Robbo always features it, Karl played it last night in the DDA room at Lowton and it filled the floor so maybe £20 - £40 would be fair today but who knows tomorrow.

Baz. I remember it from way back then in Knowsley road. Dont know why i bought mine. Cant even remember when or where. it never realy done it for me. Its like a lot of records at the moment just because certain DJ,s are playing it. IT MUST BE GOOD shades.gif Cat and pigeons etc

Steve

Social source share

Baz. I remember it from way back then in Knowsley road. Dont know why i bought mine. Cant even remember when or where. it never realy done it for me. Its like a lot of records at the moment just because certain DJ,s are playing it. IT MUST BE GOOD :shades: Cat and pigeons etc

Steve

got to agree there mate,its one i can take or leave [the flip is good though]but different bag completely.Hope your well Steve.

BAZ A.

Social source share

Baz. I remember it from way back then in Knowsley road. Dont know why i bought mine. Cant even remember when or where. it never realy done it for me. Its like a lot of records at the moment just because certain DJ,s are playing it. IT MUST BE GOOD :thumbsup: Cat and pigeons etc

Steve

You've a very pessimistic outlook their Steve :shades: I can only speak for myself - I go on the record it's self - whether I like it or not - a record is not good just because a certain DJ plays it - like wise it's not rubbish cause they don't either :D

Karen

Social source share

The record's been around for yonks and is one of those quality sounds that will always stay on top whoever plays it.

It's a f****n belter !!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert