Savannah International Records

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Only two releases that I'm aware of Russ and both are by Willie Johnson.

Respect / These Arms of Mine

What I'm Going To Do (Without Your Love) / It's Me

The first are covers of Otis Reddings classics, but the second release contains two original sides.

What I'm Going To Do is a blinding early 80's dancer and the flip (It's Me) is SUPERB deep!

:thumbsup:

Best

Sean

Social source share

Only two releases that I'm aware of Russ and both are by Willie Johnson.

Respect / These Arms of Mine

What I'm Going To Do (Without Your Love) / It's Me

The first are covers of Otis Reddings classics, but the second release contains two original sides.

What I'm Going To Do is a blinding early 80's dancer and the flip (It's Me) is SUPERB deep!

:thumbsup:

Best

Sean

Hey, Sean to the rescue again !!!!. Thank you. I thought that there were only two, but wasnt sure, in fact Respect also got released with the same flip on another GA label too, label has slipped my mind right now. I spent the weekend in Savannah & due to a great tip from Dave T (thank you) managed to find three copies of the 'What Im going To Do'. Whilst chatting with a local also found Willie Johnson about three blocks away !!!!!. Hopefully will be speaking with him at greater length shortly. The label design is brilliant for such a small label. Also the production on these sides for such a tiny label is fantastic, makes you wonder why some of the bigger labels at the time relied so heavily on that nasty synth.

Has the WIGTD ever had any plays Sean ????.

You are the oracle mate..........thank you for your reply.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

I have "What i'm gonna do" and like it but the girly chant backing vocals aren't great.... would be better if something else happened at that point. Willie J does a cracking job on lead vocals.

Seems to be fetching about $75 on ebay now so getting some attention.

Social source share

It's fantastic news that you've tracked down Willie J, Russ.

Please tell him he has quite a few fans on this side of the Atlantic. I think he's the single greatest 'unknown' soul singer I can think of, bar none.

Agree Gareth.

Russ.. you really need to check out the flipside of the WIGDWYL 45... "It's Me" is an unbelievable deepie! Simply one of the best!

Also... his incredible 45 on CAT "It's Got To BE Tonight" is ESSENTIAL SOUL!

All the best mate

And do say hi to Willie for me too!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Agree Gareth.

Russ.. you really need to check out the flipside of the WIGDWYL 45... "It's Me" is an unbelievable deepie! Simply one of the best!

All the best mate

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Ive been really digging 'Its Me' & playing it to death..........I will pass all your good wishes onto Willie too.

Russ

Social source share

Agree Gareth.

All the best mate

:boxing:

Sean

As much as I like "it's me" I would go as far to say this is his weakest deep soul side. So that just backs up even more how good all the other sides are.

By another lesser artist "it's me" could well have been the best record they ever made but with WJ it has some very stiff competition.

Social source share

I have just spoken with Willie Johnson about 10 mins ago. Fantastic guy, I passed on regards & thanks from all his fans in the UK & around the world for his small but fantastic body of work.

I can also confirm that Willie Johnson & Willie E Johnson are one & the same person. The Checker LP 'Listen to The Morning Stars of Savannah' was his first ever recording, I beleive in 1962 (?). The 'True Spirit' LP by the Rev Willie E Johnson is also one & the same.

Unfortunately WJ has no records left. He did have a gospel CD out about 5 yrs, which was his last recording.

WJ remembers the Stevedors 45, he sang lead & it was his group. He has lost touch with the other group members most of which are now passed on.

If anyone would like me to ask WJ any questions etc pse PM me & I will do my bets to pass them on to him.

Can anyone pse post some sound files of Willies recordings pse.

Russ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert