Folk/soul Crossover

Guest MBarrett

Guest MBarrett

Seems the least likely of crossovers but mention of Bob Dylan in another thread got me thinking.

Covers of Blowin' in the Wind by:

Edwin Hawkins

Etta James

Johnny Nash

Sam Cooke

Stevie Wonder

Supremes

Covers of Mr. Tambourine Man by:

Stevie Wonder

Little Anthony and the Imperials

Johnny Johnson & the Bandwagon

Another Dylan track was in my head but it's gone again!!

Then there's the Weavers' If I had a Hammer - covered by all and sundry inc.:

Aretha Franklin

Billy Preston

Martha & the Vandellas

Sam Cooke

Four Tops

A lot of these covers I think from the 60's when people weren't quite so "precious" about the different musical genres.

Any more?????????????

MB

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Seems the least likely of crossovers but mention of Bob Dylan in another thread got me thinking.

Covers of Blowin' in the Wind by:

Edwin Hawkins

Etta James

Johnny Nash

Sam Cooke

Stevie Wonder

Supremes

Covers of Mr. Tambourine Man by:

Stevie Wonder

Little Anthony and the Imperials

Johnny Johnson & the Bandwagon

Another Dylan track was in my head but it's gone again!!

Then there's the Weavers' If I had a Hammer - covered by all and sundry inc.:

Aretha Franklin

Billy Preston

Martha & the Vandellas

Sam Cooke

Four Tops

A lot of these covers I think from the 60's when people weren't quite so "precious" about the different musical genres.

Any more?????????????

MB

The Four Tops - " If I Were A Carpenter " ( Tim Hardin )

Spyder Turner " I Can't Make It Anymore " ( Gordon Lightfoot )

Malc Burton

Social source share

ahaar, but they all be shyte.

The FT is absolute pony , but the ST cover of the GL song is OK , as opposed to the Richie Havens version , which shamefully has been known to be played on the scene ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

is richie havens being ruled out 'cos he wore a kaftan & opened woodstock?

as far as 'blowin' in the wind' is concerned, black artists recorded it 'cos it expressed hope for them in times of segregation, mavis staples said as much in scorsese's dylan biopic. it also spurred sam cooke on to write 'a change is gonna come', an amazing song. if some of you think that otis had a limit range vocal range, perhaps you should give it a another listen. it makes my hair stand on end every time, which is what I think this music is all about. in short, I don't think this was a case of genre jumping, but rather a case of singing songs that had to be sung.

Social source share

shamefully :lol::no::thumbsup:

get over yourself :huh:

Don't know about shamefully but it is bloody awful compared to Spyder Turner's version and just because it's an alternative version of something well known doesn't mean it should be inflicted on people. Nice reciord in it's own right but not in a N.S. context. In my opinion.

Social source share

Guest soulville

You can always rely on Pete to keep you right on whats allowed. More blinkered that Shergar in a tunnel :o)

Lovin the 70s mix, Nights sounding great one of the first 70s records I bought...............and Love Factory jumping, nad being realigned old styleee..........canny beat the vinyl :o)

George

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

is richie havens being ruled out 'cos he wore a kaftan & opened woodstock?

as far as 'blowin' in the wind' is concerned, black artists recorded it 'cos it expressed hope for them in times of segregation, mavis staples said as much in scorsese's dylan biopic. it also spurred sam cooke on to write 'a change is gonna come', an amazing song. if some of you think that otis had a limit range vocal range, perhaps you should give it a another listen. it makes my hair stand on end every time, which is what I think this music is all about. in short, I don't think this was a case of genre jumping, but rather a case of singing songs that had to be sung.

The Staple Singers also cut Bob's "Masters Of War" and "A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall", and were very quick to realise that, even at a relatively early stage in his career, he was already one of the most important writers of any generation.

I know people often debate the merits of Bob on here, but whatever anyone thinks of his singing, his early songwriting is incomparable. He also wrote "Oxford Town" about James Meredith and "The Death Of Emmett Till" about, er, Emmett Till - two young African Americans who were killed simply for the 'crime' of being black. One of his most moving social commentaries is "The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll", about a black woman murdered by a white man for little more than sport. Even in the 70s, Bob felt strongly enough about percieved wrongdoing to African Americans to write "George Jackson" and "Hurricane".

The benefits of being Bob Dylan meant that he could get these songs in front of a general public that might not have listened quite so intently, had the messages been written and performed by black artists....

Social source share

The Staple Singers also cut Bob's "Masters Of War"

Possibly one of the worst songs ever written.

Beg your pardon. Wrong song. The one I'm thinking about is the one about the 1st world war, 2nd world war, vietnam etc

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Possibly one of the worst songs ever written.

Beg your pardon. Wrong song. The one I'm thinking about is the one about the 1st world war, 2nd world war, vietnam etc

That's "With God On Our Side" - a lyric somewhat more compelling in its message than "There's A Starman Waiting In the Sky, He'd Like To Come And See Us But He Thinks He'd Blow Our Minds", or "Ziggy Played Guitar, Jamming Good (eh?) With Wierd and Gilly" or what unquestionably IS the worst song ever written: "Let's Dance! Put On Your Red Shoes And Dance The Blues...Under The Moonlight, The Serious Moonlight"...

...what was that fellow on, and don't give me any of it! :lol::(:thumbsup:wicked.gif:lol:

Social source share

Good topic...I like my folk and my soul..No people sitting on the fence with Richie Havens :lol: ..I love it Malc and aint gonna feel ashamed at all.... :(:thumbsup:

Trying times...Roberta Flack...Folk/Jazz/soul..kind of thing,i love this type of tune,so deep and hits my soul big time..So many more,good topic indeed...

TerryCallier...Folk/jazz /soul crossover on many of his tunes..What colour is love thumbsup.gif:lol::P a great album for me....

Each to there own and all that...Many records that get listed as soul are deeply lacking in soul for me...

Peace and Love........ :lol:

Social source share

That's "With God On Our Side" - a lyric somewhat more compelling in its message than "There's A Starman Waiting In the Sky, He'd Like To Come And See Us But He Thinks He'd Blow Our Minds", or "Ziggy Played Guitar, Jamming Good (eh?) With Wierd and Gilly" or what unquestionably IS the worst song ever written: "Let's Dance! Put On Your Red Shoes And Dance The Blues...Under The Moonlight, The Serious Moonlight"...

...what was that fellow on, and don't give me any of it! :thumbsup::wicked::lol::wicked::wicked:

Have to agree about Lets Dance but Starman and Ziggy are classics and you can't discuss the merits of Dylans lyrics vs Bowie's because that would be like comparing say Oscar Wilde to L Ron Hubbard, totally different areas of writing. Dylans come up with some crackers too. Everybody must get stoned. He's sh*t.

Social source share

The goalposts that define a NS context seem to move at every opportunity! Best off out of there. I like the Richie Havens version. Infact I think I prefer it to the Spyder Turner version, although that might be just because it is not as familiar. Mind you, I am first and foremost an armchair soul fan, so its usually deep soul, folk and jazz on my (single) deck anyway.

I suppose one that hasn't been mentioned as yet is that pop/soul/folk (or what ever pond you want to throw it in) record by Barbara Dane, I'm On My Way. I much prefer Mahalia Jackson's version. Then again, isn't Gospel folk music anyway?

Social source share

...what was that fellow on, and don't give me any of it! :thumbsup::wicked::lol::wicked::wicked:

Just remind me, weren't you the man who claimed that Syd Barrett was a better writer than Bowie after composing 2 decent songs and a bunch of nursery rhymes? :yes:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

you can't discuss the merits of Dylans lyrics vs Bowie's because that would be like comparing say Oscar Wilde to L Ron Hubbard, totally different areas of writing.

Aw, Pete, you know I'd never compare a genius like Bob to a journeyman. And anyway, even Bob's entitled to an off day here and there. At least his fans can say, with no degree of falsehood, that he's still writing some brilliant stuff when he pust his mind to it. Don't think your bloke can make that claim about anything that he's written since the mid 70s? :thumbsup:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Aw, Pete, you know I'd never compare a genius like Bob to a journeyman. And anyway, even Bob's entitled to an off day here and there. At least his fans can say, with no degree of falsehood, that he's still writing some brilliant stuff when he pust his mind to it. Don't think your bloke can make that claim about anything that he's written since the mid 70s? :thumbsup:

It's alright saying he can write songs but he can't sing. He's never been able to sing. Which alienates people (well, me) straight away and makes me reach for the off button as soon as I hear his nasal whining.

His radio shows are absolutely fantastic though - like you told us they would be. Genius.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert