Please Help, Tyree Davis

Have this on a CD "Sound Of The Grapevine vol.1" and its great :) ! (as is the CD)

But I can´t find the booklet and I´m wondering if this was released on vinyl in any format?

Came to think about when I saw the southern sounds thread, this sounds like it was recorded down south somewhere.

TIA

Martin

ps Who is or was Jody? Seem to her name in quite a few song titles across the boad :wicked::ohmy: ... ds

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

ps Who is or was Jody? Seem to her name in quite a few song titles across the boad :ohmy::) ... ds

Jody tends to be the other person / man / woman in a three way love affair.

Johnnie Taylor's "Jody Got Your Girl And Gone" "Don't Talk About Jody" "Standing In For Jody" etc. and certainly a 'Southern Soul thing!'

I always think, see the name Jody in a title... buy the record!

See 'Johhnie Taylor' as the artist... certainly get that one too!

Pretty Good advice I reckon.

:wicked:

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

ps Who is or was Jody? Seem to her name in quite a few song titles across the boad :wicked::ohmy: ... ds

Goes back into black culture / history, where Jody was a spiv like character, and is basically a guy that steals your woman from you while you are away (at work, at war etc.). lot's of Jody records came out during the Vietnam war.

Social source share

Yes, this is a 45, from North Carolina:

Metrolina Soul MS 1-001 Big X & The Nighthawks "Do The Click Clack"/ Tyree Davis "I'm Leaving You In Jody's Hands"

Very hard to find these days, I would have thought. I personally love this record, although I know some aren't so sure. I would be interested to hear others' opinions if someone would be kind enough to post a soundfile. It's a bit amateurish and derivative, but I like the energy and feel of the song.

Social source share

Thanks, problably hard to value a record like this but has anyone got a clue on price?

I personally love it! :thumbsup:

Yes, this is a 45, from North Carolina:

Metrolina Soul MS 1-001 Big X & The Nighthawks "Do The Click Clack"/ Tyree Davis "I'm Leaving You In Jody's Hands"

Very hard to find these days, I would have thought. I personally love this record, although I know some aren't so sure. I would be interested to hear others' opinions if someone would be kind enough to post a soundfile. It's a bit amateurish and derivative, but I like the energy and feel of the song.

Social source share

Ah Jody, the perennial 'backdoor man'.....think Kenny's the English equivalent innit? :thumbsup: .....ooo you bloomin' heartbreaker you... :lol: ......... :lol:

Edited by DelTee
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Goes back into black culture / history, where Jody was a spiv like character, and is basically a guy that steals your woman from you while you are away (at work, at war etc.). lot's of Jody records came out during the Vietnam war.

This expands a bit on Steve's excellent, concise posting. I just stole it off the information superhighway - I knew about "Jody Ryder" having his origins in "Joe The Grinder" but I was interetsed in the "Jody Calls" bit, which I hadn't realised before....

Ain't no use in going home

Jody's got your girl and gone

Gonna get a three-day pass

Just to kick old Jody's ass.

Anyone who has seen a movie about the U.S. Army has heard soldiers chanting and singing as they march or run. These chants or cadences are called jodies or jody calls, after a character in many of the songs. The character Jody is a civilian who has stolen the affections of the soldier's sweetheart back home.

"The military use of jody call and the sense of jody meaning a civilian of draft age date to World War II and were introduced to the U.S. Army by African-American soldiers. Jody is a clipping of the name of Joe the Grinder, a slightly older character in jazz and blues mythology.

"Joe the Grinder is the name of mythical ladies man in blues tunes who seduces the wives and sweethearts of prisoners and soldiers. He's also known as Joe De Grinder and Joe D. Grinder. The term dates to at least 1939. Grinder is from an old slang verb, to grind, meaning to copulate (1647-present)." -from WordOrigins.org

Social source share

Thanks, problably hard to value a record like this but has anyone got a clue on price?

I personally love it! smile.gif

same sorta thing here. love the record and been after a copy for a quite a time now.

it's GBP100 in tim brown's PG.

any other opinions on price?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert