Guest woolie mark

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

just bin listening to it off a website - is it me, or is it a different mix?

It's you. we used excatly the same tape that has been used on every previous issue of this track...

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

It's you. we used excatly the same tape that has been used on every previous issue of this track...

maybe it's my computer blush.gif

i was thinking....it would be interesting to hear what some contemporary producers could do remixing something like "house for sale" though - even if you only kept the vocals, it couldn't fail but to be fabulous

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

maybe it's my computer :lol:

i was thinking....it would be interesting to hear what some contemporary producers could do remixing something like "house for sale" though - even if you only kept the vocals, it couldn't fail but to be fabulous

...And why on earth would anyone feel they could do anything to remix "House For Sale" that would make it better than it already is? Didn't Millie and her producers get it spot on first time? I can think of a lot of things a Y2K remix couldn't fail to be, but fabulous isn't one of them.

Social source share

...And why on earth would anyone feel they could do anything to remix "House For Sale" that would make it better than it already is? Didn't Millie and her producers get it spot on first time? I can think of a lot of things a Y2K remix couldn't fail to be, but fabulous isn't one of them.

Just listened to clip on Crazy Beat - DEFINITELY a different mix than the original 7" UK release on Spring.

Seem to think this version was issued previously on a Kent/Spring CD some years back.

Edited by epic
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Just listened to clip on Crazy Beat - DEFINITELY a different mix than the original 7" UK release on Spring.

Seem to think this version was issued previously on a Kent/Spring CD some years back.

...You might try listening to an actual record, instead of some ridiculously compressed clip on a website!

Didn't I just tell you that we used excatly the same tape that has been used to master all previous issues of this track, including the original UK Spring 45? There is no alternate mix of "House For Sale", other than the instrumental backing track which I recently prepared for release as a 'bonus track' on one of Ace's recently released 'expanded editions' of selected Millie CDs.

As my learned friend Mr. Mooney just said, if it ain't broke, why fix it? Spring never made an alternate mix of "House..." in the 70s or 80s (why would they, it was only an album track in the USA!) and nor has Ace, since the company bought Spring in the 1990s. If your or anyone else's ears are telling you otherwise, then your ears are wrong. Simple as that, really.

Subject closed, I hope.

Social source share

Guest Darks

I can't be certain , but I'm pretty sure that the album version is a different mix , anyone confirm ? Best ,Eddie

I've always thought the LP and single were different, but can't remember why! If I can find my single I'll confirm. A perfect record that needs no tinkering.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

it's entirely possible that the 'different mix' is just the different mastering for the lp and 45. for example, the 45's of 'midnight affair' by sandra wright and 'free' by james mason sound quite different to the lp versions, but they are not actually different mixes. a lot can me changed during a record cut,

cheers Sutty

Social source share

I got the UK 45 first and when I picked up the American album which included said track I was quite suprised (and a little bit excited if I'm honest....) to discover the LP cut seemed much smoother and less beefy (if that makes any sense).

So does that mean the northern DJ's who first played the track way back on its release did so as an album cut? And then due to demand it was released in the UK as a single.

Still a great great track.

derek

Social source share

the 45's of 'midnight affair' by sandra wright and 'free' by james mason sound quite different to the lp versions, but they are not actually different mixes. a lot can me changed during a record cut,

I agree with the whole "it could be the mastering" that makes the Millie Jackson tune sound different but:

The LP and 45 versions of Sandra Wright's "Midnight Affair" are definitely different takes. The vocal phrasing is different and no mastering job could've affected that.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest woolie mark

...You might try listening to an actual record, instead of some ridiculously compressed clip on a website!

Didn't I just tell you that we used excatly the same tape that has been used to master all previous issues of this track, including the original UK Spring 45? There is no alternate mix of "House For Sale", other than the instrumental backing track which I recently prepared for release as a 'bonus track' on one of Ace's recently released 'expanded editions' of selected Millie CDs.

As my learned friend Mr. Mooney just said, if it ain't broke, why fix it? Spring never made an alternate mix of "House..." in the 70s or 80s (why would they, it was only an album track in the USA!) and nor has Ace, since the company bought Spring in the 1990s. If your or anyone else's ears are telling you otherwise, then your ears are wrong. Simple as that, really.

Subject closed, I hope.

whats with the bad-attitude tony? are you training to be a hoodie or something? i'll have you know that i work for the council and i have the authority to serve an asbo on you!

whistling.gif

anyway, i've just listened to the clip on the crazy beat website again and it deffo sounds a different arrangement to me (smoother and less beefy is a good way to decribe it derek)

if it is the LP cut and it's different to the UK 7" "reissue" (the LP track is the "orginal", cos the 7" was bunged out opportunously only because of popularity on the northern scene) then this is a positive promotional point for kent records

i used to work in record promotions, and i know that i could take a lot more orders from dealers if i could tell them "it's the original version played on the northern scene in the 1970s which has never before been available on a 45" than if i said "it's a reissue of an easily available £5 record" if there are two versions btw, a double-sided 7" would be a really unique item imho

i disagree that there's no merit in reworking classic vintage records - recent reworks of move on up and haven't you heard for example have been very popular and have motivated young people to take an interest is hunting down the original records and finding out more about similar music (slippery slope, some might say) also, i've recently bought 12" remixes of richie havens' going back to my roots and lee mcdonald's we've only just begun - both of these are absolutely fantastic, whether or not they are better or not than the wonderful original versions doesn't come into it

cool nuh, easy nuh :thumbsup:

Social source share

whats with the bad-attitude tony? are you training to be a hoodie or something? i'll have you know that i work for the council and i have the authority to serve an asbo on you!

whistling.gif

anyway, i've just listened to the clip on the crazy beat website again and it deffo sounds a different arrangement to me (smoother and less beefy is a good way to decribe it derek)

if it is the LP cut and it's different to the UK 7" "reissue" (the LP track is the "orginal", cos the 7" was bunged out opportunously only because of popularity on the northern scene) then this is a positive promotional point for kent records

i used to work in record promotions, and i know that i could take a lot more orders from dealers if i could tell them "it's the original version played on the northern scene in the 1970s which has never before been available on a 45" than if i said "it's a reissue of an easily available £5 record" if there are two versions btw, a double-sided 7" would be a really unique item imho

i disagree that there's no merit in reworking classic vintage records - recent reworks of move on up and haven't you heard for example have been very popular and have motivated young people to take an interest is hunting down the original records and finding out more about similar music (slippery slope, some might say) also, i've recently bought 12" remixes of richie havens' going back to my roots and lee mcdonald's we've only just begun - both of these are absolutely fantastic, whether or not they are better or not than the wonderful original versions doesn't come into it

cool nuh, easy nuh :thumbsup:

Tony - my ears - my computer - my deck - my mp3 player all work fine - I even accept peoples apologies humbly :thumbsup: - there is DEFINITELY at least two different mixes.

Over to you Tone.

Social source share

Subject closed, I hope.

Don't ya just love it when someone ends up with eggy-weg on their fizz-og?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

So does that mean the northern DJ's who first played the track way back on its release did so as an album cut? And then due to demand it was released in the UK as a single.

Still a great great track.

derek

That's exactly right. "House For Sale" was played exclusively from the album at Blackpool Mecca. The single was only released following later wider demand. The UK album was also released before the single I believe, and is perhaps a longer cut, though I don't have the single to compare it with.

(The same thing happened with Jr. Walker's "I Ain't Going Nowhere", Robert Knight's "Branded", George Clinton Band etc.)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

That's exactly right. "House For Sale" was played exclusively from the album at Blackpool Mecca. The single was only released following later wider demand. The UK album was also released before the single I believe, and is perhaps a longer cut, though I don't have the single to compare it with.

(

Hello Mel , I've just played my Ace CD " Free and in love " by Millie Jackson , and " House for sale " clocks in at 4.03 .Best Wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

I agree with the whole "it could be the mastering" that makes the Millie Jackson tune sound different but:

The LP and 45 versions of Sandra Wright's "Midnight Affair" are definitely different takes. The vocal phrasing is different and no mastering job could've affected that.

i disagree sebastian, the single is almost mastered in mono and has changed the sound of the track, and the 45 also sounds slightly faster, maybe notched up a quartertone which is not uncommon, but it's the same recording to my ears, certainly from the 45 and lp i've owned. the drums are way back on the 45 for instance and the vocal sounds more 'intense', and the 45 is slightly 'muddier' due to the cut. i've been in cutting rooms many times and witnessed the surprising changes that can be made to a track during the mastering.

cheers Sutty

Social source share

To finally put this to bed I think we are all agreed (apart from Mr Rounce) that whether the tune has been remixed - remastered - recut - redubbed - rejigged - been cleaned with Jif & a brillo pad - it DEFINITELY sounds different.

Here endeth the lesson.

Social source share

To add to the comments above, think Millie's " House For Sale " as released on the AUSSIE issued POLYDOR LP is again a little different to all the abovementioned takes ... :thumbsup:

It's that different in Australia it's called "There's Some Real Estate In The Outback I May Consider Selling - Sport" (Rolf "Quentin" Harris Mix) wicked.gif

Social source share

i disagree sebastian, the single is almost mastered in mono and has changed the sound of the track, and the 45 also sounds slightly faster, maybe notched up a quartertone which is not uncommon, but it's the same recording to my ears, certainly from the 45 and lp i've owned. the drums are way back on the 45 for instance and the vocal sounds more 'intense', and the 45 is slightly 'muddier' due to the cut. i've been in cutting rooms many times and witnessed the surprising changes that can be made to a track during the mastering.

cheers Sutty

Mastering can make tracks sound (and feel) quite different - to the point that some people think they are listening to a different mix.

Converting stereo channels to mono can have quite an effect on some tracks (especially "wide" stereo recordings with some instruments panned far right or left in the mix) and of course radical EQ and dynamic compresssion can change the entire "feel" of the mix, boosting particular instruments or voices and adding more punch etc.

And in some tracks certain instruments can actually be lost when converted from stereo to mono.

In many cases album tracks were compressed and mastered louder for release as 7" singles. The general aim was to have a stronger presence for radio broadcast.

These days the emphasis is on extreme compression and limiting to give higher levels (the loudness wars attitude) and the most common result is tracks with clipped peaks and distortion.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

The vocal takes on the Demon LP and Truth 45 version of "Midnight Affair" are definitely different and I will demonstrate it by posting an MP3 clip below where I've taken the same section (1:08-1:18) from first the 45 version and then the LP version (the backing track play at the exact same speed on both versions). Listen to the way she holds the "oooohh" wail on the different takes, on the first one she holds right through it and on the second there's a dip halfway through it. And "affair" is pronounciated very differently on the two takes. There are even different lyrics, in the clip from the 45 Sandra sings "we're gonna have a midnight", in the clip from the LP she sings "talkin' 'bout a midnight". Have a listen.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Can I just confuse this thread even more, and recommend Millie Jackson "This Is It" (7") for your consideration? The overly long and unnecessarily "rude" intro featured on the album is removed, leaving a great soulful mid-tempo dancer - which someone really should play out somewhere, sometime!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert