Does This Record Actually Exist?

Pete S

The Camp - Marching - Scepter

Is this a real record i.e. was it released and not just an unissued track? I know the vocal was unissued until it came out on a Kent cd but I don't ever remember seeing a copy of The Camp for sale, or even a scan.

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

JM has it in his 4th guide. Scepter 12159. Flip is "Long, long trail" The guide also suggests it may have been either booted or re-issued using the original label name. At £500 value, must have been booted? Also appears in the Sceptre discography

Social source share

i bought a tate years ago with no label and ellingtons destined to become a loser on the other side,its always cold as theres that much metal in it and its that thick!

Edited by bazw
Social source share

• 4 months later...

Here it is then, paid around £140 for this yesterday, amazed to see it's an issue and not a demo so someone actually bought a copy! Still the first time I've ever seen it, I've had a lot of rare records, I remember it took me nearly 30 years to find a Matt Lucas, this one's also 30 years worth of looking

post-1893-1187638929_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Trevski

One went on eBay yesterday, £137. That was you then Pete!

Was tempted myself, but the VG put me off. Let us know how it sounds when you get it!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Thats on Ebay at the moment isn't it?

Seeing this boot got me thinking, were boots booted, so to speak, in the boot boom time 70's ?

Reason i ask is i can remember that being up on the sales board in Magpie records Worcester with a coloured lable (think it was yellow or green) & that happened a lot with other sounds too. For instance 'Evie Sands - Picture Me Gone' is in JM's guide as being a boot of the white dj lable yet the one doing the rounds in Worcester was Green ! As i said this seemed to happen with quite a few others too.

Anyone ?

Social source share

One went on eBay yesterday, £137. That was you then Pete!

Was tempted myself, but the VG put me off. Let us know how it sounds when you get it!

=======

shit ...not been on ebay for a few days..one missing from the fluff's wigan box!

plus i actuallly like the record..

Social source share

Guest Trevski

And does it sound like the boots, mainly backing track with the vocals in there very low in the background?

Yup, basicaly the backing track and backing singers, with Val Simpson's lead removed. There is a 'listen' on the ebay page.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Seeing this boot got me thinking, were boots booted, so to speak, in the boot boom time 70's ?

Reason i ask is i can remember that being up on the sales board in Magpie records Worcester with a coloured lable (think it was yellow or green) & that happened a lot with other sounds too. For instance 'Evie Sands - Picture Me Gone' is in JM's guide as being a boot of the white dj lable yet the one doing the rounds in Worcester was Green ! As i said this seemed to happen with quite a few others too.

Anyone ?

Talking of 'Camp', how camp is Ferguson's pose in your avatar, Bogue? Pink tie, too. Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

And does it sound like the boots, mainly backing track with the vocals in there very low in the background?

Yes you can just about here small snippets of the original vocal, my guess is that it will all depend on the A side - they probably needed something to throw on the B side. Wonder what the A side sounds like? Anyway should be here by the end of the week.

Social source share

=======

shit ...not been on ebay for a few days..one missing from the fluff's wigan box!

plus i actuallly like the record..

I love it, I bought Soul Sam's dj copy off him (which was an emi with the horrendous Bill Pursell track on the other side) at Newcastle Tiffs...Mark start saving your money, you can buy this one off me in a week or two, I just wanted to be able to say I'd seen it and had a copy.

Social source share

Here it is then, paid around £140 for this yesterday, amazed to see it's an issue and not a demo so someone actually bought a copy! Still the first time I've ever seen it, I've had a lot of rare records, I remember it took me nearly 30 years to find a Matt Lucas, this one's also 30 years worth of looking

post-1893-1187638929_thumb.jpg

Hi Pete

Well done Mate, never seen one ever.

Until Now.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Talking of 'Camp', how camp is Ferguson's pose in your avatar, Bogue? Pink tie, too. Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

Taken when we played Millwall in the cup Tony, he thought if you can't beat em, join em :thumbsup:

Anyway, he's not do'ing camp ! he's do'ing 'Bemused' bemused as how we could get beat by a bunch of Sven men who have only played together once !

Back to the original question, was serious, the Evie Sands one i mentioned was a Cameo dj copy with the pic & everything, but in green. & as i said there were others.

I was under the impression that most of these boots were from the states, but was someone booting them locally too ? (apart from the obvious Soul Sound & Ootp's)

Could be just that i'm relying on JM's boot guide being 100% right ? when to be fair he has never said that & is feverishly working away at updating it.

One thing though, at least you could tell that they 'were' boots !

Social source share

:rolleyes:

Taken when we played Millwall in the cup Tony, he thought if you can't beat em, join em :thumbsup:

Anyway, he's not do'ing camp ! he's do'ing 'Bemused' bemused as how we could get beat by a bunch of Sven men who have only played together once !

Back to the original question, was serious, the Evie Sands one i mentioned was a Cameo dj copy with the pic & everything, but in green. & as i said there were others.

I was under the impression that most of these boots were from the states, but was someone booting them locally too ? (apart from the obvious Soul Sound & Ootp's)

Could be just that i'm relying on JM's boot guide being 100% right ? when to be fair he has never said that & is feverishly working away at updating it.

One thing though, at least you could tell that they 'were' boots !

The Evie Sands pressing is green mate. Styrene, stuck on label.

Social source share

Usually at this point John Manship comes in with "I've checked the files and we had 3 copies in the 3 years and they sold for X amount", I'd have been really interested to know if copies of this had passed through your hands John, stock or demo, I really think this is one of the rarer records I've had in a long time

Social source share

Just to bring this up to date for anyone who's still following it.

The A side of this record is called Long Long Trail and it sounds as if it's a TV theme - it's a slow paced Western type instrumental and is quite honestly a candidate for the worst record ever made. There are no composer credits, which is very strange. It bears no relation to the Marching side, and has different publishers, producers etc. So why the Marching track actually came out and appeared on this record will probably remain a mystery, but you have to say well done to whoever discovered it because after that A side, I wouldn't have held out much hope for the other side.

Social source share

Just to bring this up to date for anyone who's still following it.

The A side of this record is called Long Long Trail and it sounds as if it's a TV theme - it's a slow paced Western type instrumental and is quite honestly a candidate for the worst record ever made. There are no composer credits, which is very strange. It bears no relation to the Marching side, and has different publishers, producers etc. So why the Marching track actually came out and appeared on this record will probably remain a mystery, but you have to say well done to whoever discovered it because after that A side, I wouldn't have held out much hope for the other side.

Hi Pete

Thanks for the Update, a rare find Indeed.

I love it when there's a discovery like this.

It proves that other copies may just possibly still be out there,

and that all of the searching is worth it.

Once again, Well Done Mate. :ohmy:

Social source share

Usually at this point John Manship comes in with "I've checked the files and we had 3 copies in the 3 years and they sold for X amount", I'd have been really interested to know if copies of this had passed through your hands John, stock or demo, I really think this is one of the rarer records I've had in a long time

Checking our data it's says "John you're a twat for even looking"

I've had this record ONCE in my life. Think it was when Soul Sam was playing it at Cleethorpes, did I then sell it to Nev Wherry?....I can't remember...

It's is seriously VERY RARE, their are not many 45 we can honestly say we have only ever had one copy. "Thank The Lord For Love" instrumental is the only other 45 I recall that having once in my life but never seeing again..

Rest assured this 45 is the real-deal in the rarity league.

Social source share

I've had this record ONCE in my life. Think it was when Soul Sam was playing it at Cleethorpes, did I then sell it to Nev Wherry?....I can't remember...

Come on John, it was only around 29 years ago! :ohmy:

Sam was playing in the summer of 78, I have a tape of the 50th dayer at Notts Palais with him spinning it

Social source share

Checking our data it's says "John you're a twat for even looking"

It's is seriously VERY RARE, their are not many 45 we can honestly say we have only ever had one copy. "Thank The Lord For Love" instrumental is the only other 45 I recall that having once in my life but never seeing again..

Rest assured this 45 is the real-deal in the rarity league.

Thanks John. I thought it was a tough one. A good investment for my buyer then!

Social source share

Come on John, it was only around 29 years ago! :ohmy:

Sam was playing in the summer of 78, I have a tape of the 50th dayer at Notts Palais with him spinning it

1978 sounds about right, Notts Palais now that was a venue!

Social source share

I bet you loved that revolving dance floor!

Now you are jogging my memory, was it call the Bali Hai room or something similar, and at a certain time the dancefloor revolved. Absolutely crazy...cause we actually loved it!

Now I have to settle for 8 pints of Guiness and the village revolves round.

Social source share

Now you are jogging my memory, was it call the Bali Hai room or something similar, and at a certain time the dancefloor revolved. Absolutely crazy...cause we actually loved it!

Now I have to settle for 8 pints of Guiness and the village revolves round.

Yes John - I think it was called the Bali Hai. I was a young kid from rural lincolnshire at the time - and for some reason was intimidated by this "revolving" dance floor! The funk boys would be down there later on - used to sneak down and have a quick look. Never got on the fooker myself!!

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Now you are jogging my memory, was it call the Bali Hai room or something similar, and at a certain time the dancefloor revolved. d.

It was, John. I remember going to an all dayer upstairs and they were playing jazz funk downstairs; being partial to a bit of JF at the time I stuck my head through door but could only see eyes, teeth, whistles and air horns, due to the dodgy UV lighting, going around & around. After about 30 seconds somemone told me to f*** off back upstairs where you belong w*****!

Social source share

It was, John. I remember going to an all dayer upstairs and they were playing jazz funk downstairs; being partial to a bit of JF at the time I stuck my head through door but could only see eyes, teeth, whistles and air horns, due to the dodgy UV lighting, going around & around. After about 30 seconds somemone told me to f*** off back upstairs where you belong w*****!

.....and don't forget the hot pants and light sabres.....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert