This Is Northern Soul

Guest Simon

Guest Simon

med_gallery_287_10_47926.jpg

I know i shouldn't laugh & please feel free to pull any of my flyers apart but is this really gonna get them there youngsters along to NS dos in there droves?

There does seem to be a scary new trend of putting real people on flyers rather than cool looking black people from the 6ts.

Simon :lol:

P.S. No offence meant to anyone in this flyer or anyone involved in designing it, just made me chuckle that's all.

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest James Trouble

A wind up, surely? :lol:

Maybe Soulgirl should have a word. She does a decent flyer these days :lol:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Seems fair enough to me. Maybe that's the image they want? Live and let live i say. :lol:

The chap at the back has fallen asleep. :lol:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Seems fair enough to me. Maybe that's the image they want? Live and let live i say. :lol:

Yep and it's not like they're all old duffers ..

db_3471.gif

If so called 'old duffers' were done away with, there wouldn't be much of an NS scene imo. End of the day it's their 2nd anniversary, so they know what they're doing.

Understand flyers for a new venue should appeal to a broad audience etc. However respect still deserved for shall we call them established scene goers ..? :lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I bet they have some quality tunage though .. :lol:

I quite like the tune that plays when you go onto the "contact us" page on their website. I don't think I've heard that before, who is it? It rings a bell.

Looks like they put alot of effort into the club and the promotion though, so no offence ment. But like Simon, I'm just not quite sure what the flyer is saying to people. :lol:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I quite like the tune that plays when you go onto the "contact us" page on their website. I don't think I've heard that before, who is it? It rings a bell.

Edit - ed

Connie Austin - She Made A Mistake

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

"The Brothers - Are You Ready For This"

...unless you were having a giraffe! :lol:

On RCA? No it's not?! Holes in my brain :lol:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm just not quite sure what the flyer is saying to people. :lol:

I think it's obvious what it's saying James. I think what you mean is is not saying what you'd like it to say? If you get what i mean... :lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Edit - ed

Connie Austin - She Made A Mistake

That'll be the one. JB production no doubt. Cracking tune.

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

"The Brothers - Are You Ready For This"

...unless you were having a giraffe! :thumbsup:

I made the same mistake of not fully reading JTs thread - so I've revisited the 'Contact Us' page and pleased to hear something soulful! The Brothers does nothing for the Home Page though. First time round I exited the site as soon as I heard the opening bars to 'Are you ready for this' ............NOOOOOOOOO :lol:

Brian :lol:

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

What this tune has to do with soul is beyond me :lol: . Nothing more than a 'happy clappy' instrumental, why it gets onto soul DJs playlists I fail to understand. As soon as I logged on to the Bolton Soul Club website and heard the tune kick in the mouse pointer was straight on to the 'close' button - click, peace again :thumbsup: !!

Brian :lol:

That's what I thought as well, but thought I'd have a click around. Try the 'contact us' page. Just had it up full blast in the living room. Tuuuuune!

Social source share

I think it's obvious what it's saying James. I think what you mean is is not saying what you'd like it to say? If you get what i mean... :lol:

it's saying 'old soul music is now up there / down there with 'transport enthusiasm' and giant vegatable growing competitions in the scheme of coolness'. When you look back at the cool people who made the music, it is a bit of a shame that tradition hasn't survived along with the music. This just makes it look naff and takes it another step further towards working men's clubs and 'nostalgia' weekends at Butlins.

I happily tell anyone i'm into 60s soul and stuff, then they pick up this flyer...jesus.

Apart from all that, AND them not being very aesthetically appealing so a strange choice for a promotional image, I dont like flyers that celebrate the scene, and British soul culture, over the original music.

trouble, I think you should put a massive photo of yourself on the next Soul Revolution flyer though! :lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

it's saying 'old soul music is now up there / down there with 'transport enthusiasm' and giant vegatable growing competitions in the scheme of coolness'. When you look back at the cool people who made the music, it is a bit of a shame that tradition hasn't survived along with the music. This just makes it look naff and takes it another step further towards working men's clubs and 'nostalgia' weekends at Butlins.

I happily tell anyone i'm into 60s soul and stuff, then they pick up this flyer...jesus.

Apart from all that, AND them not being very aesthetically appealing so a strange choice for a promotional image, I dont like flyers that celebrate the scene, and British soul culture, over the original music.

trouble, I think you should put a massive photo of yourself on the next Soul Revolution flyer though! :lol:

How about this one?

_42726169_gal_dr_black_shock.jpg

f*** me, it'll be full of nerdy Doctor Who fans if you put me on the flyer!

Mik, I do think certain parts of the scene tradition are important, like we use the northern soul fist on the Revolution, For Dancers Only and You Know You Got Soul flyers. The whole 'keep the faith' thing is pretty powerful, and the scene is, after all, very important to alot of people including ourselfs. You have to respect where the scene has come from and what it means. But as you say this should not over shadow the music, which is after all more important than the scene, at least it is for most people, I hope, surely. That's the problem with flyers like this Bolton one. It puts the "Bolton Labour Club, home of northern soul" and pictures of the DJs over the music. It may not be ment like that, but that is how it looks. It's more of a celebration of the club and the patrons rather than the music. Aesthetics aside, that's what it says to me and I presume people who pick up the flyer.

But as I say it looks like they put alot of work into it, so no offence ment.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest rachel

How about this one?

_42726169_gal_dr_black_shock.jpg

f*** me, it'll be full of nerdy Doctor Who fans if you put me on the flyer!

That helmet suits you though James :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

huh.gif Someone been selling a job load of these mirrors where you miserable b******* who are moaning about thier poster live ? biggrin.gif

post-5566-1175708555_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

In the words of Roy Wright .... "Hook, Line & Sinker".... :lol:

Took the bait... and caught your attention?? - Isn't that what its all about?? - a last minute shout for this venue got you lot looking didnt it...... :lol:

Classic! Brilliant wind up. :D:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

and the best way you can always do flyers with pics is to add scans of original 45's that would make people look and go wow well it has done me but then i have been on the scene about 5 or so years now so i expect something different.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

med_gallery_287_10_47926.jpg

There does seem to be a scary new trend of putting real people on flyers rather than cool looking black people from the 6ts.

I've thought for a long time that most flyer designs for Northern Soul nights

are just damned LOUSY!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert