Cracked 45s

• Replies 41
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

is there a market for these.......?......i said to Guy H once ...."i must have more cracked 45s than anyone"......he said no I HAVE......i had to laff.......examples are Sinceres on Pzazz.....Sam Dees dj on Atlantic.......

Any good way to "repair" such 45s? Thats what I'd like to know.

Cheers Paul

PS Don"t wanna buy any .................sorry platters
wink.gif

Social source share

Touch of Venus......Champion DJ..full crack but ok...George Hughley....slight edge crack......Orientals one of those triangle cracks......slight crack on Marvellettes on Fontana...Joe Hicks......edge crack......i'm cracked up over you...... biggrin.gif i did some of these myself......you didnt realise you should treat them carefully back in the day......

Edited by platters 81
Social source share

i remember having Joanne Courcy on Twirl.....cracked and repaired with what looked like roofers felt!.....played ok and i got £100 for it.... on the subject of the Sam Dees 45......should i tape over the mono or stereo side?

Edited by platters 81
Social source share

A good way to mend them is to get a old fashioned razor blade and glue it to the other side with some of the 'airfix' type glue that 'melts' the vinyl a bit and does need much applying - no big bump and they lie flat on the turntable.

I've got two spare mint records that have cracks, but it doesn't effect their play

Otis Clay - the only way is up - Echoe

Charles Russel - it ain't easy - Psyche

Makes me wonder if they're work fixing as I don't know what I'd get for them, any ideas?

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

I've had a cracked Natural Four "I Thought You Were Mine" and a cracked Jack Montgomery "Dearly Beloved" in my box for over 20 years. Play them out often thanks to a Criss Cross of BLACK INSULATING TAPE on the flip.

Works like magic.

:lol:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

I've had a cracked Natural Four "I Thought You Were Mine" and a cracked Jack Montgomery "Dearly Beloved" in my box for over 20 years. Play them out often thanks to a Criss Cross of BLACK INSULATING TAPE on the flip.

Works like magic.

Sean

Wot no clicks? Or are we just talking "great for DJing" here?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

i remember having Joanne Courcy on Twirl.....cracked and repaired with what looked like roofers felt!.....played ok and i got £100 for it.... on the subject of the Sam Dees 45......should i tape over the mono or stereo side?

I've got on of those too, had it 25 years and played it out many times. :lol:

Social source share

is there a market for these.......?......i said to Guy H once ...."i must have more cracked 45s than anyone"......he said no I HAVE......i had to laff.......examples are Sinceres on Pzazz.....Sam Dees dj on Atlantic.......

I feel there has and always will be a place in life for a cheap crack :lol:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest Awake 502

I've got two spare mint records that have cracks, but it doesn't effect their play

Makes me wonder if they're work fixing as I don't know what I'd get for them, any ideas?

Charles Russell is a hard record to find these days on original.... And so much better than the crappy remix on Bionic....

post-1832-1175646145_thumb.jpg

Social source share

If you like a drink and a smoke you are always gonna drop the little bastards at some point !

You have and I have.................get over it! Just means you wont sell them and if they play....bonus.......keep em? :lol:

Start a new thread............................."whats the most important record you have fucked up forever................that was beyond help" :lol:

Ha - This week I have witnesed 1 copy of Hayes Cottons "love playes funny games" get bashed and it cracked right down the middle...................so what..................it still playes A1 and it was not for sale anyway? :lol:

Not a problem! :lol:

And I am not lying by the way!!!!!

Edited by mossy
Social source share

I was out DJ'ing about fifteen years ago and pulled my Seven Souls - I Still Love You - Okeh stocker out of the box to play took it out of the two covers and there it was flapping around with a huge crack in it, how it happened i'll never know?, from that day to this it's been sat on one of the shelves never played it out since, plays with a click at home but would i'm sure be ok over a big system? never replaced it at the time and refuse to pay £3/400.00 for another one now...lol, has tape on the reverse which holds it together but however many time i repair it i can never get rid of the click, i also feel cracked records are worthless if you ever want to sell them so if i ever get another Seven Souls i'll give mine away.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Only this morning (tues) to late - mandrill dropped through the letterbox - item described as half inch crack from run in, but does not affect play, got it for a suitably reduced price (under £20 i think) only the thing is the seller must be fcukin deaf! LOL

oh well win some lose some!!

Oh and got a cracked Jack Montgomery also! but plays great!

Edited by pete60
Social source share

A good way to mend them is to get a old fashioned razor blade and glue it to the other side with some of the 'airfix' type glue that 'melts' the vinyl a bit and does need much applying - no big bump and they lie flat on the turntable.

Otis Clay - the only way is up - Echoe

I've got two spare mint records that have cracks

slight contradiction in terms? :lol:

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Ive got a cracked copy on a black RCA issue of 'cracking up over you' by Roy Hamilton.......the title says it all I guess..... :lol:

Social source share

i bought laura lee on a white demo for $1 its mint ses the fella who sold it on ebay :lol: ...it looks fabulous and has a crack from run in to run out but plays without a pop or click :lol: .......my cashmeres has a crack in it but both sides play without a click with no sticky tape/razors blades :lol: ..pretty obvious that unless as said before i put them on ebay with a sound clip i wouldnt sell them...mind you why sell them they both play fine.....

cookie :lol:

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Works like magic.

Sean

Same on my copy of Lewis Clark, "Need Your Lovin" run out groove crack :angry: ......criss cross tape on the flip NAP!!!

Social source share

The guy I get most of my records from in the states nearly always puts a cracked record in with the stuff I buy he calls them wallhangers. He sent me a Fortson & Scott on Pzazz last year which plays with no ticks the only problem is it's the easy one angry.gif Cheers Cressy thumbsup.gif

Social source share

whilst a bit worse for wear years ago i dropped a prized copy of cool off onto the floor taking a v shaped piece out of the vinyl, me and my mate painstakingly superglued the v shape piece back into place and left the restored record to dry. a bit later we inspected our hanywork to find a rock hard superglue fingerprint on the cool off side, the following equation comes to mind

10 pints lowenbrau + prized records = fcuking disaster

Social source share

only Tedski can pose with a cracked 45...... :lol: ........i'm getting him to sell mine........mind you... I have a rare Teri De......purchased at the Naughty Willy when Esher had Ronnie Mcneir on.......1995? (rare dj.....i know its only a bit of print...but these things get more important as you get older).....

Social source share

i know a lad who mends them with a soldering iron . melt the crack together just so he can play em.

not tried it myself

rupert

I know this guy who can turn water into wine! :lol: Only joking .....It sounds dodgey :thumbsup:

Social source share

I was out DJ'ing about fifteen years ago and pulled my Seven Souls - I Still Love You - Okeh stocker out of the box to play took it out of the two covers and there it was flapping around with a huge crack in it, how it happened i'll never know?, from that day to this it's been sat on one of the shelves never played it out since, plays with a click at home but would i'm sure be ok over a big system? never replaced it at the time and refuse to pay £3/400.00 for another one now...lol, has tape on the reverse which holds it together but however many time i repair it i can never get rid of the click, i also feel cracked records are worthless if you ever want to sell them so if i ever get another Seven Souls i'll give mine away.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Apparentley Buddy .................there is a man coming to see you with a soldering iron :lol::thumbsup::D:lol:

Social source share

Sure Nick Brown has a Shrine 45 that he picked up off the floor at a nighter in 3 pieces (maybe Stafford) and he glued it on top of an old worthless 45 and it plays fine.....

Got a tiny edge crack on my George Blackwell that doesn't affect play as it doesn't reach the grooves, a C shaped crack on Jimmy McFarland that runs from middle of play grooves to label and has been glued on flip and a snapped Baby Washington 'Leave me alone' that is taped on back but plays fine (keep selling any spares I pick up, so waiting till I get stuck with a good copy :thumbsup: )

Reminds me, I once had a 'Leave me alone' with a chunk missing out of outer edge, it just missed run in groove so I slapped it on the grinder and ground it even all the way round, polished the edge and flogged it for a few beers....it ended up just over 6 inches in diameter, and must have been a tw*t to cue up as it kicked straight in.... :lol:

Social source share

so I slapped it on the grinder and ground it even all the way round, polished the edge and flogged it for a few beers....it ended up just over 6 inches in diameter, and must have been a tw*t to cue up as it kicked straight in.... :lol:

Dont ever buy tunes off dealers who own a "grinder"...........................your just asking for it :thumbsup::D:lol::P

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Actually sold my copy of --

SHEP - FOOL TO FOOL - TNT

About two years ago for £60 to a local dj ,it was cracked but played fine .Everyone happy

Crackin price dude :lol::thumbsup::D

Social source share

I wonder what the most someone has paid for a cracked record I ask this cause i had Len Jewel on terri de cream label with diff B side ,cracked across the grooves and clicked loud at every revolution sold it to Brownie for £1750

seem to remember the mr lucky had a crack and it sold for big bucks. i'm sure pete smith will comfirm.

Social source share

only Tedski can pose with a cracked 45...... :lol: ........i'm getting him to sell mine........mind you... I have a rare Teri De......purchased at the Naughty Willy when Esher had Ronnie Mcneir on.......1995? (rare dj.....i know its only a bit of print...but these things get more important as you get older).....

Jim cheeky bugger my Lester Tipton is cracked (dnap) only paid 30 for it :yes:

Social source share

my lenny curtis is cracked, cost me very little and you can hardly tell

no clicks at all after the first 10 revs and it goes right to the centre

Social source share

so if i ever get another Seven Souls i'll give mine away.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

First in queue for that please. Love that record. :lol:

Postman cracked my Valadiers - I found a girl. Was only Gordy, but still hurt. Sellotape keeping all together now. Still plays ok.

Social source share

Guest moggy

Got back home one evening with a few mates, Intoxicated of course, decided to spin some vinyl & had the bright idea of putting them on the breakfast bar, first record i tried to remove from the box was a little tight to get out, the first few inches were putting up some resistance (heard that said before) so in my drunken stuper gave it a good tug, PING, record shot out hit the wall & landed on the bleedin stone tiles, on inspection of the said item, there was a chunk missing out of the run in groove and a crack about 10mm into the record, I can now inform you my Salsoul Demo of skip Mahoneys Janice plays with a rather loud click for about the first 30 seconds and has gone from Mint to G- :lol:

Slighly different thread, but a friend of mine, Jimmy Sheard in Brum, had a great collection, he came home one evening after a few shandys, & decided he would listen to few choons, must have been a cold night and decided to reveiw his little treasures in front of the electric fire, anyway we all know the effect a few sherberts can have, yes he fell asleep, end result was he had melted around 80% of them to the point were they were renderd unplayable, broke his heart, and mine when he told me.

Social source share

i know a lad who mends them with a soldering iron . melt the crack together just so he can play em.

not tried it myself

rupert

I've mended cracked vinyl with a soldering iron and it works well. It is a little harder with styrene and they tend to break again, I have found that welding a small piece of a staple onto the edge of cracked styrene works best it adds exta srength and you can still play both sides.

Regards

Paul

Social source share

I've mended cracked vinyl with a soldering iron and it works well. It is a little harder with styrene and they tend to break again, I have found that welding a small piece of a staple onto the edge of cracked styrene works best it adds exta srength and you can still play both sides.

Regards

Paul

Done lots this way sold several on ebay that i have done . Try it on some cheapies get it on a level surface hit once with a hot one so it bores the edge , it pull the crack tight and ya got a play copy . Kev Core ex Kettering now Surfers Pardise Queensland showed me , he is a good polisher too improves the grade best John in da sun

Social source share

Done lots this way sold several on ebay that i have done . Try it on some cheapies get it on a level surface hit once with a hot one so it bores the edge , it pull the crack tight and ya got a play copy . Kev Core ex Kettering now Surfers Pardise Queensland showed me , he is a good polisher too improves the grade best John in da sun

Soldering irons.?????................Polishers???????????????.........................and I thought my dealer was expecting me to buy vg plus for top money :thumbsup::huh::(

this sort of thing is ok if they are tunes that you are not trying to sell on :rolleyes:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest franky m

I have noticed some styrene pressings have what appear to be cracks , but when you pull them about nothing happens , i presume these are caused when the record is made and are mould pressure marks ,one example is ,party time man by the futures on PIR i have had several copys brought from different sources here and in the states and all have what look like three hairline cracks at roughly one third intervals , the people label seems to suffer from a similar condition , any one else noticed this ?? frank m

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert