Main Ingredient - Help Wanted

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Guest TONY ROUNCE

You're such a helpful lot that I'm sure i'm going to get this info out of someone in no time at all...

I urgently need to find out the timings on the labels of two US Main Ingredient 45s, viz:

California My Way - RCA PB 10095

Rolling Down A Mountainside - RCA PB 10224

...and I also need to know if there are time differences between the stereo and the mono on double sided demos - although that's not half as important as knowing the timings on the actual stock 45s.

As ever, there'll be one Ace/Kent/BGP CD per timing for the first person who can come up with the info. You'll also get a thank you in the booklet of the CD when it comes out and a copy of the CD - which, being a Main Ingredient/Insiders singles collection, will be very nice indeed.

Awaiting someone's further word!

Thanks as ever,

TONE

Social source share

Guest Adrian

You're such a helpful lot that I'm sure i'm going to get this info out of someone in no time at all...

I urgently need to find out the timings on the labels of two US Main Ingredient 45s, viz:

California My Way - RCA PB 10095

Rolling Down A Mountainside - RCA PB 10224

...and I also need to know if there are time differences between the stereo and the mono on double sided demos - although that's not half as important as knowing the timings on the actual stock 45s.

As ever, there'll be one Ace/Kent/BGP CD per timing for the first person who can come up with the info. You'll also get a thank you in the booklet of the CD when it comes out and a copy of the CD - which, being a Main Ingredient/Insiders singles collection, will be very nice indeed.

Awaiting someone's further word!

Thanks as ever,

TONE

California My Way - RCA PB 10095 2.52

B-side Looks Like Rain 3.17

Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

Rolling down a mountainside is 3 minutes 20 seconds RCA PB-10224 :thumbsup:

California My Way - RCA PB 10095 2.52

B-side Looks Like Rain 3.17

Social source share

Hey Big Tone,

How About A Jimmy Radcliffe Written & Produced Main Ingredient :30 "Wash & Care" Advert? :thumbsup:

And If You Like This The 1:00 version is even better... cause it's a minute. :(

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Tone,

Love The Main Ingrediant got quite a few of their LPs............ excuse my ignorance but I don't know anything by The Insiders.

Is there any special reason for the two groups being "paired '' on one CD?

Cheers Paul

They're exactly the same group - they started off, briefly, as the Poets, but changed their name to the Insiders because the Poets on Symbol 'got there' first. The Poets "Merry Christmas, Baby" - a lovely record, by the way - on Red Bird is the Insiders/MI. Their Red Bird release as the Insiders, "Chapel Bells Are Calling", has the same backing track as "Merry Christmas, Baby" and is equally gorgeous.

They then did two singles on RCA as the Insiders - including, what is in my opinion, the best track they ever made under any name, the original version of "I'm Better Off Without You", which they later re-cut as the MI after they had broken through with the sublime "You've Been My Inspiration". From then on in, it was the Main Ingredient all the way.

The CD I'm working on features three of the four RCA Insiders tracks and 19 of their best A's and B's as the Main Ingredient. It's like having your cake and eating it yes.gif

Social source share

Hi Tone,

So are

The Poets Stuck On You - Redbird

The Insiders - If You Had A Heart RCA

The same group too?

I always preumed The Poets on Symbol and Red Bird were the same group?

Got any pics of the Poets? (Red Bird)

CD sounds interesting Mate

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Tone,

So are

The Poets Stuck On You - Redbird

The Insiders - If You Had A Heart RCA

The same group too?

I always preumed The Poets on Symbol and Red Bird were the same group?

Got any pics of the Poets? (Red Bird)

CD sounds interesting Mate

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Hi Dave,

Yes, those two records are by the same original group line up, consisting of of Enrique 'Tony' Silvester, Luther Simmons and the great Donald McPherson, the trio's original lead singer whose premature 1971 death from leukaemia must rank among the greatest tragedies ever to befall the world of soul. Good as his successor, Cuba Gooding Sr. was, he wasn't in the same league. These three gentlemen also wrote both those songs you mention, "Stuck On You" being a collaboraton between S/S/M and Rock 'n' Roll songwriting gods Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller.

McPherson sang lead on all the groups singles up to and including "I'm Leaving This Time". Cuba picked up the baton just in time for their biggest pop hit, "Evereybody Plays The Fool". Both men are represented equally on this CD....

Best,

TONE

Social source share

They then did two singles on RCA as the Insiders - including, what is in my opinion, the best track they ever made under any name, the original version of "I'm Better Off Without You"

I totally agree with you. A truly superb tune! thumbsup.gif The flipside "I'm Just A Man" is also great.

And I agree with you on "Chapel Bells Are Calling" as well. smile.gif

Will "Evening Of Love" be on there?

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I totally agree with you. A truly superb tune! thumbsup.gif The flipside "I'm Just A Man" is also great.

And I agree with you on "Chapel Bells Are Calling" as well. smile.gif

Will "Evening Of Love" be on there?

Hi Sebsatian,

Due to time constraints, my 78 minute plus comp finishes in 1975 with "Shame On The World".("Evening..." is, of course, from '81). But I'm hoping that sales will merit a Vol. Two that will continue the story, and also include a few things from 66-75 that I couldn't get for this one - like the three Red Bird sides - and if I do, "Evening" will definitely be part of that one!

Best,

TONE

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hey Big Tone,

How About A Jimmy Radcliffe Written & Produced Main Ingredient :30 "Wash & Care" Advert? thumbsup.gif

And If You Like This The 1:00 version is even better... cause it's a minute. :thumbsup:

10___Wash___Care__30.mp3

It's terrific! I'm off to buy some "Wash And Care" right now thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Hi Sebsatian,

Due to time constraints, my 78 minute plus comp finishes in 1975 with "Shame On The World".("Evening..." is, of course, from '81). But I'm hoping that sales will merit a Vol. Two that will continue the story, and also include a few things from 66-75 that I couldn't get for this one - like the three Red Bird sides - and if I do, "Evening" will definitely be part of that one!

Best,

TONE

Really looking forward to get my hands on this CD. thumbsup.gif

Anyone got the 7" of "Evening Of Love" for sale by the way? PM me if so.

Social source share

They're exactly the same group - they started off, briefly, as the Poets, but changed their name to the Insiders because the Poets on Symbol 'got there' first. The Poets "Merry Christmas, Baby" - a lovely record, by the way - on Red Bird is the Insiders/MI. Their Red Bird release as the Insiders, "Chapel Bells Are Calling", has the same backing track as "Merry Christmas, Baby" and is equally gorgeous.

They then did two singles on RCA as the Insiders - including, what is in my opinion, the best track they ever made under any name, the original version of "I'm Better Off Without You", which they later re-cut as the MI after they had broken through with the sublime "You've Been My Inspiration". From then on in, it was the Main Ingredient all the way.

The CD I'm working on features three of the four RCA Insiders tracks and 19 of their best A's and B's as the Main Ingredient. It's like having your cake and eating it
yes.gif

Thanks Tone..............I'll have a large slice of that cake please !
thumbsup.gif

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Hi Tony

Did the group end up recording in the UK? Always wondered how they ended up doing a cover of Daybreak's "Everything Man" on Power Exchange (flip of "Reggae Disco" 1977). Must have been pretty obscure, even then...

Yeah Tone, What Say on That Aye?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Tony

Did the group end up recording in the UK? Always wondered how they ended up doing a cover of Daybreak's "Everything Man" on Power Exchange (flip of "Reggae Disco" 1977). Must have been pretty obscure, even then...

This is actually a bona-fide American recording. I think that Power Exchange would have licensed it directly from Tony Silvester, along with the Imperials' "Who's Gonna Love Me" which also came out on PE (and which, unlike "Reggae Disco", was actually a UK chart hit). I am pretty sure that neither Luther Simmons nor Cuba Gooding, Sr. sing on this record, and that Silvester made it with session singers, the Luther-Cuba-Tony line up having disbanded by 1977.

BTW I can't be the only person in the world who thinks that this version of "Everything Man" is vastly superior to the more highly coveted (i.e. becasue it's rarer) version by Daybreak, can I?

TONE

Social source share

This is actually a bona-fide American recording. I think that Power Exchange would have licensed it directly from Tony Silvester, along with the Imperials' "Who's Gonna Love Me" which also came out on PE (and which, unlike "Reggae Disco", was actually a UK chart hit). I am pretty sure that neither Luther Simmons nor Cuba Gooding, Sr. sing on this record, and that Silvester made it with session singers, the Luther-Cuba-Tony line up having disbanded by 1977.

BTW I can't be the only person in the world who thinks that this version of "Everything Man" is vastly superior to the more highly coveted (i.e. becasue it's rarer) version by Daybreak, can I?

TONE

Well, I agree with you , Tone !!!

I also wanted to mention that The Insiders "I'm Stuck On You/Chapel Bells" amazingly was released on AUSTRALIAN RED BIRD, one of the holy grails of Aussie rare soul releases , along with Didi Noel's " Let The Music Play " (yes, on Aussie Red Bird !!! Didi was on Blue Cat in the US !!!)

Unable to scan the Aussie Insiders release at the moment Tone but I can post you a nice colour photograph of it if you like , would look great as one of the illustrations in the insert to the CD, methinks ! :lol:

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

HAVE TO AGREE 100% ON THIS ONE TONE M.I 'S VERSION IS LOADS BETTER THAN DAYBREAKS thumbsup.gif . YA CAN'T BEAT CHEAPER AND BETTER. ALSO HOW DOG RARE ARE THE INSIDERS ON R.C.A BLACK ISSUES. I'VE SEEN LOADS MORE COPIES OF THE SO CALLED BIG HITTERS OVER THE YEARS.

BEST, BRI.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

HOW DOG RARE ARE THE INSIDERS ON R.C.A BLACK ISSUES. I'VE SEEN LOADS MORE COPIES OF THE SO CALLED BIG HITTERS OVER THE YEARS.

BEST, BRI.

Stupidly rare, I'd say. Bri. In fact, I've never seen an "If You Had A Heart" issue, now I come to think about it. And the only "I'm Better Off..." issue I've ever seen is mine. Everyone else I know has a demo.

Ironic, really when - as you say - the more common 'big hitters' sell for so much more....

TONE

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Well, I agree with you , Tone !!!

I also wanted to mention that The Insiders "I'm Stuck On You/Chapel Bells" amazingly was released on AUSTRALIAN RED BIRD, one of the holy grails of Aussie rare soul releases , along with Didi Noel's " Let The Music Play " (yes, on Aussie Red Bird !!! Didi was on Blue Cat in the US !!!)

Unable to scan the Aussie Insiders release at the moment Tone but I can post you a nice colour photograph of it if you like , would look great as one of the illustrations in the insert to the CD, methinks ! whistling.gif

That's you, me and Bri, then - at least!

Cor, wouldn't mind owning that Insiders, it'd go nice next to - among others - my Impressions' "Fool For You" on Australian Kama Sutra and my Meters "Look-Ka-Py-Py" on (appropriately) Pye! I love Aussie pressings anyway, lovely thick vinyl and 'eye test' lettering on the labels, fantastic stuff!

TONE

Social source share

And the only "I'm Better Off..." issue I've ever seen is mine. Everyone else I know has a demo.

Hmmm, I've got this - didn't realise it was that rare...

And I also reckon MI version of Everything Man is superior. Just waiting for the "it's only people who don't own Daybreak who prefer it..." etc.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hmmm, I've got this - didn't realise it was that rare...

And I also reckon MI version of Everything Man is superior. Just waiting for the "it's only people who don't own Daybreak who prefer it..." etc.

Oh, hang on in there long enough and it's bound to arrive eventually wicked.gif

Social source share

Stupidly rare, I'd say. Bri. In fact, I've never seen an "If You Had A Heart" issue, now I come to think about it. And the only "I'm Better Off..." issue I've ever seen is mine. Everyone else I know has a demo.

Ironic, really when - as you say - the more common 'big hitters' sell for so much more....

TONE

Blimey. I didn't realise it was that hard to come by...

post-812-1175690645_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!