The Soulful Mr Sam Dees

Guest garv

Following on from the success of the Bobby Womack thread a few weeks ago i thought we could pay our dues to Sam Dees, surely one of the finest singer / songwriters to ever record.

Social source share

• Replies 68
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest cyrus

Is there any news on the release of "Show must Go on" album on CD, i know there were legal wrangles over the rights of the album. Surely its time for a reissue of this classic album!!!

Social source share

Is there any news on the release of "Show must Go on" album on CD, i know there were legal wrangles over the rights of the album. Surely its time for a reissue of this classic album!!!

The Member Millbrand will fill you in on the details of the lp as i think his company own the copyright.

Social source share

Guest johnm

There was a youtube clip on here from a few months back of him sitting playing the piano and singing

Millionaire(??) it was tremendous .

can't seem to find it now.

Edited by johnm
Social source share

sam dees is just GOD

no one comes close

his lyrics are straight from your heart..........

fragile handle with care

just blows me away,everytime

also-------after all--------12"

only thing close

linda jones---just cant live my life

Edited by keithw
Social source share

The Member Millbrand will fill you in on the details of the lp as i think his company own the copyright.

The dispute is pretty much sorted now and it's looking more likely that the album can finally be issued on CD in the near future ...with the possibility of a previously unissued track or two from the same sessions.

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Social source share

The dispute is pretty much sorted now and it's looking more likely that the album can finally be issued on CD in the near future ...with the possibility of a previously unissued track or two from the same sessions.

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Paul

Thanks for the info :D brilliant news, any clues on the unissed tracks............ please :rolleyes:

Social source share

Paul

Thanks for the info :D brilliant news, any clues on the unissed tracks............ please :rolleyes:

Hello,

There is one particular unissued track which we rescued from damaged tapes last year and plan to issue quite soon.

Expect to be amazed by this one.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Gonna be some nice stuff on this thread im sure, he is the main man for me singer/songwriter of the very highest order.

No home should be without at least one of his recordings.

Andy Mann :D

Social source share

Saw Sam Dees on a couple of occasions, at both Southport weekender and was introduced to him by Rod Dearlove at the Canal Tavern Thorne, absolutely superb, was later to realise the significance of the lyrics to the heart wrenching "After all".....and at such a miserable stage in one's life think at that time, it was a song written for me personally :D

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

At last, thats great news !!!!! :rolleyes::lol:

Social source share

I have asked this before, But many years ago he appeared at Newbury. One of the events Russ did there. For some strange reason, I was asked late in the evening to interview him on film. It's fair to say I had a bit to drink, don't remeber much about the interview. But would love to see. Anyone know anything about this, Russ??

Dave

Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

Now that "The Show Must Go On" rights have been sorted out :thumbsup: is there any similar kind of story behind Sam's Chess material? I keep hoping to hear the astonishing "Love starvation" cleaned up on Kent, and it seems odd that this and other tracks haven't come out. I know it all comes down to rights...

Social source share

Hello,

Here's a sneak preview of a previously unreleased Sam Dees track which will be issued on our Shotgun label (via Selecta) later this year.

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

fooloftheyear.mp3

Wow, Well done Paul,sounds like another great Sam Dees track uncovered. Can`t wait for it to come out.

Mark Houghton

Social source share

Wow, Well done Paul,sounds like another great Sam Dees track uncovered. Can`t wait for it to come out.

Mark Houghton

Ultra Soulful, but we've come to expect no less from Mr. Dees. Thanks, Paul. Can't wait to get the full version of this.....

Martin.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

sam dees is just GOD

no one comes close

his lyrics are straight from your heart..........

fragile handle with care

just blows me away,everytime

also-------after all--------12"

only thing close

linda jones---just cant live my life

I like your taste! 3 of my own faves too! ('specially Linda Jones. She really tears me up!)

Social source share

Hello,

Here's a sneak preview of a previously unreleased Sam Dees track which will be issued on our Shotgun label (via Selecta) later this year.

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

fooloftheyear.mp3

Cheers for posting Paul

That sounds very tasty, will it be one of the bonus tracks added to the TSMGO lp ?.

Social source share

www.209radio.co.uk

soul@209radio.co.uk

Fortnightly, Saturdays 12.00-14.00

7th April.. A New Chapter Special

Gareth Donovan, Steve Cole and Mark Houghton

+

Live by phone...

Paul Mooney (Selecta Records-Shotgun Records)...Chatting about Sam Dees & David Sea

For all playlists go to....... 209radio Forum

Edited by Soul Discovery
Social source share

Guest cyrus

Is there any news on the re-issue of this album. I understand there are legal issues but are they any closer to being resolved?

Social source share

Thanks to garv for starting this thread, think most people would find something of interest from Mr Dees either his songwriting or his own records, i personally think no one sings a Sam song like the man himself IMVHO

Looking forward to paul mooney putting out a sam cd later this year i,m sure which will do well, i know i certain Mr Wray who might be interested.

Would have put a few more tracks on but this bloody computor stuff uploading is playing up and taking me forever

enjoy

Andy :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have asked this before, But many years ago he appeared at Newbury. One of the events Russ did there. For some strange reason, I was asked late in the evening to interview him on film. It's fair to say I had a bit to drink, don't remeber much about the interview. But would love to see. Anyone know anything about this, Russ??

Dave

Brilliant thread & I was only thinking about this recently. I managed to get Sam to perform live at one of the Newbury sessions & thought it would be a good to get Dave on as one of the guest DJ's. Dave being one of if not the first DJ to push 'Lonely For You Baby" at Stafford.

The build up to the Night was fantastic & the sound check confirmed that Sam was going to perform LFYB (The only time he has performed this track live in the UK as far as I am aware)(Sam refused to perform 'Fragile Handle with Care', as he said that he was not happy with the the final release as the song had been written as a ballad).

Well as you can imagine Mr Sam Dees took the roof off...........a fantastic performance & by all accounts the best on that particular trip to the UK. I will never forget this night & consider it the highlite of my promotional 'career', with Jeff 'Jeffree' Perry 'live' at Newbury a very close second.

Ben Summers was one of my resident DJ's at the time & is a director/producer of some kind (sorry Ben). Ben captured the whole performance plus the said Dave Thorley interview afterwards, on film.

We were in negotiation with Sam's people to do an official release of the performance on video, but this proved very difficult. The figures just didnt add up & made it financially out of the question.

Ben Summers is one of the good guys & will never put this footage out unlawfully, soooooooooooooooo until we can do it legally the interview along with most of the performance stays in the can. It might be worth revisiting I'll try & contact Ben & see what he thinks. BTW the performance of LFYB by Sam on the Strange World of Northern Soul was shot at Newbury, then messed up by IL !!!!.

Hope this helps Dave.

Ben if you are reading this PM me.

Russ

Social source share

Brilliant thread & I was only thinking about this recently. I managed to get Sam to perform live at one of the Newbury sessions & thought it would be a good to get Dave on as one of the guest DJ's. Dave being one of if not the first DJ to push 'Lonely For You Baby" at Stafford.

The build up to the Night was fantastic & the sound check confirmed that Sam was going to perform LFYB (The only time he has performed this track live in the UK as far as I am aware)(Sam refused to perform 'Fragile Handle with Care', as he said that he was not happy with the the final release as the song had been written as a ballad).

Well as you can imagine Mr Sam Dees took the roof off...........a fantastic performance & by all accounts the best on that particular trip to the UK. I will never forget this night & consider it the highlite of my promotional 'career', with Jeff 'Jeffree' Perry 'live' at Newbury a very close second.

Ben Summers was one of my resident DJ's at the time & is a director/producer of some kind (sorry Ben). Ben captured the whole performance plus the said Dave Thorley interview afterwards, on film.

We were in negotiation with Sam's people to do an official release of the performance on video, but this proved very difficult. The figures just didnt add up & made it financially out of the question.

Ben Summers is one of the good guys & will never put this footage out unlawfully, soooooooooooooooo until we can do it legally the interview along with most of the performance stays in the can. It might be worth revisiting I'll try & contact Ben & see what he thinks. BTW the performance of LFYB by Sam on the Strange World of Northern Soul was shot at Newbury, then messed up by IL !!!!.

Hope this helps Dave.

Ben if you are reading this PM me.

Russ

It attended this night & it was a barnstormer of a performance by Sam Dees, mind you never had anything less than a great nite at Newbury.

I remember Gavin Page saying he had some live footage of Sam playing live @ Essence, if anyone can bend his arm to post it up that would be great.

Social source share

Guest Dr Bob Jones

'Legal issues' that's a real understatement Cyrus. I've discussed this with Sam many times.

The bottom line is that Sam has NEVER been paid a cent in Royalties for this LP. He is not pleased with Atlantic at the way he's been treated over this. So until they , the label settle with Sam, I don't think you'll see this re-released, even in Japan.

Regards

Dr Bob J. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert