Sniper Programs

Guest tich

I can see Tich's arguement for keeping the auction "live" until bidding has ceased for say ten minutes then close, JM operates a system like this I think.

That's right, he does. And of course we all know about the prices he gets. Fair play to him - it makes good business sense.

Folks bidding on a JM auction (which is a proper auction) know the score, just as snipers know the score on ebay.

Social source share

• Replies 69
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest dundeedavie

, I hear someone is trying to get an auction up and running, just for soul etc & only vinyl.That could be cool !!!!!

It seems like there is a big need for a fair and true auction.

erm John Manship and Pat Brady anyone ? unsure.gif .....both soul and both only vinyl and both fair and true surely

Social source share

erm John Manship and Pat Brady anyone ? unsure.gif .....both soul and both only vinyl and both fair and true surely

ok but they are selling their own records. I mean an indipendent auction.If you know what I mean.

Social source share

So why hide behind a program and not just enter your highest bid ?

Ebay actions are supposed to stay "open" if a bid is placed,I think it is a minute before the end of said auction, but they dont have time to react in time.Therefore the seller looses out,the other bidder looses out and ebay lose out (dont care too much about ebay) the only one who gains is the one that snipes.

When I sell things I would like the highest price I can get and that does not happen when people snipe !!!!! Besides an auctioned item should be sold to the person who wants to pay the most for it, or am I wrong?????

The word sniper is a good discription of the people who use the program in my opinion and I know that will not go down well with a lot of you but I will just have to live with it.

so you've lost a couple of items..get over it man..snipers and non snipers alike lose lots of auctions by a few cents...what a boring thread

sleep3.gif:rolleyes::thumbsup:

Social source share

so you've lost a couple of items..get over it man..snipers and non snipers alike lose lots of auctions by a few cents...what a boring thread

sleep3.gif:rolleyes::thumbsup:

You may say its boring but 54 replys later and people are still talking about it, including YOU.

If you dont have anything to say, then go to another thread and dont be silly. :shhh:

Social source share

Not at all. I mean it, it was a silly comment and you are still here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!Started 8.30 yesterday.Cant be so boring then can it, nearly 24 hours,but now I think its time to stop before it goes too far.No offence meant.

Social source share

with ebay it's not the high bidder who decides the final price it's the 2nd highest. The 2nd high bidder always usualy loses out by £1 or whatever the bid increment is. So even if you had bid another £100 you may still not have won the item, you would've still lost out by £1.

Tubbs

Social source share

Im getting p*ssed off with missing auctions finishing and losing out, like this morning :angry: so its going to be bid napper for me from now on :D

Social source share

Quote Lars :-

Also, the item is sold to the bidder who snipes it at the highest price. Is that unfair ? How?

sorry Lars but I have to disagree,I have been involved in auctions for years and the idea is that an auctioned item should go to the highest bidder.All I want is a chance to bid again if someone overbids me.(a true auction) ie a fair chance.

Those are other auctions, these are ebay auctions. There are several ways of doing auctions, none of them are depending on your approval.

"True" auctions ? :thumbsup:

Quote Lars :-

I snipe because I actually want to win the item. I do not want to throw half my record buying budget away because some other bidder doesn't understand how the bidding works.

Do you not think I want to win the item?? Again I want the chance to bid again etc. and I dont care if I have to pay a bit extra if it is something I want.

The only people who think it is ok is those who use it,cheat in computer language)

I certainly think you want to win, I just don't think you've understood the rules of the service you are attempting to use.

And what about this talk of "bidding again" ? Have you no idea what your max bid is before you start bidding ?

Quote Lars:-

I don't think I will have a problem living with that.

I dont believe you will !!!!1

It's because I'm such a nice guy you know :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well you just made me smile and I can understand what you mean. I have done it too,just not with a snipe. biggrin.gif

Mate why don't you just bid £1000 on every £100 record you'd like on any day of the auction. I can guarantee you will win it :thumbsup:

Social source share

As pointed out, I can't understand the end difference between using a snipe programme or sitting there at 4 a.m. and manually entering your max bid 6 secs from auction end.

I first started using snipe programmes when I was still on dial up as I was forever losing items cus the auction page froze or wouldn't refresh quick enough.

Too many bidders put early bids on stuff, which always pushes the price up....I've also had plenty of 'mates' put early bids on items then email me to say they have seen it first, and asking not to snipe or bid against them....what's all that about?

I sometimes place my snipes on the day the item is listed...I bid my max amount and forget about it....I either win it or not....no bidding frenzy, no early morning rises to place bids, no forgetting about auction, no worries who else bids on it.....job done

I've even had 'mates' email me after auction end to have a pop for outbidding them, even though my snipe was placed days before they manually placed their bid!!!!

To be honest, I don't care how anyone else uses ebay, and how much they bid....their business, their choice.

If you want it so bad then always enter your absolute max bid....end off.

As for snipers always getting bargains....imagine what happens if 2 bidders snipe the same item for lot's more than its worth cus they both want it so bad....the winners gonna get stung big time....so it's all about being sensible about deciding what your max bid will be.

As also mentioned, its very rare to actually lose an auction by £1 or whatever the min bid increment actually is, chances are the winner has bid lots more than he actually ends up paying on his winning snipe, he just happens to have chosen a higher max bid then you so he wins it, fair and square like any other auction.....

Edited by Mace
Social source share

As pointed out, I can't understand the end difference between using a snipe programme or sitting there at 4 a.m. and manually entering your max bid 6 secs from auction end.

I first started using snipe programmes when I was still on dial up as I was forever losing items cus the auction page froze or wouldn't refresh quick enough.

Too many bidders put early bids on stuff, which always pushes the price up....I've also had plenty of 'mates' put early bids on items then email me to say they have seen it first, and asking not to snipe or bid against them....what's all that about?

I sometimes place my snipes on the day the item is listed...I bid my max amount and forget about it....I either win it or not....no bidding frenzy, no early morning rises to place bids, no forgetting about auction, no worries who else bids on it.....job done

I've even had 'mates' email me after auction end to have a pop for outbidding them, even though my snipe was placed days before they manually placed their bid!!!!

To be honest, I don't care how anyone else uses ebay, and how much they bid....their business, their choice.

If you want it so bad then always enter your absolute max bid....end off.

As for snipers always getting bargains....imagine what happens if 2 bidders snipe the same item for lot's more than its worth cus they both want it so bad....the winners gonna get stung big time....so it's all about being sensible about deciding what your max bid will be.

As also mentioned, its very rare to actually lose an auction by £1 or whatever the min bid increment actually is, chances are the winner has bid lots more than he actually ends up paying on his winning snipe, he just happens to have chosen a higher max bid then you so he wins it, fair and square like any other auction.....

I think that happened with the Master 4. Two snipers placing huge snipes not thinking they would end up paying a fraction of it. ouch!

Social source share

Using a sniper programe can be beneficial. If everyone wanting an item used a sniper program there would be no indication that there was any interest. Therefore, the 'auction' frenzy wouldn't be so.. well, frenzied.

You just put in the max bid, leave it and wait for the outcome.

Social source share

I can't understand the end difference between using a snipe programme or sitting there at 4 a.m. and manually entering your max bid 6 secs from auction end.

Mace.... I've been reading this thread over last couple of days thinking "WTF is the point of this groan".... and then you go and sum it up in one sentence mate....

Also, if you've got a max price you want to pay then entering it on a "sniper" is only the same as manually entering it.... the trouble/problem with "manual entry" (that sounds like a comment from playboy tv :thumbsup: ) IMO is if you get up or stay up "bleary eyed" to enter your bid and your max has been surpassed you then you tend to get that "gotta win it cause I want it AND I've got/stayed up to do so" mentality and end up bidding above want you wanted to or can afford/budget for.... put a bid in a "sniper" and leave it.... win it, your happy.... lose it, so what your not outta pocket....

Yes you can get the odd "bargain" if other "live" bidders forget/can't get out of bed/fall asleep at PC/whatever.... but that's life....

One final point.... it was stated in the starting post that it's annoying to lose out by the odd $$$$ or so when bidding "live".... look at it in reverse.... what about the times a "sniper" gets up and checks their bid "lodged by sniping" only to find out the "end price" is only a few $$$$'s above their "snipe bid"... the "snipers" then only think the same by wishing "I should have put an extra $$$$'s on to win it".... then reality strikes home and you realise the "winner" could have had a "large proxy or live bid via ebay" entered anyway....

Works both ways IMO :thumbsup: ....

Mate why don't you just bid £1000 on every £100 record you'd like on any day of the auction. I can guarantee you will win it shades.gif

The simplist answer on here yet to "non snipers" who "hate not winning" a record "by the odd $$$$" thumbsup.gif ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i would hate the programme used but how far is distance from sniper programme to ending of item like a few seconds someone says.

So if i was to bid on an item with 30 seconds to go and computer is fast enough get it bidded in time i am still gonna loose out cause with say 5 seconds to go that sniper programme has come in with 1 last bid how f****d up is that.

Social source share

But WPaulVanDyk, you had the opportunity to enter your highest bid - it wasn't high enough to meet someone elses. I think the paramount mistake people are making here is that they think Snipers are having an upper hand. They're not. They are simply entering a maximum bid, in the sniper program, that enters that bid 10 seconds or so before the end of the auction.

Those that choose to sit over their computers, hitting refresh repeatedly, are bonkers! :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert