Sniper Programs

Guest tich

Dont know about you lot but I am well pi**ed off with loosing items on ebay at the last second to people with the morals of a snake. I read something on here about a week ago about a program you can get for the computer that "snipes" in the last few seconds of an auction and bids 50 cents over the top bid. For anyone out there that has such a program I would like to say:- *^`?"!*^` *^`&%¤#"!

well I cant say it because I will get thrown off here but you all know what I want to say.

I flat refuse to get one of these programs as i believe it is cheating and it can only be "soulies" that are doing it to me as it is only soul I bid on !

I hope that one day someone does the same to you.

Well miffed !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not quite sure where I should post this but it is about "soul"

Sorry if its in the wrong place.

Mark

Social source share

• Replies 69
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest dundeedavie

Dont know about you lot but I am well pi**ed off with loosing items on ebay at the last second to people with the morals of a snake. I read something on here about a week ago about a program you can get for the computer that "snipes" in the last few seconds of an auction and bids 50 cents over the top bid. For anyone out there that has such a program I would like to say:- *^`?"!*^` *^`&%¤#"!

well I cant say it because I will get thrown off here but you all know what I want to say.

I flat refuse to get one of these programs as i believe it is cheating and it can only be "soulies" that are doing it to me as it is only soul I bid on !

Mark

happened to me many times , and will no doubt happen again .

the tools are there ,if you choose not to use them that's up to you

Social source share

snipe tools are the best things around i only bid what i am willing to pay if i do not win i have not bid enough, the reason it works is i do not show my hand before the auction end, because beleve it or not some people actually watch and follow other bidders, and outbid you, also i do not have to be up at silly times to watch it and re-bid if beaten.

mark

Social source share

Guest Rich Walker

I use snipes a lot. It's really handy when the auction finishes when you're asleep.

Personally I dislike early bidders knocking up the price and increasing the awareness of the item.

Rich.

Edited by Rich Walker
Social source share

Mark

Don't be such a baby, the whole point is to win the item and as far as I'm concerned, I make my living buying and selling records so it's by any means necessary. Or you want me to stay up til 4 in the morning to put a bid on do you? For f*cks sake.

Social source share

Mark

Just highlights the fact that ebay isn't a proper auction - proper auctions don't have time limits.

Winners are the highest bidders at a certain point in time - snipers just help things along.  :shades:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Mark

Nice juicy sour grape anyone ? :shades:

Social source share

Mark

If you bid your true max, you would have won, wouldn't you, whether your sniped or not? Sniping programs are for people intelligent enough not to be trapped into the psychology of an auction, raising their max higher and higher than it would have been. I hate when two idiots get into a bidding war ahead of time. Here are the two sniping services I've used:

www.auctionsniper.com

www.bidnapper.com

There are a few more. I'm a heavy bidder so I use bidnapper (which is pay-per-a-period-of-time) but auctionsniper is pay-per-snipe, which might be better for lower volume bidders. I hope more people use these, which should ultimately keep prices DOWN on records, which are ridiculously high already. Wish people would bid intelligently and I didn't have to use the program.

Social source share

Guest Neil-ok

Nice juicy sour grape anyone ? :shades:

Dunno about that Bogue,i got done on a item(non soul)that i had been following for weeks,the winner came in at the last second with a bid £1 pound more than mine,no effort just the right timing?(or snipe program)..even the seller contacted me and said he was sorry because how it finished.Maybe e-bay could use some sort of profile build? something like points for getting a bid in early(not sitting back and using a snipe?).it would make the bidding alot more honest for the buyer.....problem is its all about the seller getting every last £.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Dunno about that Bogue,i got done on a item(non soul)that i had been following for weeks,the winner came in at the last second with a bid £1 pound more than mine,no effort just the right timing?(or snipe program)..even the seller contacted me and said he was sorry because how it finished.Maybe e-bay could use some sort of profile build? something like points for getting a bid in early(not sitting back and using a snipe?).it would make the bidding alot more honest for the buyer.....problem is its all about the seller getting every last £.

well the seller pays the fee's , they are the customer .......

Social source share

people not sniping and getting into bidding wars is what drives up the price, snipers generally keep prices down. Ebay would like to eliminate sniping (since they would get more money) but it can't because technically you can manually do the same thing by bidding last minute.

Social source share

Guest Neil-ok

well the seller pays the fee's , they are the customer .......

Very true Dave but without the buyer there is no seller is there not?,Not having a go at anybody but it has got silly lately.I reckon the seller should ask a price? if he dosent get it he can withdraw it or take the best offer.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

I can understand the frustration Neil but it's how it is.

It makes me laugh when you see people putting small bids in days before the end date of an item, what's the point ? We all know the real bidding will come in the last 30 seconds or so with or without snipe programs.

I worked that out the first day i ever used Ebay some 5/6 years ago, as have most others i would guess.

At the end of the day it's still down to how much you bid & if yours is higher than the rest then great, if it's lower, then you didn't want it so much.

Tittering to myself now :shades: First things i bought off Ebay were some crappy oil paintings & remember getting into that stupid must win mode ! Take that you b****** ! oh shit i've just paid £80 for a £10 painting ! A painting which I have yet to hang on a wall !!

Social source share

Guest Neil-ok

people not sniping and getting into bidding wars is what drives up the price, snipers generally keep prices down. Ebay would like to eliminate sniping (since they would get more money) but it can't because technically you can manually do the same thing by bidding last minute.

Boba you and i both know that "sellers" have there mates logging on to "up" the price?(now if you didn't know that,e-bay is not the place for you) ...like i said it needs a honesty part?.....most people are put off e-bay.... 1)because they are frightened of getting conned and 2)using cards(credit/debit) over the net is not safe.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Very true Dave but without the buyer there is no seller is there not?,Not having a go at anybody but it has got silly lately.I reckon the seller should ask a price? if he dosent get it he can withdraw it or take the best offer.

the buyer can set a reserve as high as he /she likes and if it doesn't reach it doesn't sell

Social source share

Boba you and i both know that "sellers" have there mates logging on to "up" the price?(now if you didn't know that,e-bay is not the place for you) ...like i said it needs a honesty part?.....most people are put off e-bay.... 1)because they are frightened of getting conned and 2)using cards(credit/debit) over the net is not safe.

It's pretty obvious when sellers have shill bidders, I've seen it happen, but it's not that common. It's much harder to tell now that ebay is hiding the bidder history, so I think it will become more common. However, I agree. No one here should ever bid on ebay, it's a horrible place and you'll just get ripped off. :shades:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

You can put a reserve on anyway Neil. But you couldn't work what you are suggesting, would you bother going to the trouble of bidding just for someone to say Nahh sorry mate i don't want to sell it now.

Social source share

In the very early days of ebay I set the alarm but now I've used bidnapper for the last few years - tried esnipe before but got kicked off for not paying their outrageous fees :shades: best way to bid IMO is using a sniper you put in your maximum bid and that is that - its great to watch a 45 go from zero to a thousand dollars in the last six seconds lol

All is fair in the vinyl buying stakes and thats from someone who has lost out more times than I care to remember

Mike Bolderson

Social source share

Guest Neil-ok

You can put a reserve on anyway Neil. But you couldn't work what you are suggesting, would you bother going to the trouble of bidding just for someone to say Nahh sorry mate i don't want to sell it now.

I know Bogue its a fucking minefield,but like i said there should be a honesty part in it?,take a early high bid etc or risk the bid going down....remember it was a auction site to begin with...now its just a shop bidding shop online.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

I know Bogue its a fucking minefield,but like i said there should be a honesty part in it?,take a early high bid etc or risk the bid going down....remember it was a auction site to begin with...now its just a shop bidding shop online.

:D Know what you are saying Neil. To be honest most stuff i have bought over the last couple of years have been Buy It Now's.

That's where i have had the biggest bargins, & none of the auction anguish to boot :shades:

Social source share

Alternatively you can spend a little more time finding sellers who have e-bay shops. You will be surprised how many list good stuff at set sale.

I've picked up so many records this way especially this year.

Derek

Social source share

Mark

Sorry Mark, but you are wrong. You only see the end price, you haven't a clue how much the winning bidder actually placed on his/her sniper. And in most cases it will be way over what you see as the £1 more than your bid.....I actually bid on an item [bidnapper] and lost the item. Yet when I checked the end price, my maximum bid was slightly higher. I was outraged at this and got in touch with Bidnapper to complain. But they explained that the bid increment was more than I had left to bid, therefore the other guy won...... Just out of interest, I contacted the winning bidder, and found out that he had bid a huge amount of money, above, the end price.

So there you go, snipers are a very usefull tool, but give absolutely no guarantee of winning, I can assure you.

Social source share

The only point i was trying to make was I hate to lose an item for 50 cents or a pound. I would pay the extra to win.I was just well miffed yesterday as I lost a tune I wanted.

Thanks to you all for your input,I got some handy tips and it seems there is a general feeling it is ok to use these programs. Just wish someone would start an auction for northern.?????

I cant remember who it was that called me a baby but there was no need for that,we are suposed to all be friends on here so I think that "name calling" is a little bit childish,but no hard feelings.

I too buy a lot of things on ebay,not only music and still have a hard time understanding why people cant just enter a highest bid when they see something they like.I suppose it is because just like the rest of us,they want to buy things as cheap as poss`.

Anyway,no more moaning from me,just have to get one of these "sniper" programs and play them at their own game!!

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(mark.b @ Mar 31 2007, 08:55 PM) link
snipe tools are the best things around i only bid what i am willing to pay if i do not win i have not bid enough, the reason it works is i do not show my hand before the auction end, because beleve it or not some people actually watch and follow other bidders, and outbid you, also i do not have to be up at silly times to watch it and re-bid if beaten.

mark

You're right Mark, personnally I use EZ sniper

Social source share

Dunno about that Bogue,i got done on a item(non soul)that i had been following for weeks,the winner came in at the last second with a bid £1 pound more than mine,

This isn't right though is it ?

the winner may have bid 100 pounds more than you but he only has to be one increment higher than the 2nd highest bidder to win the auction.

I herar this comment "I was outbid by a very small amount" so so often but its just not the case.

Social source share

I hate to lose an item for 50 cents or a pound. I would pay the extra to win...why people cant just enter a highest bid when they see something they like....

But you might have had to pay a lot more to top the winning bidder's maximum bid.

What people bid influences what others think it's worth bidding. Bid late if you wan't to get things as cheap as possible.

Having said that, I agree it's maddening to be sniped.

Alan

Social source share

What is wrong with entering your highest bid instead of this sniper thing. What is is people are trying to hide ?

Let's just say that you're willing to pay up to £100 for a record,if you put a bid in for £100 the bid will show £100,if you use a snipe programme and put in your maximum bid of £100,the snipe programme will bid on your behalf seconds before the auction is due to end.The snipe programme will bid the next increment from what the existing bid is.E.G if the bid is £15 it will bid £16 and you win a record that you were willing to pay £100 for,for £16.

Hope that makes sense :shades:

Pete

Social source share

What is wrong with entering your highest bid instead of this sniper thing. What is is people are trying to hide ?

Why on earth would you want to put your highest bid in more than 3 seconds before the 'auction' closes just so someone can enter a bidding war against your bid? It may well be exciting to enter a bidding war, but I can think of better ways of spending my money.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Let's just say that you're willing to pay up to £100 for a record,if you put a bid in for £100 the bid will show £100,if you use a snipe programme and put in your maximum bid of £100,the snipe programme will bid on your behalf seconds before the auction is due to end.The snipe programme will bid the next increment from what the existing bid is.E.G if the bid is £15 it will bid £16 and you win a record that you were willing to pay £100 for,for £16.

Hope that makes sense :shades:

Pete

it does make sense , though it is totally wrong ....

if the opening bid is £10 and you put a bid in at £100 your bid will show at £11 and will keep bidding incrementally until it reaches your max'm

Social source share

So why hide behind a program and not just enter your highest bid ?

Ebay actions are supposed to stay "open" if a bid is placed,I think it is a minute before the end of said auction, but they dont have time to react in time.Therefore the seller looses out,the other bidder looses out and ebay lose out (dont care too much about ebay) the only one who gains is the one that snipes.

When I sell things I would like the highest price I can get and that does not happen when people snipe !!!!! Besides an auctioned item should be sold to the person who wants to pay the most for it, or am I wrong?????

The word sniper is a good discription of the people who use the program in my opinion and I know that will not go down well with a lot of you but I will just have to live with it.

Social source share

What is is people are trying to hide ?

Their highest bid and/or identity in order to win the item. If you'd be happy to pay the 50p or £1 so might they as well so you could in effect both bid it up to a much higher price.

Personally I think best bet is to stick in your bid or snipe and leave it, if you win smashing if not move on to the next one

Social source share

I reckon the seller should ask a price? if he dosent get it he can withdraw it or take the best offer.

He can. On Ebay you can sell an item as "buy it now" with a "best offer" option. If a buyer makes an offer the seller can review it and choose to accept or refuse. Only one best offer is possible for each buyer.

Ebay actions are supposed to stay "open" if a bid is placed,I think it is a minute before the end of said auction, but they dont have time to react in time.Therefore the seller looses out,the other bidder looses out and ebay lose out (dont care too much about ebay) the only one who gains is the one that snipes.

It's easy. If a buyer actually wants to win the item he snipes. If it's not important if he wins or looses he bids three days ahead and watches the newbies put 25 bids in a row, each $2 higher than the other, in a vain attempt at overbidding. At the end you will win the item at twice the price and probably a fair bit more than if you bought it somewhere else.

I snipe because I actually want to win the item. I do not want to throw half my record buying budget away because some other bidder doesn't understand how the bidding works.

When I sell things I would like the highest price I can get and that does not happen when people snipe !!!!! Besides an auctioned item should be sold to the person who wants to pay the most for it, or am I wrong?????

You are wrong. There is aways a fair bit of strategic thinking going on during an auction.

Also, the item is sold to the bidder who snipes it at the highest price. Is that unfair ? How?

The word sniper is a good discription of the people who use the program in my opinion and I know that will not go down well with a lot of you but I will just have to live with it.

I don't think I will have a problem living with that. shades.gif

Social source share

Quote Lars :-

Also, the item is sold to the bidder who snipes it at the highest price. Is that unfair ? How?

sorry Lars but I have to disagree,I have been involved in auctions for years and the idea is that an auctioned item should go to the highest bidder.All I want is a chance to bid again if someone overbids me.(a true auction) ie a fair chance.

Quote Lars :-

I snipe because I actually want to win the item. I do not want to throw half my record buying budget away because some other bidder doesn't understand how the bidding works.

Do you not think I want to win the item?? Again I want the chance to bid again etc. and I dont care if I have to pay a bit extra if it is something I want.

The only people who think it is ok is those who use it,cheat in computer language)

Quote Lars:-

I don't think I will have a problem living with that.

I dont believe you will !!!!1

Social source share

I have been involved in auctions for years and the idea is that an auctioned item should go to the highest bidder.All I want is a chance to bid again if someone overbids me.(a true auction) ie a fair chance.

As I pointed out in a previous post, ebay is not a true auction.

Why complain about people not entering into the spirit of the auction if it's no such thing in the first place?

Sounds to me like your problem is with ebay, not 'people with the morals of a snake' (your complaint about Pete's name-calling was a bit rich) who use a sniper. 

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Because, If a record is at say $50 with 3 days to go, and I know it is a $400 tune, and I am prepared to pay that, If I put $400 on via ebay, then other bidders will bid, and push the price up towards, or perhaps over my maximum. If however, I put a snipe of $400 on, the record may stay low, with the usual ebay thing of bidding up by a few dollars. So at the end, with mins to go, it might be at say $120-$150. I find usual ebay bidders dont want to pay too much so just edge it up by a $ per bid. Therfore with seconds to go, BANG my snipe goes in, the cagey bidders max is topped, and I get a $400 tune for around $200! Doesn't work every time, but hey, it works often enough! Why pay more for a record than you need too, bidding like an idiot with 3or 4 days to go? Stupid. Some folks might be made of money but I ain't (contrary to poular belief) AS for an autioned item selling to the person who wants to pay the most for it, It does, even if its a sniper! You can only win by sniping if your max is higer than the last bidder, so it goes to the one paying most for it! If you bid on an item and want to pay $400, put $400 on! a sniper will beat you by a couple of dollars, which annoys you, but he may have put a max of $500 on, so even if you'd increased to $450, you would still be beat. At the end, everyone who comes in second in an auction gets beaten by a couple of bucks, thats the way it is. IT is satisfying to watch a good snipe go in tho' and win something for far less than you were prepared to pay, when the guy with seconds to go thinks HE won it! :rolleyes: but then I'm just evil! wicked.gif PS I don't need to hide, If you get sniped by ZAITSEV-45, it was ME! (Vasilly Zaitsev was the greatest sniper of WW2, and fitingly, Zaitsev is Russian for Hare, which is my surname, so not really hiding, just lurking in the shadows and picking off the unwary :thumbsup: )

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

As I pointed out in a previous post, ebay is not a true auction.

Why complain about people not entering into the spirit of the auction if it's no such thing in the first place?

Sounds to me like your problem is with ebay, not 'people with the morals of a snake' (your complaint about Pete's name-calling was a bit rich) who use a sniper.

I stick with my opinion because I dont think it is fair.(sniping) but calling me PERSONALY "a baby" I think is childish but as I said NO OFFENCE TAKEN.!!!!!!

You are right about ebay but only because they do not have the software to stop snipers and they charge too much.

At the moment we have no other options other than ebay but hopefully that will soon change, I hear someone is trying to get an auction up and running, just for soul etc & only vinyl.That could be cool !!!!!

It seems like there is a big need for a fair and true auction.

Once again I would like to thank you all for your in-put on this subject and I respect all your opinions,even though we dont agree,it is always good to discuss !!!

Social source share

Because, If arecord is at say $50 with 3 days to go, and I know it is a $400 tune, and I am prepared to pay that, If I put $400 on via ebay, then other bidders will bid, and push the price up towards, or perhaps over my maximum. If however, I put a snipe of $400 on, the record may stay low, with the usual ebay thing of bidding up by a few dollars. So at the end, with mins to go, it might be at say $120-$150. I find usual ebay bidders dont want to pay too much so just edge it up by a $ per bid. Therfore with seconds to go, BANG my snipe goes in, the cagey bidders max is topped, and I get a $400 tune for around $200! Doesn't work every time, but hey, it works often enough! Why pay more for a record than you need too, bidding like an idiot with 3or 4 days to go? Stupid. Some folks might be made of money but I ain't (contrary to poular belief) AS for an autioned item selling to the person who wants to pay the most for it, It does, even if its a sniper! You can only win by sniping if your max is higer than the last bidder, so it goes to the one paying most for it! If you bid on an item and want to pay $400, put $400 on! a sniper will beat you by a couple of dollars, which annoys you, but he may have put a max of $500 on, so even if you'd increased to $450, you would still be beat. At the end, everyone who comes in second in an auction gets beaten by a couple of bucks, thats the way it is. IT is satisfying to watch a good snipe go in tho' and win something for far less than you were prepared to pay, when the guy with seconds to go thinks HE won it! :rolleyes: but then I'm just evil! wicked.gif

Well you just made me smile and I can understand what you mean. I have done it too,just not with a snipe. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well you just made me smile and I can understand what you mean. I have done it too,just not with a snipe. :thumbsup:

IMO it's just plain daft to enter a bid with more than a few seconds to go. There's just no sense in it.

The cool thing about a sniper is that it will do it in the last couple of seconds (always difficult manually) and while you're asleep, at work etc. 

Interesting discussion, Tich. thumbsup.gif

I use snip.pl, btw. (Just in case you're looking around for a good service. :rolleyes: )

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I use auction snipe if i cant be near my pc only because i put a bid in once nice and early as i was going out and put a bit more on it than the real value of the record as i really wanted it, a bid of £10000 was placed and then removed which inturn exposed my highest bid and then the record was bid upto my maximum bid by the person who placed the £10000 bid and i won the item. the point of this is i believe that the person who bid me up was either the same person selling the record or a friend with a ploy to get as much for the record as they can, i know not everyone is like this but there really are crooks selling stuff on ebay and i for one do not want to get my fingers burnt again.

so for me if im not at the pc to bid myself in the last seconds of the auction i will use my auction snipe.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

IMO it's just plain daft to enter a bid with more than a few seconds to go. There's just no sense in it.

The cool thing about a sniper is that it will do it in the last couple of seconds (always difficult manually) and while you're asleep, at work etc. 

I use snip.pl, btw. (Just in case you're looking around for a good service. :rolleyes: )

Whats this like? just curious as I always have used bidnapper for years, and you can't alter your snipe within th last 6 mins. Not usualy a problem, but sometimes you might have bid a tad low, cos the price was down, and then in the last 10 mins it goes up quick, above your snipe. Is snip.pl the same?

Social source share

The cool thing about a sniper is that it will do it in the last couple of seconds (always difficult manually) and while you're asleep, at work etc.

13 daft buggers HERE all within 2 days of the record being listed and over 4 days to go. Price gone from $200 to almost $1700. If everyone used snipe would put a stop to the crazy bidding wars or mates bumping the price up. May be everyone should be allowed just one bid only, the highest they are prepared to pay?

I can see Tich's arguement for keeping the auction "live" until bidding has ceased for say ten minutes then close, JM operates a system like this I think. But then again you know full well the end time so just put in what you are prepared to pay, if you lose out you then have no complaints.

As for snipers if you can't beat 'em join 'em.

Social source share

Whats this like? just curious as I always have used bidnapper for years, and you can't alter your snipe within th last 6 mins. Not usualy a problem, but sometimes you might have bid a tad low, cos the price was down, and then in the last 10 mins it goes up quick, above your snipe. Is snip.pl the same?

According to this you can change outside the last minute.

https://www.snip.pl/en/help/29

I've used it for yonks and it's been 100%. Cost 0.15 EUROS for a successful shot, and you can have 5 goes for free to try it out.  thumbsup.gif

Edited by tony_i
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert