Lee Rogers - Premimium Stuff

Lee Rogers - 'Sock Some Love Power To Me / The Same Things That Make You Laugh' - Premium Stuff

Bought this a while back for quite a few quid, when it arrived was a bit unsure of it's 'origin'....different shade of yellow than other Premium Stuff labels, quite a bit of dead wax in the run out grooves, label title a bit skewiff on one side, recording low-fi.

Strangely enough, i've only ever seen copies for sale in the UK, never seen one from a USA seller yet....it's listed quite high in the price guides but no mention anywhere of it ever being booted. Macca (on here) said his copy was the same and others he's seen are too, but they are 100% originals.

I'm still not convinced, anyone know anything about this 45?

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

• Replies 45
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Had mine about 15 years... looks ok to me.

Probably me being paranoid. Manship say's there are no bootlegs. Mine is a slightly darker yellow than the other stuff on the label, veering more towards orange, the others are lemon yellow. Side two is printed slightly off centre, and like I said, low-fi recording. I know there are white demo's with only the 'Sock Some...' side and not the brilliant flip.

The guy I bought it off had it at least 15 years too.

Social source share

Can't imagine it being booted at the time as it wasn't popular enough - more of a Detroit collectors 45.

Had both the issue and the single sided demo - no obvious difference between the markings in the dead wax as far as I can remember.

Kept the issue for the flip and sold the demo on a few years ago.

Social source share

Prices range from £40 - 70. It's the demand for the flip 'The Same Things That Make You Laugh'...so I was informed.

Well, it's the much better side I suppose. Wish I bought more in the mid 80s now. I must dig out from the division 2 box.

Social source share

Well, it's the much better side I suppose. Wish I bought more in the mid 80s now. I must dig out from the division 2 box.

There's another superb stormer by the man on the flip of 'cracked Up Over You'....'How Are You Fixed For Love'...(Wheelsville). Out and out crunching Detroit Northern!

Social source share

I love Lee Rogers... think he's fab!

As far as i'm aware it was never booted... here's a scan of my issue... as you can see the label is printed off center too.

Also have 'Same Things' on Wheelsville with 'How are you fixed for Love' on the flip

and also have 'How are you Fixed for Love' again but with 'Love and War' on the flip.

A lot of his stuff was released a number of times.. have some single sided Wheelsville too.. will try and dig them out.

Social source share

Dave's Lee Rogers up to Division 1 now?

My Premium Stuff 45 in the Premiership Box!

I know where you're both coming from with the promotion / relegation issues, but the awkward thing remains the transfer costs.....although I suppose with the transfer window being closed, we'll have to rely on new discoveries :rolleyes:

Social source share

Lee Rogers - 'Sock Some Love Power To Me / The Same Things That Make You Laugh' - Premium Stuff

Bought this a while back for quite a few quid, when it arrived was a bit unsure of it's 'origin'....different shade of yellow than other Premium Stuff labels, quite a bit of dead wax in the run out grooves, label title a bit skewiff on one side, recording low-fi.

Strangely enough, i've only ever seen copies for sale in the UK, never seen one from a USA seller yet....it's listed quite high in the price guides but no mention anywhere of it ever being booted. Macca (on here) said his copy was the same and others he's seen are too, but they are 100% originals.

I'm still not convinced, anyone know anything about this 45?

I am sorry to tell you that it was booted and you have described the boot. The original is the same colour as the rest of the issues.

I was sold a boot by a well known dealer in the eighties, he did not know that it had been booted, got my money back £6.00 if I remember correctly and soon found an original for the same money.

Kind regards

Paul

Social source share

I am sorry to tell you that it was booted and you have described the boot. The original is the same colour as the rest of the issues.

I was sold a boot by a well known dealer in the eighties, he did not know that it had been booted, got my money back £6.00 if I remember correctly and soon found an original for the same money.

Kind regards

Paul

Really?

So when was it booted?

Have to say i'm surprised... you wait till i see that lad who gave it to me!

Just as well that i've got the demo! :rolleyes:

Can you post a scan of your original please... both sides?

Social source share

Really?

So when was it booted?

Have to say i'm surprised... you wait till i see that lad who gave it to me!

Just as well that i've got the demo! :rolleyes:

Can you post a scan of your original please... both sides?

I'll do it tonight when I get home, I expect your WD is single sided but the numbers in the run out groove and the amount of dead wax should be the same as the issue.

Kind regards

Paul

Social source share

post-4279-1175541253_thumb.jpgpost-4279-1175541123_thumb.jpgpost-4279-1175541031_thumb.jpg

A few more rare ones from Lee Rogers-

Play A Fair Game - United Sound Studio Acetate recorded at the same time as Sad Affair for DTown

Second Thoughts - Platinum Sound recorded in 1979 (I wonder what the album is like)

It Must Be Love - 80's revamped DTown (part of Platinum Sound)

Regards

Paul

Social source share

could also be like those 'I have faith in you' RICTIC counterfeits that pikey's dog was on about recently. I bought mine from a reputable dealer in 1989, as an original copy which I then sold on, in good faith of course, at keele in 1993 for 25 quid.

so to recap, the supposedly dodgy one is the pale yellow one or the orangey yellow one?

mine was the paler one, if I remember well...

Edited by macca
Social source share

Looking at the scans, my copy is the pale yellow one - the same shade of yellow as all of the other releases on the label.

I bought mine from a general record dealer who had bought in a a shed load of originals with only the odd boot mixed in.

Did well for my £1.50.

Social source share

Looking at the scans, my copy is the pale yellow one - the same shade of yellow as all of the other releases on the label.

I bought mine from a general record dealer who had bought in a a shed load of originals with only the odd boot mixed in.

Did well for my £1.50.

Bought my one sided demo at Leighton Buzzard.

Got given the other recently as a gift :thumbsup: ... could well be one less Scot living in North Wales soon laugh.gif

Social source share

• 1 year later...

But the obvious question: Why did they bother booting it?????

Ian D :thumbup:

Well it did gain a bit of popularity in the early 90's and I heard it played then at several venues. The price of the original increased respectivly to about £40-£50. I did not know about the boot until I read this post, its finding out things like this that make "Look In Your Box" well worthwhile.

Bought mine many years ago from the Soul Bowl, its the same yellew as the other releases and the same good quality of vinyl/recording reproduction.

Great record from Jack The Playboy Rogers!!

regards, Mr Lucky.

Social source share

But the obvious question: Why did they bother booting it?????

Ian D biggrin.gif

Like Stardom say's it gained some popularity but think it was the flip 'Same Things That Make You Laugh' that was starting to grab attention, remember several soul buddies asking me if I had it and commenting on the flip, that's why I bought it.

If it is a boot, then I paid £60 to some conning b'stard!! :thumbup:

Social source share

post-4279-1175541253_thumb.jpgpost-4279-1175541123_thumb.jpgpost-4279-1175541031_thumb.jpg

A few more rare ones from Lee Rogers-

Play A Fair Game - United Sound Studio Acetate recorded at the same time as Sad Affair for DTown

Second Thoughts - Platinum Sound recorded in 1979 (I wonder what the album is like)

It Must Be Love - 80's revamped DTown (part of Platinum Sound)

Regards

Paul

Paul didnt D town later recordings move to the west coast ?

BAZ A

Social source share

It doesn't surprise me, in the 70s it was far easier to take original to New York and press a few 100 than find them.

Can you send me the "dodgy" Premium Stuff #6 registered mail so I can document it. I'll of course pay the postage + some.

I have a promo at the mo'

PROMO deadwax is 14.20mm wide with a 3 turn run off.

matrix holding the 8 @ 6 o'clock #8-10 directly opposite @ 12 o'clock is tiny inverted URM sitting between the second and third run-out groove. The flip is "blank" and the stock copy could well have a different or extra matrix details.

I'm out of stock @ the moment, it sells more or less instantly @ £100 in Mint to Ex+ condition.

I've never noticed a counterfeit of this title, but then again over recent years I've found many previously undocumented.

Darrel Banks on Atco, Mel Williams - Modern DJ, Sandy Wynns - Touch of -Champion and many, many others all pressed at the same New York plant. If you really dig into the counterfeit market their are really loads of them. I'm trying very hard to get them all documented.

A tip, check Detroit Land Apples counterfeit for the style of vinyl and masterplate these New York fakes were made from, the "Shotgun" label 45 is a very good example.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, either PM or phone 01664 464526.

john

Edited by john manship
Social source share

I'm trying very hard to get them all documented.

john

Hi John,

Will you be publishing another Bootleg, Counterfeit & Reissue guide in the near future? Its a really helpful book, especially for the collecting novice who is trying to decipher the difference between originals and a.n.others!

Al

Social source share

Hi John,

Will you be publishing another Bootleg, Counterfeit & Reissue guide in the near future? Its a really helpful book, especially for the collecting novice who is trying to decipher the difference between originals and a.n.others!

Al

Al,

We have started work on it, but it is a massive job, it will be FULL COLOUR with all the labels scan of boots/counterfeits & the originals to compare, + pointers on what to check on the matrix's.

It is long-overdue but the job unfortunately gets bigger every day.. ie this thread.

John

Social source share

Al,

We have started work on it, but it is a massive job, it will be FULL COLOUR with all the labels scan of boots/counterfeits & the originals to compare, + pointers on what to check on the matrix's.

It is long-overdue but the job unfortunately gets bigger every day.. ie this thread.

John

hope get a mention ? i buy a few lol :unsure:

Social source share

Al,

John

The sooner the better. Look forward to it being issued... or should I say reissued!! :unsure:

Al

Social source share

Also have 'Same Things' on Wheelsville with 'How are you fixed for Love' on the flip

So is the wheelsville copy ok and how much do they go for?

Social source share

So is the wheelsville copy ok and how much do they go for?

I've just sold one for £20.

Also sold an original of SSLPTM for £60 not too long ago...mint stock copy.

Still have a clutch of various D.Town and Premium Stuff discs by him for sale on my site.

A great artist.

:lol:

post-9555-1213383178_thumb.jpg

post-9555-1213383200_thumb.jpg

post-9555-1213383225_thumb.jpg

post-9555-1213383253_thumb.jpg

post-9555-1213383287_thumb.jpg

post-9555-1213383369_thumb.jpg

post-9555-1213383396_thumb.jpg

post-9555-1213383421_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anoraks Corner
Social source share

Al,

John

I'm gonna bootleg your bootleg guide and get mine out first LOL!

Frank :lol:

Social source share

LEE ROGERS

PREMIUM 6. (boot??)

Darker shade yellow label,large run out groove.Same things that make you laugh..340..250..83-1 scratched. Sock some..8-10..340..83-2 scratched in run out. I was told by the seller it was originally bought in 1986 down 100club. We both never thought this was ever booted,i sold my Wheelsville single sided demo and bought this copy when it came up for sale..so was really suprised to read this.

any more info/help? cheers nick.

post-4445-1213702144_thumb.jpg

post-4445-1213702163_thumb.jpg

Edited by nick hackett
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert