Great Way To Make Money, Or A Ripoff?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=016

I cant make my mind up about this guy and wonder what you make of it. He is selling advertisments from old music mags from the 60s onwards. There are some great images and would make great posters etc for a record room or office etc (you have to wade through loads of pages to find the "soul" related adds). What I find funny is he has put a watermark on all the photos to stop people stealing his images! I asked him for a discount as I wanted about £200 worth but he didnt want to know so I only bought a few.

Is it very enterprising, is it worth cutting up all my old Black Music/Blues & Souls? and are there copyright issues

I welcome your views

Blake

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

He does state: This is not a reprint or reproduction, IT IS AN ORIGINAL, so I take it they've not been cut out of magazines but are legitimate promo material?

Social source share

He does state: This is not a reprint or reproduction, IT IS AN ORIGINAL, so I take it they've not been cut out of magazines but are legitimate promo material?

Not as I read it, they are original pages from magazines. In his feedback the last negative comment says i thought I was getting a poster and all I got was a page from a magazine. Still very enterprising though.

Blake

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Not as I read it, they are original pages from magazines. In his feedback the last negative comment says i thought I was getting a poster and all I got was a page from a magazine. Still very enterprising though.

Blake

The link you've provided shows Rose on a mail out. These would've been sent to record shops etc before the release of the track. As the guy says in his blurb 'these would have been seen by music people' or whatever it says...I had heaps of similar things from my time working in record shops but not as sexy as the version you've posted. I've got one mailout from Soul City Records for Billy Butler's Right Track. It measures approx 6inches by 8inches. The blurb reads:

Billy Butler is a talented young singer who has a more famous brother in Jerry Butler, but we believe his lack of fame will not hold him back from having a hit in Britain if his record 'The Right Track' is widely heard by the public. Infectious is maybe an over worked word but there is no other word to describe this groovey number.....Although a natural for discotheques, we feel that given the chance this record could reach and appeal to a much wider market...Billy Butler is on The Right Track for a HIT! Release date April 18th 1969...

Written in an age that was far less commercially agressive.... :lol: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Having read his blurb again, he is being ambiguous....you are probably right, Blake - this is a press AD only published once in advance of release. It's not a mailout as I thought....shame :lol: Jo - sod it, I'm going to email him and ask him....lol - you've got me curious now

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Blake

Don't chop up your B&S :thumbsup: If you've got any under No 18 ie 1-18 (inc. Home of the Blues), I'll look after them for you plus it'll complete my set :lol: You can have visiting rights :( Jo

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

I just clicked on the link to the "alleged poster" and immediately I noticed it has a page number 13 in the bottom right corner, plus in the left corner a magazine title and date.

I hate to say it but to me the evidence looks overwhelmingly in favour of it being a page cut out of a magazine. Why take the risk ?

Social source share

Hi Blake,

I've got THAT very advertisement.

It was originally in BillBoard... I think.

I bought loads of these, early eBay (98 ish) and they are sized just less than A3 and still make FANTASTIC wall decor for a Record room.

As authentic memorabilia, I reckon they're pretty good value and look teriffic!

Sean

Social source share

Hi Blake,

I've got THAT very advertisement.

It was originally in BillBoard... I think.

I bought loads of these, early eBay (98 ish) and they are sized just less than A3 and still make FANTASTIC wall decor for a Record room.

As authentic memorabilia, I reckon they're pretty good value and look teriffic!

Sean

I agree Sean, I have some in the post as we speak, there is some fantastic Areatha and Jackie Wilson material as well as Motown stuff and at a fiver a go are great value and pretty unique. Thought about getting them laser copied and knocking a few out :wicked: btw the Rose Brooks looks like its from Record World but a lot of the others are from Cashbox.

How was the Pitches spot at Prestatyn?

Soon be SE

Best B&N

Social source share

I don't see the problem. :wicked:

The seller rips pages from old music magazines and sells them.

The description states (my underlinings):

This ORIGINAL hard-to-find Promo advertisement measures 10 x 13 and is in Excellent condition. This is not a reprint or reproduction, IT IS AN ORIGINAL. Unlike an art print or a concert poster, this advertisement was designed to be seen by music industry professionals - and was published usually only ONCE. A rare and distinctive piece to be matted and framed a great edition to your collection.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Why is everything a rip off with us guys on soul source, you have a choice buy or not to buy, hats off to the guy if he can sell pages from old magazines. By the way this isn't new it's been done for years, I remember people doing this back in the 70's with old mags from the 1960's. In the early days of ebay, I bought a number of pages from American magazines, out of curiosity, I didn't feel ripped off. One of the major things wrong with this country, is we don't like success or someone suceeding, so we moan about someone when they find a way of making a few bob or two.

Social source share

How was the Pitches spot at Prestatyn?

Soon be SE

Best B&N

Pitches 4 hour spot at Prestatyn was AWESOME.... but you only heard the from me! :lol:

Seriously though, it was a Gloves Off, Shit Kickin' Pitches revival of the highest order.

All 100% Top Drawer, Stone Soul Gems.

Looking forward to SE.

Off to Spain in a few hours... but will be back b4 Yarmuff.

C U Then mate

:wicked:

Sean

Social source share

I don't see the problem. :wicked:

The seller rips pages from old music magazines and sells them.

The description states (my underlinings):

This ORIGINAL hard-to-find Promo advertisement measures 10 x 13 and is in Excellent condition. This is not a reprint or reproduction, IT IS AN ORIGINAL. Unlike an art print or a concert poster, this advertisement was designed to be seen by music industry professionals - and was published usually only ONCE. A rare and distinctive piece to be matted and framed a great edition to your collection.

Who mentioned problem??

Social source share

Why is everything a rip off with us guys on soul source, you have a choice buy or not to buy, hats off to the guy if he can sell pages from old magazines. By the way this isn't new it's been done for years, I remember people doing this back in the 70's with old mags from the 1960's. In the early days of ebay, I bought a number of pages from American magazines, out of curiosity, I didn't feel ripped off. One of the major things wrong with this country, is we don't like success or someone suceeding, so we moan about someone when they find a way of making a few bob or two.

Your right...........just bought a load of music mags.........watch this space :wicked::lol:

Blake

Social source share

:shades::D:D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert