Jackie Edwards

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Lookin for a bit help on ska man Jackie Edwards, a lad from my work is lookin for any cds with his soul stuff on.......Probably one for Pete Smith this.....any help would be appreciated.

Andy.

There's a great CD that came out just a couple of months ago - on Trojan/Sanctuary - called "I Feel So Bad". It's got all of Jackie's noteworthy soul sides on it, and no reggae at all.

Should be easy to get from Amazon, Play or anywhere else really.

TONE (NOT PETE)

Social source share

There's a great CD that came out just a couple of months ago - on Trojan/Sanctuary - called "I Feel So Bad". It's got all of Jackie's noteworthy soul sides on it, and no reggae at all.

Should be easy to get from Amazon, Play or anywhere else really.

TONE (NOT PETE)

====

i was hammering l.o.v.e last year at venues,,,gr8 record on UK island...

Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

If it's just soul you want, "I Feel So Bad" has most of his UK/soul stuff. If you want a broader sample, get Trojan's "This Is My Story: A History Of Jamaica's Greatest Balladeer". My only complaint about the Trojan comp is it's missing "Keep On Running".

Social source share

Guest hammy

Jackie Edwards Band - Never Again on 'MILLIE AND HER BOYFRIENDS", a Trojan Comp. A pumping Henniganeque instrumental pounder - worth a listen I think.

Hammy

Social source share

Jackie Edwards Band - Never Again on 'MILLIE AND HER BOYFRIENDS", a Trojan Comp. A pumping Henniganeque instrumental pounder - worth a listen I think.

Hammy

Thanks lads, will pass on the info and will look out the tracks mentioned...

Hammy a recomendation indeed mate, anything with the Hennigan stamp is 100 out of 10......Should see you on Sat at the Woodside to hear Guys exquisite style and and taste on the wheels of steel.

Andy.

Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

Hammy

The band was Leslie Kong's studio band. Not sure who was in charge of the music. It was either Drumbago (Arkland Parks) or Roland Alphonso. I need to hear it to figure it out.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The band was Leslie Kong's studio band. Not sure who was in charge of the music. It was either Drumbago (Arkland Parks) or Roland Alphonso. .

Probably neither of your suggestions, in this instance, as I'm pretty sure that it was recorded here in the UK when both artists were resident on Blighty's shores. In which case it would be a bunch of old white musos doing their thing under the direction of, most likely, Syd Dale...

Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

Probably neither of your suggestions, in this instance, as I'm pretty sure that it was recorded here in the UK when both artists were resident on Blighty's shores. In which case it would be a bunch of old white musos doing their thing under the direction of, most likely, Syd Dale...

That's true, the EP is probably UK musicians. It's possible that they also recorded a version in JA before they did the UK version. I'll have to keep an eye out for a few of the JA pressings of the tracks on the EP.

Social source share

It's a group named the 'Sound Syndicate'. And you're right, it's a UK recording. They also turn up (this time actually credited) on an Owen Gray soul side on Island.

Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

Do you know which 45? Or at least if it's a pink or white label?

Soul Syndicate was also a studio band in JA in the early 70s, though I don't see them listed with Owen Gray in Roots Knotty Roots.

Social source share

Do you know which 45? Or at least if it's a pink or white label?

Soul Syndicate was also a studio band in JA in the early 70s, though I don't see them listed with Owen Gray in Roots Knotty Roots.

Slight name slip, sorry, it's 'Sound System' and they are credited with Owen Gray on Island WI 258 (red/white) 'Take Me Serious' / 'You Don't Know Like I Know'. Two good dancers, one obviously a version of Sam & Dave, the other a nice original soul tune.

Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

Thanks. I can attach some more info to that. It's a Chris Blackwell production from 1965, probably in the UK. The Soul System name was added in the UK. Not sure if it's the band or not.

Social source share

Thanks. I can attach some more info to that. It's a Chris Blackwell production from 1965, probably in the UK. The Soul System name was added in the UK. Not sure if it's the band or not.

According to Roger Dalke's series of 'Record Selector' books (well worth getting if you still can), the instrumental track 'Never Again' WI 253 (and the Millie l.p) is definitely by 'The Sound System'. I also remember finding out another way but can't place how at the moment. Very authentic USA soul sound that's for sure!

Are you responsible for the Roots Knotty Roots publication? I was involved with the 'Scorcher' Ska/Reggae price guide about 7 years ago, as well as my own fanzine 'Time Longer Than Rope'.

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

Are you responsible for the Roots Knotty Roots publication? I was involved with the 'Scorcher' Ska/Reggae price guide about 7 years ago, as well as my own fanzine 'Time Longer Than Rope'.

I'm just helping with some of the database stuff and adding US stuff I turn up that isn't listed yet. Mike Turner is solely responsible right now.

Social source share

Guest hammy

Thanks lads, will pass on the info and will look out the tracks mentioned...

Hammy a recomendation indeed mate, anything with the Hennigan stamp is 100 out of 10......Should see you on Sat at the Woodside to hear Guys exquisite style and and taste on the wheels of steel.

Andy.

Hi Andy

I'll try to make it. Living down in London now though - so all dependent on getting time off etc etc

Hope you're keeping well.

Hammy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert