Favourite Blaxploitation Songs

Guest cyrus

Some great choices here !!

I also like 'Whitey on the moon " BY Gil Scott Heron, a priceless time capsule of black life in the ghettos whilst white man was jumping around the lunar surface.

something off same LP is "The revolution will not be televised" ( title name of LP) couldn,t find a video clip of Whitey track but this is ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTCQSk2l8bc...ated&search=

pete m

Social source share

• Replies 68
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Some great choices here !!

I also like 'Whitey on the moon " BY Gil Scott Heron, a priceless time capsule of black life in the ghettos whilst white man was jumping around the lunar surface.

something off same LP is "The revolution will not be televised" ( title name of LP) couldn,t find a video clip of Whitey track but this is ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTCQSk2l8bc...ated&search=

pete m

YES, GREAT RECORDS - BUT THEY'RE NOT 'BLAXPLOITATION'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Not 'precisely' at all - JB is an homage to Blaxploitation moves, not a pastiche. the two things are totally different. Anyway, the blaxploitation genre lasted from about 1971-1976, nothing later than that really counts, especially not a film as well scripted and acted as JB was and is...

I'm not sure that I totally agree with that at all.

:unsure:

Social source share

Guest cyrus

I always thought The Boss - James Brown was a killer!!!

Also I've Got You Right Where I Want You - Jim Gilstrap (3days of the condor)

Social source share

Guest cardysharpy

Not 'precisely' at all - JB is an homage to Blaxploitation moves, not a pastiche. the two things are totally different. Anyway, the blaxploitation genre lasted from about 1971-1976, nothing later than that really counts, especially not a film as well scripted and acted as JB was and is...

But since this has now turned into a pastiche of a Blaxplotation thread, and anything goes, let's give a big shout out to some other notable records made by African Americans that have appeared in films, shall we? I've always liked that "Ol' Man River" by Paul Robeson, as featured in "Showboat". or how about Lena Horne singing the title song of "Stormy Weather" in the film of the same name.

The three black crows singing "When I See An Elephant Fly" in "Dumbo" are pretty good, too...

Agreed Tone that pastiche and homage are two different things, but I think it's a matter of personal opinion as to which one of these it is. To my mind (and I don't particularly like the film), it's more imitation than made in honour of. Of course, I'm sure if you do a web search for what Tarrantino describes it as he's probably said it's a homage to the genre; after all it wouldn't be very artistic to say "I fancied copying some of those bad blaxsploitation movies from the seventies because the images portrayed in them are kinda cool at the moment and lot's of people will go and pay to see my movie".

As for the other films, I can't comment... but Dumbo? Isn't that just a cartoon about a flying elephant that was made in the forties? :unsure:

Jason

Social source share

pic of Shaft in africa 45 wouldn't upload, got the main theme on too, which is just as good.

Not a plug, just of interest to this thread: one of the rarest blaxploitation soundtracks around by J J Johnson & Geraldine Jones, released by the film's private production company:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:IT&ih=013

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

late onto this and i was going to say the Martha (Reeves) and the Sweet things on Willie D soundtrack, but see Dave already has - great stuff.

I see even the 2004 rerelease CD is over $50 on amazon

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I can find nothing even vaguely exploitational in "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)", wonderful record though it undoubtedly is. And that's why it, or any other records that do not come directly from the genre of movies in question, don't belong in a thread about "Blaxploitation".

IMO, of course...

TONE

It does appear in Jackie Brown though Tone, which is a pastiche of a blaxploitation film. :wicked:

Jason

Quite, but I think that movies such as these have confused some people on here. The Delfonics' sides were featured heavily in the Tarantino movie 'Jackie Brown' which is based on films such as "Foxy Brown" (soundtrack by Willie Hutch) and "Cleopatra Jones" (featuring songs by Joe Simon and Millie Jackson) etc.- that is to say 70s "Blaxploitation" films in the original and TRUE sense of the term.

Pam Grier of Jackie Brown fame was in fact the original "Foxy Brown" of course! Only music written for, or used in such films should qualify in this discussion or folks, please alter your personal 'definition' of the term and stop confusing us all!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

...The three black crows singing "When I See An Elephant Fly" in "Dumbo" are pretty good, too...

Tony I agree with your comments on what constitutes 'Blaxpoitation', however the sly black crows in 'Dumbo'? Surely you of all people must have realised that the crow characters represent a non-too-subtle reference to the "Jim Crow" laws (which had the effect of maintaining racial apartheid in the Southern United States) This reference would not have escaped the attention of the original 1940s American cinema audiences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crow_laws

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony I agree with your comments on what constitutes 'Blaxpoitation', however the sly black crows in 'Dumbo'? Surely you of all people must have realised that the crow characters represent a non-too-subtle reference to the "Jim Crow" laws (which had the effect of maintaining racial apartheid in the Southern United States) This reference would not have escaped the attention of the original 1940s American cinema audiences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crow_laws

Didn't escape my attention, either - it was a calculated attempt at irony on my part that seems to have gone unchecked...

...Great tune, though!

BTW and in response to Jason, regardless of your Tarantino quote, 'Jackie Brown' is pure homage, whereas something like the brilliant "I'm Gonna Get you Sucka" (a wonderfully funny movie) and its spiritual follow-up "A Low Down Dirty Shame" are 100% pastiche. If you watch them back to back with JB you will see what I'm saying to qualify this viewpoint.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert