Ironing Records

Pete S

So if you've got a record with an edge warp, this is what they sound like after the warp has been removed with an iron. This is bloody difficult though. The bargain Bobby Wells I bought off Mick Smith wouldn't play on my deck at all so there was only one thing for it - the steam iron. I covered it with a damp teatowel and then applied pressure until the plastic became flexible, then remove the towel and quickly press the vinyl into shape. Note, you'll burn your thumbs in this part of the process. Anyway, the end result is enclosed as a tiny mp3, it's not great but it does now play.

Social source share

• Replies 45
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

So if you've got a record with an edge warp, this is what they sound like after the warp has been removed with an iron. This is bloody difficult though. The bargain Bobby Wells I bought off Mick Smith wouldn't play on my deck at all so there was only one thing for it - the steam iron. I covered it with a damp teatowel and then applied pressure until the plastic became flexible, then remove the towel and quickly press the vinyl into shape. Note, you'll burn your thumbs in this part of the process. Anyway, the end result is enclosed as a tiny mp3, it's not great but it does now play.

Pete, I never done anything like this myself but i'm sure i've read somewhere that two pieces of glass and natural sunlight could correct a warp i.e. place the 45 between the two pieces of glass and secure, place glass in direct sunlight (difficult i know in this country...lol) add weight to the glass and the warp may correct???? worth a try if you feel the need i guess.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Pete, I never done anything like this myself but i'm sure i've read somewhere that two pieces of glass and natural sunlight could correct a warp i.e. place the 45 between the two pieces of glass and secure, place glass in direct sunlight (difficult i know in this country...lol) add weight to the glass and the warp may correct???? worth a try if you feel the need i guess.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I actually have tried that Mark - well thats a lie - I put it in the oven - and ended up with a 14" splodge of plastic

Social source share

Yeah there was, I only bought this up because of the experiment I just did and the fact you could hear the result

I've no problem with you re-visiting it Pete, it was intersting to hear some of the half baked and near genius 'solutions' people came up with. :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

:lol:

Don't worry Pete there are hundreds of copies available !!

Not laughing at your misfortune mate, just the irony of it.

Anyway, you could always play it out as the non christmas version minus the bells intro.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

manship has some kind of contraption to take out warps. He charges for the service so only realy worth bothering if its a big money record.

or is that a service he offers only for records he is then going to sell.......

A few companies make record flattening machines, essentially two sheets of glass which are heated and then cooled very slowly so that the vinyl flattens without distortion. Prices between £600 and a grand I think.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_det...?Title_ID=14116 Roughly a grand for this one. Clearaudio make one too.

For an interesting discussion on flattening warped records, inter alia, using coyotes, roadrunners and bird seed:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-21851.html

Social source share

I had a record a couple of years ago that had a bad warp so i stuck it in a bok and put it in the book shelf. It was a rare jazz EP so it could take all the time it needed as I'm not a big fan of jazz. The trouble now is that I can't remember in what book I put it. :lol:

Will try Pete's way next time!

Social source share

sure saw once that you can get a turntable designed to play warped records ??

bit off on a over the top solution, but did smile at the thought of djs on a budget lugging one around

wasn't this those laser players that can apparently play through warps, scratches, jelly babies etc. ? :lol:

Social source share

Guest NorthernDancer

HI. Took a warp out of a record with a hairdryer an then between 2 solid books works great... :no:

All the best brummie carl.... :)

Social source share

I'm a bit dissapointed, as I thought the above was an informative vid featuring Pete showing us how to iron records! :thumbsup:

And I thought it was Pete asking us what records we listened to... while we're doing the ironing!

shades.gif

But if it's about ironing out the warps in records, I'm afraid I've not had as much success as Pete.

I recently turned a slightly warped (otherwise mint) copy of Gladys Knight "No One Can Love You More" that I picked up for a quid at a records fair into a Black Plastic Bin Liner, in one foul swoop!

:angry:

Sean

Social source share

And I thought it was Pete asking us what records we listened to... while we're doing the ironing!

shades.gif

But if it's about ironing out the warps in records, I'm afraid I've not had as much success as Pete.

I recently turned a slightly warped (otherwise mint) copy of Gladys Knight "No One Can Love You More" that I picked up for a quid at a records fair into a Black Plastic Bin Liner, in one foul swoop!

:angry:

Sean

I remember the ironing board in your record room Sean. thumbsup.gif

(And the sewing machine and the sink with the washing up in it :thumbsup: )

ps, saw Great Uncle Malcs post about starting a new job. Why did you let him go ? Thought he'd been with your family for years ? Didn't he work on your great grandads potato farm when he retired after Crimea ? :thumbsup:

Social source share

HI. Took a warp out of a record with a hairdryer an then between 2 solid books works great... :thumbsup:

All the best brummie carl.... :thumbsup:

Used this method myself, have to lay the disc in middle of opened cookbook or like (big heavy job) and circulate hairdryer on low heat setting at a consistant speed so the heat is not concentrated in one area.

As the vinyl softens, close book and add more weight to top and leave to cool thumbsup.gif

Edited by Mace
Social source share

I remember the ironing board in your record room Sean. :thumbsup:

(And the sewing machine and the sink with the washing up in it :thumbsup: )

ps, saw Great Uncle Malcs post about starting a new job. Why did you let him go ? Thought he'd been with your family for years ? Didn't he work on your great grandads potato farm when he retired after Crimea ? wicked.gif

That's right Steve. Family ties and all that.

But after the Famine we had to let few of the old 'uns go.

Things were tough, around Galway & Roscommon. Even the Tinkers that used to scrounge off the land ended up emigrating... to Sheffield, I seem to recall.

rolleyes.gif

Social source share

That's right Steve. Family ties and all that.

But after the Famine we had to let few of the old 'uns go.

Things were tough, around Galway & Roscommon. Even the Tinkers that used to scrounge off the land ended up emigrating... to Sheffield, I seem to recall.

rolleyes.gif

Thats right, but you can still see where we used to live in the John Wayne filimm ( :thumbsup: ) "The Quiet Man". You remember the beautiful cottage that Sean Thornton bought , White Amorn ? Well behind that was the tip where our caravan was :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thats right, but you can still see where we used to live in the John Wayne filimm ( :thumbsup: ) "The Quiet Man". You remember the beautiful cottage that Sean Thornton bought , White Amorn ? Well behind that was the tip where our caravan was :thumbsup:

Ah, shame about the Van Stevie.

T'was a helluva fire!

Would have warped a few records would that!

Cuts Back to thread topic before the abuse starts!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Guest mel brat

So if you've got a record with an edge warp...

I've always found this very difficult to rectify. Have tried everything in the past from a hot hairdryer to most of the other suggestions offered here, with very mixed results. Some ended up worse than before after cooling! (I think perhaps the natural stresses in the plastic caused during the initial pressing play a large part, particularly in the case of concave/convex warps)

One problem is that the label area is slightly raised from the rest of the record, so getting it absolutely flat is nigh impossible. Cutting holes in two pieces of cardboard and placing them over the label area before hot pressing it can help.

Any reliable and failsafe solution for this perennial headache should be patented without delay however.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

wasn't this those laser players that can apparently play through warps, scratches, jelly babies etc.....

Fink dey's callin' it a 'CD playa' or sumfink, innit? :thumbsup:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Bogue

This is true.

Tis not so it isn't ! :thumbsup:

I did have a go at straightening an edge warp myself once, nothing too expensive, but a nice copy of 'Marv Johnson - I Miss You Baby' none the less.

Anyway, i put it on the edge of a flat table with some heavy books & other weights covering the half of the record where the warp was, with the other half overhanging the edge of the table, so as to try & counter act the effect of the raised middle that Mel talked about.

As the room i was doing this in is a dorma type in the roof it get's quite hot, so i thought i would leave it a few days & see what happened.

I stood back, admired my handywork then turned round & bent down to pick up some other records that were on the floor. Snap !! as i bent down i caught my arse on the overhanging piece of Marv & snapped it clean in half ! :angry:

Changing subject slightly,don't know about curing edge warps, but using a hairdryer is the best way for getting stickers off records, though i guess most of you know that.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Bogue mate, thats where they keep you laugh.gif

:thumbsup:

:P

Sorry Steve, i missed that one, oive been freebasing.

:yes: I get let out some weekends & on a full moon !!

Social source share

Had a right nightmare in the 70's when I lent a load of motown records to a mate who had underfloor heating that used to get really hot, he left them lying around I and ended up with a load of warped records back. Annoying thing was they were all some of my best

I tried ironing them but just ended up with elliptical records that played through without jumping but were way out of tune. Still think about them every time I iron the kids Hama beads.

Social source share

nah, fairly sure it was a sort of traditional sort of turntable thing Martin

what happened to those laser players ?

Hi Mike-

Good question, what did happen to those Laser Players and were they ever cheap enough to be a realistic option.

I always rather hoped that they would be, one day. :thumbsup:

I did a quick search and found this >>> LINK <<<

Surely they could be made cheaper than that. :rolleyes:

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

I did a quick search and found this >>> LINK <<<

Surely they could be made cheaper than that. :unsure:

Oh joy! Now I only have to sell 18 of my 20 most valuable records....

top1.jpg

Social source share

Guest mel brat

...using a hairdryer is the best way for getting stickers off records, though i guess most of you know that.

No, No, No! Don't! Soak it well in lighter fuel and then gently peel it off, gently wipe the remainder away with a soft cloth also soaked in lighter fuel (don't rub too hard, or you may remove colour from the record label) Lighter fuel is used by professional graphic designers and artists for all kinds of similar cleaning operations. Also removes the grease stain left behind from stickers if you do it right.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I stuck a slightly warped Sue EP in my trouser press on the overnight setting....totally unplayable after :unsure:

I misread this at first, as "I stuck said EP in my TROUSERS!" :wicked:

Social source share

Rumour has it that its the only thing you've ever ironed in your life! :wicked: I'll get me coat...

Social source share

Guest rachel

Me too, surely I can't be the only person who has 'housework records'..? :wicked:

Can't see any reason for doing more ironing than is strictly necessary though :unsure:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert