Tunes That Reduce You To Tears

Guest vinylvixen

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Non soul "I can't make you love me" Bonnie Raitt.

Please tell me what qualifies Bonnie Raitt as 'non-soul'? Is it because she's a redhead, maybe?

It takes very little to make me start crying to a record these days. The Miracles' "More, More, More Of Your Love" set me off this morning, and there's nothing even remotely sad about that. A couple of days ago, I was singing along with "The Kids Are Alright" by the Who and I got too choked to finish the verse. There are many records, soul or non-soul, that I will never be able to listen to again because just thinking about them makes me well up. Don't get me started, please.

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

• Replies 159
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest vinylvixen

I agree Jo, if I hear you play that dells record once more I'll start crying too :wicked:

Up ya bum, Smiffy. I'm the fat bird at the controls :wicked::sleep3::D Jo

Social source share

Oh Lord, quite a few that do that to me, going back over the years...

Smokey & The Miracles "Who's Gonna Take The Blame".. memories of my first love (when I was 13... and she was only 12!).

Jackie Wilson "Just As Soon As The Feeling Is Over"... another personal thing... from when I was a few years older.

Walter Jackson "Not You"... Has there ever been a more meloncholy record? "I can't believe it's true"

James Carr "These Aint Raindrops"... just slays me.

And finally... the incredible Bobby McClure "To Get What You Got"... is my favourite all timer but I daren't play it too often... cos it always leaves me wrecked.

There are loads more.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Guest Simon

He got run over and killed I think - Ernie I mean - couple of years ago

Didn't a stale pork pie do for him?

I'll get me milkfloat!

Simon :wicked:

Social source share

Please tell me what qualifies Bonnie Raitt as 'non-soul'? Is it because she's a redhead, maybe?

It takes very little to make me start crying to a record these days. The Miracles' "More, More, More Of Your Love" set me off this morning, and there's nothing even remotely sad about that. A couple of days ago, I was singing along with "The Kids Are Alright" by the Who and I got too choked to finish the verse. There are many records, soul or non-soul, that I will never be able to listen to again because just thinking about them makes me well up. Don't get me started, please.

TONE

Thats my favourite record by The Who but I must have heard it 1000 times and I still don't understand the lyrics.

Social source share

Guest Simon

Thats my favourite record by The Who but I must have heard it 1000 times and I still don't understand the lyrics.

Mine's 'I can see for miles', makes me cry at how good it is sometimes!

Simon :thumbsup:

Social source share

well, there are some kids, and they're alright. but the bells are chiming and her folks won't let her. simple.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Mine's 'I can see for miles', makes me cry at how good it is sometimes!

Simon, can't see the Guilty Pleasures thread on FB yet...are you going to start it? After all, it was you who brought up Slik...g'wan g'wan g'wan..... :ohmy: Jo

Social source share

Guest Simon

Simon, can't see the Guilty Pleasures thread on FB yet...are you going to start it? After all, it was you who brought up Slik...g'wan g'wan g'wan..... :thumbsup: Jo

Think there was one started a few weeks ago Jo, i'll see if i can find it, if not i'll start a new one up.

Btw what happened to your lyric thread t'other day, did you ever manage to guess my lyrics?

Simon :ohmy:

Social source share

well, there are some kids, and they're alright. but the bells are chiming and her folks won't let her. simple.

It's down to me getting one line wrong

I don't mind other guys dancing with my girl

That's fine, I know them all pretty well

But I know sometimes I must get out in the light

Better leave her behind with the kids, they're alright

The kids are alright

I thought it said

Better leave THEM behind with the kids are alright

which doesn't really mean anything

Social source share

Guest Simon

I started one of those a few weeks back and got about 2 responses!

That's right, i had Kissing the pink - The last film i ever saw, not so much guilty as just great imo.

Social source share

One record that nearly make me cry through sheer awfulness, is that record about 9 million bicycles in beijing or something like that, whoever wrote that should be killed. That oletta adams record isn't far behind "you can get hear by railway...you can get here by trailway.." "caravan...arab man" of for goodness sake

Social source share

Turn over I surrender and you will find something that made Fudge stop talking for 3 mins...Its never been known before...

Eddie Holman....I still love you...Thats my birthday track to Jo Wallace x

A great deeeeeeeeeeeep soul track indeed...

Non soul track.. Melanie.....Ruby Tuesday........Perfect tune for birthday girl...One of the greatest songs i have ever heard..

Social source share

JAMES CARR DARK END OF THE STREET ....IN fact any of his slow emotional stuff...the man lived and died a tortuous life....poor mental health...addiction and finally suicide...chewed up by the music world.....left him with nothing....

i echo dans sentiments above

What a record..I was playing that just yesterday....

Also..Four Tops.... Ask the lonely.....my god,it stops me dead when i hear that..

Roy Hamilton.....And i love her......great version indeed....

nice topic...Deep soul is my passion....

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Eddie Holman....I still love you...Thats my birthday track to Jo Wallace x

First thing I'll do tomorrow morning is cue up Eddie, cut a large slice of cake, put cake in gob, push 'play', put my feet up and enjoy...you're a darlin', Steve :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I started one of those a few weeks back and got about 2 responses!

Go and bump it up and me and Simon will put our awful/ lovely choices on there - and that 'you can get here by caravan' can go in Room 101 :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Think there was one started a few weeks ago Jo, i'll see if i can find it, if not i'll start a new one up.

Btw what happened to your lyric thread t'other day, did you ever manage to guess my lyrics?

Wracked my brains, gave myself a headache and came up with a big fat ZERO :ohmy: What were they?? Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

..Four Tops.... Ask the lonely.....my god,it stops me dead when i hear that..

The Fantastic Four do an amazing track with a very similar title. 'Just the Lonely' is the B side of 'Can't stop looking'...it doesn't make me cry tho'.

The Arthur Alexander track 'I need you baby' on Monument does it for me. I can't play it any more as it was played at Randy's funeral and it makes me too sad. Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest Simon

Wracked my brains, gave myself a headache and came up with a big fat ZERO :thumbsup: What were they?? Jo

Carolines - Can't stop loving the boy @ Roulette

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Footsie, when mischief played it at lightwater the other week i was crying tears of laughter all night long.

on a serious note

Luther Vandross - so amazing, very personal record to me :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Honey - Bobby Goldsboro.

Overblown sentimental cack, but can't help but get a lump in my throat when I hear it.

Always reminds me of labradors...

Pete, quick...get the Guilty Pleasures thread up and running :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Carolines - Can't stop loving the boy @ Roulette

It's your turn....again. Make it easier this time :thumbsup: You'll have to find the thread as well as it's buried. Jo

Social source share

Guest Simon

It's your turn....again. Make it easier this time :thumbsup: You'll have to find the thread as well as it's buried. Jo

I thought a lady of your immense knowledge would have got that Jo. :D

Ok i'll make it a bit easier "I'm getting my kicks out on the floor", any idea?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

JAMES CARR DARK END OF THE STREET ....IN fact any of his slow emotional stuff...the man lived and died a tortuous life....poor mental health...addiction and finally suicide...chewed up by the music world.....left him with nothing....

Sorry for temporarily hijacking this thread, but I need to correct a few misapprehensions that you are labouring under...

James did not commit suicide, he died from lung cancer (although, as he was a smoker, I suppose you could argue that 'suicide' is a by product of cancer, if self inflicted).

James was also not addicted to anything at the time of his death. He was taking prescription medicine to stabilise his mental condition, but he was no more an addict by the 1990s than I am, with my two pills a day for my blood pressure. There's no doubting that it was his substance dependence in the late 60s and early 70s that did for his career back then, but he was only taking what he had to take in the later years of his life and during his second career.

Finally, James received royalties on the two albums that he made for and with his mentor and friend Quinton Claunch. following his early 90s comeback. Unfortunately Ace bought Goldwax too late for James to become the direct beneficiary. his family gets paid on every copy of every CD or vinyl that has come out on Kent, and will continue to do so as we have no intention of deleting any of it...

So, not totally chewed up by the music world, didn't die completely potless, wasn't on anything other than prescription drugs and didn't take his own life. But you got one thing right. He did make many, many incredible records...

Social source share

TONE

Tone, only in the very broadest sense would I consider Bonnie Raitt non-soul. Mindful of the soul police when I quoted that, and besides I've a thing for redheads! She absolutely brings me to my knees when I hear this.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tone, only in the very broadest sense would I consider Bonnie Raitt non-soul. Mindful of the soul police when I quoted that, and besides I've a thing for redheads! She absolutely brings me to my knees when I hear this.

You should try to check out the original version by Mike Reid on Columbia - not THAT Mike Reid, obviously. If I had the technology I'd post it up in an instant.

Prince's version is also very good. It's seemingly a hard song to fcuk up...

TONE

PS: Gotta love those readheads. Or, at least, strawberry blondes (see avatar of Julie London...)

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I thought a lady of your immense knowledge would have got that Jo. :D

Ok i'll make it a bit easier "I'm getting my kicks out on the floor", any idea?

Simon, I don't know the lyrics to ANYTHING...I am so rubbish at lyrics - it's a standing joke that I only know the first 2 seconds and last 2 seconds of a record. Ask PTP... :thumbsup:

Another tear jerker is Singing Sammy Ward's 'Then you changed' - on Soul Satisfaction 4 or 5 - blimey, what a tune. Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

You should try to check out the original version by Mike Reid on Columbia - not THAT Mike Reid, obviously. If I had the technology I'd post it up in an instant.

TONE

PS: Gotta love those readheads. Or, at least, strawberry blondes (see avatar of Julie London...)

Tony, I was going to compliment you on your choice of Julie...what a babe and 'Cry me a river' - boo hoo. Could you nip over to Freebasing and see if you can sort out the B&Q tune...it's a reggae one - sounds a bit like Train to Skaville...ta :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Sorry for temporarily hijacking this thread, but I need to correct a few misapprehensions that you are labouring under...

James did not commit suicide, he died from lung cancer (although, as he was a smoker, I suppose you could argue that 'suicide' is a by product of cancer, if self inflicted).

James was also not addicted to anything at the time of his death. He was taking prescription medicine to stabilise his mental condition, but he was no more an addict by the 1990s than I am, with my two pills a day for my blood pressure. There's no doubting that it was his substance dependence in the late 60s and early 70s that did for his career back then, but he was only taking what he had to take in the later years of his life and during his second career.

Finally, James received royalties on the two albums that he made for and with his mentor and friend Quinton Claunch. following his early 90s comeback. Unfortunately Ace bought Goldwax too late for James to become the direct beneficiary. his family gets paid on every copy of every CD or vinyl that has come out on Kent, and will continue to do so as we have no intention of deleting any of it...

So, not totally chewed up by the music world, didn't die completely potless, wasn't on anything other than prescription drugs and didn't take his own life. But you got one thing right. He did make many, many incredible records...

I don't think I have heard a single note the great man sang that hasn't moved me. I can well up listening to any of his ballards.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony, I was going to compliment you on your choice of Julie...what a babe and 'Cry me a river' - boo hoo. Could you nip over to Freebasing and see if you can sort out the B&Q tune...it's a reggae one - sounds a bit like Train to Skaville...ta :thumbsup:

It's Slim Smith and the Uniques version of "If I Could Build My Whole World Around You" - it's on a 2CD Slim Smith anthology that I can thoroughly recommend (well, I did compile and annotate it!) that Trojan put out a couple of years back, "Keep That Love Light Shining"...

Social source share

TONE

I heard the Mike Reid version on a Bob Harris show some time ago. He's the guy that used to be an American Football player with the Cincinnati Bengals, quite a talented guy.

Julie London - oh yes!

Social source share

Mia Lewis - This The End

Freda Payne - How Do You Tell Someone You Don't Love Them Anymore

Lump in throat rather than a blubbering wreck though.

Remember Ralph Graham - She Just Sits There getting played at the Dome once and that did get me going.

Edited by AndyF
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

It's Slim Smith and the Uniques version of "If I Could Build My Whole World Around You" - it's on a 2CD Slim Smith anthology that I can thoroughly recommend (well, I did compile and annotate it!) that Trojan put out a couple of years back, "Keep That Love Light Shining"...

'My Conversation' by Slim still makes me go weak at the knees :thumbsup: but it doesn't make me cry :ohmy: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Mia Lewis - This The End

Freda Payne - How Do You Tell Someone You Don't Love Them Anymore

Lump in throat rather than a blubbering wreck though.

Remember Ralph Graham - She Just Sits There getting played at the Dome once and that did get me going.

Come on Andy....stiff upper lip, no wobbly bottom lip - you can do it :thumbsup:

Social source share

I must be a big cry baby because there are loads of records that make me cry, or at least bring tears to my eyes, hoping my friends don't notice.

Used to be These Memories (Almeta Latimore), No One There (Martha Reeves) and Little Girl (Corey Glover). But at Soulgate last year Garnett Mimms' It Was Easier To Hurt Her had my eyes filled up. Guess it made me feel guilty.

But the one that gets me right now is Gene Chandler's Without You Here, seems to say it all to me. Taffy played it for me at Letchworth last Friday, I danced but felt myself getting upset. Silly old fool.

By the way Jo, happy birthday to you.

Social source share

Well, I'm Jo Wallace and it's my birthday tomorrow so I'll have a non soul tune so ner :thumbsup: Loving the Jimmy Wallace tho' :thumbsup: I wonder if there's been a Heartaches and Misery compilation?? I don't have the technology but someone who's tecchy enough could get all the tracks mentioned in this thread and do something in Media....and make EVERYONE cry LOLOL :ohmy::D

Well Jo Wallace,many happy returns tum orror he he :thumbsup:

Social source share

"Any Day Now " by Chuck Jackson is a track that makes be cry.

The Snake" too for different reasons :ohmy: Mainly because I can't bear to listen to it.

Pat :thumbsup:

The following record still sends a chill down my spine ......

Esther Phillips " Alone Again , Naturally "

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Well Jo Wallace,many happy returns tum orror he he :ohmy:

Cheers dears :thumbsup: I would save you some cake but I'm a bloater and there won't be any left :D Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I must be a big cry baby because there are loads of records that make me cry, or at least bring tears to my eyes, hoping my friends don't notice.

Used to be These Memories (Almeta Latimore), No One There (Martha Reeves) and Little Girl (Corey Glover). But at Soulgate last year Garnett Mimms' It Was Easier To Hurt Her had my eyes filled up. Guess it made me feel guilty.

But the one that gets me right now is Gene Chandler's Without You Here, seems to say it all to me. Taffy played it for me at Letchworth last Friday, I danced but felt myself getting upset. Silly old fool.

By the way Jo, happy birthday to you.

Thanks Geoff :thumbsup: You're not a silly old fool - just someone with great taste in moving soul :ohmy: Jo

Social source share

Several spring to mind that either reduce me to tears or bring me very close - dosen't help that I'm quite an emotional female at heart :ohmy:

What's going on - Marvin Gaye

I'll be around - Doug Parkinson

Small things - Kell Osbourne

For the rest of my life - Out of sights

one other, but my minds gone blank - will remember in min....must be me age :thumbsup:

Karen

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Several spring to mind that either reduce me to tears or bring me very close - dosen't help that I'm quite an emotional female at heart :ohmy:

What's going on - Marvin Gaye

I'll be around - Doug Parkinson

Small things - Kell Osbourne

For the rest of my life - Out of sights

one other, but my minds gone blank - will remember in min....must be me age :thumbsup:

Karen

Karen, it's weird but there aren't many women posting on this thread :D All these blokes are a bunch of softies at heart :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert