Tunes That Reduce You To Tears

Guest vinylvixen

• Replies 159
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I just listened to it again. It's the guy singing falsetto, he is out of tune. It's still terrible. No offence Baz.

NONE TAKEN PETE ,THATS THE MIGHTY BAXENDALE ON FLASETTO [i THINK]CANT GET THE DELLS OUT MY SYSTEM SINCE SEEING THEM 5 YEARS AGO WITHOUT DOUBT THE CROWNING MOMMENT OF MY GIGGING CAREER.

BAZ A

Social source share

The Verve " the drugs dont work" my father had cancer & was having chemo & morphine [ drugs] we knew it was hopeless & he died. I cant listen to it at all but at the time of his death it was everywhere.

Its a top sound but it brings me to much pain.

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Soul tunes it's :

Linda Lloyd - Breakaway

Jimmy Radcliffe - Long After Tonight Is All Over

close runners are Dusty Springfield - Your Hurting Kinda Love and Walker Brothers or Jerry Butler - Make it Easy On Yourself

Boo HOO!!

Social source share

The Verve " the drugs dont work" my father had cancer & was having chemo & morphine [ drugs] we knew it was hopeless & he died. I cant listen to it at all but at the time of his death it was everywhere.

Its a top sound but it brings me to much pain.

2 soul tracks are

Walter Jackson--It's All Over--just kills me :ohmy:

Harry Deal--I Still Love You--such a sad song :D

and non soul is Ruperts People--Reflections Of Charles Brown--gets me blubbing every time

silly old bugger :thumbsup:

Lenny

Social source share

2 soul tracks are

Walter Jackson--It's All Over--just kills me :thumbsup:

Harry Deal--I Still Love You--such a sad song :thumbsup:

and non soul is Ruperts People--Reflections Of Charles Brown--gets me blubbing every time

silly old bugger :ohmy:

Lenny

Thanks big fella :thumbsup::D

Social source share

Karen, it's weird but there aren't many women posting on this thread :thumbsup: All these blokes are a bunch of softies at heart :thumbsup: Jo

I noticed that too Jo - just goes to prove that the blokes are the biggest softies after all :ohmy:

Mind recovered from it's earlier blankness at last - here's my last one - (at least for now)

Ray Pollard - The Drifter

Karen :D

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I've reopened it Jo, it's in freebasing

Cheers darlin' :rolleyes: I'll nip over there now...anyone care to join me in revealing the non soul tunes that make others toes curl but you just love them :D Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Jimmy Radcliffe - Long After Tonight Is All Over

Boo HOO!!

Boo hoo indeed....I was playing a CD with Jimmy on the other day and I burst into tears....it just brought back all the memories of traipsing up to Wigan on my own, meeting friends, getting off my head, the first time I heard the Sapphires 'Gotta have your love', everything...all the snippets of my misspent youth rolled into one and the tears rolled down my face....it all seemed a long time ago all of a sudden :rolleyes: Jo

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

fleetwood mac-I need your love so bad

chicken shack-i'd rather go blind

smokey & miracles-come round here i'm the one you need

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Barry, that's weird...I was going to put a couple of EWF tracks - 'Departure' being one of them as well as 'That's the Way of the World'....Jo

....and "Reasons"

Social source share

Guest mel brat

There are plenty "rare" tracks I've had the misfortune to hear that make me weep!

However, on a more emotional level I'd nominate these few;

Dionne Warwick - "Walk On By" (PYE INTERNATIONAL) - this is the one that first made me aware

that certain records can move you emotionally in ways that I still don't completely understand. Even

now, I only have to hear that intro for the hairs to stand up on the back of my neck! Chilling!

Holland Dozier "Why Can't We Be Lovers" (INVICTUS)

Madeline Quebec "The Love I've Been Looking For" (VENTURE) - Oooh! it hurts so good!

Al Green "Tired Of Being Alone" (HI/LONDON)

Esther Phillips "Home Is Where The Hatred Is" (KUDU)

Four Tops - "Ask The Lonely" (TAMLA MOTOWN)

Margie Alexander "What'Cha Tryin' To Do To Me" (CHI-SOUND)

Jackie Wilson "The Sweetest Feeling" (BRUNSWICK) - on the basic of the heartrending vocal

Oh, and ANYTHING by Linda Jones!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

CRIED MY EYES OUT TO THESE FIVE SOUL TRACKS FOR MONTHS OVER TWO DIFFERENT WOMEN, ONE OF WHOM LOOKING BACK ON IT WASN'T EVEN WORTH THE PAPER SLEEVES THEY WERE REMOVED FROM :

LIQUID SMOKE - WHERE IS OUR LOVE 1975

7 MILES HIGH - SHE'S GONE AWAY 1981

NEXT MOVEMENT - MORE LOVE 1984

DUKE BOOTEE - SLOW DOWN + I'M THE ONE FOR YOU 1984

DUKE BOOTEE AKA ED FLETCHER - WROTE A LARGE PER CENTAGE OF THE SUGARHILL LABEL MATERIAL, INCLUDING GMF THE MESSAGE BUT THIS MANS GOT A SOFT SIDE BELIEVE ME :

"HATE TO THINK OF YOU AT A TABLE FOR ONE, WHO CARES WHAT'S ON THE MENU IT CAN'T BE MUCH FUN."

"ITS EASY TO GET IN BUT IT AIN'T SO EASY WHEN YOU WANNA GET OUT, I THINK I FINALLY FOUND OUT WHAT LOVES ALL ABOUT."

NON -SOUL :

COMSAT ANGELS - SLEEP NO MORE, FICTION TALES, LAND - ANY NUMBER OF TRACKS FROM ALL 3 LP'S, LYRICALLY FOR ME NO OTHER ACT WILL EVER MATCH THEIR STANDARD.

JOY DIVSION - NEW DAWN FADES - THIS IS AS DARK AND ATMOSPHERIC AS IT GETS.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

What The World Needs Now/Abraham, Martin & John - Tom Clay

That will certainly put a dampener on anybody's party thmbdn.gif

Yes, I was somewhat moved the first time I heard it (I'd bought it "blind" when it came out), but now I find it all rather mawkish and contrived. Still, he knew how to press those emotional buttons!

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

That will certainly put a dampener on anybody's party thmbdn.gif

NOT COMPARED TO THE JOY DIVISION'S "NEW DAWN FADES" MY FRIEND !

Social source share

Guest MattB

Only ones i can think of are Paul weller - You do something to me and Jose Gonzales - Hand On Your Heart. Both attached to some very serious moments in my life.

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

Smokey & The Miracles - What's so good about goodbye/The love I saw was just a mirage; These arms of mine - Otis Redding; A change is gonna come - Otis Redding/Sam Cooke; Esther Phillips - Just say goodbye; but the one guaranteed to get a lump in the throat - I watched you slowly slip away - Howard Guyton. :thumbsup:sad.gif

Ali

Social source share

Blimey, lots of lovely tunes on here. I definitely must come back to this after some thinking time, but definitely have to agree with

Jimmy Radcliffe - My Ship Is Coming In - it definitely gets the heart strings panging

Ray Pollard - The Drifter

The Winstons - Color Him Father - I suppose being white and having a black dad accounts for that one - very 'close to home'.

Billy Miranda - Teardrops - I somehow 'psyched myself up' for my driving test with this one - haven't heard it in years and don't even have it on tape/ CD!

And hope you had a really lovely birthday, Jo.

Dawn Brown

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

a song that i can listen to which can make me cry is The Hollies - He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother but no idea why cause i don't have a brother. and i saw Deacon Blue live and when they did Dignity it almost made me cry

Social source share

What a fab thread - Nice One Jo!!!

Could have spent all night on this one but have come up with a shortlist.....

Counting down from number 5....(In my best Neil "Fluff Freeman" Jones voice)

5/ Walter Jackson - The Last One To Be Loved. Soul that was aimed at the heart and hits the bullseye every time. The thing that 'does me' with this tune is that it's from a guy who is happy to have found the girl of his dreams! You'd never guess it at first!!!! Absolute class.

Walter_Jackson_The_Last_One_To_Be_Loved.MP3

4/ Sandra Wright - I Come Running Back. The fact that such a talent had her career brought to a stall by friendless idiots within her record label is almost as heart-wrenching as the song itself. Stunning.

Sandra_Wright_I_Come_Running_Back.MP3

3/ J.D.Bryant - I Won't Be Coming Back. I would dance to this, barefoot, on broken glass with a nail in my heel. Encapsulates the true essence of Soul in it's lyrics, the atmosphere of the recording and the incredible, spine tingling backing track that adds to it's power. I have no problem in admitting that I have cried like a babe from the first to the last bar when dancing to this on several occasions.

J_D_Bryant_I_Wont_Be_Coming_Back.MP3

2/ Wilson Williams - Faith Will Bring It Home. Maybe not the best known of tracks but WOW! My first exposure to this took me back to a very special place, at a time when I must have been only 5 or 6 years old. A strange experience because the track was recorded around 10 years later than the memory it evokes but, for me, this is 3 and a bit minutes of sheer indulgence which builds me up and tears me up at the same time.

Wilson_Williams_Faith_Will_Bring_It_Home.MP3

1/ Tobi Legend - Time Will Pass You By. The Daddy (Mummy?) of them all. This record just moves my whole world on every level. Puts life, the whole thing right in perspective.

Lyrically it is as close to perfect as you can get if you want to get a message across about the insignificance of life's problems. The backing track takes you on a roller coaster between sheer introspection and total joy.

It's a tune that is 'JUST SO' and it is a damn shame that it doesn't get the attention it deserves as a true Northern Soul anthem - by which I mean played more often in the main part of a night. It's association with the end of the night is both it's strength and it's weakness. For many, this record signified the end of an era. I have to admit that it evokes some very powerful memories of a night when every single record was met with beat-perfect hand claps and everyone seemed to be dancing better than they ever had before.

However, for me it spelt the start of an era that I still love and enjoy because it was at the last night at a certain venue that, for the first time, I think I truly got to understand the extent to which our music can influence your emotions. As Geno Washington once said "Soul isn't about how I perform a song. It's about how my performance affects YOUR Soul".

That just about sums up how I feel about this record.

Tobi_Legend_Time_Will_Pass_You_By.MP3

Just off for a cry!!!

Neil :thumbsup:

Social source share

What a fab thread - Nice One Jo!!!

Could have spent all night on this one but have come up with a shortlist.....

Counting down from number 5....(In my best Neil "Fluff Freeman" Jones voice)

5/ Walter Jackson - The Last One To Be Loved. Soul that was aimed at the heart and hits the bullseye every time. The thing that 'does me' with this tune is that it's from a guy who is happy to have found the girl of his dreams! You'd never guess it at first!!!! Absolute class.

Walter_Jackson_The_Last_One_To_Be_Loved.MP3

4/ Sandra Wright - I Come Running Back. The fact that such a talent had her career brought to a stall by friendless idiots within her record label is almost as heart-wrenching as the song itself. Stunning.

Sandra_Wright_I_Come_Running_Back.MP3

3/ J.D.Bryant - I Won't Be Coming Back. I would dance to this, barefoot, on broken glass with a nail in my heel. Encapsulates the true essence of Soul in it's lyrics, the atmosphere of the recording and the incredible, spine tingling backing track that adds to it's power. I have no problem in admitting that I have cried like a babe from the first to the last bar when dancing to this on several occasions.

J_D_Bryant_I_Wont_Be_Coming_Back.MP3

2/ Wilson Williams - Faith Will Bring It Home. Maybe not the best known of tracks but WOW! My first exposure to this took me back to a very special place, at a time when I must have been only 5 or 6 years old. A strange experience because the track was recorded around 10 years later than the memory it evokes but, for me, this is 3 and a bit minutes of sheer indulgence which builds me up and tears me up at the same time.

Wilson_Williams_Faith_Will_Bring_It_Home.MP3

1/ Tobi Legend - Time Will Pass You By. The Daddy (Mummy?) of them all. This record just moves my whole world on every level. Puts life, the whole thing right in perspective.

Lyrically it is as close to perfect as you can get if you want to get a message across about the insignificance of life's problems. The backing track takes you on a roller coaster between sheer introspection and total joy.

It's a tune that is 'JUST SO' and it is a damn shame that it doesn't get the attention it deserves as a true Northern Soul anthem - by which I mean played more often in the main part of a night. It's association with the end of the night is both it's strength and it's weakness. For many, this record signified the end of an era. I have to admit that it evokes some very powerful memories of a night when every single record was met with beat-perfect hand claps and everyone seemed to be dancing better than they ever had before.

However, for me it spelt the start of an era that I still love and enjoy because it was at the last night at a certain venue that, for the first time, I think I truly got to understand the extent to which our music can influence your emotions. As Geno Washington once said "Soul isn't about how I perform a song. It's about how my performance affects YOUR Soul".

That just about sums up how I feel about this record.

Tobi_Legend_Time_Will_Pass_You_By.MP3

Just off for a cry!!!

Neil :thumbsup:

You'lll be dehydrated after those Neil, esp Sandra Wright thumbsup.gif

Edited by SteveM
Social source share

For me it's -

I Don't Know What You Got (But It's Got Me) - Little Richard

If I Ever Dreamed I Hurt You- Bobby Sheen

Stay With Me Baby - Lorriane Ellison

I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself - Cissy Houston

Social source share

Guest Bogue

If I Ever Dreamed I Hurt You - bobby sheen - warner brothers

I'll tell you one thing that's upsetting me, that bloody new avatar of yours Simon !! :thumbsup:

Sends me dizzy looking at it !

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Non soul "I can't make you love me" Bonnie Raitt.

Jaco, that's so weird. I've never actually heard this record, but it was one of the favourites of somebody very important to me and as soon as I read your post, I cried. I am jet-lagged, so I shall blame that :thumbsup:

I've never been able to steel myself to actually seek out the record & listen to it- I think it would kill me.

Please tell me what qualifies Bonnie Raitt as 'non-soul'? Is it because she's a redhead, maybe?

Tone, I see what Jaco means. I'd say soulful as opposed to soul, even though I haven't even heard the record blush.gif . But please don't argue with me, I am feeling fragile and so would probably resort to playing the redhead card if you did :P

Edited by mrs norman maine
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

the ones that make me cry are the ones that relate to a sad time.

soul lainie hill aint i worth a dime

non soul carole king its too late

Lainie Hill and Carole King are the same colour as far as I'm aware. Why is one 'soul' and one 'non soul'?

Social source share

Guest Simon

I'll tell you one thing that's upsetting me, that bloody new avatar of yours Simon !! laugh.gif

Sends me dizzy looking at it !

Same here, please change it Simon it's really making me feel sick!!

Simon :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Can anyone post Mel Britts Fip b side Love Invented Misery please...not listened to this in ages but i do remember it bought a tear to the eye..Please anyone. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Tunes which I can genuinely remember getting the tear ducts working overtime........

Sunshine - Coming Home To An Empty House. Wrong tune at the wrong time.

Freddie Scott - Mr Heartache - Freddie shared a chasm of emptyness with me just when I needed him.

Carla Thomas - I'll never stop loving you - Ady playing this towards the end of a 100 club anniversary set me off for some reason. It all just seemed to come together at that point, in that place....

Cut me and I bleed...... (or summat)

Pass the tissues

Steve

Social source share

For me these are the ones to do it..

Jimmy Ruffin - What becomes of the Brokenhearted - aged 13(bloody puberty)

Al Green - How Can You Mend a Broken Heart - off to see him on 2nd July, hankies ready...

Ruby Andrews - Just Loving You - for the man in my life....

Gladys Knight - What Good Am I - memories of being proposed to, saw her at Royal Albert Hall and cried and cried, totally overwhelmed.....

Roberta Flack - First Time Ever I saw Your Face - for each of my children and more recently my grandson Charley..xxx

Off for a good blubber...

Philly

Social source share

Guest Roddy

At the different times in my life I have cried to these

Sam Dees "After All" (whitch I left on the turntable of my marital home for the last time in 1997)

Big Maybelle "Lord What Are You Doing To Me" (The first time I heard it, a sublime record in so many ways)

James Carr "Dark End of The Street" ( Sandi if you are reading this you know why)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert