Tunes That Reduce You To Tears

Guest vinylvixen

Guest vinylvixen

Hopefully, this topic hasn't been dealt with....otherwise sue me :sleep3:

There are certain tunes that make me cry...for all sorts of reasons - sentimental, memories, sheer quality and sincerity of delivery. I'll start the ball rolling -

1. Carl Hall - What's Come Over You - B side of 'My Baby's So Good' (but only the demo - issue has wrong track). When Randy Cozens played this to me I didn't appreciate how genius it was - but years on, the lyrics describe similar personal experiences....and that makes it so much more powerful :wicked:
  2. Dells - Make Sure - the ultimate ender...when it's time to say 'goodbye' this is what will be playing at my last earthly gig.
  3. Tony Middleton - Paris Blues....does it every time - don't ask me why as I haven't got a clue :wicked:
What tracks get your tear ducts working....Jo Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

• Replies 159
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest vinylvixen

The Long And Winding Road by The Beatles. Reminds of my daughter. I literally cannot listen to this without breaking down and wanting to die. So I avoid it at all costs.

That seems like a sensible course of action....i can't begin to imagine etc.

Any soul tunes, Pete? I'll go and amend the title of the post... :wicked:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

The first time I heard 'Departure' by EWF, I proper filled up - a very odd but beautiful little instumental.

Barry, that's weird...I was going to put a couple of EWF tracks - 'Departure' being one of them as well as 'That's the Way of the World'....Jo

Social source share

Guest Simon

Miracles - You only build me up to tear me down

Ella Fitzgerald - Summertime

Four Tops - Bernadette

Dee Dee Warwick - Gotta get a hold of myself

Dusty Springfield - All cried out

Simon :wicked:

Social source share

That seems like a sensible course of action....i can't begin to imagine etc.

Any soul tunes, Pete? I'll go and amend the title of the post... :wicked:

Sorry Jo, didn't read it properly I'll edit my post, should have thought about it before I posted but it doesn't half make me cry! You may need to edit your reply to me though as it appears as a quote

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Great tear ducts think alike ay VV?

:wicked::wicked: And don't get me near Stevie Wonder's 'Never thought you'd leave in Summer'....LOL Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Sorry Jo, didn't read it properly I'll edit my post, should have thought about it before I posted but it doesn't half make me cry! You may need to edit your reply to me though as it appears as a quote

Second thoughts...we could have whatever we liked...non soul or soul...I'll shift the goal posts so I can have Jean Sablon 'J'attendrais' - a beautiful love song in French from the 30's.

https://www.allofmp3.com/share.shtml?token=289902149〈=eng&group=67900&album=1&song=4

...Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest Simon

:wicked::wicked: And don't get me near Stevie Wonder's 'Never thought you'd leave in Summer'....LOL Jo

That reminds me Stevie Wonder - Are you sure love is the name of the game & while i'm here, one more Tammi Terrel - All i do is think about you oh & one for luck Marvin Gaye - Sunny.

Simon

Social source share

Carl Hall - What's Come Over You - B side of 'My Baby's So Good' (but only the demo - issue has wrong track).

Hi Jo,

I've got the red mercury issue of this and b-side is defo 'What's come over you', and it plays 'What's come over you' as well.. i remember an earlier thread where it was mentioned only the demos had the correct tune on the b-side...

anyway, absolutely brilliant record and a fantastic vocal performance by Mr Hall :wicked:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

That reminds me Stevie Wonder - Are you sure love is the name of the game & while i'm here, one more Tammi Terrel - All i do is think about you oh & one for luck Marvin Gaye - Sunny.

Simon

Fabulous choices Simon :wicked: Nothing wrong with having a good blub... :wicked: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Carl Hall - What's Come Over You - B side of 'My Baby's So Good' (but only the demo - issue has wrong track).

Hi Jo,

I've got the red mercury issue of this and b-side is defo 'What's come over you', and it plays 'What's come over you' as well.. i remember an earlier thread where it was mentioned only the demos had the correct tune on the b-side...

anyway, absolutely brilliant record and a fantastic vocal performance by Mr Hall :wicked:

Wow...I'll be sending my red issue back to Mercury with a letter of complaint :wicked::sleep3: Goodness only knows what the track is - it did reduce me to tears as it wasn't 'What's Come over You'.... :D:D But you're so right, brilliant record. Jo

Social source share

Second thoughts...we could have whatever we liked...non soul or soul...I'll shift the goal posts so I can have Jean Sablon 'Je T'endrais' - a beautiful love song in French from the 40's...Jo

Just wondered,as this is a soul site then perhaps it should be soul tune,just my thought that's all.

Mine is Jimmy Wallace.....I'll be back :wicked:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

"My Ship is Coming In" - Jimmy Radcliff

"He Stole All the Love That Was Mine" - Steve Mancha

:wicked::sleep3::D

These tunes are raising the stakes...can anyone else improve on Richard's misery choices?? :wicked: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Just wondered,as this is a soul site then perhaps it should be soul tune,just my thought that's all.

Mine is Jimmy Wallace.....I'll be back :wicked:

Well, I'm Jo Wallace and it's my birthday tomorrow so I'll have a non soul tune so ner :D Loving the Jimmy Wallace tho' :D I wonder if there's been a Heartaches and Misery compilation?? I don't have the technology but someone who's tecchy enough could get all the tracks mentioned in this thread and do something in Media....and make EVERYONE cry LOLOL :wicked::sleep3:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Walter Jackson's - it's an uphill climb..

misery and then some :wicked:

Laying it on with the Misery Trowel....keep 'em coming :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Simon

Well, I'm Jo Wallace and it's my birthday tomorrow so I'll have a non soul tune so ner :wicked:

Can i have a non-Soul one please as it was my birthday in February.

Slik - Forever & ever (probably one for the guilty pleasure thread, also).

Simon :wicked:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Can i have a non-Soul one please as it was my birthday in February.

Slik - Forever & ever (probably one for the guilty pleasure thread, also).

Simon :D

That's not a bad idea, Simon. If there isn't one already, you could start a guilty pleasures thread in Freebasing so we could have non soul stuff over on that thread....then I could have Barry Blue - Dancing on a Saturdy Night :wicked::wicked: You start it, I'll hum it :sleep3: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Oh blimey!

Where do you start?

Patches - Clarence Carter

Under the Street Lamp - The Exits

The Drifter - Ray Pollard

Trouble of the World - Mahalia Jackson

Such a Small Love - Scott Walker

You've got me at it now....Big Maybelle 'Oh Lord'...isn't there a weeping emicom?

Social source share

THE AWESOME MIGHTY DELLS -STAY IN MY CORNER. :wicked:

I've been playing a cd in the car, an mp3 one with about 300 tracks on and it's r & b hits from every year up until about 1973. Anyway this record - The Dells Stay In My Corner - has come on about 4 times over the last few weeks and each time I've had to turn it off because it sounds completely out of tune...and apart from that, it's terrible. So I'm obviously missing something, unless I'm listening to a re-recording.

Social source share

I've been playing a cd in the car, an mp3 one with about 300 tracks on and it's r & b hits from every year up until about 1973. Anyway this record - The Dells Stay In My Corner - has come on about 4 times over the last few weeks and each time I've had to turn it off because it sounds completely out of tune...and apart from that, it's terrible. So I'm obviously missing something, unless I'm listening to a re-recording.

YES YOUR MISSING SOMETHING IT IS SIMPLY IMPECCABLE AS IS THE LOVE WE HAD STAYS ON MY MIND ANOTHER ABSOLUTE KILLER ,DONT KNOW IF IT WAS RE RECORDED MAYBE SO .

BAZ A.

Social source share

Guest rachel

DEEP SOUL IS MY FAV /SO WOULD HAVE TO BE SOMETHING LIKE JERRY BUTLER-GO AWAY FIND YOURSELF, CLESTE HARDIE -TOUCHED THE INNER PART OF ME ON LOADSTONE OR PAULETTE REEVES-GOOD THINGS ABOUT TO COME TO AN END-BLUE CANDLE OR PERHAPS THE AWESOME MIGHTY DELLS -STAY IN MY CORNER. :wicked:

BAZ A.

Quite a few on the deep soul side but one of the worst/ best(?) for me would have to be Bobby Thurston - This Can't Be Happening To Me....

Social source share

YES YOUR MISSING SOMETHING IT IS SIMPLY IMPECCABLE AS IS THE LOVE WE HAD STAYS ON MY MIND ANOTHER ABSOLUTE KILLER ,DONT KNOW IF IT WAS RE RECORDED MAYBE SO .

BAZ A.

I just listened to it again. It's the guy singing falsetto, he is out of tune. It's still terrible. No offence Baz.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Betty Lavette 'Let me down easy'...and when she sang it live, I had to use a Man Size Tissue....wonderful stuff...Jo

Social source share

But do any of these records actually make you cry? That was the question. We can all quote great heartbreaking records but to actually, physically cry when you hear them is another thing. Only It's An Uphill Climb To The Bottom could do that to/has done that to me (and the one I mentioned before)

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

But do any of these records actually make you cry? That was the question. We can all quote great heartbreaking records but to actually, physically cry when you hear them is another thing. Only It's An Uphill Climb To The Bottom could do that to/has done that to me (and the one I mentioned before)

All my selections do, Pete...and when I'm in public it can get a bit embarrasing :wicked: Jo

Social source share

as pete says, actually crying is surely a rare occurrence?

but if i'm a bit battered and feeling maudlin anyway, most obscure records do it to me, where the artists are unknown, if i start thinking about them; i wonder what they were doing 30-40 years ago when they laid the track down, what their hopes and dreams would have been, how they all came to ratshit, where they are now - if they're still alive - and how i wish we could show them they are still appreciated.

for this sort of reason, most of eddie and ernie's stuff gets to me - with 'lost friends' probably being the daddy, given the lyrics.

eddie died in the 1990s without, i'm sure, ever knowing and ernie died as a homeless alcoholic - knowing but probably not really understanding completely that his music was living on. (big up to john dixon and kent obviously for this)

Social source share

as pete says, actually crying is surely a rare occurrence?

but if i'm a bit battered and feeling maudlin anyway, most obscure records do it to me, where the artists are unknown, if i start thinking about them; i wonder what they were doing 30-40 years ago when they laid the track down, what their hopes and dreams would have been, how they all came to ratshit, where they are now - if they're still alive - and how i wish we could show them they are still appreciated.

for this sort of reason, most of eddie and ernie's stuff gets to me - with 'lost friends' probably being the daddy, given the lyrics.

eddie died in the 1990s without, i'm sure, ever knowing and ernie died as a homeless alcoholic - knowing but probably not really understanding completely that his music was living on. (big up to john dixon and kent obviously for this)

He got run over and killed I think - Ernie I mean - couple of years ago

Social source share

He got run over and killed I think - Ernie I mean - couple of years ago

yep was posted up at the time pete

john dixon had found him and interviewed him but had a tough time getting to him properly because of his various problems i think.

all very sad.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert