"10 overlooked Northern Soul classics..

Chatty

• The title was changed to "10 overlooked Northern Soul classics..
6 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

Lazy 'article' produced with ChatGPT or similar , pretty obvious from the regularly churned out opening paragraph describing the scene and its naming etc , etc.

Makes sense. Am only seeing this now. I need training (I don't read the press anymore) so I miss the training to tell mediocre liberal hand writing that from ChatGPT that dips in them writings... But indeed like 'the phrase 'Northern Soul' which is a term and not a phrase indicates a patchwork of texts that lacks that meaningful intelligence that even liberals can have at times. Only not their slave machines.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Yes, definite shades of Chat GPT in the intro. Just out of interest I put "summary of Northern Soul" or something like that into Chat GPT recently just out of curiosity and some of the text rings a lot of bells with that.

Overall not a terrible article for the layman though, if there are any laymen around now as the NS scene has been done to death now in mainstream media hasn't it?

Being a huge fan of Candi Staton the multiple "Stanton" references really grate. How did that happen?!

For the layman you can't really fail in listing 10 "overlooked" classics of the scene, but the choice of Lydia Pense over Barbara Lynn was really weird  in itself.

Social source share

I could walk out of my front door and find 1000 people in the next hour who have definitely overlooked these tunes and might like to hear them.

Once upon a time I'd never heard Out On The Floor, Sweetest Feeling or Picture Me Gone*. Bloody loved them. Soon found out there was a fair bit more to hear.

In short, I don't think it's aimed at us. But that's okay.

*I wonder. If we'd never heard any of the above three before and Butch suddenly played them on acetate at the 100 Club, what would be the reaction? Pretty enthusiastic I suspect.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Some great records mentioned, I can't see what's wrong with a chart that has "To Win Your Heart" by Laura Lee in it. I have known it for 50 years, but it's still a great record! Same goes for others like Candi Staton and Sandi Sheldon, Willie Tee, etc.  The article briefly sums things up, without going too deep but I wouldn't necessarily call them overlooked classics.

Edited by Solidsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!