Orchard House, Mablethorpe

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

I guess it was not long after this that Dave began his US forages and started to find/discover some great new tunes. I went to Wigan with Dave in his car a couple of times; me, and two Boston lads Mick Bradbury and Figgy.

Peter

:hatsoff2:

Figgy Forbes? I went to school with him in Boston, he was a couple of years older than me and we became friends. I remember him coming into school with his tapes recorded the previous weekend on a portable tape player in front of the speakers. It as though him I first heard northern soul.

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

7 hours ago, Peter99 said:

We're it all began for me. I've not seen Dave R on here for ages - but one I guess he'd like to see.ย  Circa 1976/7 I'd guess. The place is now a care home. @Dave Raistrick

image.thumb.png.79311f9cf2451b0c1e8e9c746f7fd0ca.png

Hi Peter.ย 

Sorry but don't remember this.ย  But have very vague memories of soul nights. So could be the same.ย  But I sort of remember a shop which had boxes of northern at the back. It was on Victoria Avenue.ย  If my screen shot is wrong please let me knowย 

Best regards mick

Screenshot_20240927_180900_Maps.jpg

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Greedy said:

Hi Peter.ย 

Sorry but don't remember this.ย  But have very vague memories of soul nights. So could be the same.ย  But I sort of remember a shop which had boxes of northern at the back. It was on Victoria Avenue.ย  If my screen shot is wrong please let me knowย 

Best regards mick

Screenshot_20240927_180900_Maps.jpg

Hello my friend

The record shop was Carls records - it was a little further down towards the High Street. He had plenty of northern soul stuff - I remember buying a mint RCA black issue of "cracking up over you" among many things.

I hope you're well pal.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Sutty said:

Figgy Forbes? I went to school with him in Boston, he was a couple of years older than me and we became friends. I remember him coming into school with his tapes recorded the previous weekend on a portable tape player in front of the speakers. It as though him I first heard northern soul.

Hello Sutty

Funnily enough I never knew Figgy's surname. He's about my age 61, used to frequent the Fleet, Cleethorpes, Rotherham, Wigan a few times with me etc. Had curly hair at one point - do you think we're talking about the same geezer?ย ๐Ÿค”

He was also a right poser!

Let me know if you think we have young Figgy Forbes bang to rights!ย 

All the best my friend.

Peter

:hatsoff2:ย 

Social source share

5 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Hello my friend

The record shop was Carls records - it was a little further down towards the High Street. He had plenty of northern soul stuff - I remember buying a mint RCA black issue of "cryacking up over you" among many things.

I hope you're well pal.

Peter

It's almost 50 years so thanksย  mateย ย 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Greedy said:

It's almost 50 years so thanksย  mateย ย 

Carl was a nice man - he's still knocking about Mablethorpe. I think he's a Town Councillor. He also had a bike repair shop a few doors down. Can you remember that. Ross, whose house you stayed at a few times, his older brother Jason, worked in the bike shop.

Happy memories Mick; we were all fit and well then.

Speak soon.

Your friend.

Peter

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

ร—