busy/not busy dancefloors?

Phil J
Go to solution Solved by Dr Ray Dj,

• New Members

I wrote a poem about a decade ago taking the **** out of Wedding D.J.'s who don't check out the dancefloor to see what's happening and kind of make the wrong choices which invariably empties the floor. I got to thinking, "Actually, this poem applies to some Northern Soul D.J.'s too".  How many times do we see a busy, buzzing dancefloor (50+ punters) only for the next D.J. to display a special set of skills in emptying the floor due to a ridiculous change in temp, change in style or simply that he wants to indulge his own (niche) tastes. We then see maybe two dancers for his slot and isn't dance supposed to be the main activity on the scene? Niche stuff is fine - obviously -  at a rare/underplayed night but surely not at a mainstream N.S. event? What do people think?

Social source share

He's probably just played twenty tunes that ain't in the "Top 500" that the "mainstream" crowd have never heard.

Don't forget the important point that everyone misses , the norvern soul' scene died and disappeared in 1981 with the close of some bingo hall oop north and remained lost until some enterprising yoof in Bristol resuscitated it and restarted the whole thing some 40-odd years later.

Edited by Woodbutcher
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

He's probably just played twenty tunes that ain't in the "Top 500" that the "mainstream" crowd have never heard.

Don't forget the important point that everyone misses , the norvern soul' scene died and disappeared in 1981 with the close of some bingo hall oop north and remained lost until some enterprising yoof in Bristol resuscitated it and restarted the whole thing some 40-odd years later.

😄 👍 

Social source share

• New Members

In addition to this debate, can’t understand how DJ’s don’t actually notice that they’ve emptied the floor!! Poor eyesight? I’d say (and it’s not a scientifically proven claim) that 90% of punters - particularly if you’ve been to work etc - just want to shake a leg/have a boogie of a Fri/Sat night and remember what it was like back in the 70’s! Perhaps those wanting to educate us with these fabulous (?) new discoveries could do it in the comfort of their homes OR get it out of their systems for the FIRST hour of an event (while ppl still arriving, greeting old mates, getting drinks in etc) or play them during the LAST hour when we’ve run out of steam and can no longer dance. Stop emptying a busy dance floor! (Unless you enjoy ruining punters’ nights out!) 

Social source share

I think it's a balance, danceable tunes people know and know how to dance good too plus less well known tunes. As well as dancing one of the valuable things from nights is coming away with an unknown but incredibly catch tune in your head and thinking I must find out what that is. My main thing is that dancing is less well documented that the music and I think there's a risk of losing this crucial part of the scene to history.

Social source share

• New Members

I think atmosphere crucial to the scene being sustainable and empty dance floors just lead to apathy and a feeling of ‘won’t be coming here again’ IMO I think rare/underplsyed/underground stuff should have their unique separate nights or a designated spot during a mainstream night but no more than that - as you say balance is a key issue but when you’ve had an empty dance floor for an hour because some guy has decided that 60’s R + B needs to be shared then everyone is onto a loser. It takes all types I suppose but I’ll say it again - without the dancing there wouldn’t  be a scene and that is what pulls 90% of punters in. As for the rare stuff, I know a group of DJ’s past & present who meet once a month in a pub (midweek) to spin rare sounds, now that’s what you call an excellent compromise  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• Solution
10 minutes ago, Phil J said:

I think atmosphere crucial to the scene being sustainable and empty dance floors just lead to apathy and a feeling of ‘won’t be coming here again’ IMO I think rare/underplsyed/underground stuff should have their unique separate nights or a designated spot during a mainstream night but no more than that - as you say balance is a key issue but when you’ve had an empty dance floor for an hour because some guy has decided that 60’s R + B needs to be shared then everyone is onto a loser. It takes all types I suppose but I’ll say it again - without the dancing there wouldn’t  be a scene and that is what pulls 90% of punters in. As for the rare stuff, I know a group of DJ’s past & present who meet once a month in a pub (midweek) to spin rare sounds, now that’s what you call an excellent compromise  

Another problem is the lack of younger dancers and how we get a good mix of old and young to keep a/the scene going even if it evolves into something different/new

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!