Nick Cowan BBC Merseyside Short Clip

Mike

Mucker passed on a few clips from Nick Cowans radio show a fair while back, given the recent conversation on here, thought worth a shake to get them up, though just 60 seconds worth but sort of gives a idea of how the show went

May rekindle some lost brain cells for some

For memories sake. A couple of requests from Nick Cowans radio spot on Terry Lennaine, BBC Radio Merseyside's 'Keep on Truckin' show, his 15 minute slot used to be a must listen back then, around 77/78

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Source said:

Mucker passed on a few clips from Nick Cowans radio show a fair while back, given the recent conversation on here, thought worth a shake to get them up, though just 60 seconds worth but sort of gives a idea of how the show went

May rekindle some lost brain cells for some

For memories sake. A couple of requests from Nick Cowans radio spot on Terry Lennaine, BBC Radio Merseyside's 'Keep on Truckin' show, his 15 minute slot used to be a must listen back then, around 77/78

Fanstatic stuff. I sent a few requests in to Nick fairly sure he played Burning Bush for me one night and possibly patti and the emblems. Thanks for digging that out but I must ask "Can I have some more" ? Please.

Social source share

13 hours ago, washlively said:

Fanstatic stuff. I sent a few requests in to Nick fairly sure he played Burning Bush for me one night and possibly patti and the emblems. Thanks for digging that out but I must ask "Can I have some more" ? Please.

Unfortunately there's was only a few clips like that, and it was about 20 years ago he gave them, I used to have own tapes meself back then but long gone now, next time will see the guy will ask if any more...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Source said:

Unfortunately there's was only a few clips like that, and it was about 20 years ago he gave them, I used to have own tapes meself back then but long gone now, next time will see the guy will ask if any more...

Thanks anyway. Back then to hear any type of Northern on the radio was a real novelty. I think thats why I remeber him on Terrys show so well. Plus he was a really nice guy and so enthusuastic.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 years later...
16 hours ago, Colindash said:

A friend unearthed this little nugget on a c-90, so I've put it on mixcloud for everyone to enjoy 

Thanks for that. All the memories came flooding back and he played a good selection too. I met Nick a few times at Warrington Carlton club. He was the first DJ I heard play Terry Callier Look at me now. I went running up to him from the bar to see what label it was on. I also met him at Sutton Con Club the venue he mentions in the show. I can even remember a few tunes from that night Frankie and Johnny and that Lesley Gore thing.....I know we are in love????. Never heard of him or seen him since Wigan.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Glad people enjoyed this show - very unusual to hear a recording of virtually all of Nick's spot on Keep on Trucking, as most people just pressed the pause button when Nick started speaking and just kept the (absolutely fantastic) music content. This show probably remained unedited cos it was the last one, if there are any more tapes they'll most likely just be the music, maybe with Nick's initial introduction at best. 

Social source share

Wow , this brings back some memories . Kevin Horsewood , Colin Dilnott and Myself knew Nick very well back in the early days he came from Stoke and used to go to the Torch , he moved to Liverpool to teach chemistry at Merchant Taylors school , a fan of 'real' ale we used to enjoy meeting up at the Green Lodge in Hoylake and then back to mine to spin some sounds . Last saw Nick at the Audience with Lamont Dozier in town 2015 .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Wow… what a pleasant surprise to see (and hear) this!...

Terrys’ Radio Merseyside show was a must-listen Monday night event to someone, like many others, in comparison to today, ‘starved’ of new music on the radio. As an added benefit, it was great to hear Nick start to broadcast a few Northern tracks, albeit, literally, two or three, at the end of the show.

Later through his limited DJ’ing sets a Sutton Conny Club in my hometown of St Helens, I got to know Nick well.

As an avid collector, his taste in Soul had already moved on from stock-in Northern (which he still loved) to less well known, sounds and he put me on to some great records. Nick used to lend me records to listen to at my leisure, which was a great way for me to hear many tunes for the first time, for which I’ll always be grateful and I still have the hand-written lists from our 'swap-meets'.

After many visits to his house, circumstances changed and we lost contact, but hearing this recording brings back many memories from a point in time and sincere thoughts for a really genuine, nice person. If you are reading this Nick, I’d just like to wish you all the very best, and if your around, would love to catch up again…

All the Best

Baz x  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Found this on Facebook 

To say that retired Chemistry teacher Mr Nick Cowan has had an explosive impact on Blue Coat during his time at the School is a literal as well as metaphorical truth, with his love of demonstrations which always went off with a bang!

In our upcoming 2020 Old Blues' magazine Nick reveals why his students nicknamed him Basil Fawlty, how he secured a five year guest spot on BBC Radio Merseyside's 'Keep on Truckin' show, and he shares his favourite experiment.  

Changed your postal or email address recently? To ensure you receive a copy of our 2020 Old Blues' magazine, click on the link below to access our 'Keeping in Touch' contact form.

www.bluecoatschoolliverpool.org.uk/old-blues/keep-touch/

FB_IMG_1726469566523.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

18 hours ago, BazM said:

Wow… what a pleasant surprise to see (and hear) this!...

Terrys’ Radio Merseyside show was a must-listen Monday night event to someone, like many others, in comparison to today, ‘starved’ of new music on the radio. As an added benefit, it was great to hear Nick start to broadcast a few Northern tracks, albeit, literally, two or three, at the end of the show.

Later through his limited DJ’ing sets a Sutton Conny Club in my hometown of St Helens, I got to know Nick well.

As an avid collector, his taste in Soul had already moved on from stock-in Northern (which he still loved) to less well known, sounds and he put me on to some great records. Nick used to lend me records to listen to at my leisure, which was a great way for me to hear many tunes for the first time, for which I’ll always be grateful and I still have the hand-written lists from our 'swap-meets'.

After many visits to his house, circumstances changed and we lost contact, but hearing this recording brings back many memories from a point in time and sincere thoughts for a really genuine, nice person. If you are reading this Nick, I’d just like to wish you all the very best, and if your around, would love to catch up again…

All the Best

Baz x  

I echo the Wow ! just browsing on here after a long time being away from SS and came across this.  Great memories of Nick at The Carlton, he used to have a natter with our gang every week - I was studying chemistry at Tech at the time, so had a bit in common. He was always keen to chat with my little sis Angela and her mates too  8-)   Scribbling notes for requests and shout-outs on next week's Keep On Trucking. Great times.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!