Legendary singer Frankie Beverly dies at the age of 77..

That is truly terrible news.    Cannot believe it.
I want To Feel I'm Wanted (with the Butlers 1966) is one my fave tunes of all time.
And his version with Maze (1985) is pretty amazing too.
Not to mention Joy & Pain being one of the greatest ever.
We are losing all the "greats" - how depressing.
But just play any of above to lighten up your day - I am now.

T.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Sad, sad news.  Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

So many great tracks, such a wonderful voice.

"Maze featuring Frankie Beverly: Live in New Orleans" is my favourite live Soul album (many are mediocre).

I am sure everyone on here has watched the video many times, but just in case...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

very Sad...   i went (alone) to watch MAZE, Rock City , Nottm (none of my mates had heard of him/them).     was blown away by the musicianship,  the songs,  the voice, the soul.      had to go again, 'back in stride' tour at Hammersmith... that time, 4 of us went,   all 4 of us, lifelong Frankie Beverly fans.  impossible songs to cover, even play along to,  such is the musical genius of the man.  a true giant of our time. RIP friend  :( 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

If that's what you wanted, is and always has been my favourite NS song of all time, just everything about it is what I love about the music, I love his other early stuff, and his Maze music.

A big shock to me and a sad loss the soul family, and of course his family & friends

Rest in peace Frankie

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, Soulman58 said:

RIP Frankie. 🙏 Such sad news, the only comfort is the memory of 3 brilliant concerts and the legacy of songs he gave us.  Currently on third straight play of the live version of The Look In Your Eyes.

The look in your eyes is my stand out favourite. Love him and his music. Saw Maze 3 times nothing better.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Keamus said:

A real soulful presence with a style all of his own. Particular fave of mine

Yep superb. Matter of interest one Sunday evening late 70s early 80s I saw something in the TV guide. Maybe BBC2 saying hour long special Maze Live in New Orleans. Amazing that this concert was shown on the Beeb. 

Social source share

37 minutes ago, Steve Foran said:

Yep superb. Matter of interest one Sunday evening late 70s early 80s I saw something in the TV guide. Maybe BBC2 saying hour long special Maze Live in New Orleans. Amazing that this concert was shown on the Beeb. 

there is a live Lp of it as well, presume its that show, 1981

https://www.discogs.com/master/159835-Maze-Featuring-Frankie-Beverly-Live-In-New-Orleans

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!