Compared To What - Guy Hennigan ?

Go to solution Solved by Martin L,

Hoping for  some assistance please 

Guy played a version of Compared To What on Dean Andersons sound of soul show a few months back    and i have  been trying to locate the Artist      does anyone know the artist it was a very funky fast version  i seem to remember the lady was european    ???

Many thanks in anticipation 

Martin L x 

Social source share

22 minutes ago, Martin L said:

Hoping for  some assistance please 

Guy played a version of Compared To What on Dean Andersons sound of soul show a few months back    and i have  been trying to locate the Artist      does anyone know the artist it was a very funky fast version  i seem to remember the lady was european    ???

Many thanks in anticipation 

Martin L x 

It's Stefanie Vhynak

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, Mike said:

says 250 + covers here

loads of quality covers though out there imo, many with different approaches, making it hard to pick a definite one?

can clock a great live version here

grab a brew though as its 8 mins long!

That's a very cool video - nice jazzy version. Being an old stick in the mud it would take something to steer me away from Mr Floods party - superb dance track. That's the one I was brought up on. 

Peter

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

6 hours ago, Mike said:

says 250 + covers here

loads of quality covers though out there imo, many with different approaches, making it hard to pick a definite one?

can clock a great live version here

grab a brew though as its 8 mins long!

Best version for me.

I have a promo copy of the LP where one af the lyrics is bleeped out. Stock copy plays as normal.

Also like Roberta Flacks version

Cheers Paul

Social source share

On 14/09/2024 at 14:26, Davace said:

Agree Floods is a great dancer and McCann has  a  great groove.When picking up the McCann 45 on Atlantic I was horrified to hear the sound effect beeps...spoiled it for me.

Going to check mine now, haven't played the 7 in years. 

Social source share

I like Les McCann's original version best.  It was a big hit on KGFJ and KDIA, and they only played the very best fast and mid-tempo Jazz instrumentals. They stayed away from slow, bluesy instrumentals.  Eddie Harris' version was played and charted nicely, too.  I think WVON and WBEE played them in Chicago, too.  I was really big on Blue Note and Atlantic Jazz at that time, as well as Afro-Latin Jazz.  Luckily, very few of the Soul collectors were competition for me -especially  for the 45s.  Getting mint Jazz LPs for discount rates , or mint DJ LPs at thrift stores or in bargain bins was much tougher.  Funny thing, I'm the only one I ever knew who generally liked the shorter marketing 45s' 3 minute versions of Jazz LP title and featured songs, than the 5b ton 10 minute album versions.  The compact 45 versions were much more structured and thus, to me, tighter.  The much longer LP versions rambled all over the place, and often had enough time to have a slot for a long solo for each major instrument with a lot of improvisational wandering away from the general track of the song. (which many, many, if not most Jazz fans like).  And I do appreciate them; but I like the tighter, structured tunes much more.  After all, who wants to listen to 9 straight minutes of only drums, while waiting, hopelessly, for the music to come back?????!!!  😝

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!