Jerry Cummings on Mecca

Hello everyone,

I have a series of doubts about this 45:

image.png.be628e24be62592b254a8d42cd7ee2f0.png

The copy on the left is the one you usually see but about fifteen years ago I bought the other one on eBay. The seller was Japanese and I seem to remember that he advertised it as original. I've never seen one and I haven't found one again either....and I have looked for it a lot. 

After seeing a comment from Jerry Cummings on Discogs I contacted him.  He claim on the page of this record on Discogs that it was a Bootleg since he had never officially published it. He told me by email the following:

"The black and yellow is what I printed back in 1978. But never released it publicly. Somehow somebody did...... Well I guess it was a hit that I never released. I left a couple copies in New York in 1978 with Columbia Records and that was the last time I saw it until now"

He don't remember the Orange with red letters. It has a different design and a different serial number too. The vinyl also seems thicker. I will to upload quality images about the incriptions in the matrix of both records.

I'm from Spain so I can only trace when it started to be played in UK through literature. I have checked in my old Soul fanzines and the first reference appears in a Voices from the Shadows from the Early 90's. Off course I'm talking about the yellow copy with black letters. 

Musically I have always liked it a lot "All I do is think of you". I think is a great song. In case anyone is interested , Jerry Cummings has a book about his life:

Amazon.com:  From Gold to Glory: 9781637692486: Cummings, Jerry

I would appreciate if anyone can provide some more information about the history behind these pressings.

Thanks in advance! 

Ismael 

Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi again ,

An updated with the matrix numbers. 

From the one with red letters. I'm not an anorak but according the information on Discogs it's from Houston Records pressing plant. Date 1978: 

image.png.7bfa8576dc71226992ce03b9e38b86f4.png

image.png.5473c938a8cbe92c08a2a6deffed8cbc.png

An a pair of pictures from the one with black letter: 

image.png.0ba688a56a36f5ae05c414a855c7db03.png

image.png.51d5950388fcf84dcab702c727131480.png

Nashville Record Productions. Also date 1978.

I have listened to both 45's in detail and I think they are two differents takes , with little changes in production and vocals. 

Maybe somebody can shed some light about the subject.  Thanks! 

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert