JMAuction - 28/08/2024 - Results!

The Treetop 45 once crashed through the roof like that. I can't understand it at all.
Great record, nice and mysterious - but maximum 450£ in NM.
Not even the even rarer yellow demo copy comes close to that amount.
Incomprehensible, although I agree with JM that these TUFF 45s rarely appear in NM condition. 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Zanetti said:

The Treetop 45 once crashed through the roof like that. I can't understand it at all.
Great record, nice and mysterious - but maximum 450£ in NM.
Not even the even rarer yellow demo copy comes close to that amount.
Incomprehensible, although I agree with JM that these TUFF 45s rarely appear in NM condition. 

This auction copy is the rarer variant with the brown print TUFF logo instead of the more common black print logo.

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

57 minutes ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

I wonder why John goes into great detail explaining what the record sounds like, a sax break here, a female backing there and then has a sound file to listen to the actual record.

Some of us want to see a book published - he must spend hours penning the descriptions so let’s hope there’ll be a nice fat volume of shiny pages and colourful photos one day.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

28 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Some of us want to see a book published - he must spend hours penning the descriptions so let’s hope there’ll be a nice fat volume of shiny pages and colourful photos one day.

I thought it was a truth universally acknowledged that Theresa had a hand in them.

Social source share

56 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

His auction successes, I guess, perhaps answers your question.

Yes maybe you're right. I suppose if he hadn't informed us of "The unique oohing choir hovering over the insistent piano, guitar racing percussion delivered a captivating dance pulse. soon the panic whiplash effects had the Wigan crowd hooked". If he hadn't mentioned that then Construction might not have reached over £1000. Then again the bidders could have listened to the soundfile.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Lets hope not! 😵‍💫 Not something I would buy. The price guides really spoiled record collecting from the States and from UK record fairs/shops, and still are to this day!

I only want the records, not another book!

Edited by Solidsoul
Social source share

1 hour ago, Theresa said:

Honestly not, all his own work. He will do a book with the best ones in eventually which will be an absolute cracker. Hope you & Claire are well Rod 😊

Great news Theresa. Thanks for posting.

1 hour ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

I thought it was a truth universally acknowledged that Theresa had a hand in them.

Thanks for enlightening us Rod.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

I always thought Mel Britt was a cracking record. A jolly nice evening’s results for John and thoroughly deserved with a proper set of tunes up for grabs. Thought Soft Touch would go for much more but the blurb didn’t do justice to this under the radar tune.

I was surprised by this one too, but i think that smokey poppy vocal isn’t for everyone. The male voice that comes in halfway through is magical though, shame they don’t revisit that conceit in it again. Am a fan of the record personally btw.

Social source share

17 hours ago, Solidsoul said:

Lets hope not! 😵‍💫 Not something I would buy. The price guides really spoiled record collecting from the States and from UK record fairs/shops, and still are to this day!

I only want the records, not another book!

Unfortunately that ship has sailed. To be fair, it cast off when eBay arrived, really.

Social source share

I know it's all subjective, but I can't understand why anyone would pay a grand for Construction - or at least, anyone into soul.

Yes, historic, yes, Searling and Wigan, yes I have danced my head off to it, admittedly chemically-assisted when I'd probably dance to The Birdy Song, and it has a great backing track but the vocal is horrendous.

Then again, Sharon McMahan is undoubtedly soulful but it sounds like mid 70s MOR shite to me and I can't understand why anyone would pay £600 for that.

I need a lie down, or a drink.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

So 'Construction' is your thing....?  Good record, did you see that other track on SYNC6 on Tim's auction just now? 'The Parade'  no where near as good, but I'd never seen another track on that label, interesting stuff.

Best records on that auction for me, was Paul Smith, Ozz Sperlings & Mel britt. Sharon McMahan is very nice, but you can pick up equal late 7ts early 8ts tracks like that for very very little... think I'd plough through those first and settle for an mp3.

224428_parade.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Mal C said:

So 'Construction' is your thing....?  Good record, did you see that other track on SYNC6 on Tim's auction just now? 'The Parade'  no where near as good, but I'd never seen another track on that label, interesting stuff.

Best records on that auction for me, was Paul Smith, Ozz Sperlings & Mel britt. Sharon McMahan is very nice, but you can pick up equal late 7ts early 8ts tracks like that for very very little... think I'd plough through those first and settle for an mp3.

224428_parade.jpg

Yeah saw that,it’s an instrumental,not the best instrumental in the world,but certainly playable!

Social source share

9 hours ago, Corbett80 said:

I was surprised by this one too, but i think that smokey poppy vocal isn’t for everyone. The male voice that comes in halfway through is magical though, shame they don’t revisit that conceit in it again. Am a fan of the record personally btw.

One of many all-time great records. Maybe Wigan nostalgia at work here but remember it at The 100 Club, packed dance floor, hand-clapping lifting the ceiling off…knew then it was going into the collection🎶🎶🎶

• Up vote 1
Social source share

a post with a mp3 has been dropped

we do have a long running mp3 policy for the main forums

No Uploading of Audio Music Files

Due to copyright issues, we cannot allow the upload of sound files (unless you do have permission to share from the record label). Audio links/embeds from legal sources are permitted

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/source-help/content-guidelines/forum-guidelines-r38/

We are looking at making this a more workable policy, but it is still valid and do ask all members to follow it untill further notice

Social source share

34 minutes ago, Source Team said:

a post with a mp3 has been dropped

we do have a long running mp3 policy for the main forums

No Uploading of Audio Music Files

Due to copyright issues, we cannot allow the upload of sound files (unless you do have permission to share from the record label). Audio links/embeds from legal sources are permitted

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/source-help/content-guidelines/forum-guidelines-r38/

We are looking at making this a more workable policy, but it is still valid and do ask all members to follow it untill further notice

remind  me  what format @Mal C uploaded his sound files

Social source share

33 minutes ago, Simon T said:

remind  me  what format @Mal C uploaded his sound files

As said we are looking at making this a more worktable format

for now am asking all members to get back to following our long running policy

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mike said:

As said we are looking at making this a more worktable format

for now am asking all members to get back to following our long running policy

that's told me then, sorry to have darkened you door

Social source share

On 29/08/2024 at 14:34, Dobber said:

Personally I like the construction as a “northern tune” but no desire to own it

northern soul has always been more about the beat and feel to me rather than the “soul” content,I reckon 80% of my top 50 is gonna be blue eyed !

Takes all sorts. To be fair, I have a few guilty pleasures of my own. I'm an absolute sucker for Ten Miles High 😬😂

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Paraboliccurve said:

Takes all sorts. To be fair, I have a few guilty pleasures of my own. I'm an absolute sucker for Ten Miles High 😬😂

Me too,  I have a soft spot for The Mob "Open the door" as well,

I'm blaming The Mecca. It's Levine's fault😜

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Paraboliccurve said:

Wow. I'd say it needs loads of guilt to like ten miles high 😉

I really like The Construction btw....

Social source share

7 hours ago, Benji said:

Well if it needs loads of guilt to like Ten miles high then I must be a lost cause, I like TMH and a load more of a similar ilk. No wonder I'm a wreck. Thankfully I've never sunk to the level of Construction🤣

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

17 hours ago, Benji said:

Maybe it's different for British soulies.

We grew up listening to northern from older brothers or at youth clubs and school discos and then scooter rallies; often it wasn't that soulful (because youth clubs and school discos and scooter rallies didn't have DJs with amazing records), but the music often still has a place in our hearts.

TMH wouldn't be in my serious top 5,000 northern records, but it reminds me of being thirteen or fourteen so it has something extra.

Similar records from that time for me would be Like One (Jean Carter), You Are (Bobby Reed), Raining Teardrops (The Demures) - they're obviously not blue eyed and are objectively 'better' than TMH, but they have the sane emotional pull because they date to the same time for me (school discos, DJs playing off the early Kent albums). 

(I have all of those but not TMH, oddly.)

Few mainland European sound fans have that experience to look back on I guess. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Paraboliccurve said:

Maybe it's different for British soulies.

We grew up listening to northern from older brothers or at youth clubs and school discos and then scooter rallies; often it wasn't that soulful (because youth clubs and school discos and scooter rallies didn't have DJs with amazing records), but the music often still has a place in our hearts.

TMH wouldn't be in my serious top 5,000 northern records, but it reminds me of being thirteen or fourteen so it has something extra.

Similar records from that time for me would be Like One (Jean Carter), You Are (Bobby Reed), Raining Teardrops (The Demures) - they're obviously not blue eyed and are objectively 'better' than TMH, but they have the sane emotional pull because they date to the same time for me (school discos, DJs playing off the early Kent albums). 

(I have all of those but not TMH, oddly.)

Few mainland European sound fans have that experience to look back on I guess. 

I have a different perspective.

I remember when "Hey Little Way Out Girl" was a Richard Searling exclusive he had covered up as the Del Capris!  It was the biggest record in the country. A virtually unobtainable massive sound that you could only hear at the very best upfront allnighters💥. It's one of those records that sound awesome loud in an allnighter and the top dj's  really wanted to able to get a copy to play!

Everything changed when it came out on the Grapevine single. Then anyone could have it and it was dropped from all major playlists.

Playing it at home doesn't have the same effect as it did in those far off allnighters!

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Solidsoul said:

I remember when "Hey Little Way Out Girl" was a Richard Searling exclusive he had covered up as the Del Capris!  It was the biggest record in the country. A virtually unobtainable massive sound that you could only hear at the very best upfront allnighters💥. It's one of those records that sound awesome loud in an allnighter and the top dj's  really wanted to able to get a copy to play!

Everything changed when it came out on the Grapevine single. Then anyone could have it and it was dropped from all major playlists.

Playing it at home doesn't have the same effect as it did in those far off allnighters!

Agreed, also "Construction" seemed to really suit being played at Station Road. 

(p.s. I have both "10 miles high" and "Hey little way out girl". They don't come close to being the most guilty of "guilty pleasures" in my record collection!!! I feel much better now I've said that)

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Solidsoul said:

That's not really a different perspective, I don't think?

All I was saying was a lot of the sounds I am still fond of - though have no desire to own, and wouldn't want to hear if I ever went out, which I don't! - resonate because of the time and place.

Obviously I can't say whether I'd have been into Hey Little Way Out Girl when played by Searling - maybe, depending on how much gear I'd necked.

But it never formed any real part of my youth (though I did actually buy the Grapevine release - I would argue that was because I didn't really know what soul was at that point).

There's loads of records like it, of course. Fontella Bass. College disco heaven. Muriel Day. Under My Thumb by Wayne Gibson FFS! Even the 'Detroit Prophets' version of Suspicion - obviously an entirely fake record (though also not white), but I still love it because it instantly takes me back to Great Yarmouth in 1983ish, with my tongue down a teenage modette's throat, hoping I'll get her bra off.

I should say that my story is obviously that of a second or maybe third generation soulie, I didn't start listening to northern till the early 80s.

Within a year of that I was going to Stafford and the 100 Club, and my 'education' had begun, and I left all that old stuff behind like the terrible snob I was. But it's still there somewhere in my black little heart.

Social source share

23 minutes ago, Bo Diddley said:

Agreed, also "Construction" seemed to really suit being played at Station Road. 

(p.s. I have both "10 miles high" and "Hey little way out girl". They don't come close to being the most guilty of "guilty pleasures" in my record collection!!! I feel much better now I've said that)

These type of records provided a little bit of "sweetness" against the backdrop of some of the nasty sounding stuff. James Coit being an example of the nasty side of things.

Peter

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Paraboliccurve said:

That's not really a different perspective, I don't think?

All I was saying was a lot of the sounds I am still fond of - though have no desire to own, and wouldn't want to hear if I ever went out, which I don't! - resonate because of the time and place.

Obviously I can't say whether I'd have been into Hey Little Way Out Girl when played by Searling - maybe, depending on how much gear I'd necked.

But it never formed any real part of my youth (though I did actually buy the Grapevine release - I would argue that was because I didn't really know what soul was at that point).

There's loads of records like it, of course. Fontella Bass. College disco heaven. Muriel Day. Under My Thumb by Wayne Gibson FFS! Even the 'Detroit Prophets' version of Suspicion - obviously an entirely fake record (though also not white), but I still love it because it instantly takes me back to Great Yarmouth in 1983ish, with my tongue down a teenage modette's throat, hoping I'll get her bra off.

I should say that my story is obviously that of a second or maybe third generation soulie, I didn't start listening to northern till the early 80s.

Within a year of that I was going to Stafford and the 100 Club, and my 'education' had begun, and I left all that old stuff behind like the terrible snob I was. But it's still there somewhere in my black little heart.

Isn't The Detroit Prophets the same record as The Originals only speeded up.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I mean, depending on what level of semantics you want to descend to, *you* asked 'Isn't The Detroit Prophets etc etc', which presupposes the existence of 'The Detroit Prophets'.

Anyway, sure, I suppose you're technically correct, but it was released on a 45 (so it did exist) and, as I say, I said it was fake.

I know there was no such group, it was known at the time even by spotty Lambretta riders, and I didn't (and don't) think there was any need to amplify that obvious fact beyond what I said.

Not sure that this is adding anything to the original point either way?

Unless I'm missing something?

Social source share

10 hours ago, Solidsoul said:

I remeber it too. It was massive for Richard as an exclusive.

Also a couple of weeks before the Grapevine release all the all-nighter jocks got a promo copy. So every one of them started their spot with it one Saturday @ Wigan.

I went straight to Brum Locarno All-dayer where all jocks started their spots with it too.

Safe to say I really don't need to hear the freaking thing anymore in this lifetime.

Cheers Paul

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 hours ago, Paraboliccurve said:

I mean, depending on what level of semantics you want to descend to, *you* asked 'Isn't The Detroit Prophets etc etc', which presupposes the existence of 'The Detroit Prophets'.

Anyway, sure, I suppose you're technically correct, but it was released on a 45 (so it did exist) and, as I say, I said it was fake.

I know there was no such group, it was known at the time even by spotty Lambretta riders, and I didn't (and don't) think there was any need to amplify that obvious fact beyond what I said.

Not sure that this is adding anything to the original point either way?

Unless I'm missing something?

I just pointed out the fact that it's the same record, it's you that made a big deal out of it.

There should be a new set of Manship auction results to discuss, forget last weeks

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!