1960's (N)Soul Club Outlying Areas

Born & grew up in Yorkshire. First allniter was in 1966, though I'd been hanging with the Donny & Hull soul crowds ahead of that time (but just doing mainly local clubs as I was still in school  -- I did however have a Lambretta, so got to soul clubs in Hull , Goole, Tadcaster, Cleggy, etc.).

First niters attended were in Sheffield, then Leicester & by September 67, I was going to the Wheel in Manc. Also did the Tin Chicken (Castleford), a 2nd Manc niter (when we had car trouble xing the Pennines & so arrived outside the Wheel too late to gain entry). In summer, we'd get further afield (on the bikes & in friend's cars); Brid, Yarmouth, Norwich, etc.

ALSO Donny was a Saturday evening meeting point for the Hull, Goole, Scunthorpe, Grimsby, Lincoln soul crowds on their way to a niter. So I got to know guys from all over -- those who came to Donny en-route to a niter and those I met at niters. So I had loads of soul obsessed acquaintances back then. By the start of 1967 I had my 1st full time job, so had more cash to splash (so went more often & further afield (record hunting / clothes buying / gig attending trips to London, Leighton Buzzard, Coventry, Leeds, etc). ALSO, having my first job brought other perks. I worked for the Council in Highway Design offices (M1, etc.) and we'd be gifted little things at Amas. Being a newby I didn't get much, but I did get a 1967 pocket diary (1st one I'd ever had).

I'd list what I got up to back then and it's the only way (these days) I can account for my movements / actions back then. For some reason, I didn't get given a 1968 diary, so my escapades in 68 / 69 / 70 are now almost a complete blank (apart from a few memorable live acts I got to see).

ANYWAY, finally I get to my point ... I listed at the time guts who Id met on my travels and who I'd got to know. But many times, this would just be a Christian name ? nickname & own of origin. HENCE ... Toots, John & Gunner from Peterboro.

I went to see folk I'd met at niters in the likes of Hull, Goole, Lincoln, Nottingham, Sheffield, etc. thus I'd visit clubs in Hull (Gondola, Discotheque, Skyline), Wakefield (Locarno), Tadcaster (Boulevard), Brid (Jungle), Goole (Paradise), Cleggy (?).

Some names I listed back then I hardly recall any details of the actual people now ... of course only meeting up a couple of times a month or only in certain clubs didn't make for strong friendships but at the time they were important people in my social life. Anyone help fill in the gaps with regard to any of this lot  & what became of them ...

Mick Graham, Steve P, Pip, Penny, Pete, Pete & Ben;; Scunny   ALSO Steve King (probably from Scunny as I wrote he was with Fred (Benson) @ the Mojo.

Kenny Sharpe, Click, Eric, Dave & George, the 2 Sues; Nottingham

Jean; Goole

Pete Hardy; Hull (he emigrated to Canada in 67, seem to recall getting a note from him in 69/70 in with some 45's sent from Koppel's). 

Veronica & Dee; York

Phil Pearson, Stew, Ben & Rimmo; Sheffield

Shiela, Ces & Banger; Leicester

Alan & Mac; Norwich

Roger, Cardiff

Pete; London (a Nite Owl attendee)

Pete & Chris; Ashford

Ipswich; strangely he was from Ipswich

Sinbad; Wolverhampton

Brian, Walsall

Mick & John; Kidderminster

Mick Murphy; Northampton (probably met him @ the Nite Owl).

Also got matey with a lad from Banbury @ the Nite Owl (Leicester) but his name now escapes me (but there can't have been too many Banbury guys who attended the Owl in summer 67).

NiteOwlWallpaper.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

The folk I'd really like any more info / updates on are these few (from above) ...

Alan & Mac; Norwich

Roger, Cardiff

Pete & Chris; Ashford

Ipswich; strangely he was from Ipswich

Sinbad; Wolverhampton

Brian, Walsall

Mick & John; Kidderminster

Can't have been too many niter goers from those areas back in 1967.

CHEERS

HullSkylineOct67.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!