John Manship auction results Wednesday 21st August 2024

Go to solution Solved by Peter99,

14 minutes ago, Mal C said:

blimey, paid £70 maybe £80 for it off a mate in 98/99, thats some inflation!

Yeah mate,we know records go up and looking back we’ve all had what looks like bargains,first time I had the record was in the late 80’s 25 quid at Hyde botanical soul club,but 1900 is bloody extreme….jesus wept!

Social source share

20 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Supposedly rare red issue when compared to the white demo of John Bowie - finishing value really off the scale of bewilderment BUT if someone has the money and it is their favourite record, anything can happen.

How rare is it though, been plenty of copies sold over the years.  It wasn't that long ago it was 3/400 quid.  The price every time one comes up for sale since just seems to double.  I can remember the bewilderment when it fetched about 700, then £1k.  There is no logic to these prices.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• Solution
14 minutes ago, Chalky said:

How rare is it though, been plenty of copies sold over the years.  It wasn't that long ago it was 3/400 quid.  The price every time one comes up for sale since just seems to double.  I can remember the bewilderment when it fetched about 700, then £1k.  There is no logic to these prices.

Someone must have bought a favourite record at that price. Additionally, Johnny knows how to run an auction. 

I think it's one of those records - you either love it, or............................................

Peter

:hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Agreed - no logic to this finishing price. Manny bigged up the rare red-issue thing but it’s not that rare with c50 copies listed on Popsike. Rather interestingly, there’s only c20 white demos on Popsike making this the harder to own variety!

Social source share

43 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Agreed - no logic to this finishing price. Manny bigged up the rare red-issue thing but it’s not that rare with c50 copies listed on Popsike. Rather interestingly, there’s only c20 white demos on Popsike making this the harder to own variety!

Popsike doesn't tell the whole story regarding sale s of rec rods so cannot make a judgement about rarity going by sales on there

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just now, Solidsoul said:

😵‍💫 He can get the very highest prices! 

And he does it consistently which is why so many people sell their records via him. People knock him; but his track record speaks for itself; he knows his stuff. I mean he's been around forever............ 😆

Peter

Social source share

21 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Popsike doesn't tell the whole story regarding sale s of rec rods so cannot make a judgement about rarity going by sales on there

True but it is a rough indicator and one of the best out there. Yes, Discogs and other databases exist but they’re no better, clunkier to access, and even less comprehensive. In an ideal world, Tim Brown’s results alongside John’s would give a current valuation for auctionable items; Soul-Source sales can give a pretty good idea of current values but many of these are eBay ie Popsike based. Popsike infact informs us of how un-rare a record is eg John Bowie.

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Corbett80 said:

Whats particularly nuts about this JB price is there is a clean issue sat on Adey P’s site for a grand, and has been there for a while.

I just can’t work out what leads people yo pay these prices. When the most basic Google search will find them cheaper for you.

I think JB is one of the best northern records ever, but paying 6 times it’s realistic price is utterly bonkers. It also kind of f*cks it for young collectors who might want a copy. If ‘not rare’ records are now £1800 odd what hope is there for them?

I think they're either incapable of doing an internet search or just too lazy.

I see it everywhere , on numerous forums , covering a multitude of interests , where folk , rather than spend two minutes looking for themselves , would rather type a question on the forum and sit around for hours waiting for someone else to answer. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Peter99 said:

I think it's one of those records - you either love it, or............................................

Peter

Well you know a lot of people with good taste do like both sides, so why do you want to spoil it for them with negative comments!

Edited by Solidsoul
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Solidsoul said:

Well you know a lot of people with good taste do like both sides, so why do you want to spoil it for them with negative comments!

Oh come on. If you want to get all prickly about something find something to get prickly about. I'm sure my contribution to the thread didn't spoil anything for anyone. 

Peter 

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Corbett80 said:

Whats particularly nuts about this JB price is there is a clean issue sat on Adey P’s site for a grand, and has been there for a while.

I just can’t work out what leads people yo pay these prices. When the most basic Google search will find them cheaper for you.

I think JB is one of the best northern records ever, but paying 6 times it’s realistic price is utterly bonkers. It also kind of f*cks it for young collectors who might want a copy. If ‘not rare’ records are now £1800 odd what hope is there for them?

Joe Dunlop has a mint one at a grand too,been there for a while,because up until jm’s result I think a grand is to heavy really,700 quid feels more comfortable to me?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

True but it is a rough indicator and one of the best out there. Yes, Discogs and other databases exist but they’re no better, clunkier to access, and even less comprehensive. In an ideal world, Tim Brown’s results alongside John’s would give a current valuation for auctionable items; Soul-Source sales can give a pretty good idea of current values but many of these are eBay ie Popsike based. Popsike infact informs us of how un-rare a record is eg John Bowie.

Auctions are never the best gauge of any current price.  It only takes two or three to get the red mist descend and it can go way out of control.  Ebay many dealers and collectors no longer use it so again not a great idea of a current price and that is where popsike gets its results.you are forgetting the massive resource that is Facebook as well.  Great history of sales on there in the various groups.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Dobber said:

Joe Dunlop has a mint one at a grand too,been there for a while,because up until jm’s result I think a grand is to heavy really,700 quid feels more comfortable to me?

Agree! Should be £300 on the amount of them about really :)

Social source share

8 hours ago, Mal C said:

blimey, paid £70 maybe £80 for it off a mate in 98/99, thats some inflation!

Yeah, you bought it off me in the Heart and Hand in Brighton and I spent half the money in the pub. It came from John Bowies brother in the Bronx via Butch. That auction price is mad, there are some proper mugs out there, it’s not that rare at all.

Edited by Sutty
  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

27 minutes ago, Quinvy said:

Must be lovely to have so much spare cash. 🤦‍♂️

Yes it must be. In one way I'm pleased I managed to kick the vinyl habit in 2018 - giving my last modest collection away for free sort of sealed it.

I suspect lots of people are swapping and selling bits to get the new records they would like and to keep the collection fresh. Notwithstanding that, there are still some people about who have plenty of disposable income, and there are far more damaging things to buy with it than vinyl. 🙂

Peter

😉

Social source share

On 24/08/2024 at 13:18, Chalky said:

as a bog standard collector the john bowie issue was one i used to trade off knowing full well i`d get one back at a reasonable price in the late 80s to around 2010.. think im on my 6th copy bought from the late steve clarke for £150 about 8 years ago... needless to say i will think long and hard about letting my current copy go as it may never see the shelves again

• Up vote 3
Social source share

7 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

as a bog standard collector the john bowie issue was one i used to trade off knowing full well i`d get one back at a reasonable price in the late 80s to around 2010.. think im on my 6th copy bought from the late steve clarke for £150 about 8 years ago... needless to say i will think long and hard about letting my current copy go as it may never see the shelves again

Understandable Dave. It’s a ‘keeper’ nowadays. Demand will always outstrip supply of this record.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 24/08/2024 at 12:54, Mal C said:

I always liked the flip of that track 'At the End of The Day', not better, but a different sort of song, and well equal in quality...

That’s the better of the two sides for me always really liked that one

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2024 at 13:06, Frankie Crocker said:

John Standberry Jr went for a higher value than shown.

How much higher?

JM had this listed as from the completely wrong state. It's a Jacksonville 45 in every way.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!