Leather sole mens shoes - please could someone help/advise?

Hi there,

Please could anyone point me in the right direction for some mens leather soled lace up shoes please?

Since 1980 I've just wornoticed cheap brogues and 'accessorised' with talc. But am ever increasingly aware that talc users are viewed the same as paedos by many.

I do understand the ever ageing demographic, people keen to claim compo and respiratory diseases, but it saddenseems me how curmudgeonly and sanctimonious many are becoming. I would never dream of trying to police another attendee, but there you go.

Right, apologies for that but by it was cathartic!

Back to business - I've heard of Loakes but they seem to come in at about 250 nickel!  Is that the going rate or can you pick up a pair for around half that amount? 

A cursory Google search brings up a lot of non-leather soled items, such so I hoped a member of the soul fraternity may be able to help or point me in the right direction.

Please may I offer thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to respond.

Many thanks! 

Edited by hullsoulie
Typos
Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Nowt wrong using talc to help dancers shuffler. The complainants usually can’t dance as they’re glued to the floor. Church’s brogues are fine but they cost a lot. There are lesser known brands available in good shoe shops but again they cost a lot - if just used for dancing, they’ll last years.

Social source share

Check out Delicious Junction, I've had a pair of their leather brogues for around 5 years. They have a sale on a the moment. Cheaper than Loakes, that said I have had a pair of Loakes fir a lot longer and still in fine fettle.

Edited by Twoshoes
Spelling
Social source share

All good recommendations,so long as flat sole, Goodyear welted gibsons/derbys or brogues. Made in UK if possible. Another perfect option is Sanders from Northampton who often have discounts. For dancing I'd avoid overpaying as sweat will age the shoes quickly. I have Crockett & Jones,Russell & Bromley,Barkers etc but would not dance in them- same with Churches or Cheaney who are too good for that use to me. Loake and Sanders seem the right quality to price for me to dance in.

Social source share

8 hours ago, Thinksmart said:

All good recommendations,so long as flat sole, Goodyear welted gibsons/derbys or brogues. Made in UK if possible. Another perfect option is Sanders from Northampton who often have discounts. For dancing I'd avoid overpaying as sweat will age the shoes quickly. I have Crockett & Jones,Russell & Bromley,Barkers etc but would not dance in them- same with Churches or Cheaney who are too good for that use to me. Loake and Sanders seem the right quality to price for me to dance in.

Fair comment about some of these brands being to nice and possibly to expensive to ruin.  But you can really tell the difference between a well made shoe and a lower priced variation.

its a shame some brands have chosen to cut costs and reduce quality but the market for higher end quality shoes may be quite limited ?

Social source share

If you are willing to buy from ebay or Vinted, you can often find top quality leather shoes with leather soles that have either not been worn at all or worn just once for a wedding or similar occasion, check the details in the description and check for creasing, usually across the widest part of the foot and check also for wear on the soles . Most of the best UK brands to look for have been mentioned above, except for Grenson, Alfred Sargent and Trickers. Top quality European brands can also be found, so in the last year I have been able to purchase a pair of Testoni loafers and a pair of Vass toecap oxfords for less than a quarter of the retail price. Other great European brands to look for include Carmina and Meermin. There are many pitfalls to buying second hand, speaking as someone who blundered into this blind, so if you're not sure about buying this quality of shoe and just want the one pair of dancing shoes, contact https://abbotsshoes.com and they will take you though the buying process. Your shoes will cost around £100  - £150 but you will know that your purchase will fit you and will be fit for purpose. Hope this helps and happy hunting,

David

Social source share

On 18/08/2024 at 16:24, Woodbutcher said:

Forget worrying about fashion statements , most important is finding shoes that are above all comfortable right from the get-go , no point in posing in shoes that look good but after ten minutes on the floor cripple you ... :wink:

I get the fashion statement comment but proper uk made shoes are more about a long lasting quality item rather than being a fashion statement.  You could spend as much or a lot more on fashion and look like a clown in something that won’t last a fraction of the time.

comfort also a big factor I’ve got some shoes that seem ok but on a long night out do kill my feet but it was impossible to know that when I tried them on and baught them.

Edited by Dylan
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert