The best soul album

2 hours ago, purist said:

Virtually all the albums I own were bought for one or two tracks to dance to or DJ with. Its always a joy when you play the other tracks and find great soul music. Many favourites have already been mentioned, not saying these are the greatest but how about -
The New Sounds New Sounds Turbo/PVine
Taylor Made Soul Bobby Taylor Gordy
This Time For Real Betty Wright Alston

Bobby Taylor album is class. Having given most of my last collection away I still have a sealed copy of this.

Peter

Social source share

Don’t think Randy brown “welcome to my room” has had a mention yet.  All his other lp’s are also great but it’s been a while since I’ve sat and listened to any lp all the way through 

Doris duke “I’m a loser”

Bobby Womack lp’s in general

• Up vote 3
Social source share

23 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Hope I can have a second go.

A man who needs a big shout is super cool soulman George Jackson. He wrote so many good records for other artists, producer, director, writer - he had it all. Mr Cool, Mississippi drawl an all.  May he rest in peace.

George Jackson in Muscle Shoals is well worth a listen and a listing.

Peter

😉

George Jackson superb

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Kev Cane said:

Jimmy Lewis-Totally Involved

Hesitations-Born Free

Sam Dees-Show must go on

Dell's-Sweet as Funk can be

Ojays-Family reunion 

Greg Perry-One for the road

Millie Jackson-Lovingly yours

Originals-Portrait of

Bobby Womack-Communication

Bobby Womack-Home is where the heart is

Willie Hutch-Ode to my lady 

And that's without really thinking 😆 

Kev 

Greg Perry - One for the road had to be bought for - "Will she still meet the train in the rain." just love the title -  "Come on Down"  is the track though

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Detroit My home town. Previously unreleased Detroit soul inc. Deon Jackson, Stylists, JJ Barnes, Jimmy Gilford, Sharon McMahan, Popcorn Wylie, Perfections, Jimmy Delphs, Rose Battiste, Tony Hester, Bobby Sheppard and Jimmy Scruggs.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I’ve been watching this thread for days, asking myself, given what’s been mentioned so far, what is really good, i.e., if you are having a beer, settling down, searching for something on a Friday night,  what do you go straight to, because you know you can drop the needle and sit back and enjoy, so here goes.

Both Manhattans Carnival LPs, For You and yours' & 'Dedicated to You'
Willie Hutch - Soul Portrait - already mentioned, but it’s so good you have to!
Ronnie McNeir - Ronnie McNeir, RCA & Tamla Motown releases of the same name.
Larry Saunders - Prophet of Soul plus his others
Leo's Sunship - We need each other
Millie Jackson - all of em! but especially 'Still Caught Up'
Both Mike James Kirkland Lp's inc Doin it Right
King Floyd - Heart of the matter, which ever label you have it on.
Betty Wright, all her Alston Lp's but esp 'I love the way You Love'
JJ Barnes - Steve Mancha - Rare Stamps
Gwen McCrae - Rockin Chair / CAT
Doris Duke - I’m a Loser / Canyon

Glen Anthony Henry - Relax and Love, massive Lp in 2008, upbeat thumpin tracks !
Jesse James - Let me show you / Soul Junction, brilliant LP throughout...
Windy City - Let Me ride / Chi City
Ecstasy Passion & Pain - Roulette - great throughout!

My favourite Lp, which defies all, what label have you got it on? Bull shit, because it don’t matter!

Terry Callier - Timepeace, 9 brilliant songs from the very missed Terry Callier 😞

That’s mi lot.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

11 hours ago, Shinehead said:

Surprised you thought she was underrated, the two Caught Up albums were massive sellers in the U.S. and I remember at the time Blues and Soul getting behind these albums and I was the first through the door for the first album on delivery to my local record shop.

Her albums prior to those were good too as were few after but sadly her material got a bit smutty and although most lps after had few tracks of note the rest were quite poor, but I will still remember the thrill of hearing those two albums in the Caught Up series and how they changed my outlook on soul music forever.

Vocally Millie is up there with the very best in my opinion.

Has Millie ever explained the change in direction? Was it a strategic choice to move away from emotional heartbreak to more risque material?

If she has been underrated, maybe her later career direction disguised her true talents for a lot of people, although there were always flashes of it, despite poor choices like "Back to the sh%t".

Social source share

On 13/08/2024 at 19:58, Jaco said:

The Songtress contains one of the greatest vocal performances ever. “No more tears” for which, according to Richard S, the final cut was done in just one take. Michael Powell, Otis Smith, Patrick Moten collaboration - pure magic. The short lived Beverly Glen label didn’t half put out some great albums 

Totally agree, the releases by Bobby, Johnnie Taylor and Chapter 8 also outstanding. A shame that Otis Smith wasn't as above board as he should have been.

Re Anita, I rate her 1990 "Compositions" album very highly - one side was recorded live but the whole thing is just a masterpiece of musicianship and artistry. Her last collaboration with Michael Powell, unfortunately.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 12/08/2024 at 22:36, Shinehead said:

Listening now to the Lou Courtney on Spotify, seems like a missed a winner 🙂

I do own the single though "Somebody New Is Lovin On You" but never really gave it a chance , too many records and not enough time to give some time to hit home.

Great album, produced by Jerry Ragovoy. Not long after he produced Dionne Warwick's "Then came you" LP, which is just a masterpiece to these ears. Norman Jay hammered "Move me no mountain" deservedly for many years, and there's a terrific version of "I can't wait to see my baby's face", but this is a track that doesn't get enough recognition:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

Dionne Warwick's "Then came you" LP, which is just a masterpiece to these ears. Norman Jay hammered "Move me no mountain" deservedly for many years, and there's a terrific version of "I can't wait to see my baby's face", but this is a track that doesn't get enough recognition:

Great to see some cheap lps getting some recognition this lp and the Anita Baker lps are well deserved mentions.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Shinehead said:

Surprised you thought she was underrated, the two Caught Up albums were massive sellers in the U.S. and I remember at the time Blues and Soul getting behind these albums and I was the first through the door for the first album on delivery to my local record shop.

Her albums prior to those were good too as were few after but sadly her material got a bit smutty and although most lps after had few tracks of note the rest were quite poor, but I will still remember the thrill of hearing those two albums in the Caught Up series and how they changed my outlook on soul music forever.

Vocally Millie is up there with the very best in my opinion.

Agree Millie is up there with the very best.

But Vastly underrated. Hardly anyone outside the soul fraternity has even heard of 

Millie Jackson.  Diana Ross,Tina Turner,Gladys Knight, Aretha Frankin yes.

To me her albums are far better .

So to me talented enough to be a household name.......underrated by far.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tobytyke said:

But Vastly underrated. Hardly anyone outside the soul fraternity has even heard of 

She was awesome there's no denying her talent. Even "in the know" all niter goers rarely got past "A House for Sale", great dance track that it was, is.

Peter

Edited by Peter99
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

47 minutes ago, Tobytyke said:

This is despite her recording a duet with Elton John, "Act of war", which made it to 32 in the UK singles chart in 1985. Once again, maybe not the best choice for her to be taken seriously more widely ... it was a fun pop record that took advantage of her theatrics vocally and in the video, which was the whole point (I vaguely remember Tina Turner being asked first, rather like Dusty Springfield was first choice before Kiki Dee got "Don't go breaking my heart". Tina would have probably got more airplay.)

The following year Millie released a decent LP on Jive Records, "An imitation of love". That was an effort to be serious as it had none of the smutty stuff, but she was maybe let down a little by the production which is very much of its time. Some very good tracks on the album though.

Social source share

Favourites off the top of my head!

Tommie Young - Do you still feel the same way - Soul Power

Marvelettes - Sophisticated soul - Tamla

Timothy Wilson - Same - H&L

Jj Barnes - Born again - Perception

Debbie Taylor - Comin down on you - Today

• Up vote 2
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Favourites off the top of my head!

Tommie Young - Do you still feel the same way - Soul Power

Marvelettes - Sophisticated soul - Tamla

Timothy Wilson - Same - H&L

Jj Barnes - Born again - Perception

Debbie Taylor - Comin down on you - Today

Good shout for Debbie Taylor. I may have missed it but I've not seen her name yet.

Peter

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread. Totally agree with Anita Baker's "Rapture" - a gamechanger for me. I've always been more of an LP kind of guy.

Other faves of mine are:

Leon Ware - Musical Massage

Marvin Gaye - Come Get To This

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

Bobby Womack - The Poet

Luther Vandross - The Night I Fell In Love

Quincy Jones - The Dude

Michael Jackson - Off The Wall

Jill Scott - Beautifully Human

Trina Broussard - Same Girl

Adriana Evans - Adriana Evans

Edited by Daved
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

That's a strong line-up, only Trina Broussard is missing from my collection.

Some others in my top list include

Change - Miracles

Charles Jackson - Passionate Breezes

Walter Jackson - Good to see you

Bobby Womack - Someday we'll all be free & Roads of Life

Nancy Wilson - Lady with a song

Sister Sledge - We are family

George Benson - Give me the night

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 12/08/2024 at 09:02, Shinehead said:

"Caught Up" Millie Jackson 

Correct.

On 12/08/2024 at 11:17, Shinehead said:

Not a great fan of live albums but James Brown " Live At The Appolo " and a non soul album Bob Marley " Live At The Lyceum " are two that capture the vibe and feeling of the night on vinyl for me.

Add Bill Withers live at Carnegie Hall 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 13/08/2024 at 18:48, Kev Cane said:

Jimmy Lewis-Totally Involved

Hesitations-Born Free

Sam Dees-Show must go on

Dell's-Sweet as Funk can be

Ojays-Family reunion 

Greg Perry-One for the road

Millie Jackson-Lovingly yours

Originals-Portrait of