The best soul album

Apologies if it’s been done before but what do you reckon is the best soul album by a single artist or group, as opposed to a compilation 

Just listening to Archie Bell ‘Tighten up’ and thinking it would have a claim - Tighten up pt’s 1 & 2, When you left heartaches began, A Thousand Wonders’, plus other great stuff. William Bell ‘Bound to happen’ comes to mind as another contender, also Carla Thomas ‘Memphis Queen’

Social source share

Irma Thomas, 'In Between Tears', 

Loleatta Holloway 'Cry To Me'

Doris Duke, 'A  legend In Her Own Time'

Esther Phillips, "From A Whisper To A Scream'

Sandra Wright, 'Wounded Woman'

and not forgetting the boys-

Otis Redding, 'Otis Blue'

The Esquires, 'Get Up & Get Away'

Leroy Hutson, 'Hutson' 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

As already mentioned, the Sam Dees, Doris Duke & Sandra Wright LP's + 'New Religion' take some beating. 

I used 'New Religion' as a learning tool back in 66 ... trying to track down copies of the original versions of each track on the album.

The Impressions also put out numerous great albums, as did their old leader Curtis after he went solo. 

James Carr's 'You Got My Mind Messed Up' and the first two Sam & Dave Stax albums from 1966 are great too.

As a spin off thread, it'd also be great to learn what Sourcer's fave live albums were.  

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

46 minutes ago, Roburt said:

As a spin off thread, it'd also be great to learn what Sourcer's fave live albums were.  

Not a great fan of live albums but James Brown " Live At The Appolo " and a non soul album Bob Marley " Live At The Lyceum " are two that capture the vibe and feeling of the night on vinyl for me.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Jaco said:

Would have been my choice. I remember thinking that this was soul music on a completely different level to what I heard before. 50 years on and "I'm tired of hiding" and "I'm through trying to prove my love to you" still bring goosebumps when listening. Simply amazing.

" Still Caught Up" is on par too but it was the first one that had me the same thinking as you too.

Edited by Shinehead
Social source share

2 hours ago, Garswood said:

For me, has to be pieces of a man by gil Scott heron, what an album, not one bad track on it and if I may, soul superman by the hesitations another album without a bad track 👍

That's a good shout and one I will go with today. My "best" or "favouritisms" move with the sand. 

Peter

😉

Social source share

Because Bobby is my favourite artist I'll have to give his Poet 1 and Poet 2 albums a shout.

Poet 1 marked one of Bobby's comebacks from the wilderness.

The man really has some extremely diverse and prolific output.

Rest in Peace Bobby.

Peter

😉

Good thread - plenty of new stuff to go at already.

Peter

😉

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

" Still Caught Up" is on par too but it was the first one that had me the same thinking as you too.

Yep, agree on "Still caught up" The end of "I still love (you still love me)" is complete genius. Disturbing, but genius.

Social source share

Hi Chris

I hope you're well my friend. Great thread, I hope you don't mind my "complimentary" comment, so; 

Many of our favourite artists bared their heartaches, torment, addictions and loves on their albums. It's like we had to delve into their albums to get "some" understanding of the man/woman.

Keep posting everyone - this is going to be one of those "great educator" threads.

Thanks Chris.

Peter

😉

Social source share

Did this topic a few months  to great feedback 

big Lp collector always looking for recommendations 

A few I,m playing at moment 

Otis Clay  P vine. Brill

100% poison. 
Soul session Jnr Walker 

Soul Master Edwin Starr

Cheers Richard

• Up vote 1
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

"Is That Enough" one of Marvins best songs from the seventies nearly 8 minutes of perfection.

I know very little of Marvin's music. Just playing this from the album. Quality

The shouts for Millie Jackson are good ones. Had her on all morning.

Peter

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Chalky said:

and Still Caught Up, two of the greatest

Lou Courtney "I'm In The Need Of Love" one of the finest ever!

Good shout Chalky

I picked up on this from one of Dean's "album only" show's I think. The Common Broken Heart I think was the track he played - sounds great with volume.

I hope you're well buddy.

Peter

Social source share

Hope I can have a second go.

A man who needs a big shout is super cool soulman George Jackson. He wrote so many good records for other artists, producer, director, writer - he had it all. Mr Cool, Mississippi drawl an all.  May he rest in peace.

George Jackson in Muscle Shoals is well worth a listen and a listing.

Peter

😉

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

and Still Caught Up, two of the greatest

Lou Courtney "I'm In The Need Of Love" one of the finest ever!

I mentioned "Still Caught Up" in a later post, nothing to choose between them in my opinion and the rap to the song  "Leftovers" is sublime and the venom Millie spits out in the song is brilliant.

Much to my shame not heard the Lou Courtney album.

Edited by Shinehead
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

Good shout Chalky

I picked up on this from one of Dean's "album only" show's I think. The Common Broken Heart I think was the track he played - sounds great with volume.

I hope you're well buddy.

Peter

Good mate, likewise I hope.

29 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

I mentioned "Still Caught Up" in a later post, nothing to choose between them in my opinion and the rap to the song  "Leftovers" is sublime and the venom Millie spits out in the song is brilliant.

Much to my shame not heard the Lou Courtney album.

sorry missed the Still Caught Up post.

Here's the full Lou C album, perfection personified!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Good mate, likewise I hope.

sorry missed the Still Caught Up post.

Here's the full Lou C album, perfection personified!

Listening now to the Lou Courtney on Spotify, seems like a missed a winner 🙂

I do own the single though "Somebody New Is Lovin On You" but never really gave it a chance , too many records and not enough time to give some time to hit home.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

a few I have enjoyed over the years

Top of the Line - Phillip Mitchell

Rare stamps - JJ Barnes & Steve Mancha

This is Eleanor Mills - Eleanor Mills

Could it be Magic - Anthony White

Wounded Woman - Sandra Wright

Sweetest piece of the Pie - Bobby Thurston

Caviar & Chitlins - The Exciters

Whats Going On - Marvin Gaye

Ship Ahoy - the Ojays

Standing Oviaton - The Mighty Dells

and last but not least

Mighty Love - The Spinners

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Hi Chris

I hope you're well my friend. Great thread, I hope you don't mind my "complimentary" comment, so; 

Many of our favourite artists bared their heartaches, torment, addictions and loves on their albums. It's like we had to delve into their albums to get "some" understanding of the man/woman.

Keep posting everyone - this is going to be one of those "great educator" threads.

Thanks Chris.

Peter

All good thanks Peter, thanks for the contributions and everyone for theirs - some great choices 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Outofstep said:

I know it is a little obvious,but how about.

Darrell Banks is here .

Hello mate

This is the very strange world of soul music on Soul Source - take it from me, nothing is ever obvious. 😉

It looks like you're a fairly new member, so welcome to the site. I look forward to seeing your posts.

Best wishes.

Peter 

👍

Social source share

1 minute ago, Peter99 said:

Hello mate

This is the very strange world of soul music on Soul Source - take it from me, nothing is ever obvious. 😉

It looks like you're a fairly new member, so welcome to the site. I look forward to seeing your posts.

Best wishes.

Peter 

👍

Hi Peter.

No not a new member , l just don't  post much.  I,m too caught up reading and learning from others posts

Does that make me a lurker?.

Social source share

Virtually all the albums I own were bought for one or two tracks to dance to or DJ with. Its always a joy when you play the other tracks and find great soul music. Many favourites have already been mentioned, not saying these are the greatest but how about -
The New Sounds New Sounds Turbo/PVine
Taylor Made Soul Bobby Taylor Gordy
This Time For Real Betty Wright Alston

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!